Risk of a calamity if North haze not tackled urgently

jko

Come on this isn't that important. First, they gotta stop all the kids from having sex on Valentine's Day and then rid the beaches of girls in bikinis less they get raped. Smoke killing people. Not a problem.

And it isn't just the crops to worry about. The idiots (and sorry moderator but you have to be an idiot to burn plastic and styrofoam) could care less about what they burn as long as it is downwind.

This guy will probably get thrown in jail for criticizing the government under the new laws eh.

Edited by SCARLETIBIS1
  • Like 1

Prison sentences for directors of companies engaged in maize farming could be a good deterrent. I doubt a prison sentence would be effective with the average villager, fines or confiscation of assets such as motorbikes possibly more convincing. The suggestion of mass education via TV is a good one - show consequences such as a paient struggling to draw breath with emphysema.

As a falang, if it gets too bad I will simply leave.

While Prayut makes closer ties to Russia and China and snubs the West, his country is falling apart in front of his eyes and yet there is no announcement from this wonderful, Thai happiness, reform building government about dealing severely with the pollution in the north, the garbage problems on Samui and other deep rooted problems this country has; problems that make living a clean, peaceful life in Thailand more and more difficult every year.

• Like 1

Just don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen,

every year just as the burning starts they proclaim a

crack down and nothing ever happens.

Maybe if they start handing out heavy fines,or prison

sentences,they might get some results,if they can fine

a restaurant nearly 500,000THB,just for having pictures

of beer bottles on their menus, they could hand out

similar fines for burning,as that effects so many of the

population.

regards worgeordie

Very good article, and totally agree with what you say! And a very good comparison of where priorities lie - a bit off this topic, but a similar situation exists with the garbage disposal problem in Samui. Money has been allocated (and "lost") to resolve the problem, the Mayor has been "ordered" by the Governor of Surat Thani to resolve the problem, and still nothing is done.

Maybe an outbreak of cholera, or something similar might get something done, but regarding the burning problem in the North, surely that doesn't cause lung cancer? I thought it was smoking cigarettes that did that?

Edited by sambum

Just don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen,

every year just as the burning starts they proclaim a

crack down and nothing ever happens.

Maybe if they start handing out heavy fines,or prison

sentences,they might get some results,if they can fine

a restaurant nearly 500,000THB,just for having pictures

of beer bottles on their menus, they could hand out

similar fines for burning,as that effects so many of the

population.

regards worgeordie

Very good article, and totally agree with what you say! And a very good comparison of where priorities lie - a bit off this topic, but a similar situation exists with the garbage disposal problem in Samui. Money has been allocated (and "lost") to resolve the problem, the Mayor has been "ordered" by the Governor of Surat Thani to resolve the problem, and still nothing is done.

Maybe an outbreak of cholera, or something similar might get something done, but regarding the burning problem in the North, surely that doesn't cause lung cancer? I thought it was smoking cigarettes that did that?

Any smoke is a cause of lung cancer, it doesn't have to be from a cigarette. The very fine particles of carbon which constitute smoke have a range of pollutant chemicals absorbed on the surface ( e.g. benzene, phenol, napthalene ) and it's the chemicals which do the damage to lung cells.

Frequently I have been so disgusted with the burning of old crop and forested hillsides around me. My eyes are sore and I have to waer a mask. I have been wanting to alarm the local authorities, but got the friendly advise not to do so. Some folks might kill me for my farang interference.

Nothing will be done also next season. And it is not only the corn it is also the sugarcane fields.

Like I said before it takes extreme strong leadership to taggle all Thailand's problems.

Capitalism has not done Thailand a whole lot of good, has it. The relentless quest for money is paying its toll now.

Heads need to roll, and add a few thousand people to the list we still haven't seen and waiting for.

Besides start fining the farmers hefty fines, they are easy to track.

And for now forget your submarines and spend the money on this emergency.

People's health above all.

As serious as this topic is I was surprised to see that I am the only person following it. Kind of gives you a glimpse into things "We just do not care"

I think there are many more following this article.

I for one will be positive - and move. I've never smoked, and putting up with this lot for almost 3 months now, plus the uncontrolled emission from diesel exhaust, has made me decide to move to a healthier part of the country. Judging from the layers of dust and ash in my condo (which I regularly clean), I'd hate to imagine how much I'm breathing in.

Yes, I'm chickening out, but I didn't leave clean air and a clean environment in Australia, to put up with this fall-out. If in fact the worst of this is from corn debris, it's even more horrifying. The USA is using a huge amount of its corn each year to produce ethanol, and it seems that's what is happening here.

I would actively discourage tourists from coming here from January to June.

• Like 2

Thailand has an excess of rice ... corn is used to make ethanol for fuel supplement. Why not find ways to use rice to make ethanol ... ever heard of rice wine? Rice is not as efficient as corn to make ethanol -- but there is plenty of it.

Similarly there is an excess of latex from the trees ... but no real R&D programs to create new ways to use the latex...

It is called thinking outside the box but not happening here...

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

it's not going to change. The best is to leave and stay somewhere else until the haze has cleared. Usually only 1-2 weeks really bad.

and where do you go? it's almost the same in all the north no?

• Like 1

I totally agree with this article especially if written by a thai. I reside in Chiang Rai and note over the last years that I have resided here that the situation has certainly worsened. From a farang perspective I feel That we ha ve no voice on this issue, however, I do feel that the government should be pro-active in dealing with this serious issue. They certainly have the resources (army, etc) to target this world issue. They have erected posters here hi-lighting the dangers, however, unless something positive is undertaken. people will continue in their beligerent ways!