Large taxis protest? Passengers welcome it!

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- A Facebook community page for taxi drivers has further drawn ire from Bangkok passengers when it posted that drivers of large-sized taxis at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport has protested against what they saw as unfair fare rate for them.

Instead of winning support for the protest, the post instead drew criticisms. Many people posted comments, saying the unhappy taxi drivers should quit their career and leave the Suvarnabhumi for good.

The Voice of Taxis page on Monday posted picture of empty car park ground for taxis. It said drivers of large mini-van types taxis all decided to protest for a day so that passengers with a lot of belongings may try using two small-size taxis instead of one large-sized taxi that wants to collect a flat rate.

It stated that the passengers thought they were taken advantage of by large taxi drivers so they should try packing all their bags into a small taxi.

The protest followed the airport’s ban against two drivers of mini-van taxis who collected a flat rate fare on a group of Japanese tourists instead of using meter. The airport took the action after a Bangkok resident Japanese man posted on his Facebook, complaining against the two taxi drivers.

A Faceobook user who uses the name of Nate Aquarius said: “Congratulation for the protest. Passengers always have options and they don’t have to depend on childish taxi drivers”.

Thanet Kanthasob said he totally agreed with the protest because passengers can pay Bt800 for an Airport limousine to get a much better service than that from mini-van taxis, which charge nearly the same rate with the limousine.

Thanarat Sodsup posted that small-sized taxis, whose drivers are unhappy with the use of meters, should also stop taking up passengers at the airport.

• Like 1

I have no problem paying a little more for a bigger taxi if I have a lot of luggage. However, I will not let them screw me, to charge 600 to 700 baht. That is BS.

But you have no problem paying the airline an extra 5 or 6 hundred dollars to carry your bags.

Sometimes best to think before opening.

I have no problem paying a little more for a bigger taxi if I have a lot of luggage. However, I will not let them screw me, to charge 600 to 700 baht. That is BS.

But you have no problem paying the airline an extra 5 or 6 hundred dollars to carry your bags.

You should take your own advice.

• Like 2

My last "large" taxi driver went by the meter......

BUT the meter was rigged to add 60% mileage if you used the expressway markers to check !

He said it was the "new rules" but a regular 29km ride turned into a 39km fare......ummmmm

1st time I had that problem and he got the real 29km rate......

There are rogue Taxi Drivers all over the world including London.

But also many brilliant guys in BKK who work extremely long hours to make a crust.

The Basic start fare of 35 Baht is amazingly cheap.....compare it with London!

However, that does not mean the con artists should bet away with it as they blacken the names of all.

As to the baggage in my view the Taxis are not suitable for even 1 largish suitcase so those LPG Tanks should not be allowed.

I got in a Taxi at the Paragon and soon noticed No Meter at all. No Driver Photo displayed and No Number on the doors.....

So totally illegal and I had him stop by a Police Box, left the door open so he could not do a runner.

He was arrested and the Taxi impounded.

But you need to be careful as some of these scum carry knives and machete.

• Like 1

It doesn't cost "5 or 6 hundred dollars" to bring enough bags through airlines to make it difficult to fit luggage into the small taxis. Two people flying in economy from the States are allowed two fifty pound bags each, plus two carry-on items each. They almost always try and steer you towards the larger taxis. If the larger taxis are allowed to increase their fees, then there will no longer be any small taxis at the airport.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Agree. Maybe:

If bigger vehicle is needed, then kilometer rate perhaps 5% more (just a wild guess about %), but only if bigger vehicle is ordered.

Maybe the taxi desk clerks inside the terminal should ask every customer: how many people? , how many bags? , and then tell the passenger they should use a large SUV / CRV or a standard vehicle. Get agreement from customer then desk clerk proceeds to assign the job to a standard or a large vehicle.

For bags again I agree. Maybe:

- 1 cabin bag / computer bag and ladies handbag, and 1 plastic shopping bag, and 1 suitcase - no charge.

- Every extra small bag +10Baht

- Every extra suitcase + 15Baht

But only if there is a regulation that the taxi driver must help get the bags in and out of the vehicle.

What I strongly object to is the situation I saw at Don Muang about 2 months ago. Passenger gets automatically allocated a taxi number at the taxi assignment desks inside the terminal. (The passenger is a Thai female, alone, has one standard size computer bag - no other bags, she's from my flight from Chiang Mai, she's a pleasant university professor who I have met and worked with several times previously, speaks excellent English.)

Passenger proceeds to the taxi and discovers it's a large SUV / CRV vehicle.

Passenger doesn't get into the vehicle, she asks driver if he uses meter. Driver says ' no, bigger engine uses more fuel' then goes on to demand flat rate to go to Landmark hotel area of 400Baht plus tollway fees.

Passenger says no, because she did not ask for this special large vehicle, she just wants a standard taxi using meter. She goes back inside and asks to speak to the supervisor of the taxi allocation desks. Desk staff respond 'he's too busy'.

Passenger asks one of the desk clerks to assign her another taxi, standard size. Nothing happens, desk clerks refuse to speak to her.

Passenger is now talking with numerous other Thai passengers (in Thai language) and farang passengers (in English) all waiting for taxis explaining what's just transpired.

Passenger goes to the police office next to the taxi queue line inside the terminal. She comes out and she spots me, she says a police vehicle will take her to her hotel.

After she leaves the area some Thai passengers now spot the queue supervisor who has mysteriously reappeared. When asked (attacked) about the whole situation he just repeats 'mai ru' / 'mai saab' (basically I don't know / I'm not aware).

Many passengers before disclosing their final destination to the desk clerk now insisting to know if the taxi card the desk clerk is holding is a standard or large taxi. Supervisor attacks one Thai lady and tells her she cannot do that and tells her she's rude. Mob boos the supervisor and he runs for cover.

Surely there is no need for any of the above issues, problems, etc. Specific regulations should have been promulgated years ago to cover all of these which are fair to all parties.

But, the chaos continues.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

Anyone else getting tired of reading about all the taxi issue in Thailand?

They should just do the job they signed up for within the rules and regulations of that job or quit and find another job

Reading is voluntary as is hitting depressing the power button.

The taxis are pissed because they want to charge you 180 baht for a 67 baht ride. That was my last experience in Bangkok. 4 taxis passed on me and the 5th gave me a ride. The 4 should have had to go to the end of the line and start over. Whiny little bitches.

Will not even talk about the ass that got lost and wanted me to pay for it. beatdeadhorse.gif A taxi driver with no working cell phone, right

^^^^ 5th one gave you a ride ?, you had it lucky, I returned from Bangkok yesterday, whilst there, on one occasion 15 Taxi's !!! all stopped and refused to take me, either wanted treble the fair and no meter, or just shook there head and drove off.

Having the first 5 refuse is the norm in my experience.

They should just do the job they signed up for within the rules and regulations of that job or quit and find another job

Like the farmers

Indeed.. if you don't like your job change it.. stop moaning about it. Never knew you would see the light. I always figured you were a die hard militant farmer.

Could be that its a sarcastic remark but ok, lets go for the good in people.

We all agree its time for Taxi to raise the meter fare, starting at 45 baht is still reasonable and maybe 55 baht for large vehicles. Even the baht/km jumps slower than most taxis from other developed countries. Everyone admits, taxi in Thailand is cheap, even the Thais think so too. The government should tackle this problem right away, as its one of the main areas that is effecting the tourist and Thailands reputation, as well as Taxi drivers livelihood.

I think there is good business to be made in the taxi business. Set up company, get license, hire drivers and pay them a good wage. Heck you can even use Toyata Yaris and Honda Jazz, like in Indonesia to make the ROI faster. This is what Blue Bird Taxi in Indonesia does, and they have fairly good ratings compare to normal taxis there. Drivers are trained before they start work too.

• Like 1

As usual it's all about Money and Me ... pure greed. If they don't like their occupation then find another job. Unfortunately they know all too well there are not many jobs that allows them to earn a living whilst being able to sleep most of the day.

Lazy and stupid only beings to describe them adequately.

• Like 1

"A Facebook community page for taxi drivers has further drawn ire from Bangkok passengers when it posted that drivers of large-sized taxis at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport has protested against what they saw as unfair fare rate for them."

You chose the career, so live with the rules that go with it.

Wah, wah, wah, my taxis big, I should be allowed to charge what I want

Buy a smaller car next time.

Don't even need to buy a smaller car: At home the 3 litre TDI Hilux and 2 litre TDI Audi are equally efficient...it's called modern engineering. Some of those ''big'' vans are 1.6L and hardly burn through petrol. Now if you red line every gear it might become a bit costly....mmmm ;)

• Like 2

Larger taxis with more room for people and goods should get a higher rate. Fair. Fin.

Agreed...

Taxi's in Bangkok are cheap, so is the minimum wage and cost of living... It could be argued that when compared to the cost of essentials, accommodation etc the taxi's are priced to reflect the cost of living for the Driver. IF the taxi's were so cheap then there wouldn't be so many taxi's in the streets - Capitalism at work.

Thus: I don't buy the argument that we should accept some of these issues and stop complaining because the taxis are so cheap - this is a highly flawed argument for a multitude of reasons.

Regarding larger vehicles - Charging a little extra would be a good idea. A known fixed cost i.e. a 50 baht surcharge, or additional meter charge. No one complains when these additional charges are transparent.

When my Wife, Son and I travel there is no way we can get all our baggage in a Standard Altis Taxi - the LPG tank takes most of the space. We can fit in a Camry, thus we use AOT and are happy paying more.

In Australia taxi companies go one step further - offering a Maxi-Cab with a Childseat - Excellent - but it comes at additional cost which I don't mind.

In Singapore there are vehicles with larger boot space (Toyota Wish) at no additional charge - Taxi's are relatively cheap compared to the cost of living in SG.

In short: Taxi's in Bangkok are aware of the rates, while there are many good, hard working drivers out there, there are many drivers with a terrible attitude amongst whom there is a sense of entitlement that manifests itself as some from of arrogance that they deserve a higher rate - these guys are simply a bunch of chancers best to be avoided.

I don't mind paying more for better service (i.e. AOT, UBER). I won't pay more for the same idiotic behaviour I've witnessed so many times in a conventional taxi...

Thus: this news reinforces my idea to avoid the conventional taxis wherever feasibly possible.

• Like 1

If you're tired of reading it .... don't read it.