Large taxis protest? Passengers welcome it!

Thaivisa News

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have no problem paying a little more for a bigger taxi if I have a lot of luggage. However, I will not let them screw me, to charge 600 to 700 baht. That is BS.

Agree. Maybe:

If bigger vehicle is needed, then kilometer rate perhaps 5% more (just a wild guess about %), but only if bigger vehicle is ordered.

Maybe the taxi desk clerks inside the terminal should ask every customer: how many people? , how many bags? , and then tell the passenger they should use a large SUV / CRV or a standard vehicle. Get agreement from customer then desk clerk proceeds to assign the job to a standard or a large vehicle.

For bags again I agree. Maybe:

- 1 cabin bag / computer bag and ladies handbag, and 1 plastic shopping bag, and 1 suitcase - no charge.

- Every extra small bag +10Baht

- Every extra suitcase + 15Baht

But only if there is a regulation that the taxi driver must help get the bags in and out of the vehicle.

What I strongly object to is the situation I saw at Don Muang about 2 months ago. Passenger gets automatically allocated a taxi number at the taxi assignment desks inside the terminal. (The passenger is a Thai female, alone, has one standard size computer bag - no other bags, she's from my flight from Chiang Mai, she's a pleasant university professor who I have met and worked with several times previously, speaks excellent English.)

Passenger proceeds to the taxi and discovers it's a large SUV / CRV vehicle.

Passenger doesn't get into the vehicle, she asks driver if he uses meter. Driver says ' no, bigger engine uses more fuel' then goes on to demand flat rate to go to Landmark hotel area of 400Baht plus tollway fees.

Passenger says no, because she did not ask for this special large vehicle, she just wants a standard taxi using meter. She goes back inside and asks to speak to the supervisor of the taxi allocation desks. Desk staff respond 'he's too busy'.

Passenger asks one of the desk clerks to assign her another taxi, standard size. Nothing happens, desk clerks refuse to speak to her.

Passenger is now talking with numerous other Thai passengers (in Thai language) and farang passengers (in English) all waiting for taxis explaining what's just transpired.

Passenger goes to the police office next to the taxi queue line inside the terminal. She comes out and she spots me, she says a police vehicle will take her to her hotel.

After she leaves the area some Thai passengers now spot the queue supervisor who has mysteriously reappeared. When asked (attacked) about the whole situation he just repeats 'mai ru' / 'mai saab' (basically I don't know / I'm not aware).

Many passengers before disclosing their final destination to the desk clerk now insisting to know if the taxi card the desk clerk is holding is a standard or large taxi. Supervisor attacks one Thai lady and tells her she cannot do that and tells her she's rude. Mob boos the supervisor and he runs for cover.

Surely there is no need for any of the above issues, problems, etc. Specific regulations should have been promulgated years ago to cover all of these which are fair to all parties.

But, the chaos continues.

The taxi desk inside the terminal at KL ask for the destination, how many people and how many bags then look at your bags. You then pay the fare as indicated on the display, not the taxi driver. Is that difficult?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have no problem paying a little more for a bigger taxi if I have a lot of luggage. However, I will not let them screw me, to charge 600 to 700 baht. That is BS.

Agree. Maybe:

If bigger vehicle is needed, then kilometer rate perhaps 5% more (just a wild guess about %), but only if bigger vehicle is ordered.

Maybe the taxi desk clerks inside the terminal should ask every customer: how many people? , how many bags? , and then tell the passenger they should use a large SUV / CRV or a standard vehicle. Get agreement from customer then desk clerk proceeds to assign the job to a standard or a large vehicle.

For bags again I agree. Maybe:

- 1 cabin bag / computer bag and ladies handbag, and 1 plastic shopping bag, and 1 suitcase - no charge.

- Every extra small bag +10Baht

- Every extra suitcase + 15Baht

But only if there is a regulation that the taxi driver must help get the bags in and out of the vehicle.

What I strongly object to is the situation I saw at Don Muang about 2 months ago. Passenger gets automatically allocated a taxi number at the taxi assignment desks inside the terminal. (The passenger is a Thai female, alone, has one standard size computer bag - no other bags, she's from my flight from Chiang Mai, she's a pleasant university professor who I have met and worked with several times previously, speaks excellent English.)

Passenger proceeds to the taxi and discovers it's a large SUV / CRV vehicle.

Passenger doesn't get into the vehicle, she asks driver if he uses meter. Driver says ' no, bigger engine uses more fuel' then goes on to demand flat rate to go to Landmark hotel area of 400Baht plus tollway fees.

Passenger says no, because she did not ask for this special large vehicle, she just wants a standard taxi using meter. She goes back inside and asks to speak to the supervisor of the taxi allocation desks. Desk staff respond 'he's too busy'.

Passenger asks one of the desk clerks to assign her another taxi, standard size. Nothing happens, desk clerks refuse to speak to her.

Passenger is now talking with numerous other Thai passengers (in Thai language) and farang passengers (in English) all waiting for taxis explaining what's just transpired.

Passenger goes to the police office next to the taxi queue line inside the terminal. She comes out and she spots me, she says a police vehicle will take her to her hotel.

After she leaves the area some Thai passengers now spot the queue supervisor who has mysteriously reappeared. When asked (attacked) about the whole situation he just repeats 'mai ru' / 'mai saab' (basically I don't know / I'm not aware).

Many passengers before disclosing their final destination to the desk clerk now insisting to know if the taxi card the desk clerk is holding is a standard or large taxi. Supervisor attacks one Thai lady and tells her she cannot do that and tells her she's rude. Mob boos the supervisor and he runs for cover.

Surely there is no need for any of the above issues, problems, etc. Specific regulations should have been promulgated years ago to cover all of these which are fair to all parties.

But, the chaos continues.

I add a little more about appropriate regulations.

Surely years ago a regulation should have been put in place that prohibits taxis with gas tanks (anything) that take up a large amount of the boot space from servicing airports.

I add a little more about appropriate regulations.

Surely years ago a regulation should have been put in place that prohibits taxis with gas tanks (anything) that take up a large amount of the boot space from servicing airports.

Now you are just being silly - your idea is completely logical and sensible and therefore has no place in discussions about Thailand's roads.

• Like 2

Love the taxis that turn up to the international aiport in a Corrolla with a large LPG/CNG gas tank fitted in the trunk and zero room for suitcases.---- very Thai !

Can't they just use some common sense and rid these taxis and the moronic drivers from the industry.

In Turkey many years ago they had two kinds of taxis licenced. Both had meters though the rate differed.

The smaller were normal renault sized cars.

The larger were the equivalent of a four door vigo with no lpg tank.

They had to take all carrying jobs within their load and I had no trouble at all with them in the half dozen or so times I used them.

I've had good and bad experiences. The worst was getting dropped at the airport and I didn't have the correct (non meter) money, so handed him 1000baht, and he jumped in the car and sped off. The good experience was a driver who used the meter (I just pay the tolls), and it took a while to find a taxi to agree since where there is a queue of them if one refuses (to use the meter) they tend to stick together, so you have to look elsewhere. Traffic was busy and it cost a lot of his time. I felt bad for him about that, so tipped him handsomely. The final price for both experiences 'should' have been about the same (discounting the theft), but one left a good feeling, and the other one not.

Edited by Shiver

'Thanarat Sodsup posted that small-sized taxis, whose drivers are unhappy with the use of meters, should also stop taking up passengers at the airport.' That's the ultimate answer, for all taxi drivers: if they think they're hard done by, they can always look for a proper job, where they receive a salary in exchange for which they will be expected to put up or shut up.

I've had good and bad experiences. The worst was getting dropped at the airport and I didn't have the correct (non meter) money, so handed him 1000baht, and he jumped in the car and sped off. The good experience was a driver who used the meter (I just pay the tolls), and it took a while to find a taxi to agree since where there is a queue of them if one refuses (to use the meter) they tend to stick together, so you have to look elsewhere. Traffic was busy and it cost a lot of his time. I felt bad for him about that, so tipped him handsomely. The final price for both experiences 'should' have been about the same (discounting the theft), but one left a good feeling, and the other one not.

Pity you didn't take the one's number and report him for theft.

Love the taxis that turn up to the international aiport in a Corrolla with a large LPG/CNG gas tank fitted in the trunk and zero room for suitcases.---- very Thai !

Can't they just use some common sense and rid these taxis and the moronic drivers from the industry.

In Turkey many years ago they had two kinds of taxis licenced. Both had meters though the rate differed.

The smaller were normal renault sized cars.

The larger were the equivalent of a four door vigo with no lpg tank.

They had to take all carrying jobs within their load and I had no trouble at all with them in the half dozen or so times I used them.

Licences dictate they take the loads and turn on the meter, everywhere. But Thais have had - and still have - a habit of turning a blind eye, so hardly surprising they have got away with it for so long.

Interestingly, Vietnamese taxis use at least two different rates, and it might be three, but I've never found out the difference.

All Thai Taxi (Nakorn Chai Air bus company) starting 1 may!

Passengers call and book a cab. Company owns the vehicles and the drivers are employees of the company.

Drivers not allowed to add anything or dismissed, charge based on standard Land Transport Dept., rates plus 20Baht to book by phone. Regular follow up to ensure customers fully satisfied.

All the cars are Toyota Prius hybrid, no gas tank, large luggage space.

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2015/02/first-look-at-all-thai-taxi-launching-in-may-2015/

Their advertising says they pick and return to airports.

Starts 1 May!!!

I like it! But I'm surprised the Moderators allowed this post! (Advertising)

My last "large" taxi driver went by the meter......

BUT the meter was rigged to add 60% mileage if you used the expressway markers to check !

He said it was the "new rules" but a regular 29km ride turned into a 39km fare......ummmmm

1st time I had that problem and he got the real 29km rate......

Then why you did not report him ??? It's so easy to do !!

because of people like you, the scams will never stop.....

I've had good and bad experiences. The worst was getting dropped at the airport and I didn't have the correct (non meter) money, so handed him 1000baht, and he jumped in the car and sped off.

You got what you deserved. You did know that you would be going to the Airport, right ? so why you did not make sure to have enough small bills ? Even many honest drivers would have a hard time to give change for a 1.000 Bill when the actual fare is maybe 250 or so....