BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thaivisa News

British tourist kills police in crash

...here we go with the 'foreigner kills' headline......

...cut the cr*p.....

...it was an accident....and not sure where to lay the blame...

...but after a decade plus of road carnage.....this is the first time I see blame laid in the headline..

...and murder at that.....but for foreigners only......

.....'tourist kills'.......'foreigner kills'.........???

....unacceptable....I hope that someone else speaks up as well.....

The Brit had better have a chat with the Red Bull heir to get advice. Similar accident on Sukhumvit rd some while ago. Quietly put aside.

Living in Cha am I see how much cars and bikes run.....petkasem road is really an autodr

ome.

Hope he's not expecting help from the British Embassy.

Well no wonder police crack down on foreign drivers....

expect much more of the same.

What was this Brit doing at this hour of the morning....? Racing home after a night out?

Only a noob or an intoxicated driver would not be aware of smaller vehicles. This is thailand..you drive on the road with extreme care...and it does not matter who is right or wrong...you go in the headlines if you cause death....especially a farang.

"Nonthwat interrogated Benjamin and learned that he was speeding his car from his residence in Cha-am to Hua Hin and the policeman made a u-turn at the spot suddenly, cutting into his way and making it impossible for him to stop his car in time".

What's with the "Hang him High" brigade today.

Who exactly knows what "speeding" is when the press over here use that description. The motorbike rider suddenly decided to make a U-Turn, cutting into the way of the car driver and making it impossible for him to stop his car in time.

That scenario could happen to any of us, even when not doing "so called speeding". Get a grip, I have been driving for years over here and when some idiot decides at the last second "I think I'll do a U-Turn here" then, without warning or notice drives right in front of a car without as much as a quick check behind him ...is it any wonder that this kind of thing can happen. Anybody who says it can't (either here or at home) should have another think coming.

it's clearly write that you can not make a U-turn when you come out of the hospital , but have to turn to the left and go to the next U-turn . have roads signs enough and very clear at this place , i know cause i go many times at this hospital . and everytimes i come out of the hospital , i see many thai-drivers who don't respect the roads signs and make a U-turn there , crossing the 3 lanes first then U-turn . if they are not abble to respect the essential rules on the roads , and in this case it's a policeman who have to show the good way , then they don't have to cry after . the brit drive straight , the motorcycle canot U-turn there , don't look if a car was coming or canot estimate the speed of the car . anyway , when you effect a maneuver like U-turn , change lane , cross the lanes or anything else , you're wrong .

I have found in the past while driving in Thailand that people doing u-turns wait until you are close and then decide to pull out across the road in front of you

Don't some of you write total and utter hogwash? Engage brain before writing tripe and try to at least read the article and establish the facts, before making assumptions.

it's clearly write that you can not make a U-turn when you come out of the hospital , but have to turn to the left and go to the next U-turn . have roads signs enough and very clear at this place , i know cause i go many times at this hospital . and everytimes i come out of the hospital , i see many thai-drivers who don't respect the roads signs and make a U-turn there , crossing the 3 lanes first then U-turn . if they are not abble to respect the essential rules on the roads , and in this case it's a policeman who have to show the good way , then they don't have to cry after . the brit drive straight , the motorcycle canot U-turn there , don't look if a car was coming or canot estimate the speed of the car . anyway , when you effect a maneuver like U-turn , change lane , cross the lanes or anything else , you're wrong .

well, here is the thing. It is called avoidance. Insisting on right of way is never a good thing. Clearly, excessive speed contributed to this death. Also knowledge of the danger (the man rides here often?).

If you know that Thai drivers are doing this all the time...in this spot.....why not use caution? Just because you have the right of way does not mean you lack ability to compensate.

Being in an accident sucks. But if you live in this area, and you have some local knowledge of Thai driving habits..then you will have to adjust.

I hope, at least, he was not intoxicated..that will go against him.

The Thai cop does what almost ALL Thais do...make U-Turns, left hand turns or just about anything WITHOUT LOOKING.

Surely you've all experienced Thais on bikes coming out from a side street on the left. How many look to the right first? About 1% in my experience. At U-Turns more of them look....but many don't. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to brake quickly to give way to idiots at U-Turns who either don't look...or can't wait.

Yet somehow according to the consensus here,it's the Brits fault ... go figure.

blink.png

post-87022-0-95368500-1429091568_thumb.j

That's a lot of damage from hitting a motorcyle. w00t.gif

In fact, I'd go to say impossible!

Agree, a Yamaha R3 is not that big.

Not a Benz, dear me ,more power to the Lefty Brits again...If it was Nop in a Shagged Truck its hardly worth a mention. Unplated Bike ridden by Drunk Cop most likely.

Yes definately the Thais fault, probably not, but we'll blame him anyway!

Well no wonder police crack down on foreign drivers....

expect much more of the same.

What was this Brit doing at this hour of the morning....? Racing home after a night out?

Only a noob or an intoxicated driver would not be aware of smaller vehicles. This is thailand..you drive on the road with extreme care...and it does not matter who is right or wrong...you go in the headlines if you cause death....especially a farang.

Agree with the good intention of your post......But, to question what the chap was doing at the hour of the morning is beyond belief.

What business is that of anyone, particularly you or any one else for that matter?

If we are speaking of a minor may be, but to throw the main point of your post to question what a grown adult is doing out and about at a particular time of the 24 hour clock amazes me and I hope others.

Amazed also as such a long time member here, you would consider it relevant to the topic!

The Thai cop does what almost ALL Thais do...make U-Turns, left hand turns or just about anything WITHOUT LOOKING.

Surely you've all experienced Thais on bikes coming out from a side street on the left. How many look to the right first? About 1% in my experience. At U-Turns more of them look....but many don't. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to brake quickly to give way to idiots at U-Turns who either don't look...or can't wait.

Yet somehow according to the consensus here,it's the Brits fault ... go figure.

blink.png

Again, being in the right ..has nothing to do with it.

If we know Thai's always make quick U turns and cut us off..then why not give a look around before plowing through an intersection/U turn access road?

Being right will not prevent accidents, and will not prevent headlines like what are now reading. I know many farangs are irritated...in fact angry....and they put the blinders up and step on the pedal....insisting that they have the right of way. This is not how people drive here..... right or wrong.....if a farang cannot handle the awkward driving habits of Thai's...perhaps it is better you have your wife drive.

Sad reality....right or wrong...it will not go well for him.