Buddhist Or Anamist

francois

It's maybe a lot more understanding then you think lioneric.

maybe you can only draw attention to more difficult concepts if it's mascaraded as something else? Maybe i don't agree with the buddhist concept of celibacy? Maybe i'm just a "kind of buddhist" as i am "a kind of catholic" as i am "a kind of muslim"?

Maybe you just don't understand yet ?

Maybe you find here what i mean?

http://www.osho.com/Topics/TopicsEng/Zorba1.HTM

Maybe i like a current version of buddhist scriptures instead of the one's written for people some 4000 years ago?

Zorba the Buddha? :D

Looks to me like the dead Bhagwan Sri Rajneesh. A man I not only knew personally and talked with regularly, but whom I also lived with in Oregon in the 80's (where he went to escape criminal prosecution in India). The Bhagwan has been dead for at least 10 years...

I can't believe they've brought the memory of this Charlatan/ConMan, and are now commercialy marketing him as a Buddha

Now that's just sick. :o

Good idea new thread. The other was hi-jacked.

I accept that I am a bit slow (speak slowly like the people from Queensland) but then again I am in good company as the Oxford dictionary (my copy anyway) does not have an entry for "anamist"

The Oxford dictionary tends not to record misspellings until they are well established (e.g. 'collimate'). The correct spelling is 'animist', generally summarised as a believer in a world filled with spirits associated with specific objects.

A man I not only knew personally and talked with regularly, but whom I also lived with in Oregon in the 80's (where he went to escape criminal prosecution in India). The Bhagwan has been dead for at least 10 years...

I can't believe they've brought the memory of this Charlatan/ConMan, and are now commercialy marketing him as a Buddha

Now that's just sick. 

Apparently there was a reason you lived with him then ? ....

Each his own view mr Ajarn, i don't want to get in to a slaggin match over this.

I just find his discourses on several subject practically identical to my own experiences...

Up to you to find something else.

I think that you'll find a lot of commercial marketing going on in any religion / belief system by the way.

A man I not only knew personally and talked with regularly, but whom I also lived with in Oregon in the 80's (where he went to escape criminal prosecution in India). The Bhagwan has been dead for at least 10 years...

Now that's just sick. 

Apparently there was a reason you lived with him then ? ....

Each his own view mr Ajarn, i don't want to get in to a slaggin match over this.

I just find his discourses on several subject practically identical to my own experiences...

Up to you to find something else.

I think that you'll find a lot of commercial marketing going on in any religion / belief system by the way.

Yes, I was a school teacher there for a period (actually, my Teaching Practicum.) Certainly one of my great life experiences, and the Baghwan, though an okay man really, made a strong impression of ET Barnum. I agree he had great thoughts and words to express, but I could see the hypocrisy throughout the reality, as most could. Not only the Baghwan's personal hypocrisy, either. That's mostly why it (the Oregon ranch)could never work...Too much evil allowed to prosper within....Maybe you remember the food poisoning of the local townsfolk on election day, which has gone down in history as the first Bio-terrorism in the US....

I agree that everyone has their own experiences in life. That was certainly an interesting one...Lots of great stories from there, too, especially before AIDS became a central focus of the Baghwan,- who, by the way, was one of the first promoters of Safe Sex, even putting condons in the guest rooms of the hotel they owned...circa 1983. But that still ain't gonna make him a Buddha in my book, even if he did say we are all Buddhas....

On an aside, I grew up in California and Oregon during the hippy period, and later, the Cult Period, where people were literally kidnapped, then 'Love Bombed' into brain-washed submission...Christians!. And Hare Krishnas, they were good promoters. Man, they had some groovy chicks...I got roped in for awhile, attending a number of Hari-Krishna 'dinners' because I got laid each time afterward.... :o

It's an interesting place, this Earth. I'll give you that :D:D

Onward, through the fog smile.gif

Good idea new thread. The other was hi-jacked.

I accept that I am a bit slow (speak slowly like the people from Queensland) but then again I am in good company as the Oxford dictionary (my copy anyway) does not have an entry for "anamist"

The Oxford dictionary tends not to record misspellings until they are well established (e.g. 'collimate'). The correct spelling is 'animist', generally summarised as a believer in a world filled with spirits associated with specific objects.

Thanks for bringing me up to speed with whats an "animist" (the correct spelling version is not in my copy of the Oxford Dictionary either.

Maybe they are waiting for it to catch on before including it. And it is not an old edition.

One thing for certain though is that I ain't no animist but my dear wife certainly is

:o

Looks to me like the dead Bhagwan Sri Rajneesh. A man I not only knew personally and talked with regularly, but whom I also lived with in Oregon in the 80's (where he went to escape criminal prosecution in India). The Bhagwan has been dead for at least 10 years...

Now that's just sick. :o

I'm wondering what happened to all his Rolls Royce's and the rest of his estate?

I recall one person who attempted to follow this mans methods of enlightenment. He was asked after if he tasted the nectar and saw the divine light to which he replied, "I tasted snot and nearly choked to death."

Thanks for bringing me up to speed with whats an "animist" (the correct spelling version is not in my copy of the Oxford Dictionary either.

Maybe they are waiting for it to catch on before including it. And it is not an old edition.

What version? In the 4th edition (1951) of the Concise OED ('the Concise Oxford dictionary of Current English') it may be found at the end of the entry for 'animism', encoded in the form "~IST".

It also occurs in the genuinely pocket-sized Collins English Gem Dictionary (1963 edition), again under 'animism'.

Yes, I was a school teacher there for a period (actually, my Teaching Practicum.) Certainly one of my great life experiences, and the Baghwan, though an okay man really, made a strong impression of ET Barnum. I agree he had great thoughts and words to express, but I could see the hypocrisy throughout the reality, as most could. Not only the Baghwan's personal hypocrisy, either. That's mostly why it (the Oregon ranch)could never work...Too much evil allowed to prosper within....Maybe you remember the food poisoning of the local townsfolk on election day, which has gone down in history as the first Bio-terrorism in the US....
As i'm a generation later i didn't have the pleasure or displeasure to meet him in person, neither have i joined up with his movement in a later stage.

I just find most of his explanations fitting to my life and previous experiences. this goes as far back to my early childhood.

As you maybe noticed in this and and other threads i'm not in to organized religions.

Be it buddhist, catholic, or others. I'll take te good and bad things from all of them and evaluate in regards to my experience. I would say that i lean to buddhist religion the most. But actually during my stay in LOS last year i found it sad that 90 percent of the "buddhists" just don't realize what their religion or way of life is about :D.

It has just become a worship the statue and do the moves religion for most. ( see the thread on buddha's finger in HK ???? :o )

On an aside, I grew up in California and Oregon during the hippy period, and later, the Cult Period, where people were literally kidnapped, then 'Love Bombed' into brain-washed submission...Christians!. And Hare Krishnas, they were good promoters. Man, they had some groovy chicks...I got roped in for awhile, attending a number of Hari-Krishna 'dinners' because I got laid each time afterward....

Sounds like you had a fun time there :D. Funny how the "love bombing" works.

I was raised a strict catholic by my mother , which i fought from early childhood.

she died when i was 18.

Last two years my father has enrolled in to the "jehova's wittness program" :D

They actually use the same "love bombing" technique to draw in and brainwash people. I find it a poor excuse of catholic religion based on marketing techniques, a religion of the obsessed mind i would call it. (no attack on believers of this one, just my personal observation)

It's an interesting place, this Earth. I'll give you that 

You're sure right Ajarn , it surely is

Indeed onward through the fog, in the dark of the night :D

=Darknight,Sat 2004-05-29, 09:20:41]As you maybe noticed in this and and other threads i'm not into organized religions.

Be it buddhist, catholic, or others. I'll take te good and bad things from all of them and evaluate in regards to my experience. I would say that i lean to buddhist religion the most. But actually during my stay in LOS last year i found it sad that 90 percent of the "buddhists" just don't realize what their religion or way of life is about  :D.

It has just become a worship the statue and do the moves religion for most. ( see the thread on buddha's finger in HK ???? :o )

I hear ya' about taking what works for you and dumping the rest. I feel I do the same...

Over the years, I've come to believe that the essence of life, for me, is simply, "Do good, get good, Do bad, get bad".

That's all I need to know :D

It's also what I try to teach others :D

Over the years, I've come to believe that the essence of life, for me, is simply, "Do good, get good, Do bad, get bad".

That's all I need to know  :D

It's also what I try to teach others  :D

I agree entirely Ajarn.

Buddhism is about what works for you - the fact that so many others seem to be getting it wrong has no bearing on one's own beliefs or practice.

Metta

John

.._

:o

This is valid for ANY religion.

And very seldom applied for ANY religion,...

Does it depend on any religion?

I'm not sure.

Does it depend on anybody's "beliefs"?

Sure.

Yes, we are still the ones deciding,...