BANGKOK 27 May 2019 18:01
Sign in to follow this  
macb

Do You Live In A Thai Village Full Time

The following night we had one of those tropical thunderstorms come through around 0300.

I was awakened when a flash of lightening and the clap of thunder occurred nearly simultaneously, which means it is very, very close. At the same time there was an electrical popping noise, sort of when a breaker switch gets tripped.

Get those all the time as of late and the other day had the same thing. KAAPOW!.. I could hear the air crackling right after, kinda like a sizzle.. could smell it too..

Got my ass of the porch and went back inside and hid under the bed making sure my JD didn't spill and put my hands over my eyes.

It was freaky.

I know several here in town who grew up on rice farms near the villages ... and the only way they want to see a chicken again is after it is Kentucky-fried.

These Isaan village families get so intermingled that -- if that's how the family wanted it -- the young girl next door could be a Farang's step-daughter and he wouldn't even know it.

Edited by jazzbo

I haven't read all 22 pages of this thread, but one thing keeps occuring to me: Why would anyone want to live like a Thai peasant?

Don't get me wrong, heyseeds can be nice people, but living without meaningful culture -- no access to the arts, concerts, performances, exhibitions, theater, cinema, bookstores, fine dining, clubs of like-minded people, et al -- seems to be a dire regression in the quality of life.

I am not sure how many people in the West would say, "Yes, when I retire I want to live in basic conditions with no intellectual stimulation and feed pigs/watch rice grow/house countless relatives on my nickel, and so on. Oh, and since I can't really speak Thai, I have no idea what anyone is talking about unless my wife chooses to tell me, but even that's iffy since her English language skills are at about the level of a three-year-old English speaker."

Almost everywhere I look, I find educated gentlemen from the West dumbing themselves down to the point where they are a pathetic parody of themselves. What could possibly be the key motivation for this?

Of course I respect the right of the individual to conduct his last years, or his mature years, in any fashion he desires. But the motivation escapes me here. It would be like someone wanting to live in quasi-poverty among the uneducated (or under-educated) and the intellectually incurious....where a "big event" is going to "the city" to shop at Tesco? I mean that's just sad.

And by the way, how many Western women come to Thailand to retire in a backwoods village? What does this tell you about the situation?

I haven't read all 22 pages of this thread, but one thing keeps occuring to me: Why would anyone want to live like a Thai peasant?

Don't get me wrong, heyseeds can be nice people, but living without meaningful culture -- no access to the arts, concerts, performances, exhibitions, theater, cinema, bookstores, fine dining, clubs of like-minded people, et al -- seems to be a dire regression in the quality of life.

I am not sure how many people in the West would say, "Yes, when I retire I want to live in basic conditions with no intellectual stimulation and feed pigs/watch rice grow/house countless relatives on my nickel, and so on. Oh, and since I can't really speak Thai, I have no idea what anyone is talking about unless my wife chooses to tell me, but even that's iffy since her English language skills are at about the level of a three-year-old English speaker."

Almost everywhere I look, I find educated gentlemen from the West dumbing themselves down to the point where they are a pathetic parody of themselves. What could possibly be the key motivation for this?

Of course I respect the right of the individual to conduct his last years, or his mature years, in any fashion he desires. But the motivation escapes me here. It would be like someone wanting to live in quasi-poverty among the uneducated (or under-educated) and the intellectually incurious....where a "big event" is going to "the city" to shop at Tesco? I mean that's just sad.

And by the way, how many Western women come to Thailand to retire in a backwoods village? What does this tell you about the situation?

It must have taken you ages to find this post and only to make derogatory comments.

So people in the Thai villages are peasants, are they? This in turn makes them undesireable to live with, does it?

I assume the bit about living without culture was a slip of the keyboard. Most of the Thai villagers have culture older than you could imagine.

Living in a Thai village enables one to learn new things everyday. How to understand how nature works, how the family unit really should be. How not to look down on people just because of what they do. To get by day by day with no worries. It also enables you to watch kids respecting eachother and their elders.

Many people, myself included, have the patience, respect for local people and the intelligence to learn to communicate in the local language. Maybe that is beyond you.

I could always ask my wife to explain. Her English is good but admittedly not perfect. Then again it is her 4th language.

Two things someone like you should learn:

1) If there were no such people as the Thai villagers then this country would have nothing. These "peasants" feed the nation. Without them Thailand would have next to no economy and a huge trade deficit.

2) A happy life is not about having everything. It is about making the most of what you have.

Perhaps you should try village life sometime.

Just don't choose my village thank you. I wouldn't want my "peasant" friends to have to stoop so low as to talk to you.

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 1

It must have taken you ages to find this post and only to make derogatory comments.

So people in the Thai villages are peasants, are they? This in turn makes them undesireable to live with, does it?

I assume the bit about living without culture was a slip of the keyboard. Most of the Thai villagers have culture older than you could imagine.

Living in a Thai village enables one to learn new things everyday. How to understand how nature works, how the family unit really should be. How not to look down on people just because of what they do. To get by day by day with no worries. It also enables you to watch kids respecting eachother and their elders.

Many people, myself included, have the patience, respect for local people and the intelligence to learn to communicate in the local language. Maybe that is beyond you.

I could always ask my wife to explain. Her English is good but admittedly not perfect. Then again it is her 4th language.

Two things someone like you should learn:

1) If there were no such people as the Thai villagers then this country would have nothing. These "peasants" feed the nation. Without them Thailand would have next to no economy and a huge trade deficit.

2) A happy life is not about having everything. It is about making the most of what you have.

Perhaps you should try village life sometime.

Just don't choose my village thank you. I wouldn't want my "peasant" friends to have to stoop so low as to talk to you.

Boy Oh Boy how right you are. It is our choice to live here amongst people who are generally caring' friendly, considerate all the good things in people that seem to be lacking in more urbanised environments. Any time I want to I can go to the city, indulge myself in the so called Arts, engage with my so called 'equals' etc. Every minute I live here I learn something new from these 'peasants' as you call them. Believe you me these people could teach you a thing or two. They may not be materialist wealthy, and may not have a great education but give me them any day to the so called hi-so's you probably mix with.

<deleted> me, it's Brian Sewell.

Let me see, when was the last time I went to the arts, never I guess, I went to a Cliff Richard concert back in 1996, performances, exhibitions, theatre all a long time ago or never and guess what, I never missed them before and I don't now.

Bookstores and libraries definitely but whenever I go to the "big city" I usually stock up on books.

Fine dining is OK but I can get that when I up in the big city again.

Clubs of like minded people. When I was working in Thailand from 1994 to 1997 my managers were members of the British club, the Rugby club and the FCCT. All clubs usually used by foreigners in a foreign country where they all sit around and talk about how much superior they and their country are compared to the one they are in now.

Strangely enough the quality of life you have is the one you are comfortable in which in your case seems to be lacking a lot of the "finer" elements normally found in the west.

In my 66 years on this earth I have lived and worked in 38 countries ranging from inside the Arctic circle in Norway (try whale meat and blubber for fine dining) to the bottom of the North Island of New Zealand. A lot of Europe, USA, South America, the Arab Gulf countries, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Papua New Guinea, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and a few more. All of them different and unique in their own ways and probably OK to live in but not for me.

After 25 years in the military and 22 years of building mobile phone networks across the world I find most cities to dirty, overcrowded, polluted and too much traffic for me as where I live I am nearly 100 metres from my neighbour, live on 2 1/2 acres of land, get all the fresh unpolluted air that I need, there is not much traffic.

The children wave and smile and over 90% of the people up here whilst not educated to degree level are reasonably happy, don't require a lot and some can even speak English.

My wife for one, half a dozen of her friends can too and I try to improve my miserable Thai skills as well.

Also out in the country Thai people care for their families more than city folks and as for getting old in the west and living with your children and their family, forget, it's off to the rest home for you.

If you think that going to shop at Tesco's is sad then I truly feel sorry for you.

I do most of my shopping and the 2 weekly markets and virtually all of our food is fresh and freshly cooked too as my wife is a good cook and has worked in and also owned a restaurant.

I have no idea how many western women have married Thais and live out in the country as I do but you could always pose the question on the ladies forum should you wish.

Where do you get the idea that people like me and many others, married to Thais live in quasi poverty among the uneducated and intellectually incurious? There are quite a few Thais in the village far richer than I am and probably richer that you too.

Since the advent of the internet if I have a need to know something I can go online and search for it.

I feel my quality of life went up when I came to live in Thailand and up once again when we quit living in Bangkok and moved out into the country.

Imagine having to try to keep up with the Jones's for all of your life.

Not for me I am afraid.

I like living the good life too much.

Almost everywhere I look, I find educated gentlemen from the West dumbing themselves down to the point where they are a pathetic parody of themselves.

try to avoid mirrors! :whistling: i always thought i belong to the league "most arrogant àssholes" but you beat anyone of our club by many lengths. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Perhaps I am a heyseed (sic) myself, but I found my quality of life improved after I stopped attending Embassy functions, parties with "like minded" people and elitists such as yourself.

I am fat, dumb and happy right where I am. Probably because you aren't around to spoil my days with meaningless drivel.

PS: Naam, I am getting worried. This is twice today I find myself in agreement with you. B)

Come on guys, I got a chuckle out of what TR had to say. You have got to admit there is more than a grain of truth in it, even if a bit harsh.

After more than 30 years in the heart of Bangkok, I move to a small village more than 50k from Chiang Rai but I have often wondered about those who choose to emulate those on the lowest rung of the social ladder, in a highly class structured society. Needless to say, we do not live like peasants.

If that is the only lifestyle your budget can accommodate, fine, but that hardly justifies statements about village people being somehow better, more cultured people.

For TR’s enlightenment, many of us live here because we prefer an active lifestyle and like outdoor activities that are more accessible upcountry. After living in the city for so many years, I longed for pets, hiking, mountain biking, motorbike riding, nature photography and unimpeded views. Many of my friends enjoy golf, fishing, kayaking and various other hobbies right on their doorstep.

We enjoy getting together for coffee or entertaining at each other’s homes. Some enjoy the Hash, book club, expat club and there is always some festival going on. I happen to enjoy writing my blog.

Stereotypes, though sometimes helpful, are often quite limiting and inhibit ones ability to go deeper or see various sides of an issue. All of you make valid points but none of you hold the exclusive rights to being ‘correct’.

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

Enjoyable read. Appreciate all the stories. I plan to live in the Nakhon Phanom area and was a little apprehensive about whether or not 55 - 60K a month would provide a nice lifestyle for me, wife and daughter. Want a nice blend of Thai/Western living. Sounds like it would be sufficient.

I like living in a village because I don't feel the need to mix with pompous "superior" class orientated farang <deleted>.....having said that, I know a lot of farangs in the area who are just like me....life in the slow lane....you can't beat it...

Edited by mxyzptlk

<br />Enjoyable read.  Appreciate all the stories.  I plan to live in the Nakhon Phanom area and was a little apprehensive about whether or not 55 - 60K a month would provide a nice lifestyle for me, wife and daughter.  Want a nice blend of Thai/Western living.  Sounds like it would be sufficient.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You won't be sorry.....just do it....

Boy Oh Boy how right you are. It is our choice to live here amongst people who are generally caring' friendly, considerate all the good things in people that seem to be lacking in more urbanised environments. Any time I want to I can go to the city, indulge myself in the so called Arts, engage with my so called 'equals' etc. Every minute I live here I learn something new from these 'peasants' as you call them. Believe you me these people could teach you a thing or two. They may not be materialist wealthy, and may not have a great education but give me them any day to the so called hi-so's you probably mix with.<

Well said....

Edited by bina
removed all but the final quote in the nest....