Chiang Mai Golf Festival 2015

sticklee

The festival has been announced and tournament dates are set. A saw a large notice up, at Stardome. Sorry, I didn't make a note of tournament dates. Same price as last year. Not a good deal at several courses whch currently have better promotions. Discover Thainess!!.

Edited by sticklee

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering if anyone knows whether Alpine will continue the policy of making people take carts during the festival as they did last year. I chose not to play there at all because of it though I enjoy the course.

In my opinion, when you live or visit another country, you should appreciate the language accommodations and efforts that are made instead of criticising their attempts because it's not up to your standards.

Edited by GBHK

Do you need a handicap to play the comps?

Being a foreigner is sufficient handicap in most tournaments here. biggrin.png

I am sure those who have played before will chip in (Golf term rolleyes.gif) Or call the courses you want to play.

Only ever played one tournament here, the longest most frustrating 6 and three quarter hours of golf ever,once was enough.

Edited by Thailand

In my opinion, when you live or visit another country, you should appreciate the language accommodations and efforts that are made instead of criticising their attempts because it's not up to your standards.

Great deals available but as you said there will always be those to criticise and nitpick something, usually TV members.

Handicapping is by using the 'System 36' method. So you essentially play with a handicap of the day.. It makes cheating difficult. I have 3 trophies that indicate anyone has a fair shot of winning. A, B, C and Ladies flights are played. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd win trophies. Both Alpine and Highlands tournaments are long sold out. Most courses want the entry fee paid upfront.

If you are expecting a competition, forget it. The rules under which these events function are more about having fun. Prizes are awarded on a random access basis.

Not a great fan of Alpine myself. Fairways are watered so heavily there's no roll. For someone like me, brought up on windy courses where you keep the ball low, Alpine is a struggle.

If you are expecting a competition, forget it. The rules under which these events function are more about having fun. Prizes are awarded on a random access basis.

Not a great fan of Alpine myself. Fairways are watered so heavily there's no roll. For someone like me, brought up on windy courses where you keep the ball low, Alpine is a struggle.

I guess if system 36 is used there are rules and as post 9 points out difficult to manipulate?

Somewhat different to one result I saw at a tournament here about 5 years ago where players gave their handicaps at the beginning of the tournament, 1st cash prize went to a net 51,second prize with a net 53! tongue.png

I played Royal Chiang Mai the other day. A arrived around noon and walked a wonderful round under three hours without seeing a single person on the course. That is a rare and wonderful thing in Thailand, it was like having my own private course. I'll take a little heat over 5 hour rounds any day of the week. On the downside, the greens are way too slow for my liking at Royal Chiang Mai.

I played the Royal this morning. Same situation, very nice! And agreed about the greens, so slow, very difficult to get used to. Too slow for a top course. Just means we will have to play more there while the festival deal is on. Such a nice drive there, great course, and like you say seemingly no-one on there. We never saw another golfer, but there were a few who slowly came into the 19th afterwards.

Net 51? No-one with a true handicap should shoot 51....bet he feels good to win it by being a cheat, nice one

The way the system 36 system is set up, it is designed to basically make 'winning' a result of the luck of the draw.. They pick 4 random holes for your handicap, get your score on those, then another 4 holes, and compare the results.. If you did a lot worse on the four that they use for the handicap, then the ones the other 4, then you have a chance of winning.. (I think! haha)

Basically, it eliminates the need to worry about others cheating, and also gives everyone a 'fair' shot. Personally, I think the old thai guys love it, cause every once in a while, they go home with a trophy, and get to tell their wives 'I won'. Same with the long drive.. It's not actually longest drive, it's closest to a stripe down the middle.

I just wish they would explain to everyone that their score really isn't important, and that they should pick up once they've reached double bogey.

The way the system 36 system is set up, it is designed to basically make 'winning' a result of the luck of the draw.. They pick 4 random holes for your handicap, get your score on those, then another 4 holes, and compare the results.. If you did a lot worse on the four that they use for the handicap, then the ones the other 4, then you have a chance of winning.. (I think! haha)

Basically, it eliminates the need to worry about others cheating, and also gives everyone a 'fair' shot. Personally, I think the old thai guys love it, cause every once in a while, they go home with a trophy, and get to tell their wives 'I won'. Same with the long drive.. It's not actually longest drive, it's closest to a stripe down the middle.

I just wish they would explain to everyone that their score really isn't important, and that they should pick up once they've reached double bogey.

While that may be so in some tournaments, the Golf Festival tournys use the entire score. I've entered 10 over the past past years and it has always been the way of scoring in these events. Double bogies and over do not incur a stroke against your handicap but, if you wish to have a completed score, you still need to hole out to establish your gross. An incomplete scorecard is a disqualification.

Can you explain how the 'whole score is used' , or do you mean, the whole score card? What part of my understanding is incorrect? If the wost score is a double bogey, why does it hurt to card yourself for a double and pick up?

The double bogey thing sounds a bit confused between handicapping and competition scoring. .

For handicap purposes, the worst score allowed is a double bogey. The maximum male handicap allowed is 36 ( Men ). Therefore, in a Stableford competition off a 36 handicap ( two strokes per hole ) it is possible to have triple bogeys for 18 holes and still score a point per hole.

Par ( Bogey ) competitions one should pick up as soon as it is no longer possible to halve the hole. That's basic golf etiquette.

For handicap stroke competitions, one must hole out no matter what the score is, otherwise disqualification for failure to complete a hole.

I don't expect too much from competitions in Thailand. As I've said before, prizegiving seems to be on a random access basis. Just enjoy the day out.

Definition: System 36 is a same-day handicapping system similar in function to Callaway System and Peoria System. It allows golfers who do not have a handicap index to play golf tournaments and compete for low-net titles or prizes. The "handicap" is determined following the round according to System 36 strictures.

Here's how System 36 works:

Throughout the round, the golfer accrues points based on the following formula:

• Double bogey or worse - 0 points
  • Bogey - 1 point
  • Par or better - 2 points

At the end of the round, points earned are tallied. The total is subtracted from 36, and the resulting number is the golfer's handicap allowance. His net score can then be computed using his System 36 handicap allowance.

For example, let's say you go out and shoot 90, and along the way to that 90 you have seven pars, nine bogeys, and two double-bogeys or worse.

First, calculate your accrued points:
7 (pars) x 2 (points per par) = 14
9 (bogeys) x 1 (point per bogey) = 9
2 (doubles or worse) x 0 (points per double) = 0

So your point total is 23. Now, subtract this total from 36:
36 - 23 = 13

So 13 is your handicap allowance. Now apply this to your gross score:
90 - 13 = 77

And 77 is your net score based on System 36 handicapping.

Thank you for posting that, hopefully it will clear any confusion. Regarding 'random' prize giving. Yes, there are random prize draws. The trophies awarded are according to the net, calculated scores. There is a 'leaderboard' with everyone's results and standings. If it was random, I'd be the luckiest player in the city having 3 flight wins in 35% of the events entered.

Thank you for posting that, hopefully it will clear any confusion. Regarding 'random' prize giving. Yes, there are random prize draws. The trophies awarded are according to the net, calculated scores. There is a 'leaderboard' with everyone's results and standings. If it was random, I'd be the luckiest player in the city having 3 flight wins in 35% of the events entered.

Ok, but how does picking up after double change anything?

You are confused. No one 'picks up' at any time, how could you have a score for 18 holes if you did? In stroke play there are no 'gimmes'. If you are playing a Match Play competition your opponent can award you a putt OR if you have lost the hole you pick up. If you are playing a Stableford scoring event you might as well pick up when you reach a point of not being able to score any points on a hole, and you MUST hole out to complete the hole if you are scoring points. If you are scoring your round for handicap purposes only you could pick up after double bogey, see post 18. But under NO circumstances can you complete a gross score on a round if you have 'picked up'. In reality no one gives a shit what you may do in a round, just don't brag about shooting an 85 when you've had a mulligan, picked up on a hole ( although friends do give you the short ones), infringed any rule, improved your lie, etc., etc. Best advice, pick a comprehensive rule book and familiarize yourself. Too many people don't, one of the reasons I stopped playing competitively.

Picking up ( in theory ) changes the speed of play. It's a courtesy to your fellow players and the group behind you on the course.

You can't pick up in stroke competition without disqualification. You can pick up in Stableford or Par competitions if it's no longer possible to score on the hole.

Speed of play in Thailand is sometimes abysmal. Many golfers ( falangs included ) have no idea how to organise themselves to move quickly. Caddies who leave clubs at the front of greens are equally guilty. Play "ready golf". That means when you get to the next tee, don't wait for the person who has the honour to hit off. Hit when ready.

I absolutely refuse to play at Hang Dong ever again, after six and a half hours for 18 holes.

Picking up ( in theory ) changes the speed of play. It's a courtesy to your fellow players and the group behind you on the course.

You can't pick up in stroke competition without disqualification. You can pick up in Stableford or Par competitions if it's no longer possible to score on the hole.

Speed of play in Thailand is sometimes abysmal. Many golfers ( falangs included ) have no idea how to organise themselves to move quickly. Caddies who leave clubs at the front of greens are equally guilty. Play

"ready golf". That means when you get to the next tee, don't wait for the person who has the honour to hit off. Hit when ready.

I absolutely refuse to play at Hang Dong ever again, after six and a half hours for 18 holes.

Agree, ready play is the way to go but try to get people to do it. As for Hang Dong it depends on when you play, 18 holes in 2 hours and 45 minutes for 2 players last Tuesday.

Speed of play in Thailand is sometimes abysmal. Many golfers ( falangs included ) have no idea how to organise themselves to move quickly. Caddies who leave clubs at the front of greens are equally guilty. Play

"ready golf". That means when you get to the next tee, don't wait for the person who has the honour to hit off. Hit when ready.

Agree, ready play is the way to go but try to get people to do it. As for Hang Dong it depends on when you play, 18 holes in 2 hours and 45 minutes for 2 players last Tuesday.

Yes, if I hit off at Hang Dong at 1.30 pm in the middle of summer I probably could have a fast round, assuming I didn't die of heat stroke first.

There are people that brag about a score of 85?

People off a 30 plus handicap brag about breaking 100.

It depends on the course - there are many scratch markers who wouldn't break 90 around Oakmont ( US ) off the blacks. Or Moonah Links ( Melbourne, Australia ) when the wind is up.

I'm not saying 85 isn't a good score on most courses and anyone can be happy with a particular score in regards to their handicap. However, bragging implies that people might be impressed, I don't know many regular golfers that would be unless maybe it was from the back tees of a championship course or in a particularly difficult conditions. Most semi competent hackers can get that score on a good day... It's like bragging about being a 15 or 20 handicapper. I've played around that handicap and there have been times, I was ecstatic about that score but I never thought of it being good in the grander scheme of thing. It was only good for me because I was and still am a hacker that hits the occasional good/lucky shot.