Risk of a calamity if North haze not tackled urgently

jko

it's not going to change. The best is to leave and stay somewhere else until the haze has cleared. Usually only 1-2 weeks really bad.

This is a disaster for health of all people living in Thailand !!!

Sorry are you and I really living in the same Chiang Mai as me??? USUALLY ONLY TWO WEEKS ???? !!!! The period of burning is virtually continuous in one form or another and to one degree or another throughout the dry season.. it starts with the man who sweeps his leaves in to a pile and watches them burn to the farmer burning cow muck out every few days and the plastic bottle burning sessions ... Rice crop burning , the descending smoke from the Mountains fires of Slash and burn , the craziness of burning corn waste ( good animal feed if silaged) .

Sorry I have had a cough for over two months this year and have hated the acrid burning at the back of my throats .. people need to understand tourists are not coming to enjoy teh smog! know the pollution in Chiang Mai round the moat outwards is increasingly bad with the pollution levels ..

Just a couple of examples of periods .. certainly others have a similar opinion to me - more than two weeks!

https://www.facebook.com/firereportschiangmai

4 Mar 2015 at 18:04

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/environment/488821/trash-burning-blamed-for-chiang-mai-smog

This guys says it goes on for 2 months .. (but omits the street rubbish burning too) :
  • Like 1

A good friend of mine in the UK died of FARMERS LUNG . Dust in the cab when reaping . Could be the same cause of lung problems here

Then again it could have absolutely nothing to do with LUNG CANCER.

Edited by Chicog

This is in queue behind fixing the Samui garbage problem. This has been on hold since 2008. From the picture posted soon the incinerator building (outdated technology that has been discontinued in the west for decades because of pollution problems) will be hid by the mound of garbage. Anything that involves time and money is well not an option. Nothing will be done until tourist numbers decline drastically. Drastic drops in tourism is the only thing that catches their attention and opens their wallets. Its the only poll they are tuned to. People with lung cancer are like any war collateral damage. This is a world wide problem nothing is fixed till it gets to the breaking point including infrastructure world wide. Then band aid solutions are applied and the problem is kicked down the road. Provinces, states, federal governments are all bankrupt except for paying politicians bloated salaries. Its the new world order suck it up what we the low level population think is of no consequence. Soon the hands of time will turn backward and we must reclaim our rights similar as to what happened in the French revolution.

Yes but this time public executions of Wall street Banksters!,

• Like 2

'... a five-year-old child could tell us that we are going against the balance of nature, as well as flying in the face of common sense.' Well, we aren't dealing with five-year old children; we're dealing with farmers, ignorance and money. Not a great combination for common sense.

'No responsible government, anywhere, would allow this.' Political party votes notwithstanding, how many responsible governments has Thailand had over the last forty years?

'... repeat the hazards and consequences of burning on every Thai television channel. Graphic hospital and operating room footage should be included to drive the message home.' Show it on the farming channels, with affected farmers front and centre. That might just drive it home.

A good friend of mine in the UK died of FARMERS LUNG . Dust in the cab when reaping . Could be the same cause of lung problems here

Then again it could have absolutely nothing to do with LUNG CANCER.

'Then again it could have absolutely nothing to do with LUNG CANCER.' Pedantics. Emphysema, chronic bronchitis, heart problems ... whatever diseases might result from the burning, there's no excuse for not taking action to close it down.

• Like 2

Just don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen,

every year just as the burning starts they proclaim a

crack down and nothing ever happens.

Maybe if they start handing out heavy fines,or prison

sentences,they might get some results,if they can fine

a restaurant nearly 500,000THB,just for having pictures

of beer bottles on their menus, they could hand out

similar fines for burning,as that effects so many of the

population.

regards worgeordie

Very good article, and totally agree with what you say! And a very good comparison of where priorities lie - a bit off this topic, but a similar situation exists with the garbage disposal problem in Samui. Money has been allocated (and "lost") to resolve the problem, the Mayor has been "ordered" by the Governor of Surat Thani to resolve the problem, and still nothing is done.

Maybe an outbreak of cholera, or something similar might get something done, but regarding the burning problem in the North, surely that doesn't cause lung cancer? I thought it was smoking cigarettes that did that?

Any smoke is a cause of lung cancer, it doesn't have to be from a cigarette. The very fine particles of carbon which constitute smoke have a range of pollutant chemicals absorbed on the surface ( e.g. benzene, phenol, napthalene ) and it's the chemicals which do the damage to lung cells.

I see appreciation of sarcasm is not your strong point!

Great article, couldn`t agree more.

Moved out of the north about 3 years ago, one reason being the burning `season`.

As one poster said though, it`s not just the fields and forests that burn. In the sticks, people think nothing of starting a little fire, plastic, foam, you name it, they`ll burn it and if it happens to be your next door neighbor, tough sh**!

We can only just wait and see how rigorously the punishments will be enforced for burning .. and who`s gonna enforce it??? whistling.gif

Just don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen,

every year just as the burning starts they proclaim a

crack down and nothing ever happens.

Maybe if they start handing out heavy fines,or prison

sentences,they might get some results,if they can fine

a restaurant nearly 500,000THB,just for having pictures

of beer bottles on their menus, they could hand out

similar fines for burning,as that effects so many of the

population.

regards worgeordie

I agree with the comparison, some odd draconian laws here..10,000 Baht fine or 6 months in Jail or both for drinking in public*,

jack all done about the slash and burning of crops. How about similar fines and imprisonment..and for village headman if (when)

he fails to report it, and the police if they fail to enforce it!

*Shameful as it is but a months salary or more for a local Thai person, or 6 months in jail...!

The Thai Govt has supplied Mulching Machines

But is hard for the land users to change their ways

Until they do Nothing Will Change

We can always wait and hope things will change

They have not supplied those machines. You have to rent them which is expensive why people burn their fields. It's the same with grass growing on your rice field. It's cheaper to cut and burn it than use pesticide.

It's a financial issue. Very simple.

They have not supplied those machines. You have to rent them which is expensive why people burn their fields. It's the same with grass growing on your rice field. It's cheaper to cut and burn it than use pesticide.

OK.

Then we all die because of a financial matter?

Makes sense to me...

OK.

Then we all die because of a financial matter?

Makes sense to me...

You're not gonna die because of the haze. But reality is this situation won't change. Happens every year and gets bad for about 1-2 weeks. If you want to avoid it, go somewhere else for the time until the haze has cleared. This news will get very quiet and will come back in March 2016 for next haze season.

Some things you can't change here. You better adapt.

As serious as this topic is I was surprised to see that I am the only person following it. Kind of gives you a glimpse into things "We just do not care"

I think there are many more following this article.

I for one will be positive - and move. I've never smoked, and putting up with this lot for almost 3 months now, plus the uncontrolled emission from diesel exhaust, has made me decide to move to a healthier part of the country. Judging from the layers of dust and ash in my condo (which I regularly clean), I'd hate to imagine how much I'm breathing in.

Yes, I'm chickening out, but I didn't leave clean air and a clean environment in Australia, to put up with this fall-out. If in fact the worst of this is from corn debris, it's even more horrifying. The USA is using a huge amount of its corn each year to produce ethanol, and it seems that's what is happening here.

I would actively discourage tourists from coming here from January to June.

I never understand people that move to Asia then complain about the pollution.

Kind of like moving to Siberia and complaining about the cold

• Like 1

Putting myself on the list of those who've struggled with this for a number of years but now am taking drastic steps to get away from it. Sold my condo 8 months ago, left things on hold in Ch. Mai to avoid the pollution, and now am going to return to pack up things and move to where I'm not yet certain. Possibly the coast of Vietnam, or beach areas of Cambodia. Somewhere in Asia with a coastline thus should be able to get fresh air. Never once have I smoked and don't intend to do any more of this unintentional smoking as I've done in North Thailand, as much as I love it there. I'm perusing maps and wish Laos had a seacoast as I really enjoy Laos. Sri Lanka is another possibility. If it were affordable I'd love to relocate to the seaside somewhere in Japan what with it's great food, etc. Would enjoy hearing from anyone who's been in my shoes and has already relocated. Any info out there? Thanks.

As serious as this topic is I was surprised to see that I am the only person following it. Kind of gives you a glimpse into things "We just do not care"

I for one will be positive - and move. I've never smoked, and putting up with this lot for almost 3 months now, plus the uncontrolled emission from diesel exhaust, has made me decide to move to a healthier part of the country. Judging from the layers of dust and ash in my condo (which I regularly clean), I'd hate to imagine how much I'm breathing in.

Yes, I'm chickening out, but I didn't leave clean air and a clean environment in Australia, to put up with this fall-out. If in fact the worst of this is from corn debris, it's even more horrifying. The USA is using a huge amount of its corn each year to produce ethanol, and it seems that's what is happening here.

So you like living in pollution?

When you can stop Siberia being cold by simply enforcing existing laws, let me know.

coffee1.gif

Putting myself on the list of those who've struggled with this for a number of years but now am taking drastic steps to get away from it. Sold my condo 8 months ago, left things on hold in Ch. Mai to avoid the pollution, and now am going to return to pack up things and move to where I'm not yet certain. Possibly the coast of Vietnam, or beach areas of Cambodia. Somewhere in Asia with a coastline thus should be able to get fresh air. Never once have I smoked and don't intend to do any more of this unintentional smoking as I've done in North Thailand, as much as I love it there. I'm perusing maps and wish Laos had a seacoast as I really enjoy Laos. Sri Lanka is another possibility. If it were affordable I'd love to relocate to the seaside somewhere in Japan what with it's great food, etc. Would enjoy hearing from anyone who's been in my shoes and has already relocated. Any info out there? Thanks.

I have been living in BKK and the south so far during my retirement in Thailand, but always had an idea to check out CM to live for the long term. I had planned a trip of 3 or 4 weeks there this Feb/March but decided against it due to the reports of smoke/haze. My short and long term health is important to me above all else so unless/until this problem is resolved, I will not even venture there for vacation. At this point I live in Thailand for about 6 months a year, October to April and since a big chunk of this time is during the "problem" season, I see no reason to even go there.

The only thing that will make government wake up is to be hurt in the pocketbook....less expats living/moving there, less tourism during the dangerous season. It seems to me I read that the tourism to CM during Songkran was way down this year, I wonder why?

Excellent article by the OP, I am really impressed!!!

This article is such a great eye opener to many. Too many times we overlook real concerns and issues and engage ourselves in idle sweet nothings. It is sad to see such a serious catastrophe is unfolding , with such little interest paid to it.

Large scale burning on this magnitude generates huge levels of carbon dioxide. These high levels of carbon is released into the atmosphere and this is what leads to the thickening of the ozone layer and the green house effect. This is a direct cause to the quickening pace of climate change. We all know the threat and dangers pose by climate change on this rapid pace.

Maybe here we are speaking to the converted. I am sure everyone here who reads and responds to this article are very much aware of the dangers. The unfortunate thing is the people who are guilty of causing this hazard and those who could prevent are perhaps never visitors to this forum. This is the unfortunate part.

This problem needs massive education. Farmers need to taught. Schools need to educate , health services need to speak out , and the government needs to get active to combat this impending disaster.

We saw after the coup how the government used prime time television to state their intentions . All regular programming was preempted in order for the leaders to get their messages. If they are serious , then they can do the same thing now to educate people about this unfolding disaster. They could do the honorable thing and create standards, dish out punishment and fines , offer solutions , do what ever, but do something.

This is and will be a nightmare for Thailand. The greatest resources of any country are its people. If they are sick ,then you have a sick country. Perhaps the leaders are not aware , but they should be of the magnitude of this problem. The world is crying out about climate change. The UN and WHO is active in educating about preventable heath hazards. The time is quickly running out if something is not done quickly.

• Like 2

1st class post with lots of sense written...
what doesn't make sense is why this happens every year...
go to the headman of each area & lay it out in layman's terms... get it stopped or become an ex- headman !!

I bet their will be a brighter sky next year !!

"I never understand people that move to Asia then complain about the pollution.

Kind of like moving to Siberia and complaining about the cold"

With education and commitment the deadly haze can be solved.

Cold in Siberia Will Always Be, unless global warming from too much air pollution changes it.