Security tightened at island airport, hotels after attack

Lite Beer

Security tightened at island airport, hotels after attack
SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE SUNDAY NATION

KOH SAMUI: -- HOTELS in Surat Thani's Koh Samui are tightening security measures following a bomb blast at a shopping mall on Friday night, while tourists are advised to be cautious when at public areas.

Samui Airport, under the management of Bangkok Airways, has tightened security to ensure passenger safety following the incident.

Supawan Tanomkieatipume, vice president of the Thai Hotels Association, said the bomb blast at a parking lot at Central Samui would scare tourists and local residents, but she expected the impact to be limited.

"I believe that the impact on tourism will be limited, as the event is being investigated by police and is not widespread," she said.

She added that hotels in Samui as well as in other major cities would tighten security in a bid to make people feel safer.

Supawan does not believe the bombing was politically motivated, and might have been the result of a conflict between locals or a personal issue.

"There's been no immediate cancellations by tourists who have booked hotel rooms in Samui during the Songkran Festival," she said.

According to Supawan, Samui is one of the top five destinations for local and international tourists in Thailand.

The famous island plans to celebrate the traditional Thai New Year from tomorrow until Wednesday, along with 15 other destinations across the country.

During the Songkran Festival, about 500,000 foreign tourists are expected to travel to the Kingdom, while about 2 million locals are expected to travel within the country.

Hotels in major tourist destinations such as Phuket, Pattaya, Chiang Mai and Samui are forecast to run at a 78 per cent average occupancy rate, 6.2 per up on the same time last year.

Hotels in Phuket are tipped to operate at the high average occupancy rate of 87 per cent, while business at hotels in Bangkok is expected to grow 12.2 per cent across the board year on year. The capital alone is forecast to receive about 2.5 million visitors during the festival.

In the first quarter, there were 7.8 million international arrivals to Thailand, up 23 per cent year on year. The sector is expected to continue to grow thanks to the lifting of martial law.

Samui Airport has tightened security after the explosion, its director Nutchayathorn Nutsudanijvipa said yesterday.

"Samui Airport has increased its security alert since Friday, following the recent incident. All vehicles entering the airport's premises and parking areas are thoroughly checked. Parking close to airport buildings and overnight parking is temporarily prohibited," she said.

Besides 24-hour CCTV monitoring, the number of security personnel has been increased to monitor the airport premises and the surrounding areas, especially the airport's terminals.

Additionally, Samui Airport is in close collaboration with local government agencies, including the police and military forces, with K9 units to help in the screening of passenger baggage before entering airport terminals. The airport has alerted and advised all airlines to strictly follow these procedures.

"These applied measures will ensure the passengers the highest security orders are implemented by the airport. Moreover, an Emergency Control Unit has been set up at the airport to assist passengers with information and advice. At present, Samui Airport is operating normally," the airport director said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Security-tightened-at-island-airport-hotels-after--30257908.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-12

<Supawan does not believe the bombing was politically motivated, and might have been the result of a conflict between locals or a personal issue>

so according to him it was a technical failure . .the bomb went off before the person it was aimed at unlocked the car?

the guy who armed the car being a bloody tosser ?

....we should always believe in what Thai authorities think up . . .'sarcasm off'

Surat Thani tourism association says car bomb has no impact

Surat Thani Tourism Promotion Association chairman Anek Nurak said Sunday that the car bomb attack at the CentralFestival Samui and the fire at the Surat Thani Cooperatives late Friday night have so far had no impact on tourism in the southern province.

He said Thais and foreigners still arrived in Surat Thani to visit its tourist destinations.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Surat-Thani-tourism-association-says-car-bomb-ha-n-30257921.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-12

The security guards in Makro Hua Hin were checking bags which, according to staff, was because of the car bomb on Samui.

To me this suggests the Samui car bombing could be part of something much bigger.

Btw, I've never seen anyone checking bags going into Hua Hin Makro before.

<Supawan does not believe the bombing was politically motivated, and might have been the result of a conflict between locals or a personal issue>

so according to him it was a technical failure . .the bomb went off before the person it was aimed at unlocked the car?

....we should always believe in what Thai authorities think up . . .'sarcasm off'

Khun Supawan is not a Thai official nor a member of the Thai Authorites.

SHE is a functionary in the local hotel association.

Just some desperate for a story person playing journalist picked her.

• Like 1

The Thais are facing major terrorism here with these car bombs and pipe bombs. They shrug it off, not concerned a bit. The world knows they haven't a clue. Look at the way they track the cause, perpetrators, and how seriously they take it. Any other country would be on high terror alert.

+1...Time to get serious ...

"I believe that the impact on tourism will be limited, as the event is being investigated by police and is not widespread," she said The scary part is it is being investigated by the police. The rest is propaganda to keep the tourist herd calm and sedated.

• Like 1

Likewise the same can be said of Khun Anek Nurak of his self styled Surat Thani Promotion Association, Thai wannabe's who start their own "Associations" are a dime a dozen down here and should be ignored !

Likewise the same can be said of Khun Anek Nurak of his self styled Surat Thani Promotion Association, Thai wannabe's who start their own "Associations" are a dime a dozen down here and should be ignored !

What I can tell you, last night Chaweng and Lamai were closed down, no one to be seen and until they catch these perps and find out who was responsible, things will stay this way, Joke country.

As I said in another OP same topic my DIL works at Samui Airport she called us this morning saying "thousands" of tourist are asking to leave the Island right now, but more scary and of course you wont read that in any media the police told them they are looking for "two" other supposed bombs on the island sad.png She went as far as telling us maybe you should stay home to morrow!

Tourists asking to leave? Who do they have to ask, their Mum?

car bomb attack at the CentralFestival Samui and the fire at the Surat Thani Cooperatives late Friday night have so far had no impact on tourism in the southern province.

If I was a terrorist...after reading this...I would make sure the next bomb had a dramatic impact on tourism in the southern province...

If I was a tourist...I would find areas of Thailand to visit which have less terrorist activity...

As I said in another OP same topic my DIL works at Samui Airport she called us this morning saying "thousands" of tourist are asking to leave the Island right now, but more scary and of course you wont read that in any media the police told them they are looking for "two" other supposed bombs on the island sad.png She went as far as telling us maybe you should stay home to morrow!

I love those typical member criticising every single words,"Who do they have to ask, their Mum?"coffee1.gif

No sir they asked to advance the departure date, since we are talking about airplanes, its seems to me anyone could have guess that in the sentence, so your irony is uncalled for.

Edited by Tchooptip
  • Like 2

Surat Thani tourism association says car bomb has no impact

Surat Thani Tourism Promotion Association chairman Anek Nurak said Sunday that the car bomb attack at the CentralFestival Samui and the fire at the Surat Thani Cooperatives late Friday night have so far had no impact on tourism in the southern province.

He said Thais and foreigners still arrived in Surat Thani to visit its tourist destinations.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Surat-Thani-tourism-association-says-car-bomb-ha-n-30257921.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-04-12

OF course not

I love those typical member criticising every single words,"Who do they have to ask, their Mum?"coffee1.gif

No sir they asked to advance the departure date, since we are talking about airplanes, its seems to me anyone could have guess that in the sentence, so your irony is uncalled for.

Sorry mate not buying into your scaremongering, and BTW my post is sarcasm not irony.

However I'm a fair guy and as English may not be your first language I will let that one pass.

Sorry mate not buying into your scaremongering, and BTW my post is sarcasm not irony.

However I'm a fair guy and as English may not be your first language I will let that one pass.

But the sarcasm really wasn't called for. I'm sure most readers took it as it was meant, "asking at departures".

What I can tell you, last night Chaweng and Lamai were closed down, no one to be seen and until they catch these perps and find out who was responsible, things will stay this way, Joke country.

A bit of an exageration there Crusty.

Do you really believe that 'Chaweng and Lamai were closed down, no one to be seen and until they catch these perps and find out who was responsible, things will stay this way'?

Poppycock.

What no one in Chaweng today???

Nothing stays the same.

BTW - who closed them down? New Year's Eve after all. I have never seen much action on the 12th.

• Like 1

"I believe that the impact on tourism will be limited, as the event is being investigated by police and is not widespread," she said The scary part is it is being investigated by the police. The rest is propaganda to keep the tourist herd calm and sedated.

For those of us who have been here awhile, the fact that it is being investigated by the police, means less than zero. The forensic capabilities of these guys is rather limited. Especially if we are talking about the Samui police who are simply a revenue collection agency. My guess is that the feds have some competence, so hopefully it is being investigated by the Thai FBI.

As far as the impact on tourism, only time will tell. My guess is that it will have a limited impact, initially.