BANGKOK 19 August 2019 16:39
Sign in to follow this  
AyG

Do True Annuities Exist in Thailand?

In the USA, Vanguard is an excellent source for information about annuities. See https://investor.vanguard.com/annuity According to Vanguard, a 65-year-old person can get $1,000 per month for life by putting $167,105 into an income annuity. That's a 7% payout.

In the US, low cost fixed income annuities are available - albeit denominated in USD - at competitive prices. Unfortunately however, I haven't seen a US insurance/annuity provider willing to sell an annuity to someone living in Thailand. Would you happen to know if that's changed or if Vanguard is an exception?

Vanguard doesn't actually sell the annuities but has links to various insurance companies that do so you can do price shopping. I don't know if a US annuity can be sold to a person living in Thailand but I'm sure that the really biggies such as AIG and Prudential have linked or subsidiary companies in Thailand. The Vanguard page is very friendly. Check it out. It will be a good starting point for further research into what companies sell annuities outside of the US and what the residence requirements are. Good luck, although I don't recommend annuities for anyone with a little investment savvy and initiative. There are better options available.

Vanguard doesn't actually sell the annuities but has links to various insurance companies that do so you can do price shopping. I don't know if a US annuity can be sold to a person living in Thailand but I'm sure that the really biggies such as AIG and Prudential have linked or subsidiary companies in Thailand. The Vanguard page is very friendly. Check it out. It will be a good starting point for further research into what companies sell annuities outside of the US and what the residence requirements are. Good luck, although I don't recommend annuities for anyone with a little investment savvy and initiative. There are better options available.

Thanks DogNo1. Based on past research the types of products being sold in Thailand - even by the types of international firms that you mention - are not nearly as competitive nor as attractive as what is advertised to US residents on the Vanguard site.

If anyone knows of fixed immediate annuities available in Thailand please post. But at this point the market here simply seems to be at a different level of development. As the market evolves in time hopefully we'll see better solutions in this area. Until then it can be a bit frustrating for folks looking for solutions to see what they might get elsewhere but are unable to source locally.

Edited by Misty

Standard Chartered in Thailand offers annuity plans.

PS These may not be in the form of "true" as I believe they have a life insurance aspect to them but may be worth looking into.

Edited by Hideout