Android Box ...quad core, where to buy, are they any good ?

dirtycash

why buy? ais gives you a free android box with their service.

Had fun setting my up with various apps....even the same browsers I use for windows.

does pretty much everything I need.

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/

Why buy? Dont understand. Can you use Kodi on the box? Does it get every home channel from back home? Can you get all the new movies and old ones also?

No. You would have to join an "online service" for that.

But many channels are included. The others...you can use vpn and there are still many free sources for online tv and programs.

point is...it's free...with their wifi service. You will be paying for wifi service just the same...for your box.... so if you want both...get both....same price.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had fun setting my up with various apps....even the same browsers I use for windows.

Why buy? Dont understand. Can you use Kodi on the box? Does it get every home channel from back home? Can you get all the new movies and old ones also?

No. You would have to join an "online service" for that.

But many channels are included. The others...you can use vpn and there are still many free sources for online tv and programs.

point is...it's free...with their wifi service. You will be paying for wifi service just the same...for your box.... so if you want both...get both....same price.

Why wouldn't it be possible to install Kodi on the AIS box?

My understanding is that it can be installed on any device that runs Android 4.2.2 or higher, and doesn't need to be rooted or anything else.

Though i notice that the AIS box only has 1Gb RAM, which may be a disadvantage.

Free, with their WiFi service, you will be paying for WiFi service just the same ...???

What are you talking about? As far as I know the AIS PlayBox is only available when subscribing to AIS Fibre.

I found Minix to be poor value for money because,

They deliberately disable it from working with 3rd party hardware (like Tronsmart remotes).

Their forum regularly bans any members that post about faults.

Their updates try to correct stuff that should have worked from day 1 (and often fail or introduce new faults).

The equipment often costs 3x as much as similar rival boxes.

I now buy the cheaper boxes, and chuck when I want something new.

I won't buy Minix again.

They deliberately disable it from working with 3rd party hardware (like Tronsmart remotes).

Their updates try to correct stuff that should have worked from day 1 (and often fail or introduce new faults).

I won't buy Minix again.

i like my minix and think their forum is very good so I'd recommend it. But i also have a mk808B and at $30 its a great tv box. I don't get any updates but i havent needed any. I use both for Kodi both work fine. The remote i bought to use on the mk808B actually works better than the Minix air mouse A1

I won't buy Minix again.

Its been one of the top performing and selling boxes since they first came out. And thats with a few different models. The reviews are always top notch. Their forum is the best in business. The vast majority of media boxes have no forums and no support. Minix I believe is the only "over the air" automatic upgrades in the box world.

And I havent flashed mine either as they work just fine. Reading the forums, people are always having to update bios etc when their boxes stop working, minix dont need to at all.

They cost more because they are the best and have the best features.

I have 2 androids and a windows version and couldnt be happier. The windows version is a straight up computer. $150 for a full computer heck Id pay that all day long.

Minix is one of the best around, hands down.

They deliberately disable hardware. Ha, I use 3rd party normal mouses, air mouses and keyboards without issue.

I just checked their forum and people who didnt give positive comments and they are still members.

I would purchase other minix boxes if I need them. I already have 3 just cant find a reason to get another....yet. Ive been running my androids for 2 years no issues.

I'm not sure if there are any sticks with 2Gb ram, so i guess you will have to look for a box.

Minix X8 H Plus is called the king of boxes, but the CS-X806 is using the same processor and has the same spec and cost about half of a Minix.

I own both of them, and i can't notice a difference in using them for Kodi.

MC: Thanx for the reply. I did however in that time find this 2Gb stick. Anyone tried it before? For now, this seems like the one with the highest specs overall:

http://www.wd.co.th/goods.php?id=83

If anyone's interested, there's a big selection of Mini-Computers, TV Boxes and Stick Computers at the ComMart show at Queen Sirikit Exhibition Center (Queen Sirikit MRT stop) through the weekend (through Nov 8).

Pros: Lot's of pretties strutting their stuff, and lots of computers, some at discounted prices.

Cons: It's loud, it's crowded. I literally took foam earplugs with me when I went back yesterday evening, and I was glad I had 'em.

Edit: On a related note, quick question:

Anyone tried one of the cheapo Android sticks with 512 Mb RAM, 4 Gig of ROM and a micro SD slot? Leotech is the brand. They have them for 650 baht at QSNCC.

I'm looking for something cheap I can load up with some videos and keep in my travel kit, for those times I'm at a hotel with 56 channels in Thai, Chinese and Russian and 2 English news channels. I already have laptops connected to each TV at home, so I'm looking for small, cheap and convenient, and not a lot of features- just plug it into a hotel TV HDMI port and play some videos.

If anyone's interested, there's a big selection of Mini-Computers, TV Boxes and Stick Computers at the ComMart show at Queen Sirikit Exhibition Center (Queen Sirikit MRT stop) through the weekend (through Nov 8).

Pros: Lot's of pretties strutting their stuff, and lots of computers, some at discounted prices.

Cons: It's loud, it's crowded. I literally took foam earplugs with me when I went back yesterday evening, and I was glad I had 'em.

Edit: On a related note, quick question:

Anyone tried one of the cheapo Android sticks with 512 Mb RAM, 4 Gig of ROM and a micro SD slot? Leotech is the brand. They have them for 650 baht at QSNCC.

I'm looking for something cheap I can load up with some videos and keep in my travel kit, for those times I'm at a hotel with 56 channels in Thai, Chinese and Russian and 2 English news channels. I already have laptops connected to each TV at home, so I'm looking for small, cheap and convenient, and not a lot of features- just plug it into a hotel TV HDMI port and play some videos.

Have you not got a smartphone that will do that?

500+ ram seems low but if you are just playing videos you've already downloaded then i would have thought its ok.

500+ ram seems low but if you are just playing videos you've already downloaded then i would have thought its ok.

I should have been more clear that I want to play on the hotel TV's which are 32" LCD models with HDMI input in most of the places I stay. My cell phone and my backup pad/phone play video's nicely, but then I have to sit in one place and actually look at the tiny screens if I want to watch them...

For <$20, I bought the 650 baht stick today, popped in a micro SD with some videos, plugged it into the HDMI port on my monitor/TV and it works like a champ so far. A little too much bloatware, but it's easy enough to delete it. For 650 baht, I'm a happy camper, and the stick fits nicely in my travel kit.

It's got very functional WiFi and Ethernet, which is much more than I expected. I'm a little disappointed that there is a power cable and an extension wire for the remote control sensor to plug into the stick, but the wires hanging off will probably remind me not to leave it behind at the hotel room. A bad habit that also pushes me to stick with inexpensive stuff for use in hotels...

FYI, the remote control is wireless, but since the stick is plugged into the back of a TV during use, there's an IR sensor on a short wire that can be placed in front of the TV where it can "see" the remote.

I should have been more clear that I want to play on the hotel TV's which are 32" LCD models with HDMI input in most of the places I stay. My cell phone and my backup pad/phone play video's nicely, but then I have to sit in one place and actually look at the tiny screens if I want to watch them...

For <$20, I bought the 650 baht stick today, popped in a micro SD with some videos, plugged it into the HDMI port on my monitor/TV and it works like a champ so far. A little too much bloatware, but it's easy enough to delete it. For 650 baht, I'm a happy camper, and the stick fits nicely in my travel kit.

It's got very functional WiFi and Ethernet, which is much more than I expected. I'm a little disappointed that there is a power cable and an extension wire for the remote control sensor to plug into the stick, but the wires hanging off will probably remind me not to leave it behind at the hotel room. A bad habit that also pushes me to stick with inexpensive stuff for use in hotels...

FYI, the remote control is wireless, but since the stick is plugged into the back of a TV during use, there's an IR sensor on a short wire that can be placed in front of the TV where it can "see" the remote.

Think you could have achieved the same with a simple USB harddrive, not that it would have saved you much on that 650 Baht, but I think most LCD screens are able to play movies from USB.

Think you could have achieved the same with a simple USB harddrive, not that it would have saved you much on that 650 Baht, but I think most LCD screens are able to play movies from USB.

Sonofabitch.

I hate when someone takes a fresh look at my $50 problem and offers up a perfectly good $5 solution. Embarrassing...

I may do this, but it looks to me as though it is not really 'free' - 6,000 baht in activation and installation fees sort of negate the argument and you are tied in to 12 months like it or not.

If the fees are zero then it does sound like a good offer - to act on right now. Before Nov 30 anyway.

wai.gif

Pardon my ignorance here, I am a desktop guy since they were invented so I place little trust in these 'magic boxes' laugh.png

Would you replace a desktop pc with this? For one, can you run MS Office applications, uTorrent and other windows sw such as games?

Also, is there any security? I use Peerblock today, are there similar tools?

I imagine you still need an ISP, so does this box replace or connect to the router the ISP supplies?

Still skeptical, after many re-visits biggrin.png

I may do this, but it looks to me as though it is not really 'free' - 6,000 baht in activation and installation fees sort of negate the argument and you are tied in to 12 months like it or not.

If the fees are zero then it does sound like a good offer - to act on right now. Before Nov 30 anyway.

wai.gif

Thje service and activation fees ( total 6500 Baht) are free.

wai.gif

Thje service and activation fees ( total 6500 Baht) are free.

You know this how? I was hoping slippery could let us know as he has recently subscribed.

According to their site the PLAYBOX is free but maybe not the activation fee. Same goes for the Fixed Line installation fee.

Oh, and the phone excess call charges also seem daunting Just what is an Excess Charge?

Read deeper and they mention for home users bit-torrent may be available through an 'add-on' service...

post-41405-0-11376500-1446972426_thumb.j

Apologies of course if your response is based upon personal experience...

A friend brought me an Nvidia Shield from the US (7000b), available in the UK now, and probably here too at a mark up

It is the best spec'd android box available right now.

Im using it with kodi: genesis, zeus, dextertv, ccloud etc

all good on a 13Mb true adsl

Kodi is a learning curve - easier to set up on a computer, back-up your set up, then restore to your box (if no bluetooth keyboard), but once you get the gist of how it works it's great.

Live UK tv is good in theory, but with the time difference, there's often nothing on worth watching.

Genesis is my goto add on, think netflix, but more content, newer and free....!

Sure, they are all of dubious legality, and and some point may be shutdown, to then be replaced by another source.....

Nope incorrect. They have to be formatted correctly. Not as common as you think, lots of proprietary factors involved

Pardon my ignorance here, I am a desktop guy since they were invented so I place little trust in these 'magic boxes' laugh.png

Would you replace a desktop pc with this? For one, can you run MS Office applications, uTorrent and other windows sw such as games?

I imagine you still need an ISP, so does this box replace or connect to the router the ISP supplies?

Some can, some cant. I have a windows version Minix box and it can can run all windows software without issue. I have a usb ssd hardrive for an external device. Check out youtube reviews to see them in action first hand.

Not all can perform what you are looking for but for sure the minix systems can.

Nope incorrect. They have to be formatted correctly. Not as common as you think, lots of proprietary factors involved

Oh my god, how stupid of me.

You mean the movies can not be in .doc or .xls?coffee1.gif

I can just relate my experience.

I live in Isaan where many things digital are a challenge.

I wanted to watch the Rugby World Cup on my big LED TV.

I already have a pretty good internet connection supplied by CAT fibre.

I signed up with a stream provider for B 250 pre month and bought a cheap and nasty Android box from the only Thai supplier starting with L.

The Android box is wireless from the WiFi CAT internet.

Even though the stream drops out now and then (not bad now), it is great for me, considerning the location I am living in.

So to answer your questions: it is a 'magic box' with the same chip set as other recent 'magic boxes', but has cheap and nasty case and connectors, with no specs or brand name on the box except 'Android'. You could replace a desktop with it, I wouldn't as the Android box the way I use it is for a special function and my desktop is also for a special function like CAD, etc. You would also need an optical keyboard as keying in info with the remote is no good. You can run applications on it, so torrents etc will run. I don't have security on the Android box when I use it with my LED TV. You still need an ISP, unless you used a satellite feed to connect to it, which would be much too expensive to pay for streamed data by the Gb.

For my purpose it's great. It doesn't replace my 64 bit desktop or my laptop or my smart phone or my mobile phone, or my Kindle, but it has it's purpose. smile.png

A friend brought me an Nvidia Shield from the US (7000b), available in the UK now, and probably here too at a mark up

Kodi is a learning curve - easier to set up on a computer, back-up your set up, then restore to your box (if no bluetooth keyboard), but once you get the gist of how it works it's great.

Live UK tv is good in theory, but with the time difference, there's often nothing on worth watching.

Sure, they are all of dubious legality, and and some point may be shutdown, to then be replaced by another source.....

I've just bought one of these off amazon. I got the one with the internal 500mb hard drive. I haven't set it up yet but did you have any problems setting up Kodi? After I get KODI on it I want to set up andy's build from the kodimaster web site as that's the build I use on my HTPC

I've just bought one of these off amazon. I got the one with the internal 500mb hard drive. I haven't set it up yet but did you have any problems setting up Kodi? After I get KODI on it I want to set up andy's build from the kodimaster web site as that's the build I use on my HTPC

I hadn't heard of Andy's build so I quickly googled it - a ready to go set up with add ons and programs etc

When you first connect your Shield, on the main screen it will (probably) show updates are available - there was 2 updates for the box, then updates for the controllers on mine. After I had fully updated I installed the latest Kodi.

Kodi is available in the playstore, so no problems installing it.

Its then possible to clone your HTPC set up; I followed this guide

http://www.tvaddons.ag/clone-configuration-kodi/

The guide refers to XBMC, so its for an older version and the menus differ slightly - pretty much wherever it says navigate to XBMC xxxx look for KODI xxxx.

In the KODI repository (which is installed by default) there is a program add on called backup. Once this is enabled/installed on your HTPC go to program add ons and perform a backup - you can choose the save path, so its easiest to save it directly to a micro SD.

Install the back up program on your shield, then restore from the SD card and voila!!

Edit: I notice that andys build uses a custom skin; I'm not certain it's compatible, but more than likely it will work

I have just bought a MINIX Neo X8-h, will be delivered soon, my question is what are my options for Thai channels, I will have the MINIX and I have CTH with a dish both connected with HDMI cable, I do not want to keep switching the HDMI cable over, in fact I want to remove the CTH all together and just have the box, will the box have the standard Thai channels so the mil can watch her Thai news ect?.

I have just bought a MINIX Neo X8-h, will be delivered soon, my question is what are my options for Thai channels, I will have the MINIX and I have CTH with a dish both connected with HDMI cable, I do not want to keep switching the HDMI cable over, in fact I want to remove the CTH all together and just have the box, will the box have the standard Thai channels so the mil can watch her Thai news ect?.

There are many FREE apps that will let you watch the Thai Free-View channels. PSI is my favorite because it is fast.

If you want to view subscription channels then that's another kettle of fish waiting to be turned into spicy uncooked koi plaa fish salad.

Archived