BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thaivisa News

British tourist kills police in crash

post-87022-0-95368500-1429091568_thumb.j

That's a lot of damage from hitting a motorcyle. w00t.gif

In fact, I'd go to say impossible!

This will be interesting to follow... The type of car the Brit was driving is irrelevant - the result would have been the same in a Toyota or Honda.

02:40am - Was there any trace of alcohol on the driver ? On the deceased Policeman ? - this would be key to determining a deadly mistake or manslaughter.

Was the driver within the speed limit ? the Opening Post notes that he was 'speeding his car' did the driver (Benjamin) admit to this or is this a poorly written article ?

Already some members are throwing emotion around without enough fact from which to base their conclusions...

Of course, we can all garner our opinions and assumptions... i.e. mine would be that at that time, both parties have had a few drinks, both are illegally on the road, the Bike pulled out infront of the Car to make a U-Turn without looking. The Car couldn't avoid the bike... BUT... thats just an assumption...

Key facts need to be established - Drinking ? (both Rider and Driver); Speeding ? (Driver); Pulled out without looking (Rider).

If the motorcycle was hit and then found 200 meters away , you can safely state that the driver was speeding (and quite a bit too).

I honestly think it is fair to assume high speed, the bike weighs around 170 kg and a thai police guy weighs 70 so 240 kg thrown 200 meters away, that is a pretty large kinetic energy released there, the Benz looks badly damaged too indicating high speed impact.

And then of course the thing about motorbike turn suddenly in a u-turn - anyway in Denmark at least it is the rule "drive so you can brake in case something happen" and we all know that u-turns are extremely dangerous, so the Brit did not do that, he must be at fault too or only depending on the motorcycle...

oaw oaw oaw , you judge the brit man but read first .... the motorbike , not a small 125cc, cross the road and the policeman don't look if the was coming ( of course it's normal here , they cross or they come out a small soi or turn to the left or right FIRST AND LOOK AFTER ) , the brit driver can do nothing , NOTHING . a car who drive at 90 or 100 km/h and hit a bike like this , it's normal that we find the motorbike driver far from the accident , and sûre when it's a 3 way like there . so stop to say that the brit is guilty ..............

Thrown 200 meters again. Seems this distance is becoming a bit too common. Do they have other distances here apart from the equally vague ' sork ' used in the building trade

Crazy Brit. You don't visit a foreign country, rent a car, and drive with reckless abandon. You don't know the roads and you are a guest.

I hope they lock up Mr. Benjamin in a Thai prison cell for a few years and not just let him go back to the island after paying off the officer's family.

My condolences to Police Lance Corporal Wiroon's family and friends. Terrible that this happens at the end of the Songkran holiday.

What a naive comment. You believe everything you read and take it as gospel. You crazy Farang!!!!!

post-87022-0-95368500-1429091568_thumb.j

That's a lot of damage from hitting a motorcyle. w00t.gif

In fact, I'd go to say impossible!

I agree with you, it must be a conspiracy, better we get out our tin foil hats.

It must have been a high speeding car when you look at the damages. Accidents waiting to happen in Thailand , if people can't adjust the speed and drive defensively. This is not Europe , it's dangerous roads and dangerous drivers here, please take care.

I think it is silly to assign blame at this time in the proceedings. We have no idea who's at fault and it could be that they were both in the wrong. The Brit for speeding and the Thai officer for making an ill-advised U-turn in front of an on coming car.

just hit a dog with your cat at 90 km/h , and you ll see the face of car . you speak about something that you don't know . it's crazy .... are you all experts of what ??? and even if he was driving to quick , is that a reason to be guilty of murder ? the title say : - a brit killed a motorbike policeman driver .... KILLED ???? beter say : a motorbike policeman driver die after accident with a car . a why say that the driver is brit ??? how many expats or tourist die after accident with thai-drivers ( drunked , who takes jaba , who fall asleep , who drive crazy ) ? anyway , the brit will be guilty just cause he's farang so everybody will be happy , even you the expats . you disgusting me .

Know where the accident happened, it is within city limits,good road, max speed allowed 90km/h.

Look at the pic in the OP, no way Mr Benjamin was going 90, more likely 200............

And that would probably explain, why the officer crossed the road. He never expected the car to be approaching that fast.

We don't know, but not another Thai bashing thread please!!

Nearly every Farang I know who drinks and has transport, drinks and drives on a regular basis, of course none of these would be ThaVisa members nor would they be known to any other ThaiVisa members bar me.

In ThaiVisaland it's always the Thai that's at fault.

An inflammatory post has been removed. You may disagree with another poster, but it must be done in a civil manner.

Just imagine if the car driver had slammed on his brakes to avoid the biker, and killed a family of 6 who were driving 2 foot from his boot.