BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Thaivisa News

Large taxis protest? Passengers welcome it!

Bangkok:- A Facebook community page for taxi drivers has further drawn ire from Bangkok passengers when it posted that drivers of large-sized taxis at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport has protested against what they saw as unfair fare rate for them.

Instead of winning support for the protest, the post instead drew criticisms. Many people posted comments, saying the unhappy taxi drivers should quit their career and leave the Suvarnabhumi for good.

The Voice of Taxis page on Monday posted picture of empty car park ground for taxis. It said drivers of large mini-van types taxis all decided to protest for a day so that passengers with a lot of belongings may try using two small-size taxis instead of one large-sized taxi that wants to collect a flat rate.

It stated that the passengers thought they were taken advantage of by large taxi drivers so they should try packing all their bags into a small taxi.

The protest followed the airport’s ban against two drivers of mini-van taxis who collected a flat rate fare on a group of Japanese tourists instead of using meter. The airport took the action after a Bangkok resident Japanese man posted on his Facebook, complaining against the two taxi drivers.

A Faceobook user who uses the name of Nate Aquarius said: “Congratulation for the protest. Passengers always have options and they don’t have to depend on childish taxi drivers”.

Thanet Kanthasob said he totally agreed with the protest because passengers can pay Bt800 for an Airport limousine to get a much better service than that from mini-van taxis, which charge nearly the same rate with the limousine.

Thanarat Sodsup posted that small-sized taxis, whose drivers are unhappy with the use of meters, should also stop taking up passengers at the airport.

• Like 1

Shoes' on the other foot now.

They been ripping off passengers for a long time now.

And now they're spitting their dummies out.

Love it.

Carry on boys !!

• Like 1

I have no problem paying a little more for a bigger taxi if I have a lot of luggage. However, I will not let them screw me, to charge 600 to 700 baht. That is BS.

But you have no problem paying the airline an extra 5 or 6 hundred dollars to carry your bags.

Sometimes best to think before opening.

I have no problem paying a little more for a bigger taxi if I have a lot of luggage. However, I will not let them screw me, to charge 600 to 700 baht. That is BS.

But you have no problem paying the airline an extra 5 or 6 hundred dollars to carry your bags.

You should take your own advice.

• Like 2

My last "large" taxi driver went by the meter......

BUT the meter was rigged to add 60% mileage if you used the expressway markers to check !

He said it was the "new rules" but a regular 29km ride turned into a 39km fare......ummmmm

1st time I had that problem and he got the real 29km rate......

Anyone else getting tired of reading about all the taxi issue in Thailand?

They should just do the job they signed up for within the rules and regulations of that job or quit and find another job

Like the farmers

• Like 2

There are rogue Taxi Drivers all over the world including London.

But also many brilliant guys in BKK who work extremely long hours to make a crust.

The Basic start fare of 35 Baht is amazingly cheap.....compare it with London!

However, that does not mean the con artists should bet away with it as they blacken the names of all.

As to the baggage in my view the Taxis are not suitable for even 1 largish suitcase so those LPG Tanks should not be allowed.

I got in a Taxi at the Paragon and soon noticed No Meter at all. No Driver Photo displayed and No Number on the doors.....

So totally illegal and I had him stop by a Police Box, left the door open so he could not do a runner.

He was arrested and the Taxi impounded.

But you need to be careful as some of these scum carry knives and machete.

• Like 1

It doesn't cost "5 or 6 hundred dollars" to bring enough bags through airlines to make it difficult to fit luggage into the small taxis. Two people flying in economy from the States are allowed two fifty pound bags each, plus two carry-on items each. They almost always try and steer you towards the larger taxis. If the larger taxis are allowed to increase their fees, then there will no longer be any small taxis at the airport.

• Like 1

And to add to Lee4Life's post, if you have a Star Alliance Gold frequent flyer card, that increases your checked baggage allowance to three pieces from North America.