BANGKOK 25 March 2019 08:11
Sign in to follow this  
macb

Do You Live In A Thai Village Full Time

Soidog - Your family situation is similar to mine. I have 4-yr old daughter who will start school next year, doesn't speak much thai yet (we still live in US). Want to move to Surin area where my wife's grandma lives, but probably will be looking to buy or build home there. I plan to work (maybe teach english?) but not sure how that will work yet. I know this is off topic of original thread, but saw you were logged in and wanted to ask: what do you estimate will be a decent living allowance if already own home in rural area close to surin, no rent,etc. I have estimated 10000 to 15000 per month from reading other threads. Just trying to plan financially for the move.

Jason (wanttoescape)

Sorry, totally screwed up the end of my previous post. From reading other threads, I have estimated monthy living cost as 20000 to 25000 baht. Is this a reasonable estimate? No rent, no private school tuition, no car payments.

yes, I got scared from the precious post, but 20K as far as living costs is concerced is a good estimate. A generous estimate as well, but a good one!

hope this helps, from the boonies

cnxpat

Once again guys some wonderful input here thak you very much lets hope it keeps going.

Well there are to many of you to name personally but lots of thank, some of you I am in contact with by email but have never actually met yet, my house has a very warm welcome to any of you that would like to visit.

My day today started at 5-45 am Bee was up cooking for the temple as its a Buddha day I showered my German Shepherd. Wondered around the garden had my morning coffee and then washed the mosquito screens now on here at 0810 .

macb

yes, I got scared from the precious post, but 20K as far as living costs is concerced is a good estimate. A generous estimate as well, but a good one!

I get scared when people ask if 800k a year is enough :o

I'm so glad I don't live anywhere near Bangkok or any one of the multitude of tourist traps.

20k a month is more than adequate.

And in response to a post from several days ago which has now probably been buried under the mire, we can clean the floors too for that sum.

Hallo everybody,

I only want to tell you that I enjoy every post.

It's not my style of life but that's not the point.

Good luck to all of you :o

I go along with thads comments.

you can even live comfortably on the than that if you need to.

PM me for more of a breakdown if you wish.

macb

Soidog - Your family situation is similar to mine. I have 4-yr old daughter who will start school next year, doesn't speak much thai yet (we still live in US). Want to move to Surin area where my wife's grandma lives, but probably will be looking to buy or build home there. I plan to work (maybe teach english?) but not sure how that will work yet. I know this is off topic of original thread, but saw you were logged in and wanted to ask: what do you estimate will be a decent living allowance if already own home in rural area close to surin, no rent,etc. I have estimated 10000 to 15000 per month from reading other threads. Just trying to plan financially for the move.

Jason (wanttoescape)

Hopefully you will have a steady income that you can rely upon.

B 10.000 to B 15.000 monthly is kind of a bare bones budget.

We run the A/C every night, with an American style Kitchen (Big Viking Stove) and a 60” refrigerator/freezer too many computers to mention ETC the electric bill is approaching B 6000. The next big variable is driving. You’ll need a car, insurance & more.

To make a long story short, if you want to live “Thai style” you’ll get by.

To put in some western touches more like double.

PS daughter born in Manhattan, it was a struggle to keep her bilingual, doing OK now.

To make a long story short, if you want to live “Thai style” you’ll get by.

Hit the nail on the head. :o

You can live here on 10-15K a month. But it would pretty much be a no frills existence (not much beer either)

If you want to maintain some farangness, as soidog just said, double it. 20K gets you a good lifestyle in the boonies (and a lot more beer :D )

P.S. My electricity bill averages out at around 1,000 Baht a month. Mainly because we don't use the aircon all the time, and I insist that On and our daughter carry on just using the cold water scoop in the hong nam. :D

Edited by Thaddeus

Papa would rejoice in the fact and would tell anyone one who asked "It's my car, and I had my chauffeur shipped over from England

Excellent :o

And thanks from me guys also, for starting this topic, a right good read.

As for me, we are still in the UK and we (or rather she) have about 15 or so Rai now, in a village just outside of Chaiya Phuum. A bit of a fish farm and loads of mango and man sam palang etc. Mrs BoJ wants to build an house there, which is fine but i don't really want to settle full time there, when i eventually go to live there full time.

I'm a "towny" and i think i always will be to be honest, i get a bit lonely for farang conversation when staying in the village. I'd like to know if any of you live a sort of "double" life. By that i mean, you have a property (or rent) in one of the resort area's and then just pop upto the village from time to time. If so, how does it work for you? Any up sides or downsides etc. :D

Papa would rejoice in the fact and would tell anyone one who asked "It's my car, and I had my chauffeur shipped over from England

Excellent :o

And thanks from me guys also, for starting this topic, a right good read.

As for me, we are still in the UK and we (or rather she) have about 15 or so Rai now, in a village just outside of Chaiya Phuum. A bit of a fish farm and loads of mango and man sam palang etc. Mrs BoJ wants to build an house there, which is fine but i don't really want to settle full time there, when i eventually go to live there full time.

I'm a "towny" and i think i always will be to be honest, i get a bit lonely for farang conversation when staying in the village. I'd like to know if any of you live a sort of "double" life. By that i mean, you have a property (or rent) in one of the resort area's and then just pop upto the village from time to time. If so, how does it work for you? Any up sides or downsides etc. :D

My Lady has property outside of Cha Am, the opposite side of Hua Hin.

That makes it a 30+minute drive to 'the big city' but all essentials available close by.

I like this since I want my home life quiet, but also like to get to a city for entertainment, variety of food, shopping, etc.

I like this since I want my home life quiet, but also like to get to a city for entertainment, variety of food, shopping, etc.

Very good point.

And this is the thing that you have to bear in mind MrBoJ (BTW, I'm really glad that you left the 'o' in there, especially for MrsBoJ :D )

I'm a townie too, I doubt that I could ever live in a city, I spent enough time working in them to make me realise that.

Now I have entered a new chapter in my life, and I want my home life quiet but retain the ability to get to a little 'noise' or other comforts if I feel the need. One of the few things that I am stuck on is, Monday night and Friday night are in Bar Loong Dang for a real natter in English, and Sunday night is round at Steve's house for a few games of 9 Ball Pool, both venues are only a 15 minute drive away.

If I feel the need to party-it-up more than that, that is also not a problem, I have made quite a few journeys to other cities to meet up with friends and family from the UK, but it is oh so nice to get home where the buffalo outnumber the motorcy's.

Nobody can say this is the right way to go, it just suits me. Being with my family is the most important thing right now and being where they feel the most comfortable makes life a hel_l of a lot easier, luckily, I like it here. :o

Edited by Thaddeus

Great to hear everyone's story on living in isaan. I do not get to spend as much time as i would like in Ubon Ratchathani with family. Just a couple of times a year if i'm luck with work but when i'm there it is really relaxing and it does not seem difficult to find like minded farang friends. In fact i found more friends in a short space of time in Ubon than I did in years here in UK. I would love to retire in isaan and find it cheap living when i'm there with family.

Jay

I live in the north of Central provinve about 60 km southwest of Khampaeng Phet about 6 km from the "proper" village.

My day begins when I get up between 6 and 7 in the morning, open the shutters and doors, clear the dinner dishes from the big house table and take them up to the Thai style kitchen at the small house and then feed the 3 dogs. We used to have about 15 but the attrition rate is high and it is survival of the fittest.

Then I wander over to the fish pond for a look at the fish, then back to the main house for a shave etc.

A morning mug of Earl Grey tea goes down well with internet, TV, emails and sometimes I hear my 2 year old son playing upstairs while his Mum tries to sleep a bit longer. Either they will come down or the guy that works for us will come and get him. If he doesn't then I will have breakfast shared with my son while he watches Uu ta hatee (spelling) or Chang in English which is favourite movie while my wife has her first breakfast, a Marlboro lite and coffee (she gets crabby without it and snarls a bit).

After that our workers wife, son or daughter clean the house while I catch up on odd jobs or go to the village for some shopping. My wife generally goes to the market on Monday, Wednesday or Saturday for fresh fruit and veg while I go to the village with our son to get local stuff using my fractured Thai and the locals using fractured English. Somewhere in that time I usually give my son a bath or a "grown up" shower.

Lunch is either sandwiches if my wife doesn't do something or sometimes we go to a friends noodle shop for fried noodles and a bia Leo with 7up. The afternoons are lazy because it is very hot up here around 36 unless it is raining when it is cooler but I run around closing the shutters to keep the ran out. Our son generally sleeps for a couple of hours in the afternoon and I keep an eye on him whilst surfing the net and playing computer games.

I feed the dogs then shower around 5:30 to 6 then we have a whiskey and soda or two before and during dinner which is usually Thai but not too hot for me and the brat. Our son gets bathed or showered again and we play with him for a while but he now likes to watch a programme on ITV with ghosts etc.

My wife and son usually go up to bed around 8:30 while i surf a bit more and go up around 10 to 10:30 and read for a while before sleep.

Our friend from Denmark is here for about a month and lives on the next plot but one and other than him I probably may not see another farang unless there is any in the village for weeks at a time.

Sometimes we go to a friends place 15km away for food and draught Leo or to our Danish wifes restaurant and Karaoke or next door to the resort but not so often.

Occasionally I will get an offshore job for 3 to 6 months and then "rest" for a while.

We have 15 rai where the house is and grow bananas, pineapple, squash, papaya, chillies, man and a few other things I have no idea what they are called plus the fish. The other 11 rai is planted with man (taro, tapioca ?).

My wife is thinking of planting trees after we harvest the man this year but it will be a long term project for our sons future.

Would I live in a city again? Not a chance unless I was working and got paid for it.

I love Thailand and especially here at home.

Edited by billd766

I lived in a small village just outside of Buriram town for more than a year at one stretch and enjoyed every moment of it. Then unfortunately I had to go and get a job again for a year. And now it looks like I'll be back in Buriram again for a while at the end of this month. A good description of my lifestyle can be found on My BLOG. Print it all out and take it on your next bog visit (unless you have to squat). :o

Nice threads and additions to this topic guys, well done and thanks again

macb

I lived in a small village just outside of Buriram town for more than a year at one stretch and enjoyed every moment of it. Then unfortunately I had to go and get a job again for a year. And now it looks like I'll be back in Buriram again for a while at the end of this month. A good description of my lifestyle can be found on My BLOG. Print it all out and take it on your next bog visit (unless you have to squat). :o

Hi Lourens.

I thought you'd been a bit quiet of late, good to see you posting again. :D