Removing acrylic paint from tv screen, possible?

dageurreotype

My decorator, having been startled by a Tookay, flung a pot of acrylic paint over my tv screen, then smeared it trying to get it off. He's about to use paint thinner to remove it. I've told him to stay his hand until I'm able to research an alternative. I've just tried distilled water and white vinegar, no chance. Any suggestions please?

I think acrylic should normally be removable with water, since it is water based. If that fails you may try with White spirit or Terpentine which is actually undiluted white spirit, but I should stay clear from Thinner and without doubt acetone.

It's going to be a tough one of the paint is already dry, warm water and dish soap may shift it but I would stay away from any spirit based substance.

Claim on your home insurance?

A Google search will reveal you are not the first :(

Might it help to heat up the paint with a dry blower?

Don't exaggerate.

I have some "SCREEN CLEANER" spray here.

As it has absolutelty no smell, it could well be some expensive destilled water biggrin.png

I am afraid you have no better chance than trying some methods at some very corner (like botttom right).

Maybe even put some paint there to test.

Against other advice you could carefully try the razor blade method, flat-angle, little to no pressure!

Edited by KhunBENQ

If it is a glass screen, I'd be tempted to try a razor blade at a very shallow angle or some fairly aggressive chemical. However if the screen has any additional coatings on it I reckon you'll risk taking them off too.

Best would have been wiping with a damp cloth before dry since the paint is water soluble until dry.

Once the paint dries it is no longer water soluble. Since the monitor is essentially ruined anyway, I would try a product called Goof Off which contains benzyl alcohol and and ethylene (alcohols). I don't think it would hurt the monitor and it will dissolve the paint.

Unless the monitor is newer and high-end, I'd treat myself to a new one instead.

Good luck.

Get to the chemist and ask for a bottle of isopropanol/isopropyl alcohol, it will remove the paint without and harm to your screen whatsoever (although the paint thinners may have already).

If they don't sell it in liquid form they may sell surgical wipes for cleaning wounds, check the label to be sure they contain IPA.

Don't use any form of ketone.

• 5 years later...