How Dangerous Are These Scorpions And What's Best If One Stung You?

lostinisaan

Within only two days, I had to "show two ( for me) huge black Scorpions the door." Got a set of tongs ready for the next, that might come around.

We do not kill such animals so we're careful, switch the lights on to be sure that there's no scorpion around. I've attached a photo, what they looked like.

The one was not that big, but at least as big as my wife's hand. What's the best treatment if one of us would have the bad luck to get stung by one of these creatures?

Thanks a lot in advance for any useful information about common Scorpions in the northeast.-wai2.gif

post-158336-0-76985200-1430237755_thumb.

You should learn from this, it's always dangerous to move stones, debris, dry wood piles or old wood logs. In most case, there are scorpions nesting underneath. A bite will take you from a very nasty painful sting that you will fell weeks later, to a certain death when left untreated for 20 minutes.

in the scrub, torn, and wild countryside, whether it's been south Tennesee or south Eesaan, i ve adepted the habit to let my eyes scan the ground while I walk.

The risk is foreseeable. The deeper in the bush you are, the more dangerous your environment becomes.

I am surprised you mention you don't kill them . . . if i find any of them around the house, I will kill them instantly. They are not by far such an endangered species as we humans are !

Not sure about the one in the photo but all in our family at the farm have been bitten by the browny/black scorpions a few times. It stings for about 24 - 30 hours but no problems after that. They are about 40 - 50 mm long. Not sure about the bigger, black ones that you find under water tanks, logs etc

You should learn from this, it's always dangerous to move stones, debris, dry wood piles or old wood logs. In most case, there are scorpions nesting underneath. A bite will take you from a very nasty painful sting that you will fell weeks later, to a certain death when left untreated for 20 minutes.

in the scrub, torn, and wild countryside, whether it's been south Tennesee or south Eesaan, i ve adepted the habit to let my eyes scan the ground while I walk.

The risk is foreseeable. The deeper in the bush you are, the more dangerous your environment becomes.

I am surprised you mention you don't kill them . . . if i find any of them around the house, I will kill them instantly. They are not by far such an endangered species as we humans are !

So how about telling us the vital treatment necessary within 20 mins to avoid death?

Generally, the bigger the pincers, the less potent the sting.

Scorpions with relatively large pincers as above, need them to hang on to prey whilst their poison does its work.

Little pincers means that they don't need to hang on long cause they've already nailed you :)

Unless you get a bad reaction to the poison, it will just be like a bad wasp sting...

Respect to the OP for catch n release approach..

You will not die from a scorpion sting in Thailand unless you have a particular allergy to the venom.

Not sure about the one in the photo but all in our family at the farm have been bitten by the browny/black scorpions a few times. It stings for about 24 - 30 hours but no problems after that. They are about 40 - 50 mm long. Not sure about the bigger, black ones that you find under water tanks, logs etc

40- 50 mm "long"?

These guys who came for a visit were about ( at least) 150 mm long. Without the dangerous tail. I like big spiders and spiders look like pets to me, comparing to these creatures.

The black ones are called Elephant Scorpions , have come across two in the house in recent years.

Got stung by one of the smaller brown ones while i was sleeping , ice pack on the sting for as long as possible , 12 hours mild pain , next 12 hours it subsides.

I did learn from this, getting better to catch them with a tool, walk them out on the road and drop them of at a guy's house who's absolutely not liked in the hood.

We very seldom move stones. debris ( makes me think about airplanes, sorry) inside our house. Bur yes, dry wood, gotta be careful with our tables and chairs from now on.

Now I'm really glad that we didn't move into the bushes of lower northeast. Why I don't kill them is a good question.

Neither my wife, nor our 16 year old son wants that. You don't have to kill everything you're scared of. Just thinking about the general now....

BTW, son had the brilliant idea to use such a tool to grab them at their tail. There's no chance for them to do any damage to you.. Just watch their movement and be prepared.

Killing is a strange topic. I could kill a human being for raping my child, for example, but I couldn't kill a dog. Thanks for the helpful knowledge.

If the Army guy makes it to Sisaket, I could kidnap him and open up a little zoo, where he can deliver his fantastic speeches to those who listen.

Scorpions, snakes, Tarantulas and huge centipedes would have to share a place with him then. I already feel sorry for them.

LOL. SpokaneAl likes that. thumbsup.gif

I like it too, right next to broken legs and the measles. w00t.gif

Don't worry. Thai scorpions are not as dangerous as the North American kind, more like a bee/wasp sting.

Two recorded fatalities have occurred in the state of Arizona since 1968; the number of victims stung each year in Arizona is estimated to be in the thousands. In Mexico, more than 100,000 people are stung annually, and during a peak period in the 1980s, the bark scorpion claimed up to 800 lives there

You should mind the country side at all, stay in your "safe" cities... The black scorpions are quite harmless, not as poisonous as their smaller brothers and by far less dangerous than the Vietnamese centipede. Thais in my surroundings usually don't care about the black scorpions, but if somebody wants to get rid of them, then they eat them...

There are few accidents with snakes or scorpions on the country side, worst are encounters with the above mentioned Vietnamese centipedes, the only insect I know which actively goes forward attacking you... very scary, but no reason to kill any wildlife around my house and village. Give nature a chance (btw... I kill the mentioned centipedes, these fellows I don't need/want around my house. My neighbours will preserve the beast in a bottle of LaoKao and enjoy this "medicine" after three to four months. Cheers)

Fatfather

Moving stones, I have already seen centipedes, which ran away, 10 cms from me : now, I put gloves and boots

as for scorpions, I have read than in Thailand they are not very dangerous, but avoid them anyway

Thanks, mate. Thought they'd sting?. Are you still alive? coffee1.gif

A lot more than that "creepy crawly". Was a few years ago in Surin. It attached itself to my bedding when it was outside drying after washing. Not the nicest midnight surprise I've had in bed!

I have been stung by the light brown ones and Father in law gave me a leaf to rub on the sting. Absolutely no problem - less painful than a wasp sting and less irritating than Mosquito bite.

I did unearth this dark blue scorpion whilst I carefully moved some debris. Nobody had seen one like this. It looks dangerous!?!? (got to figure out how to upload an image - sorry). it was dark blue and about 125mm in length

I have been stung by the light brown ones and Father in law gave me a leaf to rub on the sting. Absolutely no problem - less painful than a wasp sting and less irritating than Mosquito bite.

I did unearth this dark blue scorpion whilst I carefully moved some debris. Nobody had seen one like this. It looks dangerous!?!? (got to figure out how to upload an image - sorry). it was dark blue and about 125mm in length

Figured it out here is the image:-

post-55459-0-74348100-1430280611_thumb.j

40- 50 mm "long"?

These guys who came for a visit were about ( at least) 150 mm long. Without the dangerous tail. I like big spiders and spiders look like pets to me, comparing to these creatures.

This is what a "brown widow spider" can do to you (in Thailand)

post-156212-14302813387304_thumb.jpg

Wife says: the big black ones are by no means lethal.

When I see the quite relaxed reaction of my family when they see one this seems plausible.

And also the after pain seems much less bad than the much feared centipedes.

Those buggers are much more dangerous.

get them all the time in the yard,they seem to move around at night,dogs bark at them,

go out with a pair of thongs put them in a bucket,turn them loose in a rice paddy,down the road

not sure about the last one,but the wife said it is a scorpion

post-156436-0-38567800-1430281356_thumb.post-156436-0-92623900-1430281380_thumb.post-156436-0-42397700-1430281408_thumb.post-156436-0-29893400-1430281452_thumb.

40- 50 mm "long"?

This is what a "brown widow spider" can do to you (in Thailand)

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1430281335.363730.jpg

The brown widow is thought by some researchers to originate in South Africa. The origin of this species is uncertain, as specimens were discovered in both Africa and South America.[1] They are usually found around buildings in tropical areas. They can compete with populations of the black widow spider. It has migrated to many parts of the world. It is found in many areas of the United States, Australia, Afghanistan, Japan, Tanzania, Dominican Republic, Cyprus, Costa Rica, El Salvador, and Brazil, and there have been sightings in the United Arab Emirates and Thailand.

Wiki

post-156436-0-29893400-1430281452_thumb.

Do these bury holes in the ground?

An old friend spent some time in Surin and went catching them, roasting and eating them (look like what he described).

A bit of an odd thing to do, but he was from Kent so understandable.

Archived