Chiang Mai Golf Festival 2015

sticklee

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played with many golfers around Chiang Mai and few I have seen score in the mid 80s. I'm sure there are plenty who can, I just havn't come across many. The point I am making is that you are only cheating yourself if you pick up after double bogey or do anything else that incurs strokes, and then score a round like it didn't happen. If you're playing for beers or dollars then you're cheating your friends. In the CMSG the majority of the golfers are high handicaps and they are all 'regular' golfers. I read somewhere once that only about 10% of all golfers regularly break 100, and 10% of those break 90. I played with a guy a couple weeks ago who was pleased he shot 88, problem was he took at least 4 mulligans. Obtuse, moi? your are the one asking why you can't pick up, it's been explained, you're not Lawrence from CMSG are you? Then again maybe not, he wouldn't be going anywhere near back tees.

Dude, you can't score any worse than a ZERO on a hole which is a DOUBLE bogey.. Par gets you two points, double or worse gets you a ZERO... There are no negatives. IT is very simple to call it a local rule, or whatever you want to call it for the sake of avoiding a six hour round of golf, and tell people they can pick up once they reach double. What don't you understand?? Please stop, you're embarassing yourself!!!!

Thank you for posting that, hopefully it will clear any confusion. Regarding 'random' prize giving. Yes, there are random prize draws. The trophies awarded are according to the net, calculated scores. There is a 'leaderboard' with everyone's results and standings. If it was random, I'd be the luckiest player in the city having 3 flight wins in 35% of the events entered.

Ok, but how does picking up after double change anything?

Picking up ( in theory ) changes the speed of play. It's a courtesy to your fellow players and the group behind you on the course.

You can't pick up in stroke competition without disqualification. You can pick up in Stableford or Par competitions if it's no longer possible to score on the hole.

Speed of play in Thailand is sometimes abysmal. Many golfers ( falangs included ) have no idea how to organise themselves to move quickly. Caddies who leave clubs at the front of greens are equally guilty. Play

"ready golf". That means when you get to the next tee, don't wait for the person who has the honour to hit off. Hit when ready.

I absolutely refuse to play at Hang Dong ever again, after six and a half hours for 18 holes.

Agree, ready play is the way to go but try to get people to do it. As for Hang Dong it depends on when you play, 18 holes in 2 hours and 45 minutes for 2 players last Tuesday.

Yes, if I hit off at Hang Dong at 1.30 pm in the middle of summer I probably could have a fast round, assuming I didn't die of heat stroke first.

Or tee off early, 3 of us,first nine, 2 second nine,finished 18 holes at 9.15am.

Obviously your tee off timing is wrong?

Does anybody know of any promotions (outside of sportday) at Santiburi?

Santiburi is currently running 800 baht for 18 during weekdays. Caddy 300 plus 300 baht tip, golf cart 600 baht. Can't take a cart without a caddy.

Check first, however - they have been coring and topdressing greens recently.

Or tee off early, 3 of us,first nine, 2 second nine,finished 18 holes at 9.15am.

Prepared to bet you couldn't do that in high season with the Japanese and Koreans that flood Hang Dong because it's cheap. You'd be running into a wall of sixes when you hit the second nine - and they make snails look like racehorses.

For a round of 2 hours 45 minutes, that means you hit off at 6.30 am. 30 minutes for me to get to Hang Dong from Nong Hoi, 30 minutes for breakfast and a shower, 45 minutes of required stretching exercises to get mobile - so I set my alarm for 4.45 am.

My tee timing might be wrong; however, I'm just not that keen anymore.

Prepared to bet you couldn't do that in high season with the Japanese and Koreans that flood Hang Dong because it's cheap. You'd be running into a wall of sixes when you hit the second nine - and they make snails look like racehorses.

For a round of 2 hours 45 minutes, that means you hit off at 6.30 am. 30 minutes for me to get to Hang Dong from Nong Hoi, 30 minutes for breakfast and a shower, 45 minutes of required stretching

exercises to get mobile - so I set my alarm for 4.45 am.

So you could but you don't, that's different.

High season, simply play 9 holes more often and miss the hordes if we want to play HangDong on a regular basis.

Perfect at the moment, plenty of courses, reasonable prices and very few visitors. And probably at least 5 more months of it.

For a round of 2 hours 45 minutes, that means you hit off at 6.30 am. 30 minutes for me to get to Hang Dong from Nong Hoi, 30 minutes for breakfast and a shower, 45 minutes of required stretching

High season, simply play 9 holes more often and miss the hordes if we want to play HangDong on a regular basis.

Perfect at the moment, plenty of courses, reasonable prices and very few visitors. And probably at least 5 more months of it.

I think you've misunderstood what I'm saying - getting up at 4.45 am is strictly for masochists.

I get up at 6 am, 9 holes at Gymkhana 5 minutes away at 8.30 am, finished by 10.30 am - no problem.

Ok, so Gymkhana can be tough for those who don't like water and tight fairways. Mai Bpen Rai. It is what it is.

The 8th hole at Hang Dong is an good, interesting challenge in club selection. The 2nd green was conceived by a drunk - should be dug up and relaid without the buried Volkswagen Beetle. A bulldozer through the shower/toilet facilities would also be a start. Disgusting.

The only thing Hang Dong has going for it is cost. Otherwise, a quite ordinary layout I don't need to play again.

I think you've misunderstood what I'm saying - getting up at 4.45 am is strictly for masochists.

I get up at 6 am, 9 holes at Gymkhana 5 minutes away at 8.30 am, finished by 10.30 am - no problem.

Ok, so Gymkhana can be tough for those who don't like water and tight fairways. Mai Bpen Rai. It is what it is.

The 8th hole at Hang Dong is an good, interesting challenge in club selection. The 2nd green was conceived by a drunk - should be dug up and relaid without the buried Volkswagen Beetle. A bulldozer through the shower/toilet facilities would also be a start. Disgusting.

The only thing Hang Dong has going for it is cost. Otherwise, a quite ordinary layout I don't need to play again.

Fair comment. I am awake around 5am everyday,that's what old age brings on!

One I like is Sand Creek which is probably the toughest little course around. Really gets to a lot of people who think they are good players. Certainly playing it for the first time, it has to actually be managed and more water and trees than Gymkhana.

Currently only THB230 including caddy for 18 holes.

Inthanon and Highland are probably my favourites. Have yet to play the "new" Gassan Legacy but penciled in for this month.

There are people that brag about a score of 85?

My first ever game of golf which I played when I turned 60 and a bit years young was a score that Ronnie O Sullivan would have been proud of, 147.

Brag, not sure but I am damn pleased to hit 85, which I have now done on quite a few occasions with a low of 79 and a number of low 80's not too bad for an old fart not far away from three score and ten.

We are not all Rory McIlroy, but to put his 61 last week in to perspective, it was only one shot a hole better than my best.(-:

More water than trees than Gymkhana? Wow. Have to give it a try if I can find it. Anyone else notice Mae Jo needs a compass to find it?

My turn to brag. Shot 39 around Gymkhana today, at age 72.

Not quite on the same course and conditions. You might be closer to 147 than 79 on a course that is set up for pros. Another good reason to be modest about scores...

My first ever game of golf which I played when I turned 60 and a bit years young was a score that Ronnie O Sullivan would have been proud of, 147.

Brag, not sure but I am damn pleased to hit 85, which I have now done on quite a few occasions with a low of 79 and a number of low 80's not too bad for an old fart not far away from three score and ten.

We are not all Rory McIlroy, but to put his 61 last week in to perspective, it was only one shot a hole better than my best.(-:

Not quite on the same course and conditions. You might be closer to 147 than 79 on a course that is set up for pros. Another good reason to be modest about scores...

I'll bet you are fun to play with! (-:

More water than trees than Gymkhana? Wow. Have to give it a try if I can find it. Anyone else notice Mae Jo needs a compass to find it?

My turn to brag. Shot 39 around Gymkhana today, at age 72.

Awesome, congrats. Brag away.

Why not talk about how hard you worked on your game? How many hours you spent on the chipping area.. How many balls you hit at the range. How many times you watched a video of your swing with a pro..

Instead, we have to read some score on a 4500 yard course, followed by a person's age. "Not bad for just shy of 70!" Age is much less a factor than what kind of condition your body is in.. Of course those tend to go together, but for example, my father worked hard labor for some years, fought some tough illnesses, whatever scores he was posting at 55 with arthritic hands are probably a lot more impressive than the scores being posted here by the near 70 year olds.

If you want to get a feel for real golf, go play Alpine from the back tees, and then you have a score that you can compare to what a pro shoots. The winner of the event was somewhere around 17 under, and probably isn't in the top 200 in the world.. Or, maybe he is now, but the point is, the top players there were playing that course very well, and they are quite far from playing on the PGA tour. Keep in mind, they were actually playing with a much thicker rough, but they were playing lift clean and place. Go out there in the afternoon sometime, play it off the back tees, and see if you can break 100. That is REAL golf. On hole numbers 4 and 11 they didn't use the back most tee box, but the rest, they did.

Having played on a few courses that were being made ready for large tournaments, I would say that the biggest challenge is the rough. The courses let it grow significantly and it makes it hard to find balls and you really get punished for being off the fairway and not hitting greens. Now if you have to chip from that rough onto a green that is crazy fast, best of luck trying to be up and down. Add to that the extra thousand yards. For most golfers, it means that you either accept getting on par four in three shots in order to use shorter irons to hit more fairways or you hit your woods all day long, lose a few balls and get massacred on the short game. I would agree that very few golfers would break 100 on a pro tournament set up.

Why not talk about how hard you worked on your game? How many hours you spent on the chipping area.. How many balls you hit at the range. How many times you watched a video of your swing with a pro..

Instead, we have to read some score on a 4500 yard course, followed by a person's age. "Not bad for just shy of 70!" Age is much less a factor than what kind of condition your body is in.. Of course those tend to go together, but for example, my father worked hard labor for some years, fought some tough illnesses, whatever scores he was posting at 55 with arthritic hands are probably a lot more impressive than the scores being posted here by the near 70 year olds.

If you want to get a feel for real golf, go play Alpine from the back tees, and then you have a score that you can compare to what a pro shoots. The winner of the event was somewhere around 17 under, and probably isn't in the top 200 in the world.. Or, maybe he is now, but the point is, the top players there were playing that course very well, and they are quite far from playing on the PGA tour. Keep in mind, they were actually playing with a much thicker rough, but they were playing lift clean and place. Go out there in the afternoon sometime, play it off the back tees, and see if you can break 100. That is REAL golf. On hole numbers 4 and 11 they didn't use the back most tee box, but the rest, they did.

Sorry Larry, on this I have to disagree with you. I'm speaking from personal experience. In my late fifties and early sixties I was quite competitive on the Australian Senior Amateur golf circuit. Runner-up in a state senior championship.

The average individual such as myself starts deteriorating due to lack of flexibility and chronic injury from about 65 on. It's very rare to find someone in their seventies who still plays off single figures, and they are to be admired. Paticularly those that can break their age.

It's all very well to say we should be out there hitting range balls and practising chipping. However, as the world's best practicer ( Ben Hogan ) said in the twilight of his career, he'd love to practice, but it hurts too much.

The deterioration is due to loss of distance. In my heyday, I would hit 12-14 greens in regulation. Now I'm lucky to hit 4 - 6. When you are hitting your second into a green with a 3-wood, 4-iron or rescue instead of the 7 or 8 iron you used to hit, it's a lot more difficult. And it places much more pressure on your chipping, sand saves and putting.

There is no point comparing amateurs with professionals. I've seen a very good pro who can't even make it onto the PGA tour practice wedge shots for 3 hours solid. I've watched Arnold Palmer alternate between hitting 1-irons quail high and sky-high into the same 30 foot circle 240 metres out. Amateur golfers off scratch just don't compare.

Personally, I'd like to see the powers that be accommodate the older golfer by offering graded tee-off positions to allow for the distance differential.

I can just manage to play Santiburi off the blues, although the whites are much easier.

As for playing off the back tees at Alpine, I accept my limitations and don't need to prove anything to anyone. That doesn't mean we can't take pride in the occasional good round, or simply enjoy being on the right side of the grass.

Back on topic.

The Chiangmai Golf Festival 2015 continues until the end of June with the various courses still holding competitions and offering some good prices for, in some cases, top class courses.

After that there will no doubt be more deals to attract players prior to the return of the high season in November. We will try to keep the info up to date on ChiangmaiGolfCourses .com/blog however should you have any alternative information please post here or on the comments section of the blog.

Thanks.

What many golfers and other weekend warriors in various sports often don't seem to realise is that when you are young, you can do your favorite activity/sports to keep fit but when you get older, it's important to keep your body in good shape in order to enjoy your favorite activity. Of course, golf and proper exercise were not always associated but one of the things that Tiger Woods has brought to the game of golf is an athleticism that was sorely lacking in the past. It's hard to say the word athlete when you see Jimenez, Daly or Clarke on a course though these fellows have incredible talent and skills.

It's healthier and better for your game to do low impact activities, aerobic work and stretching and drills a few days a week accompanied by light chipping and putting than trying to hammer it on the range and play on the course day after day. Unfortunately many people and golfers in particular tend to be hedonists and find proper physical preparation tedious.

Sorry Larry, on this I have to disagree with you. I'm speaking from personal experience. In my late fifties and early sixties I was quite competitive on the Australian Senior Amateur golf circuit. Runner-up in a state senior championship.

The average individual such as myself starts deteriorating due to lack of flexibility and chronic injury from about 65 on. It's very rare to find someone in their seventies who still plays off single figures, and they are to be admired. Paticularly those that can break their age.

It's all very well to say we should be out there hitting range balls and practising chipping. However, as the world's best practicer ( Ben Hogan ) said in the twilight of his career, he'd love to practice, but it hurts too much.

The deterioration is due to loss of distance. In my heyday, I would hit 12-14 greens in regulation. Now I'm lucky to hit 4 - 6. When you are hitting your second into a green with a 3-wood, 4-iron or rescue instead of the 7 or 8 iron you used to hit, it's a lot more difficult. And it places much more pressure on your chipping, sand saves and putting.

There is no point comparing amateurs with professionals. I've seen a very good pro who can't even make it onto the PGA tour practice wedge shots for 3 hours solid. I've watched Arnold Palmer alternate between hitting 1-irons quail high and sky-high into the same 30 foot circle 240 metres out. Amateur golfers off scratch just don't compare.

Personally, I'd like to see the powers that be accommodate the older golfer by offering graded tee-off positions to allow for the distance differential.

I can just manage to play Santiburi off the blues, although the whites are much easier.

As for playing off the back tees at Alpine, I accept my limitations and don't need to prove anything to anyone. That doesn't mean we can't take pride in the occasional good round, or simply enjoy being on the right side of the grass.

Edited by GBHK

Back on topic.

The Chiangmai Golf Festival 2015 continues until the end of June with the various courses still holding competitions and offering some good prices for, in some cases, top class courses.

After that there will no doubt be more deals to attract players prior to the return of the high season in November. We will try to keep the info up to date on ChiangmaiGolfCourses .com/blog however should you have any alternative information please post here or on the comments section of the blog.

Thanks.

"Alpine are insisting everyone takes a cart at THB2000"

Thailand, I am curious whether the information regarding Alpine and having to take a cart is correct. They have published rates on a big billboard, which afaik, does not include anything about a mandatory cart. I have seen plenty of people out there walking when I play, so I am really not sure of the accuracy of that statement.

Your site also doesn't mention that Legacy was redone by the impressive team of Schmidt-Curley, who are also responsible for Chiang Mai Highlands. Last I checked there, they had a deal of 1500 baht, all inclusive for Thailand residents. Some people might find that attractive.

I phoned them up last year before trekking over there and they confirmed that you had to take a cart to play during the special rate. That certainly wasn't the case before, it used to be my favorite course until they pulled that stunt. They could have changed the policy this year, I haven't bothered phoning to confirm. I refuse to play golf in a cart, it completely ruins the game for me and it's not the way the game should be played in my opinion. I respect the fact that it makes it more accessible for people with disabilities or that are not in good enough shape to play but forcing it on everyone is distasteful. It's a money grabbing scheme...

Back on topic.

Thanks.

Thailand, I am curious whether the information regarding Alpine and having to take a cart is correct. They have published rates on a big billboard, which afaik, does not include anything about a mandatory cart. I have seen plenty of people out there walking when I play, so I am really not sure of the accuracy of that statement.

Your site also doesn't mention that Legacy was redone by the impressive team of Schmidt-Curley, who are also responsible for Chiang Mai Highlands. Last I checked there, they had a deal of 1500 baht, all inclusive for Thailand residents. Some people might find that attractive.

Back on topic.

Thanks.

Alpine is THB1000 + Caddy fee THB300 + Golf cart THB700 Total THB2000

Members do not have to take carts so it's definitely a money grab.

Gassan Legacy:

http://www.chiangmaigolfcourses.com/blog/gassan-legacy-golf-club

http://www.chiangmaigolfcourses.com/blog/gassan-legacy-good-news