Acupuncture

altman

i have been interested in trying acupuncture for awhile, but the places i have seen all seem to be 'if you are sick come to us' places. i just want to try it on my sore thumb.

i was at maharaj hospital and noticed they have an acupuncture clinic. but really, i don't want to tie up scarce resources.

any suggestions?

i have been interested in trying acupuncture for awhile, but the places i have seen all seem to be 'if you are sick come to us' places. i just want to try it on my sore thumb.

i was at maharaj hospital and noticed they have an acupuncture clinic. but really, i don't want to tie up scarce resources.

any suggestions?

Mungkala Traditional Medicine Clinic and Acupuncture

0-5327-8494 0-5320-8431

The best in Chiang Mai

21 Rajchammanka RD

I find it difficult to believe that sticking a chunk of pointed metal in one part of your body can possibly cure an ailment in another part......

as in..." you have a brain tumour?...go...stab yourself in the toe with a needle.....and you shall be cured?" naaaah!

i agree with you ronw and that is why i want to try it. there appears to be a lot of empirical evidence that it does work, but i remain sceptical. so, what better way to learn than experience?

--

"If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."

- e. e. cummings

Friends of mine have been to the acupuncture clinic at McCormick Hospital for

a variety of ailments including high blood pressure and to help give up smoking.

I'm not sure how it works on a sore thumb though!!

I prefer Dr Wang over the 2 doctors at Mungkala. I think he does a better job at needle placement and he twists them until you get that energy tingle. Same price for the two. 500 baht per session.

Mungkala does do moxabustion while Dr Wang does not. Dr Wang prescribes fresh herbs for making medicinal teas while Mungkala gives pills which I don't think work as well IMHO.

He can be found in the mornings at the big chinese pharmacy right across from Gat luang market. The pharmacy is on the north side of the street.

Big insurance companies are fairly convinced accupuncture is effective for somethings like controling back pain otherwise they wouldn't be paying out so much for it.

i agree with you ronw and that is why i want to try it. there appears to be a lot of empirical evidence that it does work, but i remain sceptical. so, what better way to learn than experience?

--

- e. e. cummings

IMVHO.. the effects are mostly psychosomatic...which, to have an effect ,would require belief in the process!

These things and systems are called "alternative medicine"....if they really worked.. they would be called "medicine"....without the qualifier!

I know people who are convinced it works....but they are usually the gullible sort who believe anything.

acupuncture is one of the reasons i'm in chiang mai--i go to mungkala and dr. wang, each are excellent but in slightly different ways. dr. wang, who i first started going to 4 years ago, gives me the more "aggressive" treatment i want (whereas i sometimes feel like the doctor at mungkala is afraid to prick me too hard)--i go to him (or, actually, have him come to me, in the case of a major problem). the doctor at mungkala on the other hand is fluent in english and able to discuss what's going on and different options in english a bit more clearly--i go to her on a regular, longer term basis as an alternative to popping pills to deal with a chronic issue. both are extremely kindhearted people and gifted doctors.

oh, and before 4 years ago i didn't "believe" in acupuncture either. but now i know it works, as more and more studies are showing: http://www.pinc.com/healthnews/acupuncture.html

--

- e. e. cummings

IMVHO.. the effects are mostly psychosomatic...which, to have an effect ,would require belief in the process!

These things and systems are called "alternative medicine"....if they really worked.. they would be called "medicine"....without the qualifier!

I know people who are convinced it works....but they are usually the gullible sort who believe anything.

Sorry, but this has to be a crazy idea... Because some people call it alternative, you feel that it somehow makes it unreal or something similar? My, but your thinking seems so narrow.

I share most of your opinion, but from my own experience with it over 2 years of getting acupuncture almost daily after I had a stroke. Tried all the different kinds of stimulation, too.

Nothing worked for me, so I'm a doubter.

Hey, I just noticed that this is post #4001 :o

Edited by Ajarn

ajarn, i'm sorry your own experience with acupuncture wasn't effective (if i'm reading your post correctly), but i do know someone who suffered a stroke and for whom acupunture restored feeling to her legs and the ability to walk again. different bodies respond (or not) to different things.

i will say that the practitioner makes a difference as well--i was running around trying to find good acupuncture treatment in china (of all places) and found the experience very much inferior to that i've had in chiang mai (though i'm sure excellent acupuncture can be found in china if you're in the right places and know where to look...maybe speaking chinese would help as well).

cheers, dana

--

- e. e. cummings

Sorry, but this has to be a crazy idea... Because some people call it alternative, you feel that it somehow makes it unreal or something similar? My, but your thinking seems so narrow.

I share most of your opinion, but from my own experience with it over 2 years of getting acupuncture almost daily after I had a stroke. Tried all the different kinds of stimulation, too.

Nothing worked for me, so I'm a doubter.

Hey, I just noticed that this is post #4001 :o

congratulations on post No 4001

have you tried Healing stones, energy transfer,homeopathy...and all the other quackeries peddled around......at a price?

As i said earlier....there are many gullable folk about.....and many who are ready to take advantage of them....

recently, while teaching english, my students and i discussed various medical practices. during the course of this conversation i mentioned 'alternative medical' practices. they became confused when i tried to describe my version of alternative. to them my alternative was their traditional.

prescription medication would be considered alternative to a person experienced with traditional medical practices.

recently, while teaching english, my students and i discussed various medical practices. during the course of this conversation i mentioned 'alternative medical' practices. they became confused when i tried to describe my version of alternative. to them my alternative was their traditional.

prescription medication would be considered alternative to a person experienced with traditional medical practices.

Excellent :o