BANGKOK 21 April 2019 15:08
Sign in to follow this  
macb

Do You Live In A Thai Village Full Time

I have been in this village full time since January but spent most of last year here reconstructing the house.

It is an hour to the nearest 7-11, an hour and a half to first real city. Much of that is back to back hairpin corners, a bikers paradise. We have pavement right up to the house, plenty of land, a stream and a river on our land, so we are never out of water. I get to do whatever I want, but mostly I am still renovating. I have two staff that help with all the kids and the farm stuff and My wife keeps everyone busy including herself. There is none of the silly ghost nonsense so we don't build or do anything special to accommodate spooks. No one in the family is an animist/Buddhist. We have a minimum of 10 people sleeping in our house every night and sometimes more than 20. But I have a man cave on the second floor which is my refuge when things get too... (insert whatever adjective you like). Also my bedroom is quite cozy. The Internet is really slow, but it seems to be improving.

I wake up with a big mental list of things to do, and I accomplish a bit of that list every day.

I am researching and testing various agricultural projects, and on the way I taught myself welding, concrete work, tiling, and did my own wiring with no previous experience.

So, it's fun for me.

I am four months into my retirement in my wife's village not far from Nong Bua Lamphu. I am one of those crazy falang's who live pretty close to the khon Thai lifestyle and am writing about living in the village at: http://the-isaan.blogspot.com

I have been living now 14 months in Sakon Nakhon province in a local Thai village and my general experience is very positive.

Edited by MobileContent

Hell if everyone keeps talking up the rural Issan life style the place will start to get western refugees. I was the first farang here 10 years ago and am still the only farang, wouldn't mind 1 or 2 good lads in the area, but too many whites will bring down the neighborhood. Jim.

• Like 2

Hell if everyone keeps talking up the rural Issan life style the place will start to get western refugees. I was the first farang here 10 years ago and am still the only farang, wouldn't mind 1 or 2 good lads in the area, but too many whites will bring down the neighborhood. Jim.

Sound like me, Jim..wink.png

I'm easily, the only Farang within a broad region.

The fewer the better.

The fewer the better.

YES YES and YESthumbsup.gif but hear they come.biggrin.png

I live in Khampaeng Phet province on the other side of the country.

For me it was 9 years ago and we live in a moo ban 6 km from the big village.

Now there is a Dutch guy next door I have known for a while before he moved here, my Danish mate is next door again but only once or twice a year, an Aussie up the road but he works offshore, a Swiss/French guy about 3 km away who is here more often than not, a French guy close to the big village, an Austrian lives up by the waterfall.

I speak to my neighbour most days but we don't live in each others pockets as it were and the rest I see now and again.

In my village ( Ban Mai Rimool ) we have 4:30 am roosters and 5:30am roosters..but I may wake up earlier than that to the sound of my mother inlaw and sisters inlaws washing pots and pans in the dark....wonder how they know they are clean???lol

My wife washes clothes in a tub, by hand each day, cleans the floors and cleans up the muddy mess left by all the village dogs on our large covered tile porch daily. Other than that, cooking, careing for our 4 year old daughter. Sometimes helps with the farm work..rice & tapoica...in the heat of the day...naps are pretty common...reminds me of the siestas in Mexico....lol

I'm south of Sakon Nakhon. I work off shore so am not there full time. To live there full time I'd have to figure out what to do to stay busy. I'm thinking alot of trips to the beach. Still have 2 young dogs left for sale - 200 baht each. They'll be gone soon. Cheers...............

+1 Jim...think there are a couple of Germans , Swiss or Swedes who have houses and Wife or GF here but never seen 'em..think they live offshore....I remember there was a Thai/Farang wedding a couple of years back about 2k away..know the house ..the only aircon within ks methinks.coffee1.gif

I've spent a few days reading all of the replies, what a fab thread. It's made me smile, you all seem to be enjoying life in your villages. I'm hoping to make the big move to Thailand in the next 1/2 years, I will definitely be taking some trips to check out the villages. Keep posting, I love reading all of the stories.

The fewer the better.

I somehow think that you living far away from other Falangs will suit all parties, Jeff biggrin.png

We have actually an Irish, Dutch, another German, a French, a US, a Swiss plus a Japanese but they only visit the village for the Songkran holidays.

Some of their wife's are playing already with local guys and the foreigners just keeps sending money. Go figure...

One of the not so good things of living in rural Issan. Sitting as I often do watching the kids play in the street with the other village kids, supping a few cold ones. Sun sets and everyone moves inside, if you can call it that as it is open area. Loads of yelling is heard between FIL and BIL, try and keep out of such things, but it really gets heated. So put beer down and go have a look. Kids are sitting eating in front of the TV seemingly undisturbed by the yelling etc. FIL walks in to room and grabs a gun, time to intervene. Luckily other BIL grabs the gun, more yelling then everyone except for BIL that had the gun pointed at him sit down and start eating as if nothing had happened,

This happens every so often, first time FIL was a bit ashamed of his sons behavior, wife explained that in my family all my brothers were boxers and when a family dispute happened hospital and sowing were normal. It makes for an interesting life. Jim

I live in SaKaeo and the village is situated between Khao Chakan and Wang Nam Yen we are just 1km from the village we have a fantastic view of 2 mountains, but unfortunatly as I have just found out also an easy target for thiefs for the time being until I get that sorted which will be very soon.

I love life up country opposed to living in the City, I tend to get up about 6am go train in my gym right next to my house (if I not drink to much night before) while the Mrs sorts out her Pa's food for today he is 85 year old and stays with us. By 9am we are both eating breakfast and either going out for supplies (Beer) or if nothing much going on just relax or I tend to go for a ride on my bike around SaKaeo. By 5pm I have watered the garden and sit outside having a beer then some food and normally in bed by 8pm although not sleeping just watching TV normally dose off around 10pm and wake up 6am next morning.