Security stepped up in Samui – Photo ID needed to enter Central Festival Car Park

webfact

Security stepped up in Samui – Photo ID needed to enter Central Festival Car Park

KOH SAMUI: -- Since the car bomb explosion security in Koh Samui has been stepped up. Those now wishing to use the car park at Central Festival Plaza in Chaweng will only gain entry by providing photo ID. Police are strictly checking visitors on all ferry piers to Samui and are scanning every person and car coming onto and leaving the island.

Samui Provincial Police commander Pol Maj General Apichart Bunsiriroj said that sniffer dogs and Explosive Ordnance Disposal officials were on standby to carry out check at all piers to Koh Samui. Several island residents have reported having their cars searched for bombs at Makro.

According to a report in the Nation, Defense Ministry spokesman Maj General Kongsheep Tantrawanit said that the car bomb was masterminded by people who have lost power and wanted to destroy the Songrkan atmosphere along with the country’s image and economy.

In response to the comment from the People’s Democratic Reform Committee Chief Suthep Thaugsuban that only a person who lived abroad could have funded the bomb, Kongsheep said that he believed that as he did not think that Thai’s would hurt one another because of different ideologies.

According to national police chief Pol General Somyos Pumpanmuang, the police who analyzed the car bomb believe that the motive of the perpetrators was to instigate turmoil and likened it to the blast in Ramkhamhaeng in 2013.

Six people suspected of being involved in the Samui car bomb are being held at a Vibhavadi Rangsit camp, pending interrogation by military officials from Surat Thani.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-04-15

Suthep! Please remember what you did in 2010 and 2014. Thais are able to hurt one another because of different ideologies.

By the way, Samui is a safe place now. The next bomb will explode elsewhere.

Which thailand or planet are you living in?

Thais are hurting and killing each other, for many years, because of different ideologies.

Welcome to planet Thailand.

• Like 1

Can't see a big problem with this - surely anyone wishing to enter a car park would have a valid driving license.......

You are absolutely right, it’s just irritating and sad that it need to be that way... sad.png

Edited by khunPer

Can't see a big problem with this - surely anyone wishing to enter a car park would have a valid driving license.......

You are absolutely right, it’s just irritating and sad that it need to be that way... sad.png

The day after the incident, I went to Makro in Nakkhon Si Thammarat, had to show ID which they flashed in front of their camera at the entrance & they were checking people with metal detectors at the front entrance of the shop.

Nothing wrong with it, not sure if it was extra precaution or just the location being further South.

• Like 2

Laughable,

Yes they check ID and Photograph it

Yes they look underneath

But they do NOT look in the back of pick-up trucks.. Two times now when I have visited.

This is a 100% failure rate for security measures

I agree, security checks are a joke, even if there is a box or suitcase in the trunk, its not like they will ask to open it. Anyone smart enough will not just stick a bomb in plain sight under a car.

Its a hassle to show id, but its not too bad to deter criminals. Still better than having islamic extremist which is a scary and likely threat happening in Thailand in the future.

The day after the incident, I went to Makro in Nakkhon Si Thammarat, had to show ID which they flashed in front of their camera at the entrance & they were checking people with metal detectors at the front entrance of the shop.

Nothing wrong with it, not sure if it was extra precaution or just the location being further South.

I have seen a metal detector in Makro Samui too but so quick-quick not sure if it workedsmile.png

Laughable,

Yes they check ID and Photograph it

Yes they look underneath

But they do NOT look in the back of pick-up trucks.. Two times now when I have visited.

This is a 100% failure rate for security measures

This week, my friend on Samui was stopped and searched.The police told him to open the seat of his motorcy. He was about to open the luggage box on the back, but was told not to and waved on. clap2.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Yep .... same thing happened to me at Big C the other day, lift seat.... but did not look in my Shad box, even though I offered to open it .... facepalm.gif

But let's face it, it was all nonsense after 9-11 with having to take off shoes and belts before going through an airport security.... (how long did that last?)

If anyone wants to do some thing to destroy the peace, it will happen here or in any country....... as it does daily....sad.png

In response to the comment from the People’s Democratic Reform Committee Chief Suthep Thaugsuban that only a person who lived abroad could have funded the bomb, Kongsheep said that he believed that as "he did not think that Thai’s would hurt one another because of different ideologies."

Can I have some of what he's been drinking? From somebody in his position, I think that must qualify as this New Year's most idiotic comment!

"And this year's Buffoon of The New Year award goes to ............."

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Except the large percentage of thais on samui!!biggrin.png

You can be assured that anything that comes out of Sutips mouth is garbage He is only interested in in-sighting unrest or miss information

There is no love lost between me and the man overseas but how can someone just jump to a conclusion without facts And to think some people wanted Sutip to be leader

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Except the large percentage of thais on samui!!biggrin.png

Pity they don't have to show driver's licences only. Sadly ID will do as well.

Otherwise the carpark would be almost empty !!!smile.png

+1

The horse bolted already.

Terrorists are not like lightning strikes: they bomb a place and move on to the next whilst the stupid authorities run around the scene like a disturbed ants nest. Almost for sure the next bomb will not be in Samui irrespective of the security there now.

+1

The horse bolted already.

Terrorists are not like lightning strikes: they bomb a place and move on to the next whilst the stupid authorities run around the scene like a disturbed ants nest. Almost for sure the next bomb will not be in Samui irrespective of the security there now.

"The horse bolted already" leaving behind the usual knee jerk reactions, and step ups in security measures. However, in this case, if it makes things safer, and gives some people a proper job to do - fine by me.