I have successfully grown about 30 to 40 bell peppers (aka sweet peppers) directly from seeds from the fruit I purchased and ate.

Most plants have grown and are between a foot and a two feet high and most are producing fruit. However, most of the fruit is quite small, about the size of a golf ball and a lot of the fruit simply rots withing a few days.

I'm really surprised as the plants are thriving, but the fruit isn't.

This is my first time growing bell peppers and I have no idea why the fruit doesn't grow any bigger and why so much of it is rotting. Do any of you TV members have experience with growing bell peppers? Any suggestions what I can do to 1) get the fruit to grow bigger and 2) prevent it from rotting so quickly?

Much appreciate the information.

Thanking you in advance.

Most likely your seeds were from a hybrid, they will not produce anything interesting.

Get yourself quality seeds, plant in the cool season, fight off the fruit fly and other assorted bugs, you will have nice bell peppers.

You also need to make sure your soil is relatively disease free, a lot of the fungus and rot can be traced to soil pathogens.

Wood vinegar will help.

Most likely your seeds were from a hybrid, they will not produce anything interesting.

Get yourself quality seeds, plant in the cool season, fight off the fruit fly and other assorted bugs, you will have nice bell peppers.

You also need to make sure your soil is relatively disease free, a lot of the fungus and rot can be traced to soil pathogens.

Wood vinegar will help.

Thank you for the tips re wood vinegar and seeds.

Re good quality seeds: I live in Korat and I've looked in numerous stores for bell pepper seeds but to no avail. Couldn't find a single packet. Do you, by any chance, happen to know where I could buy good quality seeds? What stores carry good quailty seeds (of veggies in general, not just bell peppers). I visit BKK every few weeks, so I could look there too. Thank you.

Wood vinegar will help.

Re good quality seeds: I live in Korat and I've looked in numerous stores for bell pepper seeds but to no avail. Couldn't find a single packet. Do you, by any chance, happen to know where I could buy good quality seeds? What stores carry good quailty seeds (of veggies in general, not just bell peppers). I visit BKK every few weeks, so I could look there too. Thank you.

I too was aggravated by the fact that you can't find the seeds that you want. Either the Thais are extremely stupid or they found out that certain vegetables don't grow in certain areas. I cultivated peas for two months and that's what I got: two peas. Some stuff will grow on the other side of the road (chili and garlic for example) from here but not in the village, nobody bothers. You can try cultivating in pots but I haven't found that to be a convincing solution. I agree that the cooler time of year is a good time for some crops, that's when I can get some tomatoes going, in the shade.

Wood vinegar will help.

The only reliable way of obtaining hard to get seeds; from overseas sellers. Lots of companies will ship to Thailand.

On this board, you can look for member rice555 he might have some local information.

Good Luck.

My wife bought a large green pepper bell from the local Thai market , and planted the seeds .

WP_20150410_020_zpsbz3sp0eg.jpg

So far the pepper bell's only grow to a small size , and then just stop growing. Ive noticed that if the pepper bell body while growing touches another pepper bell or the plants stalk , the area on the pepper bell where its touching starts to rot and become discolored , the plant is growing under shade in a large area . The pepper bell's on sale at our small local market are not grown in our area and are expensive , my wife seems to think they are grown in the North .

My wife bought a large green pepper bell from the local Thai market , and planted the seeds .

So far the pepper bell's only grow to a small size , and then just stop growing. Ive noticed that if the pepper bell body while growing touches another pepper bell or the plants stalk , the area on the pepper bell where its touching starts to rot and become discolored , the plant is growing under shade in a large area . The pepper bell's on sale at our small local market are not grown in our area and are expensive , my wife seems to think they are grown in the North .

That really sums up my problem: small bell peppers which are discoloured and simply rot.

I really don't know if this is due to them coming in contact with the stems and/or leaves but I'll keep an eye on that in the coming weeks. Thanks for the tip(s)!

Hello All, part of your growing problem is your seed, most likely a Hyb., they are not very reliable seed

for replanting saved seed as most people on the OG section of the farming forum know, think "OP" seed.

​Here in Korat at time of the year, you can buy Hyb. bell pepper seeds, be leave they are from CHIATAI.

A good OP you can order from places like Tomato Growers in FL and she will send by 1st. Class Air Mai

is Calif. Wonder, and the Yolo Wonder, an improved cal wonder.

While most of my growing is in poly bags of coir and hydro nutes, you can grow bells and other chilies/peppers

all over Isan, just use good seed, so you know what your working with and not in the middle of the hot season,

unless under shade cloth, they can get sunburned like tom's do(sun scald).

rice555

and for a good Hyb. bell that will do heat ok, is King Arthur Hyb. if ordering from TGS.

post-37242-0-48657500-1430722754_thumb.j

post-37242-0-87235400-1430722797_thumb.j

Hello All, part of your growing problem is your seed, most likely a Hyb., they are not very reliable seed

for replanting saved seed as most people on the OG section of the farming forum know, think "OP" seed.

​Here in Korat at time of the year, you can buy Hyb. bell pepper seeds, be leave they are from CHIATAI.

A good OP you can order from places like Tomato Growers in FL and she will send by 1st. Class Air Mai

is Calif. Wonder, and the Yolo Wonder, an improved cal wonder.

While most of my growing is in poly bags of coir and hydro nutes, you can grow bells and other chilies/peppers

all over Isan, just use good seed, so you know what your working with and not in the middle of the hot season,

unless under shade cloth, they can get sunburned like tom's do(sun scald).

rice555

and for a good Hyb. bell that will do heat ok, is King Arthur Hyb. if ordering from TGS.

Thank you for the info rice555. Forgive my ignorance, but what does "OP seed" mean? Am looking at Tomato Growers's site now... great variety.

• 1 year later...

Archived