My Body Has Turned into a Bag of Jelly

EmptyHead

Diet and exercise are to two key features of keeping in shape. And by that I DO NOT mean dieting and I DO NOT mean visiting the gym. Both are wrong, wrong, wrong!

The best exercise regime should be natural exercises such as walking, gentle jogging and cycling is good. But the best, in my opinion is swimming. By a long way. Forget gyms, they are an unnecessary rip off.

As far as diet goes, forget slimming diet regimes. They create a yo-yo affect on your weight. Switch to the 'Mediterranean Diet' or as best you can make it. Plenty of fish fruit and vegetables. Reduce carbs and red meat to a minimum. You can actually still enjoy Thai food whilst still following this regime.

And stay off the booze! If you must have a drop, I suggest red wine in low quantities.

Try it for six months then come back and tell me if I'm right or not. Good luck.

I'm 69 by the way, but most folks think I'm about 50.

ML

I have to take issue on two accounts. 1) Running or walking are by far the best exercise one can take, but if you don't enjoy it and swimming is your thing, go for it, at least you are doing something. 2) As for a gym, you can very easily, in most cases have your own home gym. All you need is a couple of dumb bells at a weight appropriate to yourself. If you have the space, it is well worth having a bench press, notwithstanding that, always use the dumb bells sitting down and your back supported (push into the back of the chair). The older one is, the more one is prone to injuring/straining the back using the dumb bells or bar bells. It is equally important to devise exercises for the upper body (anaerobic) so that you can maintain muscle and bone density which will improve blood flow. What ever you do, start easy! There is nothing more disappointing than either failing to achieve the target you have set for yourself or ending up in agony (hey your going to be a bit stiff when you start) because your body is unused to the exertions you are unexpectedly inflicting on it. I am 70, run 3kms most days and do about 40 minutes anaerobic exercise. The massage lady I visited the other day was convinced I was between 50 - 55 years. And yes, I did give her a tip! I also recently comfortably completed a 5km mid-night run. The key is do what is achievable, but at least do SOMETHING.

My advice is to start taking a capsule of Testosterone Undecanoate daily. I recently updated my story on the thread linked to below.

The moderator Charlie H locked the thread after my latest post. I have no idea why he did so as the thread contains a lot of useful discussion and could also have carried on with further discussions regarding Testosterone.

With respect Charlie, I think you got it wrong on this one and would ask that you unlock the thread.

Anyway Op you can read my story on the thread below. One of the pluses of me taking T was that my metabolism increased, my body "hardened up" and I am definitely more lithe.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/758800-please-help-i-have-got-a-nympho/

My advice is to start taking a capsule of Testosterone Undecanoate daily. I recently updated my story on the thread linked to below.

The moderator Charlie H locked the thread after my latest post. I have no idea why he did so as the thread contains a lot of useful discussion and could also have carried on with further discussions regarding Testosterone.

With respect Charlie, I think you got it wrong on this one and would ask that you unlock the thread.

Anyway Op you can read my story on the thread below. One of the pluses of me taking T was that my metabolism increased, my body "hardened up" and I am definitely more lithe.

I think we're not allowed to dig up old threads. If you had started a new one like "my experiences taking testosterone" it probably wouldn't have gotten closed and might have even appeared in the newsletter (where you won't find 9 month old threads).

Sorry for being off-topic.

I think we're not allowed to dig up old threads. If you had started a new one like "my experiences taking testosterone" it probably wouldn't have gotten closed and might have even appeared in the newsletter (where you won't find 9 month old threads).

Sorry for being off-topic.

Plenty of old threads that area good deal older than 9 months on this forum. The photography ones are a relevant example. The interest rate threads and investments threads are another. If TV wants to encourage real members, with real stories, to participate in this forum they need to back off on locking stuff up. If they want the forum to be dominated by flamers and trolls who morph into new members every few weeks they are on the right track.

I took the time to draft a detailed and lengthy update to a popular thread. My reward was to have a moderator lock it on the basis that "attack dogs" were coming.

Good grief...

Diet and exercise are to two key features of keeping in shape. And by that I DO NOT mean dieting and I DO NOT mean visiting the gym. Both are wrong, wrong, wrong!

The best exercise regime should be natural exercises such as walking, gentle jogging and cycling is good. But the best, in my opinion is swimming. By a long way. Forget gyms, they are an unnecessary rip off.

As far as diet goes, forget slimming diet regimes. They create a yo-yo affect on your weight. Switch to the 'Mediterranean Diet' or as best you can make it. Plenty of fish fruit and vegetables. Reduce carbs and red meat to a minimum. You can actually still enjoy Thai food whilst still following this regime.

And stay off the booze! If you must have a drop, I suggest red wine in low quantities.

Try it for six months then come back and tell me if I'm right or not. Good luck.

ML

I have to take issue on two accounts. 1) Running or walking are by far the best exercise one can take, but if you don't enjoy it and swimming is your thing, go for it, at least you are doing something. 2) As for a gym, you can very easily, in most cases have your own home gym. All you need is a couple of dumb bells at a weight appropriate to yourself. If you have the space, it is well worth having a bench press, notwithstanding that, always use the dumb bells sitting down and your back supported (push into the back of the chair). The older one is, the more one is prone to injuring/straining the back using the dumb bells or bar bells. It is equally important to devise exercises for the upper body (anaerobic) so that you can maintain muscle and bone density which will improve blood flow. What ever you do, start easy! There is nothing more disappointing than either failing to achieve the target you have set for yourself or ending up in agony (hey your going to be a bit stiff when you start) because your body is unused to the exertions you are unexpectedly inflicting on it. I am 70, run 3kms most days and do about 40 minutes anaerobic exercise. The massage lady I visited the other day was convinced I was between 50 - 55 years. And yes, I did give her a tip! I also recently comfortably completed a 5km mid-night run. The key is do what is achievable, but at least do SOMETHING.

ok now tip her before she answers:)

Yes, i am drinking that water.

Everyone here drinks it and i have noticed several men with this type of fat. I thought it was something in the diet here.

I imagine you have your fair share of stomach problems too if you're drinking that water? It has absolutely zero nutrients so it doesn't rehydrate you properly. You mentioned having too much estrogen? I've been getting estrogen injections as part of my treatment for prostate cancer (it kills testosterone which is what feeds prostate cancer) and have the same thing as you going on. Losing muscle mass, weight gain - particularly around the middle and the fat is jelly-like too! It's got so bad with me my oncologist has stopped the estrogen injections and put me on to another med. So what can you do about it? It's difficult but excercise is step one. Light exercise which will depend on your age and mobility but a 10 minute walk 4 times daily is great, as long as there is at least one hour between walks (I won't go into the reasons why this works but it does - you can search it, look for "low impact interval training/walking" etc) Protein is step two. I drink whey protein shakes through the day and of course there testosterone boosters you can buy online "T-boosters" which are high in zinc and protodioscin.

Good luck!!!

maybe start doing some push ups every morning.

Everyone should do some sort of exercise.. if I compare my mom 67 with my dad also 67 there is a world of difference of how healthy and strong they are. My dad has always exercised and now bikes 10.000 km a year (quite a lot if you know that in the real bad winter he does not bike and he goes on holiday a few months.

The guy has rock solid muscles and is in great shape.. mother on the other hand never exercised or did anything and is a bag of jelly even though she is not fat. (slim does not mean no fat).

Everyone should do something they like.. i prefer lifting weights and using a rowing machine. But in the end you need to find something you like and something you can keep on doing.

Most farangs here could care less about their body because they know their wallet can make up for their bad appearance.

Unfortunately, the wallet can do precious little for recovery of lost health. In the end, health is the only thing you will care about, believe me. Do the pushups as soon as you roll out of the rack to jumpstart your metabolism. Eventually add a few other things. PM me if you need little-to-no cost, but effective suggestions when that time comes. Don't sweat the plastic bottles. Just don't microwave your water in the bottle, say, for coffee. Even if this is the only investment you ever make in your health, the dividends will be measurable, and more than make up for the inconvenience. Good luck, everyone; especially the OP.

Bulldozer Dawn I read your other posts on the other topic and you are doing it right. My life is a little same in some regards. I am in my fifties but in good shape, I eat well, exercise, enjoy the ladies (none working girls) and take a T shot once every 21 days or so. My sex life is good, not like 10 years ago but still good. Life is great with the exception of the occasional dipshit who ticks you off. Having said that .....

I also agree with you ... Topics get closed and posts get deleted for no good reason. Makes me think sometimes to stop TV ... But I am still here .... Not sure if this post will be :)

ML

Certainly agree with you and if, for some reason I can't get to a swimming pool I do use 'home gym' techniques. A pull-up bar is one tool I do use. Also don't forget that the local parks often have exercise equipment you can use for free. There are some on our mooban as well. I like to use the sit on pull-up machine.

Fallangpakwan, I you don't benefit from all the good advice you've had on this thread, you want your butt kicking smile.png (only joking)

Good luck.

Bulldozer Dawn I read your other posts on the other topic and you are doing it right. My life is a little same in some regards. I am in my fifties but in good shape, I eat well, exercise, enjoy the ladies (none working girls) and take a T shot once every 21 days or so. My sex life is good, not like 10 years ago but still good. Life is great with the exception of the occasional dipshit who ticks you off. Having said that .....

I also agree with you ... Topics get closed and posts get deleted for no good reason. Makes me think sometimes to stop TV ... But I am still here .... Not sure if this post will be smile.png

Hey TTT. Thanks for the post. I too am growing tired of TV. I spend a lot of my valuable time here contributing with real stories and info not just flaming and trolling.

My current thinking is to jump ship and devote my time to my own blog.

I have just started a new thread on this topic and it is shaping up nicely:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/822733-best-blogging-platform/

I gave up drinking and smoking a good few years ago so my only pleasure in life (which I felt I was entitled to) was a few banana cookies every day or a few biscuits, also I would have the odd cone dip when I went to a shopping mall. I was putting on a bit too much weight so I decided to give up the sweet pleasures. In 3 and a half weeks I have lost 4 kilos and feel great. The part that amazed me most was that after about three days I had lost the "goo" completely for anything sweet, even was put off just to think about it, so I am not sacrificing anything or having with-drawls, the very opposite in fact....it's the easiest thing in the world to stay from the sweet things. (the odd time I have a treat).

I gave up drinking and smoking a good few years ago so my only pleasure in life (which I felt I was entitled to) was a few banana cookies every day or a few biscuits, also I would have the odd cone dip when I went to a shopping mall. I was putting on a bit too much weight so I decided to give up the sweet pleasures. In 3 and a half weeks I have lost 4 kilos and feel great. The part that amazed me most was that after about three days I had lost the "goo" completely for anything sweet, even was put off just to think about it, so I am not sacrificing anything or having with-drawls, the very opposite in fact....it's the easiest thing in the world to stay from the sweet things. (the odd time I have a treat).

You make an interesting and important point here. It is changing lifestyle which makes the difference. It is now well established that dieting is not effective when it comes to loosing weight. It creates a yoyo affect as the body first of all feeds off its own fat and then piles the fat back on again in anticipation of the next famine!

There was a time when I would put 2 sugars in every cup of tea, just as my folks used to do. I couldn't stand the taste of tea without it. Now I would spit out tea with sugar in! I have recently lost 4kg simply by quitting beer and reducing carbs a bit. And I have finally persuaded my wife to stop eating that horrible sticky rice. She's already lost 3kg and her 'love handles' have disappeared. And funnily enough, she now eats more. But she's eating healthy food instead. She's not bloated with rice anymore.

The secret is, I'm sure, to make little changes that create good habits which replace the bad ones. Weight reduction by stealth.

You make an interesting and important point here. It is changing lifestyle which makes the difference. It is now well established that dieting is not effective when it comes to loosing weight. It creates a yoyo affect as the body first of all feeds off its own fat and then piles the fat back on again in anticipation of the next famine!

There was a time when I would put 2 sugars in every cup of tea, just as my folks used to do. I couldn't stand the taste of tea without it. Now I would spit out tea with sugar in! I have recently lost 4kg simply by quitting beer and reducing carbs a bit. And I have finally persuaded my wife to stop eating that horrible sticky rice. She's already lost 3kg and her 'love handles' have disappeared. And funnily enough, she now eats more. But she's eating healthy food instead. She's not bloated with rice anymore.

The secret is, I'm sure, to make little changes that create good habits which replace the bad ones. Weight reduction by stealth.

Moonlover. Your advice to replace good habits with bad ones is the secret to EVERTHING...not just weight loss.

I also agree with you ... Topics get closed and posts get deleted for no good reason. Makes me think sometimes to stop TV ... But I am still here .... Not sure if this post will be smile.png

Hey TTT. Thanks for the post. I too am growing tired of TV. I spend a lot of my valuable time here contributing with real stories and info not just flaming and trolling.

Your input is appreciated, believe me - for every tingtong there are scores, if not hundreds, and maybe even thousands, of readers who value your information. It does get frustrating at times, but unless someone is contradicting you in a meaningful and intelligent way, then the rest of any criticism you might get is just clutter. Ignore it and don't get sidetracked.

Cheers,

Wit.

Your input is appreciated, believe me - for every tingtong there are scores, if not hundreds, and maybe even thousands, of readers who value your information. It does get frustrating at times, but unless someone is contradicting you in a meaningful and intelligent way, then the rest of any criticism you might get is just clutter. Ignore it and don't get sidetracked.

Cheers,

Wit.

Thanks Wit.

No doubt you knew this already but I always take care never to use the words tingtong or pompoi within the presence of any Thai. To them it is an absolute earmark on you that you have spent time around prostitutes. And what is to be gained from another Thai (even a prostitute) knowing that in the past you have spent time with prostitutes.

Here we were talking about a body turned to jelly.. while not getting fat.. that just means there is no muscle. You dont really need to workout to loose weight. Lifestyle changes work far better for this.. its quite hard to really burn a lot of calories exercising. Changing what you eat works far better.

However that was not what was the problem here the problem was that he just lost muscle.. then exercise is.. Actually the best thing is just to combine exercise with a healthy diet.

I have always worked out hard in the gym but even that could not prevent me getting fat. (stress alcohol and thai food did that). So i changed what i ate.. and kept working out hard and lost 25kg in a year. (i was not that fat to start with). So in my opinion exercise alone is just not enough. A good diet is just as important .. that means not to many processed foods (almost none) and loads of vegetables.. meats (and lowish carbs)

I don't get why people drink alcohol here in Thailand. Women relax me. And there is absolutely no requirement to drink alcohol in order to have a great time with Thai women. What on earth do you guys get from downing stubbies. Other than financial, weight and health problems, what?

I don't get why people drink alcohol here in Thailand. Women relax me. And there is absolutely no requirement to drink alcohol in order to have a great time with Thai women. What on earth do you guys get from downing stubbies. Other than financial, weight and health problems, what?

To each his or her own.. I don't drink (much) alcohol. I can go months without drinking and then when with some friends drink. It does not happen often and as a general rule I don't drink.

I don't judge people for what they do, but if you want to loose weight or stay lean you have to change some things.. one of them is cutting alcohol a bit or completely. Other thing is stop eating bad foods.

You can't have it all.. and if you want a good body.. a bit of exercise would help. It really depends on what you like and want.

I have learned one thing over the years and that is that consistency is better as efficiency. Meaning that its better do do something that might not be the most effective at burning fat / growing muscles but what you can keep up for a longer periods (lifetime).

Jogging burns of course more as walking but if you hate jogging then its better to walk because the chances you would give up and stop jogging is just big.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Moonlover. Your advice to replace good habits with bad ones is the secret to EVERTHING...not just weight loss.

Very rrue. Thanks for pointing that out Bulldozer.

To each his or her own.. I don't drink (much) alcohol. I can go months without drinking and then when with some friends drink. It does not happen often and as a general rule I don't drink.

I don't judge people for what they do, but if you want to loose weight or stay lean you have to change some things.. one of them is cutting alcohol a bit or completely. Other thing is stop eating bad foods.

You can't have it all.. and if you want a good body.. a bit of exercise would help. It really depends on what you like and want.

I have learned one thing over the years and that is that consistency is better as efficiency. Meaning that its better do do something that might not be the most effective at burning fat / growing muscles but what you can keep up for a longer periods (lifetime).

Jogging burns of course more as walking but if you hate jogging then its better to walk because the chances you would give up and stop jogging is just big.

RB. The concept you are trying to describe is "sustainability". The adoption of any new habit will not last unless that habit is sustainable.

Whenever any of my friends tells me: "Oh I have just blah blah blah" (insert: started running 10Km every morning, stopped eating all diary, gone vegan, taken on a second job to earn more money...etc) I always respond with the question" "Is that sustainable".

RB. The concept you are trying to describe is "sustainability". The adoption of any new habit will not last unless that habit is sustainable.

Whenever any of my friends tells me: "Oh I have just blah blah blah" (insert: started running 10Km every morning, stopped eating all diary, gone vegan, taken on a second job to earn more money...etc) I always respond with the question" "Is that sustainable".

Correct, you have to wonder what is sustainable, its better to do something that is less effective but sustainable on the long run. Of course you can kickstart a period by exercising harder and such. Or a period of being extra strict to reach a certain goal. But the overall habits have to be good.

The reason why people JOJO with weight is because they think after they lost the weight they can go back to their old habits and that is just not possible.

Archived