6 month contract given at well known TH gov University

Anyone seeing activity like this?

Myself and 3 other teachers just received 6 month contract renewal and no pay raise (2-3% is standard and was given last renewal).

We have been given no specific info about why.

All 4 teachers are from different countries and been employed between 1 - 8 years. Myself only 1 year.

Since we can only speculate as to why, (no money etc) I wanted to know if others out there have run into the same mess.

I do not wish to mention the name of the University. It is a well know and respected government school with relatively high standards.

Thanks for any info you have. Very concerning activity for those of us with kids and no marriage visa.

Would all four of you be one unit and go for it, they might consider to give you a one year contract plus a pay raise.

But as far as i know, that will never happen.

You're basically screwed in many ways, they don't have to pay for any midterm and if you all agree, the next contract might be even worse.

Whatever you decide, best of luck. wai2.gif

P.S. Even the guy who had been there for eight years will only get a six month contract? That doesn't sound right to me.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

P.S. Even the guy who had been there for eight years will only get a six month contract? That doesn't sound right to me.

He has indeed. Western guy upper 50's. Western teacher #2- 4 years; Japanese Teacher- 5 years, Me American -1 year.

We all had to sign an acceptance letter before they will process our contracts (also new protocol) .

Edited by mrjonyoung

Unless the pay is well above standard then tell them to take a flying leap

No one should sign a 6 mth contract other than a short term high pay fill in position

BTW for those that dont know, many unis are now running ASEAN terms and are about to go on holidays till August (?)

so April is not the big mth it once was for finding work at unis.

• Like 2

YIKES.... Down here... they pull the extremely low salary for a MA.. thus no one will come, thus they keep NEST at bay.

Sorry to hear about your situation.. Well...hmm I feel for the 8 year guy... Check about first.. obviously a 6 month is an harbinger of things to come.. beat them to it..

Cheers Mates.....all the best.

• Like 1

thinking about it schools like that should be reported to the MOE

and there should be a standard base contract (maybe there is?) that you work from there UP.

but its sadly stupid wishful thinking that they would act in favor of some farang teachers

I work for a well know and respected government uni who ensure all visas & work permits finish towards the end of September. If they employ someone throughout the year, their first contract will only run up to that time. Maybe that's whats happening there.

I work for a well know and respected government uni who ensure all visas & work permits finish towards the end of September. If they employ someone throughout the year, their first contract will only run up to that time. Maybe that's whats happening there.

When you read the OP's post again you might realize that they must have had one year contracts before.

The only solution and I really mean it, would be to have all foreigners united as a sort of "Foreign Teacher's Association", which of course would have to be accepted by the freaking MoE. and their puppets from Khurusapha.

Please don't get me wrong, but there're schools now, who offer native English speakers 12 K, plus a free house on campus.

Okay, the guy doesn't have a degree, but quite a few years of teaching experience.

But please try to get Brits, Americans and other nationalities together to discuss something similar. I've heard that the Filipinos in this country seem to be more clever and on their way to build something that will finally be powerful.

But please have a look at the UK. United Kingdom? A doesn't like B. C hates E and F dislikes G.

Then please listen to what some Brits think about Americans. And that goes on and on and on...................

Then you've got the frogs, the Krauts and god knows what else to criticize.

I apologize for my long post, must be in the middle of a teaching in Thailand crisis. Just forget it.

P.S. Dear OP. Please try to talk to your colleagues and if you've come to a suitable conclusion, please confront the superiors.

Would they really gt rid of all of you, if you're not okay with such a contract? What contracts do nearby universities offer?

If you all agree, you'll shovel your own grave. Best of luck.

Edited by lostinisaan

I'd assume that your university is planning on reviewing the foreign teachers, and will ask you to re-apply for your jobs in 6 months time.

A friend of mine had something similar happen at his university last year when it came time to renew the foreign teacher's contracts in his department, as they wanted to cut the total number of staff by 2 (Although they didn't give them 6 month contracts, just told them 3 months before the end of their existing contracts that their positions were being reviewed).

As it turned out, he lost his job, although was then picked up by another department in the same university, so it all ended positively for him.