95-year-old mother stays with son’s body six days

Thaivisa News

Loei:- A 95-year-old mother who can barely move had to stay with the body of her son for about six days after the son died of his chronic illness, police said.

The head of Na E-lert village in Tambon Wang Saphung in Loei’s Wang Saphung district happened to learn of the tragic incident when he led some villagers to the house to ask for donation.

Suwit Khamphalar, the village head, called the Wang Saphung police station at 7:30 am to report the incident.

Suwit told police that when he arrived at the house he and other villagers felt strong stench from inside the house. He and the villagers decided to breke into the house and they found Ob Sisook inside the bedroom with the body of Paiboon Sisook, 56.

The old woman appeared fatigued with weak pulse as she had nothing to eat.

The villagers took her out of the house and tried to give her some foods and water but she could not tell what happened.

Police, a doctor on duty and rescuers from the Sawang Khiritham Loei Foundation rushed to the scene. They found the decamped body in the bedroom. The doctor estimated that the man had died about six days earlier.

Boon Boonmachom, 65, who is familiar with the family, said the woman has four children. Three have moved away to live with their own families while Paiboon, who had several chronic ailments, stayed home to take care of his mother.

Local villagers said they saw the house closed for four to five days but they did not sense something wrong as they though the family might leave home to make a Songkran travel.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I hope somebody will take good care of the old lady. Seems to happen in more civilized countries pretty often.

"more civilized countries"

Civilized?

Not sure I'd call countries where elderly people are routinely dumped in warehouses for the old or otherwise abandoned to fend for themselves by their loving children "civilized."

In terms of non-governmental community support for marginalized people, I would consider Thailand more civilized than some of the "wealthier" countries. In those countries this sort of thing wouldn't even qualify as news.

It was certainly an unfortunate and gruesome thing to have happened, but apparently the son who had medical problems of his own had been caring for his elderly mother at home.

I assume the US would qualify for your definition of "more civilized" and yet ...

Nearly 9 million Americans 50 and older face the risk of hunger, according to new research commissioned by AARP Foundation.

http://www.aarp.org/aarp-foundation/our-work/hunger/info-2012/hunger-research-2011.html

In "civilized" countries, governments want to take responsibility to care for family members away from families in order to increase control over individuals (strategic objective) and increase job security and grow government agency jobs (tactical objectives). The result is that the elderly and the physically handicapped suffer alone in anonymous and dehumanizing conditions at medical institutions, elderly hospices and elderly care facilities. Governments promote the idea that we should be able to choose "not to be a burden on our family members" in order to grow government.

One of the most profound and comforting documents that I have ever come across is an ancient Buddhist text titled "On Dying". I found an audible recording of it, which had an introduction by the Dali Lama. I wasn't expecting to be so moved by the text. I am Christian, but I most strongly recommend this text to anyone.

It certainly seems that the elderly lady requires care, perhaps that son was the only immediate family left, whatever the circumstances I am pretty sure this dear old lady is now in better hands and being looked after in the village,, it is indeed very difficult to imagine the torment that this lady went through, at 95 you can do without this, as we all know this happens from time to time in any civilization , some how they slip through the radar. coffee1.gif

They found the decamped body facepalm.gif

To decamp the scene is to leave

His body was still there

As for : felt a strong stench facepalm.gif

Better someone includes a spell checker on the next software they copy

"They found the decamped decomposed body"

There, will that suffice?

No spellchecker needed, decamped was properly spelled. They simply used the wrong word.

I think most readers understood the gist of the story, don't you?