Retirement Extension Paperwork - New Copy Requirement?

CMBob

Had my annual appointment this morning and was somewhat surprised that the Immigration officer asked for copies of every page in my passport (turns out it's 8 pages of 2 pages each - not counting the departure card or 90-day address thing). Although I did have the copies with me (I typically take a couple folders with all kinds of stuff), I've never been asked for all of that in the last 4-5 annual extensions I've obtained. Is this a new requirement in Chiangmai?

• Like 1

I just gave them one set of copies from my passport,and one copy of everything

else i thought they would need, this was last week,and did not ask for anything

else. there seemed to be a few new officers there,and sometimes they seem

to make the rules as they go along, any way they were very nice,which at 3.00

after which must be a hectic day,was very commendable.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

I'm not complaining as the officers have always been nice and efficient with me. I provided them with the usual stuff [TM 7, photo, passport copies (photo page, last extension page, entry page, departure card, and 90-day thing), bank letter with copies of bank book, and lease copy] but I was just surprised she asked for copies of every other page in my passport. Never did that before.

Edited by CMBob

I just gave them one set of copies from my passport,and one copy of everything

else i thought they would need, this was last week,and did not ask for anything

else. there seemed to be a few new officers there,and sometimes they seem

to make the rules as they go along, any way they were very nice,which at 3.00

after which must be a hectic day,was very commendable.

regards worgeordie

The OP was referring to; Immigration asked for a copy of every page in his passport. What do you mean; I just gave them one set of copies from my passport? Does that mean copies of every page or only the main pages and the stamped pages?

I have always only taken copies of the relevant pages in my passport, never the blank pages.

I actually went for my annual visa extension only a couple of months ago and was not asked to produce copies of the blank pages in my passport. But thank you for the tip off CMBob. Just to be on the safe side I will take copies of every page from my passport next time I go for my visa extension and probably advisable that everyone else does the same because we all know that dealing with Immigration is like a lottery, so best to bring everything and have done with it.

• Like 2

I actually went for my annual visa extension only a couple of months ago and was not asked to produce copies of the blank pages in my passport. But thank you for the tip off CMBob. Just to be on the safe side I will take copies of every page from my passport next time I go for my visa extension and probably advisable that everyone else does the same because we all know that dealing with Immigration is like a lottery, so best to bring everything and have done with it.

I can understand copies of all pages that have something on them, highly unlikely op is referring to blank pages.

So nobody gets too excited, I wasn't referring to any blank pages - I meant all the other pages that had various stamps on them which are in my case are 6+ years old (I guess I should have been more specific). I've never been asked for those other stamped pages before (other than the documents noted in brackets in my post above) and was just guessing it was a new rule since my last annual visit (which was at the end of April of 2014). Anyway, just to be safe, everybody ought to take a complete set of all stamped pages.

A couple of years ago, I got tired of always missing a copy, so I started to give them copies of all pages in the passport. Incl. the empty ones.

They never complained about that and did not give any copies back.

Nah! It's the Double A paper company reducing their stockpile with a few "nudges and winks".

Ya gotta wonder where all these copies from all these government agencies finish up?

• Like 1

Yeah, there must be a warehouse someplace with all that dead paperwork. Hmm, maybe the mayor owns it and rents out the space to the Federals.

When I worked in Bangkok my work permit application included 27 pages of paperwork most of it in Thai. It probably gets re cycled there's some money in that.

I'm not complaining as the officers have always been nice and efficient with me. I provided them with the usual stuff [TM 7, photo, passport copies (photo page, last extension page, entry page, departure card, and 90-day thing), bank letter with copies of bank book, and lease copy] but I was just surprised she asked for copies of every other page in my passport. Never did that before.

The last time I renewed ( 6th time ) I provided the same as always like you - but was asked to make copies of original non-o and all renewals and multi entry permits not every used page - maybe this is what she really meant

The last time I renewed ( 6th time ) I provided the same as always like you - but was asked to make copies of original non-o and all renewals and multi entry permits not every used page - maybe this is what she really meant

In my case, I had a folder with multiple copies of everything - like I said, I usually take the everything including the kitchen sink just in case they ask for something. And in my case, she wanted and took even a copy of the page of a tourist visa which preceded my first "O" visa. In the prior 3 extensions here in Chiangmai (and before that in Hua Hin), I've only ever provided the documents mentioned above in brackets - and no other page copies were requested or provided.

Lesson learned: When handling your annual extension, make sure you have a copy of every single non-blank page in your passport besides any other required paperwork.

Some how I don't think they want copy's of blank pages. My passport has 52 pages in it, 49 empty.

So nobody gets too excited, I wasn't referring to any blank pages - I meant all the other pages that had various stamps on them which are in my case are 6+ years old (I guess I should have been more specific). I've never been asked for those other stamped pages before (other than the documents noted in brackets in my post above) and was just guessing it was a new rule since my last annual visit (which was at the end of April of 2014). Anyway, just to be safe, everybody ought to take a complete set of all stamped pages.

You quoted in your OP; the Immigration officer asked for copies of every page in my passport.

You people seem to have your own type of language when explaining things and expect everyone else to understand. I have always given copies of every relevant page in my current passports that has always been the rules since the Jurassic period at Immigration. The same applies regarding current bankbooks and other relevant documents. I have no idea why the officer requesting all relevant pages had surprised you.

If as you say; you had all the copies with you, than why did you not hand them all over to the officer in the first instance, what’s the big deal? Certainly not thread worthy.

You quoted in your OP; the Immigration officer asked for copies of every page in my passport.

You people seem to have your own type of language when explaining things and expect everyone else to understand. I have always given copies of every relevant page in my current passports that has always been the rules since the Jurassic period at Immigration. The same applies regarding current bankbooks and other relevant documents. I have no idea why the officer requesting all relevant pages had surprised you.

If as you say; you had all the copies with you, than why did you not hand them all over to the officer in the first instance, whats the big deal? Certainly not thread worthy.

Certainly is thread worthy.

If you actually read the OP's post he says:

"somewhat surprised that the Immigration officer asked for copies of every page in my passport (turns out it's 8 pages of 2 pages each - not counting the departure card or 90-day address thing)"

Very small passport if anyone thinks it only has a total of 16 pages?

Nah! It's the Double A paper company reducing their stockpile with a few "nudges and winks".

Ya gotta wonder where all these copies from all these government agencies finish up?

Immigration re-uses them to print forms on - no joke! A few months ago I got a form to sign that was returned along with my 90-day report. I was shocked when I saw on the back was a photo-copy of someone's passport and visa to China - including all personal details. I had to sign the form and return it with my next 90-day report.

• Like 1

If as you say; you had all the copies with you, than why did you not hand them all over to the officer in the first instance, what’s the big deal? Certainly not thread worthy.

I certainly didn't expect to have to explain to anybody that I didn't mean the blank pages either. Guess I should have offered some pictures for you.

If you read what I said, you'd understand why I was little surprised (let me explain it again: I've gotten 5 extensions before and never have I been asked for any pages other than the ones I specified in brackets above.

I asked two friends at the expat breakfast this morning and they also said they've never been asked for anything but the "bracketed" documents either; however, based on some posts here, it's obvious that others (maybe even many) have been asked for all the pages (whoops: non-blank pages) before.

Look, it was new to me and I was just wanted to know if others had the same experience. If the thread educates one person about what is (or may be) required, maybe it's worthwhile. If you find no news or worthiness to the topic, then just please move on (I'll be nice and not comment about the thread-worthiness of some of your 7000+ posts).

• Like 2

Immigration re-uses them to print forms on - no joke! A few months ago I got a form to sign that was returned along with my 90-day report. I was shocked when I saw on the back was a photo-copy of someone's passport and visa to China - including all personal details. I had to sign the form and return it with my next 90-day report.

I have experienced the same

• Like 1

I certainly didn't expect to have to explain to anybody that I didn't mean the blank pages either. Guess I should have offered some pictures for you.

555 No worries Bob I'm sure most folks including myself knew you of course meant valid having info on them pages.

Never ceases to be amazed here at some of the replies eh?

Thanks for the heads up

Edited by mania

If you read what I said, you'd understand why I was little surprised (let me explain it again: I've gotten 5 extensions before and never have I been asked for any pages other than the ones I specified in brackets above.

I asked two friends at the expat breakfast this morning and they also said they've never been asked for anything but the "bracketed" documents either; however, based on some posts here, it's obvious that others (maybe even many) have been asked for all the pages (whoops: non-blank pages) before.

Look, it was new to me and I was just wanted to know if others had the same experience. If the thread educates one person about what is (or may be) required, maybe it's worthwhile. If you find no news or worthiness to the topic, then just please move on (I'll be nice and not comment about the thread-worthiness of some of your 7000+ posts).

In my opinion, Immigration officers requesting a few more photo copies of passport pages not submitted to them in the first instance is a non-event.

Any matters regarding Immigration are serious issues and being precise is extremely important. For example, if others had misinterpretation the exact meaning of copies of all pages from a passport required, than those who have to apply for visa extentions a day or two after reading your OP, could well start panicking and had needlessly obtained photocopies of literally every page in their passports.

My advice is, for those like yourself who are unsure of the exact documents required for visa applications and visa extensions, should first do a search online. There is an abundance of information including here on Thai visa, it`s all there for those who can be bothered to look.

Thanks, CMBob, for the update but see below.

Obviously, you did not mean ALL pages of the passport!

I think that I might have an explanation. Over the past ten years I have only been flagged once (after a couple of extensions) to provide extra copies of pertinent pages. They were the pages that tracked my arrivals in the kingdom from the original visa. At the time, the officer (Senior Sergeant Major) "Kip" (?) was efficient and helpful to dog-ear the appropriate pages --- so no unnecessary page copies were requested. ( I saved a fortune, of course, at the photocopier! facepalm.gif ) I can understand why an officer (I assume the woman who has been there a number of years, as well) might not go quite that far, just ask for all pages. That might avoid some confusion, actually, with the people at the copy machines who otherwise are going dizzy.

So, don't panic people! What's a trip to the photocopier, after all?! rolleyes.gif

Except for that one year with its trip to the photocopier, the interviews have always taken less than ten minutes.

Yeah, there must be a warehouse someplace with all that dead paperwork. Hmm, maybe the mayor owns it and rents out the space to the Federals.

When I worked in Bangkok my work permit application included 27 pages of paperwork most of it in Thai. It probably gets re cycled there's some money in that.

I've often wondered how they go about disposal. I had to organise some bulk secure shredding for work and it was quite expensive compared to the charges for them to take ordinary blue wheelie bins full of paper away when full. I hate to think of them being sloppy though and just sending them off to the binman; copies of your full name and address, passport, bank statement and other documentation required would be an identity thief's version of winning Lotto.

• Like 1

I've often wondered how they go about disposal. I had to organise some bulk secure shredding for work and it was quite expensive compared to the charges for them to take ordinary blue wheelie bins full of paper away when full. I hate to think of them being sloppy though and just sending them off to the binman; copies of your full name and address, passport, bank statement and other documentation required would be an identity thief's version of winning Lotto.

All that paper drives the staff crazy, too!

Oh my God, what should I do? This is so stressful I don't think I can handle it, to copy or not to copy? And my copy shop, like most of them, charges fifty stang a page, highway robbery, who can afford it anymore? Where is the Valium? What is the number for emergency services? Shit it is hot.

Edited by Bill97