Do You Live In A Thai Village Full Time

macb

I lived in a village in NST called Chian Yai. Horrible place, awful people. They'd walk up and laugh in your face and talk about you without even waiting for you to get out of earshot. Funerals every week, no lie. At times there were more than one a week, loud drunken pagan rituals all through the night. Murders, drivebys, street dogs had controll, there were thousands of them barking all night long. There were 40 policemen stationed there but they never did anything. One day there was a driveby near my house and my neighbor was there, he's a cop. A 20-year-old boy was shot five times. He said there'd be no investigation, I asked why, and he said the dead guy was a trouble maker. And here's the killer .. the population was 1600. Now when two people a week die in a town of 1600 ya just have ta wonder.

I'm NOT saying this is the guy, but sounds like it. I'm talking about the farang that was takin out in the woods and tortured to death, some time back, since he hasn't been seen or heard of on this forum

anyways.

Hope it's NOT you 1900. If you're out there send a all clear for us others going that way. :o

Edited by SamuiJens

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One drawback to village life is the hard floor of the 'sala' at the temple and having to sit on it.

Also those low, table-like benches on which they spread a rush mat for you to sit on ---but there is no backrest.

Three years ago when I was in England, I spotted folding armchairs (canvas with a metal frame) on sale at a motorway shop. I bought one, hauled it to Thailand, and subsequently it has gone everywhere with me in the back of the car.

Now at the temple, after making the initial wai and lighting the incense stick, I am allowed to retreat to the back of the congregation and sit in my armchair.

One drawback to village life is the hard floor of the 'sala' at the temple and having to sit on it.

Also those low, table-like benches on which they spread a rush mat for you to sit on ---but there is no backrest.

Three years ago when I was in England, I spotted folding armchairs (canvas with a metal frame) on sale at a motorway shop. I bought one, hauled it to Thailand, and subsequently it has gone everywhere with me in the back of the car.

Now at the temple, after making the initial wai and lighting the incense stick, I am allowed to retreat to the back of the congregation and sit in my armchair.

I suffered this one for some time, and did not like sitting above everyone on a chair, especially at the outdoor concerts, so I ended up cutting the legs off of a plastic garden chair, haha, so I got the back support, and the bum support, without sitting directly on the ground. now its permanently in the back of the pickup!.....2 weeks til my next Thai time...happy days.

To macb and the many many people who have subscribed to this string i have been completely engrossed all weekend reading your stories on and off between meals, a few beers and watching some TV. Like many of you I live upcountry and we are in a small, village called Kuksart about 15 kms south of Lam Plai Mat in Buri Ram province. Lam Plai mat is on the main railway line about 3/4 way from Korat to Buri Ram and we are just a short drive off the road from LPM to Nang Rong.(Phanom Rung country)

You know the one thing that is very obvious from almost every story in these 23 pages is "it's all in the attitude!!!" Some live in what many people would consider less than desirable circumstances but write glowing reports on how much they enjoy their lifestyle whilst many others have created their own little piece of paradise. I don't think that there can be any doubt that with the right attitude and approach, a bit of good old plain commonsense and a desire and the committment to get on with it we humans can achieve anything we want and this string shows exactly how so many of us have done exactly that.

I met my Thai wife 5 years ago, a couple of years after the death of my first wife of 4 decades. My grown up daughters and grandchildren are very supportive and love their step Mother very much. i am 68 years old (young) and still working in the Humanitarian Aid business and Sawai is with me - currently in Aceh Indonesia. She is in her mid 40's and is the most incredible, caring, sensible and smart woman. i am a lucky man. She has a 22 year old son and 15 year old daughter from 2 previous relationships. They both are in Bangkok - him working and Pan at high school. Both of her parents are dead.

Anyway as i said i am a Humanitarian aid worker and was working in Afghanistan when i met Sawai. I was on R & R in Thailand and met her and her sister at a restaurant. I had just flown in from a conference in California and was completely shagged with jet lag so after a bottle of good red wine was chirpy enough to get talking to these two lovely ladies at the next table and found the partner that I will spend the rest of my days with.

Not long after wards I contracted pneumonia (Afghan winter of -10degrees C) and was medevaced to Pakistan. The Doctor there suggested i get into a warmer climate and of course Sawai and Thailand came to mind. My daughters in Australia were both working and it would have been a problem for them. Sawai had built a small one bedroom house herself in Kuksart which was only used by her once or twice a year when she came home for Songkran. She offered to take me there and look after me until i was fit enough to get back to work. That meant she had to stop her job - she had a food stall near Don Muang airport- and I agreed to pay her for the time she spent with me. Of course that resulted in the beginning of what has become a very sound and magnificent relationship.

She now travels with me on my work to many countries and I have taken her to Australia 3 times to meet my family. Many of my family and friends from Oz and UK (My late wife was Scottish) have visited and stayed with us at our beautiful house in Kuksart. We had the traditional village marriage a couple of years ago and the official marriage last Christmas.

I think that is enough for instalment 1 but keep the string going guys and gals. It is the most refreshing reading i have had in years.

I have got plenty of good stories to tell about life in a small Thai village in upcountry Isaan.

Cheers,

Bicko

Thanks Bicko (this is also one of my favourite threads, if not the favourite)

There is a quality of life that you can only receive from just watching the world go by, and get rewarded by a genuine smile when you do make a contribution.

What's the old saying? ...... "seize the day, but smell the roses on the way"..... tomorrow will be pretty much the same as today, I can have an effect upon my life-sphere, I have no control of anything outside it ..... but I have roses.

I feel I should once again thank all the posters who have added there thread to make this a what appears to be a very popular Topic : And of course thank to all the folks that have come to read : I am sure it will keep running for sometime to come :

Many thanks and enjoy :

righty let me get this straight......

you people wake with sunrise, wander round your vast land then grab a bite to eat. Chill a little and fill the dog bowls with water, then chill a little further til lunch. A light lunch then tuck into a good book on the decking til tea. Couple of hours on the net followed by an early night with your Thai lady...

My question is, will they let me in at the gates? :o

Sounds like heaven

My village gates are guarded by two psycho killer fighting cocks and an oversexed billy goat. Getting past them is high risk. Sure way to get in unnoticed is to acquire a 1975 Datsun (preferably red), throw a couple of watermelons in the back, mount at least 10 loud speakers on it, pump up the volume to 95db and scream into the mic "ma durrr...". Last but not least, this must be done at 5AM sharp to guarantee you will enter the village completely unnoticed.

Guys and gals,

I lived in Ban Sakinam, about 12km from downtown Chiayaphum for 19 1/2 months B4 we moved into the apartment in Bangkok we'd been waiting for.

Been in Bangkok now for just five weeks and already wonder HOW I lived in the village as long as I did. Now I do miss all our family, each and every one of Lat's family members and our neighbors, espacially all the kids, we have nieces 1,2,3,4 and a nephew almost 5, but not enough to do the 5 hour one way trips back up there more than once every other month or so, for B'days and holidays.

Since we've been back in Bangkok, I remember how great it is to go to a supermarket and get almost everything I could have wanted and if one supermarket doesn't have an item or two, there are many more to check for the items in.

I enjoy seeing 2-4 movies a week IN ENGLISH, and hitting all the 200 or so great western or Thai food restaurants in BKK.

I must admit, I love the Isaan people, but lean towards life in BKk for whatever years I have left. This from a man who really enjoyed each and every day in Chiayaphum.

Ken Bower

Now living in BKK

Thanks a lot to macb and all contributors.

Wonderful subject

I intend to swith for Europe to LOS country side within 2 years and all what I red just confirm what I think and makes the days longer.

Thanks a lot to macb and all contributors.

Wonderful subject

I intend to swith for Europe to LOS country side within 2 years and all what I red just confirm what I think and makes the days longer.

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the in's and out's of village life in Thailand. I'm really pleased that everyone appears to be happy with their lot and, I'm certain, happy to distance themselves from life in the Western Wasteland. I live in a big western soulless city and can't even relate to your lives, except that I'm a country boy, born and bred and really miss the simple (which is not to mean unsophisticated) life. It'll be a while before I can retire -- possibly and hopefully by 2012. So save a place for me, will ya? Don't know whether I'll end up in Thailand, which I've visited several times. It will all work out, though, in the end.

Thanks again, especially Macb!

Well, the wife has now finished refurbishing her/our little house. And I am joining her there for 2 weeks starting late next week.

So now we are just going to have a second look and see if there is something more we want to do, or change. But it is ready to move in.

So I guess it's time for another pig to die in Isaan :-)

Anyway, this time I won't have to say goodbye at the airport, as she is joining me here in South Asia for my last month. Then we return in September and I really get to test out village life.

Going to be interesting to find out if all the good neighbours really are that good. So looking forward to join you all in Paradise...at least until they call me back to work some time after the new year :o

righty let me get this straight......

you people wake with sunrise, wander round your vast land then grab a bite to eat. Chill a little and fill the dog bowls with water, then chill a little further til lunch. A light lunch then tuck into a good book on the decking til tea. Couple of hours on the net followed by an early night with your Thai lady...

My question is, will they let me in at the gates? :o

Sounds like heaven

My village gates are guarded by two psycho killer fighting cocks and an oversexed billy goat. Getting past them is high risk. Sure way to get in unnoticed is to acquire a 1975 Datsun (preferably red), throw a couple of watermelons in the back, mount at least 10 loud speakers on it, pump up the volume to 95db and scream into the mic "ma durrr...". Last but not least, this must be done at 5AM sharp to guarantee you will enter the village completely unnoticed.

This is from a true village dweller.......... hilarious!

I came to realise that as long as you sat on your front porch every day from sun-up to sundown, you could buy anything you would ever want from the passing loud speaker pick-ups, without ever going to town.

Happy days.

Well this morning went down to the farm and papa said Gai dead : I spoke to wifes sister she said Gai sick and die: I told the family Mai gin gai : I summoned the wife also 7 chickens dies over night, I sent sister to inform Poo Yai (Village Boss)

The irony is that when the Government came to spray they were going to bury the dead chickens, but village folk had taken them to cook and eat mmmmmmmmmm

Now we have to wait and see if any more die if so it confirms bird Flu

More news soon

Well this morning went down to the farm and papa said Gai dead : I spoke to wifes sister she said Gai sick and die: I told the family Mai gin gai : I summoned the wife also 7 chickens dies over night, I sent sister to inform Poo Yai (Village Boss)

The irony is that when the Government came to spray they were going to bury the dead chickens, but village folk had taken them to cook and eat mmmmmmmmmm

More news soon

Lets hope its only Gai (chickens) and not the village folk that die before bird flu is confirmed. If anymore chickens die buy them at twice the market price if necessary and burn then bury the ashes. Some care needed here as suddenly bird flu or not there will be a queue at your front door each with a basket full of dead chickens.

I find it quite hard to beleive that people will eat these chickens , more so that people will feed them to there kids , i know its done but its totaly irresponsible .

Why?

The H5N1 virus is totally destroyed if the meat is cooked ... it's only contact with the raw meat that will cause the virus to spread. No need to slaughter and bury chickens, just teach them about man's most important discovery...... fire.

It isn't rocket surgery :o

I am still working full time so my time during the week is limited but I plan to do episode 2 of my contribution at the weekend. Just wanted to say that the "bush telgraph" in upcountry Thailand is incredible. By simply sitting on my front verandah and talking to the neighbours and villagers as they wander past I can get a full run down on the activities of every Farang that lives within 20 kms of my house. Yep I know who the drunks are, who are the cheap Charlies, who gets along with their wife/GF and who does not and so on. I guess they also know all about me.

• 3 weeks later...

More news soon

Well just an up-date we didn't seem to have any more fowl play on the farm so not sure what is was : But I stopped eating farm chicken and duck anyway, the chickens are tough meat to eat and I got an allergy after eating a certain type of farm duck, so now I only eat chicken from CPF or the super mkt

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I could be a "NEWBIE" to this discussion, but I would like to thank everyone for giving me the best read I have had in years.

I married a young lady from Lam Plai Mat and it was probably the best move of my life. She took me home and I immediatly fell in love with her family and the "villiage" Actually we have a place just outside of LPM. When we built there was no water, electricity or roads.

She blessed me with 2 beautiful daughters. I hope to live in LPM full time in about 3-5 years. (sounds like a sentence doesn't it?)

Of course, I forgot to mention that more than 30 years has passed since I married that young lady. My girls are now 27 and 25 and I have a year old grandson...

By the way, we also have running water, electricity and a major road by our house now...

I guess I could be a "NEWBIE" to this discussion, but I would like to thank everyone for giving me the best read I have had in years.

I married a young lady from Lam Plai Mat and it was probably the best move of my life. She took me home and I immediatly fell in love with her family and the "villiage" Actually we have a place just outside of LPM. When we built there was no water, electricity or roads.

She blessed me with 2 beautiful daughters. I hope to live in LPM full time in about 3-5 years. (sounds like a sentence doesn't it?)

Of course, I forgot to mention that more than 30 years has passed since I married that young lady. My girls are now 27 and 25 and I have a year old grandson...

By the way, we also have running water, electricity and a major road by our house now...

Would hardly call you a newbie! I too first set foot in Isaan over 30 years ago. Aside from the "modernization" changes such as having electricity, water, roads and scattered shopping mauls, nothing has fundamentally changed. Truely the land that time forgot!

Congrats on the new grandson. Your mission is to spoil him as much as you can then return him to your daughter to unspoil him. :o

Edited by roietjimmy

Cheers mate and you are hardly a newbie after 30 years :o khun jmcet. I also live near Lam Plai Mat - 15 kms out - just off the Nong Ki road. There are 3 other farangs who have built a house in our village but i very seldom see them. They just seem to come for a week at a time now and again. it's a great life. maybe we can catch up next time you are in LPM

Cheers mate and you are hardly a newbie after 30 years :o khun jmcet. I also live near Lam Plai Mat - 15 kms out - just off the Nong Ki road. There are 3 other farangs who have built a house in our village but i very seldom see them. They just seem to come for a week at a time now and again. it's a great life. maybe we can catch up next time you are in LPM

You guys are practically my neighbours. I am in Putthaisong just north of you on the Surin/Buriram border :-)

I am currently at work in another Asian country, but from mid september I'll be more or less full time in the village to get our house in order. Plan to stay 3-6 months job situation permitted.

And I am the newbie, with less than a years experience in Isaan, and that with only a few weeks here and there. :-)

• 1 month later...

Strange Khmer Values

Well let me tell you a little story which my Cousin Ron will realte too as he is involved as well because he is also married into the extended family :

Now my cuz had a new kitchen built on for his lovely wife, he has a suspended ceiling fitted : So after the work is complete my brother in law arrives with his workers to make me an office or is it a room to escape too : Well Ron said I got some frame work over in a box from my suspended ceiling, I replied Well mate I will by it from you then : In the meantime I told the wife she replied No you cant because it belongs to the other side of the family and they will gossip so to speak.

Well I told Ron Sorry mate cant buy because !!!!!!!!! His reply was well it was my money that bought it, he asked his wife she said nothing, in the meantime my wife has asked her Mother, She said No Mac cant do that.

But the families can give things to each other, but myself and Ron who feed them and support them cant give each other something :

Ron does not understand nor do I :

Where is the logic in this, I went fishing at Ron's today he offered me iced water: I joked better not give me anything its wrong.

Strange Khmer Values

Well let me tell you a little story which my Cousin Ron will realte too as he is involved as well because he is also married into the extended family :

Now my cuz had a new kitchen built on for his lovely wife, he has a suspended ceiling fitted : So after the work is complete my brother in law arrives with his workers to make me an office or is it a room to escape too : Well Ron said I got some frame work over in a box from my suspended ceiling, I replied Well mate I will by it from you then : In the meantime I told the wife she replied No you cant because it belongs to the other side of the family and they will gossip so to speak.

Well I told Ron Sorry mate cant buy because !!!!!!!!! His reply was well it was my money that bought it, he asked his wife she said nothing, in the meantime my wife has asked her Mother, She said No Mac cant do that.

But the families can give things to each other, but myself and Ron who feed them and support them cant give each other something :

Where is the logic in this, I went fishing at Ron's today he offered me iced water: I joked better not give me anything its wrong.

Trickle down economy OK. Trickle across no good!!

If you receive something from Ron or vice versa, it indicates the giver is superior to the receiver. Big face loss for the receiving family.

Edited by roietjimmy

Strange Khmer Values

If you receive something from Ron or vice versa, it indicates the giver is superior to the receiver. Big face loss for the receiving family.

But I was going to buy it from him : So mother-in-law can receive things from them and drink there whisky that's okay then, and when grandmother asked me to borrow 2000 bht to go to a funeral from that side of the family that's okay then

Edited by macb

Strange Khmer Values

But I was going to buy it from him : So mother-in-law can receive things from them and drink there whisky that's okay then, and when grandmother asked me to borrow 2000 bht to go to a funeral from that side of the family that's okay then

Mac, I misunderstood. Now that I reread the post it makes no sense to me either. I will however poll the folks in my Roiet village to see what the concensus is. Maybe it really is a Khmer thing. None in my village so might be quite a different story.

Strange Khmer Values

Yeap that is ok as you are already superior being the one that provides for the family.

You could ofcourse exchange gifts with him so both are equal