Android Box ...quad core, where to buy, are they any good ?

dirtycash

Personally don't think the technology is quite good enough to be used as a constant source of entertainment, in my experience with Kodi I found it messy and inconsistent and in my opinion somethings like sport365 for sports and torrents for tv / movies is the way to go. Maybe I just need to invest in some solid package like sport365 to serve my movie / tv needs but I was really disappointed in Kodi.

I'll give it another year or so and try again

Its all about sources. Use good ones and its fine

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Ugoos UT3S has the best specs I can find in an Android TV box. It was just upgraded from the previous Ugoos UT3. There are two versions, a base model w/2GB RAM and 16GB ROM and a 4GB RAM w/32GB ROM (the one I want). They also duel boot Android 4.4 (soon to be 5.0 Lollipop) and Ubuntu 14.10

I have not bought it yet but, If anyone knows of a box with better specs. please share as I'm going to order it soon.

Also looking at this SHARKK Backlit Keyboard to go with it along with my wireless trackball mouse.

I have been using XMBC/Kodi on my windows laptop running HDMI to the TV or just the laptop in bed and I am quite Happy with it. It can even get Thai TV.

Also using Ironsocket VPN gets around any Geo restricted content just fine.

Now its time to eliminate the laptop and just get a box connected 24/7.

Personally don't think the technology is quite good enough to be used as a constant source of entertainment, in my experience with Kodi I found it messy and inconsistent and in my opinion somethings like sport365 for sports and torrents for tv / movies is the way to go. Maybe I just need to invest in some solid package like sport365 to serve my movie / tv needs but I was really disappointed in Kodi.

well then, tell us a good source ?

This Ugoos UT3S has the best specs I can find in an Android TV box. It was just upgraded from the previous Ugoos UT3. There are two versions, a base model w/2GB RAM and 16GB ROM and a 4GB RAM w/32GB ROM (the one I want). They also duel boot Android 4.4 (soon to be 5.0 Lollipop) and Ubuntu 14.10

I have not bought it yet but, If anyone knows of a box with better specs. please share as I'm going to order it soon.

Also looking at this SHARKK Backlit Keyboard to go with it along with my wireless trackball mouse.

I have been using XMBC/Kodi on my windows laptop running HDMI to the TV or just the laptop in bed and I am quite Happy with it. It can even get Thai TV.

Also using Ironsocket VPN gets around any Geo restricted content just fine.

Now its time to eliminate the laptop and just get a box connected 24/7.

Just got one of these, but I haven't unboxed it yet.

gbox-q-combo.jpg

Supports UHD 4K, Gigabit Wifi, has quad core processor and octocore Graphics processor.

I may unbox it over the weekend and see how it goes. I got this to go with it:

hqdefault.jpg

http://matricom.net/product_page/g-box-q/

http://www.amazon.com/GBOX-Q-KEY-Yourself-Minutes-Installs-Add-ons/dp/B00Q984YCW

I bought a Minix X7 at Tukcom Patts about 6 months ago. Wasnt expensive and very happy with and a much more capable media player than my Samsung Smart TV. I have setup KODI and satisfied with the performance too.

Further to my above post I should have also mentioned that I purchased a Riitek Rii Mini i13 Airmouse/wireless keyboard and have been very happy with it's performance also. Beats the remote that came with the Minix hands down and does everything I need it to. It took a while to get used to it but give it time and you'll be zooming around the screen.

The only downside I found is the small size of the keyboard but I don't type a lot so it's not a big deal. Still, when I do use it for the occasional "statement" that needs to be typed it gets the job done.

I have found it to be an excellent airmouse and keyboard with good battery life.

I am not aware of any dealers here in Thailand but you can purchase directly from the manufacturer and their service was also very good although delivery from China was a little slow. Their English was OK too!

http://www.riitek.com/goods/detail/50.htm

Gotta love the gimmickry and marketing that goes into these products.

Something to stand away from all the other vendors, make the customer feel like their getting something unique, special or even legitimate.

Looks like a USB Drive that's probably loaded with setup scripts and sources they'd rather protect (and earn a couple of buck by selling as hardware). Certainly not a security dongle.

41FK4dAE68L.jpg

Ah, Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!

Yes, I'm sure it is an Authentic and Original Keyman Electronics Product. But totally unnecessary.

Just got one of these, but I haven't unboxed it yet.

gbox-q-combo.jpg

Supports UHD 4K, Gigabit Wifi, has quad core processor and octocore Graphics processor.

I may unbox it over the weekend and see how it goes. I got this to go with it:

hqdefault.jpg

http://matricom.net/product_page/g-box-q/

http://www.amazon.com/GBOX-Q-KEY-Yourself-Minutes-Installs-Add-ons/dp/B00Q984YCW

Kewl, thanks for sharing. Let us know how your enjoying it.

The best source I have found for Kodi is Genesis. I am using a Minx NEO X8-h plus. I like it so much, I purchased a 2nd to take on the road with me. I am using the A2 airmouse/keyboard combo unit and again am very pleased with it. Just do a google search for "android box reviews" and use that to make your choice of box. You really have to be careful with these boxes. I am a member of a few Kodi groups and people are complaining all the time about their systems going down. I have never read about a Minx box breaking.

well then, tell us a good source ?

It all depends what you want to watch- listen to?

For us, our best Kodi source is our NAS drive full of all the movies and TV series we have/want. Not reliant on a good internet stream for that.

For live stuff we like news and sports and we like Robin Hood, Vdub25t, Phoenix and uPlayHD, Agree Genesis is a good repository of movies and TV shows, but I find little interest in much there and it to be too US centric.

..... You really have to be careful with these boxes. I am a member of a few Kodi groups and people are complaining all the time about their systems going down. I have never read about a Minx box breaking.

Exactly.

I had a Tronsmart Vega before.

The HDMI port of this poorly manufactured crap died within 4-6 weeks, without even touching the cable.

Re soldered it, but sometimes no signal.

It's now running as a headless "miniature server (Lighttpd, PHP, Mysql, SSH, SMB)" and an attached HDD for movies/music.

The Minix 8-Plus is far superior manufactured and has much bigger heat sink (important at our temperatures) for example.

I noticed that, when I opened the box to set a jumper to enable "Auto start" on current.

PS: Kodi 14/15 with all the "necessary plugins" is performing absolutely smooth on this box.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know where I can buy a good high end Android TV box online from a Thai company for delivery within Thailand, preferably with EMS shipping for 1/2 day delivery ?

I'd like to use a few apps, one of them being ilikehd...

Hi

i have been looking into different options... and like many others I am a little confused by it all.

7) Therefore we could pay out say 7000 baht for a box that will not work in say 6 months time.... or worse... examples may be made by prosecuting a few thousand of us to warn the others...

comments anyone?

I guess you are a glass half empty kind of guy? A good quad core box can be had for under 4-5000THB. As pointed out by RC they have loads of configurable options inc legit ones. Install Kodi and most of ones needs are fulfilled.

But, for that money, i would prefer to add 2-3000 Baht and buy a cheap notebook. Controllable by keyboard/mouse and remote desktop control. I think this is still the best solution.

these boxes deal with media and streaming FAR better than any notebook could at least my minix X8H does

they also have optical outs etc, perfect for surround sound and home theater applications. you fiddle around with windows, ill just watch my stuff.

I just installed AIS fibre and an android box is included. There is a special this week...free installation and cable/android box/router for about 350 per month. Our True vision is 850...and no android box. You can get yourself a wireless Logitech keyboard with mousepad (all in one unit) for about 1200 baht. Then you can use the android operating system without a remote control.

I would not buy the box you are mentioning...as all that is provided by AIS.

I have had the Minix Neo 7 for about 2 years now

running the Wasser firmware

I use Kodi 15 to view torrents downloaded beforehand

Could not be more happy

Streaming is not an option where I live (outside of LOS)

Why not?

I'm outside of LOS and virtually all my TV watching is via streams now.

The cost of pay TV where I live is prohibitive, and that is for reruns of three year old TV series.

Streaming is not possible on a capped service

and an unreliable service at that bah.gif

When buying, do make sure that a decent remote is included.

I have the A2 air mouse, which has a key board on the rear

perfectly adequate for my needs as any serious typing is done on the PC

Watch out for these "fully loaded" packages

If you can download and install apps on your smartphone, the TV box is no different!!

In fact I have the same id on both and the purchase of an app on one

also means it can be used on the the other

• 4 weeks later...

Bought an android box from the Thailand L site last week.

Good reviews but my impressions are, the box I bought, it's cheap and nasty, in that the connectors are a sloppy fit, same with the power pack, and no information on the underside of the box on the chipset etc. Remote is problematic.

I am up country and use CAT wifi and iliketv.

Eventually got it working with the help of the staff at iliktv.

Seems iliktv have their own android box which they are now selling.

What I would do next time, is decide which ipt mob I was going to use and ask them if they had a box, or could recommend a box for their service, so I would decide on the provider before I bought the box, and not buy a good reviewed box and then select the provider.

• 1 month later...

Hi, am looking for an Android Stick. Have tried searching all of Panthip (PetBuri) and Fortune, but everyone seems to be selling Boxes instead of sticks. Leotech only has 500Mb of RAM. Am looking for something with 2Gb. I've been using the MK808 for a while, and am looking to upgrade from that. Anyone can help? Thank You

Why not?

I'm outside of LOS and virtually all my TV watching is via streams now.

The cost of pay TV where I live is prohibitive, and that is for reruns of three year old TV series.

The UK blocks most streaming these days.

If you live there, bad luck.

Hi, am looking for an Android Stick. Have tried searching all of Panthip (PetBuri) and Fortune, but everyone seems to be selling Boxes instead of sticks. Leotech only has 500Mb of RAM. Am looking for something with 2Gb. I've been using the MK808 for a while, and am looking to upgrade from that. Anyone can help? Thank You

I'm not sure if there are any sticks with 2Gb ram, so i guess you will have to look for a box.

Minix X8 H Plus is called the king of boxes, but the CS-X806 is using the same processor and has the same spec and cost about half of a Minix.

I own both of them, and i can't notice a difference in using them for Kodi.

why buy? ais gives you a free android box with their service.

Had fun setting my up with various apps....even the same browsers I use for windows.

does pretty much everything I need.

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/

Why buy? Dont understand. Can you use Kodi on the box? Does it get every home channel from back home? Can you get all the new movies and old ones also?

Minix X8 H Plus is called the king of boxes, but the CS-X806 is using the same processor and has the same spec and cost about half of a Minix.

Yes, but does it receive regular updates, like the Minix does?

I have a "Tronsmart" with the same specs...HDMI broken after four weeks, crappy build quality.

My Minix runs 24/7 since one year, never missed a beat.

When it comes to Android boxes, Minix is clearly the No.1 nowadays.

It just works...

Yes, but does it receive regular updates, like the Minix does?

I have a "Tronsmart" with the same specs...HDMI broken after four weeks, crappy build quality.

My Minix runs 24/7 since one year, never missed a beat.

When it comes to Android boxes, Minix is clearly the No.1 nowadays.

It just works...

I guess at one point the CX-S806 will receive an update, haven't received one to date and I bought it in June, but it also hasn't failed once yet so it clearly didn't need an update.

The Minix however received 2 updates since I purchased it early September, and in my opinion, updates are only issued when there are bugs in the firmware.

The Minix however received 2 updates since I purchased it early September, and in my opinion, updates are only issued when there are bugs in the firmware.

Wrong.

I've purchased the Minix last December and received a couple of firmware updates.

Mostly they've added new features, some only with bug fixing.

If you're interested, have a look here: http://www.minixforum.com/forums/neo-x8-h-plus-official-firmware-releases.82/

Wrong.

I've purchased the Minix last December and received a couple of firmware updates.

Mostly they've added new features, some only with bug fixing.

If you're interested, have a look here: http://www.minixforum.com/forums/neo-x8-h-plus-official-firmware-releases.82/

If you say so. I don't see much more then FIXED in the change logs, and the very few added features are available in my CX-S806 firmware already which dates April 2015.

As I said previously, I own both devices, and I'm not saying the Minix is an inferior device, only that the CX-S806 with the same processor and specs as the Minix functions identical as the Minix at half the purchase price.

The change log from the last updates of the Minix X8 H plus.

Stock to 002 (25/12/2014)

1. New ADPUS FOTA update software deployed

2. Ethernet throughput increases from ~400Mbps -> ~900Mbps

3. Increased eMMC read/write performance

4. Unlocked WiFi Channel 13

5. Minix Metro launcher updated

6. Added "HDMI & SPDIF passthrough" option

7. Fixed Vietnam TV streaming app problem

8. Fixed Sopcast V1.1.0 no video issue

9. Added Logitech Harmony remote support

002 to 003 (04/02/2015)

1. Fixed Ethernet MAC address reading error bug

2. Fixed can't switch to 4K bug (2014 Samsung "future ready" TVs must use HDMI port 3 - MHL port, other ports have been found to have compatibility issues)

3. Fixed HDMI-CEC wakeup issue

4. Fixed Vietnam htvonlinetv bug

5. Fixed Bluetooth failed to re-connect bug

6. Added self-adaptive refresh rate switching option (no need to enable switching inside of XBMC anymore)

7. Fixed some 25fps videos playback stuttering issue

8. Fixed eurosport app keep loading issue

9. Fixed "Saint Seiya MP4" kind of playback stuttering issue

10. Improved HDMI passthrough compatibility with some older TVs

11. Fixed Indonesia TV Plus app playback quality issue

12. Fixed TV Radio Malaysia app playback quality issue

13. Fixed Indonesia Lumen app playback quality issue

14. Channel 13 patch removed

15. Re-enabling AML remote controller option (http://minix.com.hk/downfile/RC_MINIX.apk)

003 to 004 (21/04/2015)

1. Fixed IR not responsive well issue

2. Fixed mouse movement doesn't exit screensaver issue

3. Fixed XBMC/Kodi wakeup bug

4. Fixed Premier League Pass (New Zealand) unable to playback issue

5. Fixed MyTV (HK) app playback issue

6. Fixed AML remote control failed to connect issue

7. Removed HDMI-CEC yellow/blue keys remapping

8. Fixed MX player subtitle duplicating issue

9. Fixed when muted the UI key movement still have sound issue

10. Fixed HDMI-CEC multi devices and long press issues

004 to 005 (06/05/2015)

1. Fixed HDMI-CEC power up issue

2. Fixed some WEB-DL / 23.976fps videos stuttering issue

3. Added Logitech Harmony support (EXPERIMENTAL, not tested since we don't have the device)

4. Fixed IMDB app can't launch issue

5. Fixed hotspot freezing bug

6. Setting default of self-adaptive refresh rate switching feature to OFF <- We have decided to make this default to OFF because lots of users thought it's a bug to have intermittent black screen when the switches take place)

005 to 006 (06/07/2015)

1. CEC display name changed to X8

2. Fixed CEC wakeup issue for Panasonic TVs

3. Added auto sleep timer option

4. Added SMB server option

5. Fixed FilmOn Live TV slow loading channel issue

6. Updated Minix launcher

7. Fixed Denmark TDC Play app playback issue

8. Fixed playback issue of some .avi files

9. Fixed fps drop issue of some WEB-DL files

10. Fixed 3D playback display issue of Vidon Kodi app

11. Updated Xbox 360 controller .kl and .kcm files

12. Added VPN status on Minix launcher home screen

13. Fixed WiFi wake-up false connection status bug

14. Added Logitech Harmony series remote controllers support

15. Added Mele F10 Deluxe .kl file

16. Removed simultaneous audio output of both HDMI and headphone jack

006 to 006A (08/07/2015) OTA

1. Re-enabling settings hotkey of stock IR remote

2. Fixed Minix UI icon width problem

3. Changed the VPN status icon of Minix UI

006A to 007 (31/08/2015)

1. Volume locked when passthrough mode is in use

2. libstagefright security patches

3. Fixed YouTube livestream unable to play issue

4. Added simultaneous HDMI and analog audio switch

5. Added Ethernet to faked WiFi state option

6. Fixed SPDIF PCM no output issue

7. Fixed Vidon XBMC 3D playback issue

8. Added RK remote app compatibility support

007 to 007A (25/09/2015)

1. Fixed NEO A2 Lite enter key not working issue

2. Fixed Youtube livestream bug

3. Removed volume control lock of passthrough mode

4. Fixed WiFi auto-enabled bug

Maybe you should have a look at this review of the CX-S806

The app reports the same processor with four ARM Cortex A9 cores clocked between 24 MHz and 1.99 GHz coupled with a Mali-450MP GPU. The model is S806 (n200), the resolution 1920×1080 (240dpi) and the system has 1,606 MB RAM available to Android with 5.26 GB internal storage. Interestingly, n200 is the same code as MINIX NEO X8-H Plus.

Archived