24-year-old Thai man steals phone cables to 'support girlfriends'

webfact

24-Year-Old Steals Phone Cables to 'Support Girlfriends'
By Khaosod English

14301286391430128683l.jpg
Chakri Tadee with the stolen cables at a police press conference, 27 April 2015.

CHAIYAPHUM – A 24-year-old man is under arrest for allegedly stealing copper from telephone cables in Chaiyaphum province and selling it for at least 60,000 baht - which he said was necessary to support his numerous girlfriends.

According to police, Chakri Tadee cut down cables belonging to TT&T on Baan Kai - Lahan Road in the early morning of 22 April.

Police say Chakri stole 47 meters of cables and sold the copper for more than 60,000 baht.

Speaking at police press conference today, Chakri said he works for the state telecommunication enterprise TOT in Bangkok

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1430128639

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-04-27

• Like 1

"47 meters of cables and sold the copper for more than 60,000 baht."

If that's the current price one gets for scrap copper I fear more people will find their landline out-of-order soon.

• Like 1

Is this Thainess? I am still trying to understand what is meant by that phrase!

Its an insult dreamed up by the Thai haters who for some strange reason feel they must vent their spleen on every possible topic.

Huh?

"Discover Thainess" was dreamed up by TAT or their advertising agency.

Officially:

In 2015, Thailand’s tourism policy focuses on promoting the values of Thai culture. The campaign aims to create an understanding of Thailand and the Thai people’s way of life, or what we call ‘Thainess.’

It is used by certain posters to mock the things that TAT would rather not get publicised.

E.g. a farang gets beaten up and robbed by a gang of criminal youths outside Pattaya: "Discover Thainess".

Farang gets run over by a pissed policeman driving a truck through a red light on the wrong side of the road, and who then gets off scot free: "Discover Thainess".

etc.

I think we have a better understanding of Thailand and the Thai people's way of life than TAT think.

biggrin.png

However, it does seem to be a bit over-used by some.

Great, and accurate reply....!

• Like 2

That happens in germany every week. Mostly romanian or bulgarian "immigrants" who steal copper and steel lines to sell it to scrap metal merchands. Sometimes german train system is interrupted because thieves grap signalling-cables from beside the tracks. Culprits rarely arrested. So what can you do? Telecom-, Electrical-power- and train-companies use "chemical DNA" nowadays to brand/identify the metals, ie. they spray a film of identifier from helicopters on overhead-lines.

Edited by jackinthebox

We have to frequently replace our lightning arrestor cables (the one on top of the power cables) on our power systems (Industrial Estate) because it is stolen over night. This is so common in Thailand I did not think it would warrant cover in the news??

We have to frequently replace our lightning arrestor cables (the one on top of the power cables) on our power systems (Industrial Estate) because it is stolen over night. This is so common in Thailand I did not think it would warrant cover in the news??

A suggestion - install an air gap earth rather than a direct connection, and the high voltage of a lightning strike will jump the gap. Then connect 220V to to the arrestor cables.

• Like 1

Are TT&T and TOT separate organisations?

Could be industrial sabotage.....

Oh, and one other thing.....24? Yeah right.......

heh.... this twit aint seen 24 in 10 years .....

In my country it happens very often that gypsies steal it....but also if police find them , our judges leave them free: judges told that they are not sure that copper found is stolen.....maybe it is normal that everybody keeps many hundreds kg at home.....blink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.png .

In any case, our judges don't put in prison gypsies and immigrants....they are a resorce for the country....blink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.pngblink.png

What will it happen in normal country (thai) where politics and judges are not hypocrite ?

That happens in germany every week. Mostly romanian or bulgarian "immigrants" who steal copper and steel lines to sell it to scrap metal merchands. Sometimes german train system is interrupted because thieves grap signalling-cables from beside the tracks. Culprits rarely arrested. So what can you do? Telecom-, Electrical-power- and train-companies use "chemical DNA" nowadays to brand/identify the metals, ie. they spray a film of identifier from helicopters on overhead-lines.

Why not make it too dangerous for the scrap metal dealers to touch it?

I thought Thainess was a THAI marketing term ?

Thainess (khwam ben thai) was first used in the 1950's and refers to order, neatness and presentability both public and personal. The King also used the term to advance his Nation - Religion - Monarchy philosophy.

TBWG wai.gif

GFs can't call to visit him as the prison has landline phone facepalm.gif

and....... cop how tall that coppa is!!

This is after all, Electric Lady Land :) No wire, no hire.

Yeah 47 metres is a pretty tall coppa. I have images of something like a B movie with Coppa versus Godzilla battling it out in Sukhumvit.