Do You Live In A Thai Village Full Time

macb

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds boring? I spent 35 years working for a large US corporation, ending up as a senior executive. I worked 25/7 (so it seemed), ruined one marriage, my health and possibly 5 kids. Now I am recovering from life. It will take a long time. I know I won’t go out with a bang, but at least I will have a smile on my face.

Good for you! Glad to see you made it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi: This is a really informative thread. Nice sounding lives you have up there in Isan: sounds just like my cup of tea. The other half is from Khao Wong, up in Kalasin Province, and I am planning on spending a month or two up there, in her family home, just after Christmas.

Could you guys give me any idea of a monthly budget please?

Just looking forward to some quiet R&R: quality time with the family and daughters! First time up there, so any advice would be really appreciated. :o

Edited by Talisman

I want to thank you all for giving me an insight into your lives in the countryside. Enjoyed each and every article. I wish I can also experience country living but alas I am still happily married after 34 years, and now living in Canada.

Btw, how serious is the mosquito problem, and how do you keep them away?)

[

quote name='ya5702' date='2006-09-21 12:41:28' post='905938]

I want to thank you all for giving me an insight into your lives in the countryside. Enjoyed each and every article. I wish I can also experience country living but alas I am still happily married after 34 years, and now living in Canada.

[Hi thanks for you kind comments the original reason for my starting this topic was to see how other guys daily lives differed to mine hence I did not say my piece till I saw some input. I do thank those that added to what turned out to be an interesting post. As for mosquitoes well my house has all mosquitoe screens so all doors open in the day and mossies minimal in house, outside well they are about, but I seem to be immune to them now with only the occassional bite,(or they dont like my meat lol) unless I am lucky I not been troubled with them much since I lived in Thailand, locals a night light fires near the cattle sheds to keep the mossies of the cattle and the government do come round spraying folks houses and surrounding area.]

macb

Edited by macb

but I seem to be immune to them now with only the occassional bite,(or they dont like my meat lol)

Be very careful there Mac.

Mozzies bite everybody, some people have skin that doesn't react, either a natural immunity or one that is built up over time by exposure.

They are biting you and you could still be exposed to malaria or, god forbid, Dengue Fever. As they tend to be 'dusk and dawn' our doors stay closed in those hours and I stay inside the house. :o

but I seem to be immune to them now with only the occassional bite,(or they dont like my meat lol)

Be very careful there Mac.

Mozzies bite everybody, some people have skin that doesn't react, either a natural immunity or one that is built up over time by exposure.

They are biting you and you could still be exposed to malaria or, god forbid, Dengue Fever. As they tend to be 'dusk and dawn' our doors stay closed in those hours and I stay inside the house. :D

I live away from the village, quite isolated. Although the village has many mosquitos, I get very few - I suppose because there are not enough people around for a good snack. Thaddeus, you are right, malaria and dengue could still be a risk to mac - but only if there are infected people nearby.

I like to sit outside in the evening, and we get some mosquitos if no wind and just before or after rain. I also have a place in Singapore, and there I get many more bites; Singapore is a risk area for dengue and malaria too :o

[
quote name='ya5702' date='2006-09-21 12:41:28' post='905938]

[Hi thanks for you kind comments the original reason for my starting this topic was to see how other guys daily lives differed to mine hence I did not say my piece till I saw some input. I do thank those that added to what turned out to be an interesting post. As for mosquitoes well my house has all mosquitoe screens so all doors open in the day and mossies minimal in house, outside well they are about, but I seem to be immune to them now with only the occassional bite,(or they dont like my meat lol) unless I am lucky I not been troubled with them much since I lived in Thailand, locals a night light fires near the cattle sheds to keep the mossies of the cattle and the government do come round spraying folks houses and surrounding area.]

macb

Which reminds me of a saying: He who said "do not be bothered by small problems" has not spent a night with a mossie"!

Thaddeus, you are right, malaria and dengue could still be a risk to mac - but only if there are infected people nearby.

Indeed.

My wife's dad has malaria, and two student teachers came down with dengue fever last year (they are the cases I know to be true, I'm sure there are many more) that's why I stay inside at the times when the little blighters are around.

I know that Mac lives some distance from me, but it wouldn't surprise me if his situation was not dissimilar to mine.

Hi Guys

Usually mosquitos like me :D

So during the rainy season I put on mosquito repellent in the morning before going outside, and once again in the evening, if staying out after dark.

It does'nt matter where I am in this part of the world.

My house have mosquito screens on all windows and doors, so inside the house is no ploblem! :D

Better safe than sorry. :o

:D

Hi Guys

Usually mosquitos like me :D

So during the rainy season I put on mosquito repellent in the morning before going outside, and once again in the evening, if staying out after dark.

It does'nt matter where I am in this part of the world.

My house have mosquito screens on all windows and doors, so inside the house is no ploblem! :D

Better safe than sorry. :o

Hi Guys

When in Thailand I tend to rise early, remove still warm bread from bread making machine cut a couple of thick slices and coat liberally with marmite.

I then don my silk dressing gown and panama hat (have reputation to maintain as tame, harmless, crazy local farang) and stroll around garden eating marmite bread.

This has many benefits (1) entertains locals (2) fends off mossies! apparently they do not like yeast and the marmite smell that exudes from our skin after eating. (Imperceptible to humans) (3) enables me to feed fish and size up potential victim for lunch. (4) check on any work that needs doing in garden.

I then retire back to the house making several random, irrational gestures to nothing in particular for the benefit of any locals still bored enough to be hanging around. :D

Now for a cup of coffee or fresh squeezed orange juice whilst I plan my foray to the newagent for the Bangkok post! :D

God, I do love Thailand

TBWG :D

Hi guys:

Thanks for your caring comments about the mossies, maybe my remark yesterday about the little mossies was a bit loosely stated, I am aware of them I got tins of mosie zapper and electric zapper, and the mossie screens are kept shut, at night the house is closed down when it is dark,my wife is alsso aware of them and does her zapping bit.

Well I will see those that are going at the dam tomorrow and look forward to meeting you guys from the forum that may be attending. I may be bringing cnxpat and his wife if they want to come, my mate could not get up from phuket flights all booked.

macb

If you see this guy ignore him, oh no thats me ha ha well form your own opinion.

post-32485-1158980716_thumb.jpg

macb

it looks like that italian game bocelli or something that sounds like that, all the italian fogeys would play that in my sister's little italy neighbhorhood in boston... thats what anon says, its from france or italy (he says) (he's korat)

it looks like that italian game bocelli or something that sounds like that, all the italian fogeys would play that in my sister's little italy neighbhorhood in boston... thats what anon says, its from france or italy (he says) (he's korat)

It is played widely if France, the name there is Boule. It is even played in Derby in the UK, mind you, parts of Derby do resemble Isaan in some respects (just keeping it on a Thai track.... nothing personal Derby.... great Thai restaurant there btw)

It is played widely if France, the name there is Boule. It is even played in Derby in the UK, mind you, parts of Derby do resemble Isaan in some respects (just keeping it on a Thai track.... nothing personal Derby.... great Thai restaurant there btw)

It would actually be jeux des boules or petanque. to me the same though serious people would say the latter is for the ones that play it as sport (believe they have even world championships in it)

I lived in a village in NST called Chian Yai. Horrible place, awful people. They'd walk up and laugh in your face and talk about you without even waiting for you to get out of earshot. Funerals every week, no lie. At times there were more than one a week, loud drunken pagan rituals all through the night. Murders, drivebys, street dogs had controll, there were thousands of them barking all night long. There were 40 policemen stationed there but they never did anything. One day there was a driveby near my house and my neighbor was there, he's a cop. A 20-year-old boy was shot five times. He said there'd be no investigation, I asked why, and he said the dead guy was a trouble maker. And here's the killer .. the population was 1600. Now when two people a week die in a town of 1600 ya just have ta wonder.

Edited by 1900

It would actually be jeux des boules or petanque. to me the same though serious people would say the latter is for the ones that play it as sport (believe they have even world championships in it)

The police in Namkhun District, Ubon Ratchathani Province, have made their own place just outside the police station, and play (and gamble :o ) every morning. :D

I am going to have a traditional English/Thai sunday lunch of either yesterdays left over liver, bacon, onions and potatoes or the real sunday lunch of sausage, bacon egg and fried bread. After that I am off to a friends noodle stall to meet my family and scoff a couple of bottles of Leo beer and 7up, then the (also) traditional sunday afternoon siesta.

:o:D:D

I haven't seen it in Isaan, but it is in every village in Laos, and still called boules there. Obviously introduced by the French during their time....

First thanks to you guys so far for your very interesting input I want to praise you for intrigrating with the family:

OK , since this turned out to be a nice thread I decided to ad my story.

I posted this separately , but it belongs here as well.

It happened to us in the village a few days ago, the last occurrence; night before last. (Someone else’s house)

Please read it & keep your eyes open and don’t let it spoil your fun.

Has anyone heard of a series burglaries targeting foreigner’s houses first appearing in the La Han Sai area and moving up through Buriram province?

It has happened in our village twice in a row with the thieves striking around two-three AM , grabbing all valuables, including jewelry cell phones ETC, no large items.

The have entered bedrooms with people sleeping inside, grabbed what they could and vanished.

They have scouts driving a dark cream/tan sedan with BKK license plates (may be stolen) looking for targets during the day.

The actual thieves hide out in the target’s vicinity and wait for the people to go to sleep..

Our police here seems totally hapless and unwilling or unable to do anything about it.

The thieves are totally oblivious to them

Please be aware of any suspicious individuals eyeing your house and do not keep any valuables in sight.

Barking dogs are not much of the threat, they poisoned one of the more aggressive dogs

If you need more details you can PM me

• 2 weeks later...
It would actually be jeux des boules

Thanks Erik ..... I forgot, when I was young we were quite poor and we could only afford one ball, made the game much faster though :o

I feel for you Thadd only one ball, but you know what they say 1 is essential and 2 is a luxury :D:D:D

Oh Sorry read it wrong :D

macb

Edited by macb

I feel for you Thadd only one ball, but you know what they say 1 is essential and 2 is a luxury

Oh Sorry read it wrong

macb

Completely wrong on that score Mac..... in that department, I have three, true, I had to be 'medically checked out' when I was younger to make sure it wasn't a tumor ..... it isn't.... I just carry a spare :o:D