Nakhon Phanom introduces Mekon River cruise

Thaivisa News

Nakhon Phanom:- Nakhon Phanom may be a rather little-known border town. But today, it has much to offer to tourists.

In addition to its centuries-old history, ancient temples and bustling Indochina Market, this northeastern province has now added a cruise along the Mekong River to its charm.

With the cruise, tourists can enjoy the scenery of both Thailand and Laos.

“Our cruise services are now gaining popularity,” Narongchai Thaosri says as the cruise manager of Mueang Nakhon Phanom Municipality.

He says the cruise starts from the Indochina Market at around 5pm and heads northward so that tourists can see the riverside communities and admire the sunset by a Christian church. Tourists can then get close to the Lao side and peek at the neighboring country’s lush land.

“On the way back, the tourists will panoramic view of Nakhon Phanom. That’s impressive,” Narongchai says proudly.

The cruise takes about one hour. Fees are just Bt50 per adult and Bt20 per child. This excludes the cost of food and beverages that tourists may order during the ride.

Narongchai says cruise passengers are coming from not just Nakhon Phanom but also elsewhere.

“Sometimes, we even have to add extra trips on weekends,” he says.

The church, which is located in Nong Saeng area, is a testament that Nakhon Phanom has embraced cultural and religious diversity.

Officially known as St Anna Catholic church, its history traced back to 1926.

Nice to see some enterprising people taking advantage of the Mekong and the scenery in that area. I lived in Mukdahan for a year, and was amazed no one was taking advantage of the Mekong in the town centre. They had a nice Info China Market in the day, but there was nothing there at night. It would be a perfect spot for the night market, plus they could have licensed buskers. It would also be nice to have a river dinner cruise, there is so much they could do to make it a real tourist attraction. With the Visa friendly consulate across the border, they should try to make an effort to keep the Visa runners in the town for a day or two.

• Like 2

Nice to see some enterprising people taking advantage of the Mekong and the scenery in that area. I lived in Mukdahan for a year, and was amazed no one was taking advantage of the Mekong in the town centre. They had a nice Info China Market in the day, but there was nothing there at night. It would be a perfect spot for the night market, plus they could have licensed buskers. It would also be nice to have a river dinner cruise, there is so much they could do to make it a real tourist attraction. With the Visa friendly consulate across the border, they should try to make an effort to keep the Visa runners in the town for a day or two.

Nakhon Phanom does have a night market a couple of times a week. But this cruise thing, this is old news. I wonder why it's being talked about at this point. It's been around for at least a couple of years.

• Like 1

"I wonder why it's being talked about at this point. It's been around for at least a couple of years." Maybe it's called marketing. You know... trying to drum up some new business.

Just a thought.

Cheers..... Mal.

Fees are just Bt50 per adult and Bt20 per child

What is the Farang rate?

As of last month when I was there, uh, 50 baht.

Apart from national parks and scams in the really touristy places, double pricing is pretty rare in Thailand. If you're looking for that I suggest carrying on just a bit east from NP to Vietnam.

"I wonder why it's being talked about at this point. It's been around for at least a couple of years." Maybe it's called marketing. You know... trying to drum up some new business.

Just a thought.

Cheers..... Mal.

Grin! Yeah, that'd explain it!

• 3 years later...

My wife, who is a native of Nakhon Phanom and who has lived there for most of her 70 years, says that the boat that leaves from the centre of the town still costs 50 baht and that they have never charged me more when we have been on it together. We've made many trips since it is something that visitors to Nakhon Phanom always seem to enjoy. There is a second boat that leaves from 'The River Hotel' at 6 p.m. and that costs 250 baht per person because dinner is included in the price. Because of the price, the boat will only sail if there are enough passengers, so it is necessary to check at the hotel. However, the missus says that it usually leaves after dark and so you just enjoy the lights along the banks rather than the scenery.

• Like 1