Gang of burglars repeatedly targeting houses in Maenam Soi 5

Lite Beer

Gang of burglars repeatedly targeting houses in Maenam Soi 5

Koh Samui: -- A gang of burglars are making life a misery for the residents of Maenam Heights in Soi 5 in Maenam.

In the last three weeks one resident has been burgled twice, another has had three iPads stolen, a French resident had their computer stolen and one resident who was watching TV noticed that a ladder had gone missing, walked into the bedroom to investigate and caught sight of a man about to burgle her house, when the man realised he had been spotted he ran off.

The fearless criminals have been robbing these houses between 2pm and 4pm making use of the present hot weather to gain entry via open windows. The residents believe that the houses are being targeted because of their remote jungle location and believe the gang has a look out on the main ring road in Maenam.

If anybody has any information as to who may be operating in the Maenam area please contact the police immediately, residents of Maenam Soi 5 should be extra vigilant at this time and ensure windows in unoccupied rooms are kept shut.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-05-01

Sounds like they should get some high quality CCTV cameras pointing around and inside the house. These days CCTV systems are so cheap and they can even be monitored via the internet. It may help police catch these brazen criminals. Hope that they can sort it out soon.

I live in the area and have a very expensive alarm system but it is useless as if it went off no one pays attention . Leaving windows open when the house is empty is an open invitation . Having lived there for over six years I have never had a problem but I am always ready as I keep a very sturdy baseball bat within a couple of feet of me just in case !

I live in the area and have a very expensive alarm system but it is useless as if it went off no one pays attention . Leaving windows open when the house is empty is an open invitation . Having lived there for over six years I have never had a problem but I am always ready as I keep a very sturdy baseball bat within a couple of feet of me just in case !

Paradise.

Doesnt seem complicated from a crime point of view- these are crimes of opportunity. the only means someone could have to be available when a crime opportunity presented itself is if they have cover for status- why they are there. A nieghbor kid, a worker, any combination. But whoever is doing it has cover for why they are there. I bet it. Is this useful info? You decide. Dont be so sure it is a thai person though.

Big dogs!!

I cant think of hearing of anyone who has big dogs that has been robbed.

I have 2 huskies ,a large thai dog and a Pomeranian and every thai person that comes to the house is terrified of the huskies , especially the male with blue eyes . They all think it is a wolf or acts the same as a wolf, in reality it would lick you to death. If you don't want dogs then i suggest cctv that sends a signal to your phone when there is movement, not expensive and high quality. Also a heavy duty safe that takes at least 2 people to carry with difficulty otherwise you are wasting your time, every time you go out put all valuables in it. Only takes a minute and will save a lot of hassle.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Dogs are easily poisoned unfortunately.

With not much training you can teach the dogs to leave any foreign food given to them or thrown in your garden.

The sight of large dogs in your garden or at the windows of your house every so often will drop your house to the bottom of the list of targeted houses!

I have to pick up on this quoted in the original post

"The residents believe that the houses are being targeted because of their remote jungle location and believe the gang has a look out on the main ring road in Maenam" .

Not sure how they would come to that conclusion, the ring road is about 3 or 4 kms away.... and these houses cannot be seen from the ring road... plus the fact... Soi 4 leads off Soi 5 , and roads head up over the mountain to Nathon and Lamai or Lipa Noi, although a bit rough for a car, trucks could easily come that way and also exit..... plus another road that takes one out towards Ban Por.... blink.png

Three or perhaps four, CCTV cams could easily cover this nest of houses.... Seems to me the residents should get together... and set some up...? wink.png

Big dogs!!

I have 2 huskies ,a large thai dog and a Pomeranian and every thai person that comes to the house is terrified of the huskies , especially the male with blue eyes . They all think it is a wolf or acts the same as a wolf, in reality it would lick you to death. If you don't want dogs then i suggest cctv that sends a signal to your phone when there is movement, not expensive and high quality. Also a heavy duty safe that takes at least 2 people to carry with difficulty otherwise you are wasting your time, every time you go out put all valuables in it. Only takes a minute and will save a lot of hassle.

doesn't have to be a big dog, as long as it has a mean bark most thais will stay away, although having a big dog does help even if the dog doesn't bark!

• 3 weeks later...

Big dogs!!

"Big dogs!! "

I love only cats sad.png

Big dogs!!

"Big dogs!! "

I love only cats sad.png

No problem. Just get a tiger or a lion or a liger!! Will work better than dogs im sure!!biggrin.png

• 1 month later...

Big dogs!!

"Big dogs!! "

I love only cats sad.png

No problem. Just get a tiger or a lion or a liger!! Will work better than dogs im sure!!biggrin.png

Here's a watch-cat for ya!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYIKdQcqbjI

Big dogs!!

"Big dogs!! "

I love only cats sad.png

Here's a watch-cat for ya!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYIKdQcqbjI

Effectively seems efficient but probably a Siamese cat would be enough for me, weren't they guardians of the temples ?

By the way for the record a few decades ago following my first wife's whim I have had a Mastiff (not a Bull Mastiff) adult it weighed 8o kg, every one post man included used to stay 2 meters far from my garden's door, not easy for the door bell. My second wife's whim although many years later was to buy a Newfoundland (not again thought I) more or less same size but only 60 kg.smile.png

I have had 3 Siamese all smarter than each other but unfortunately the 3 of them died hit by a car on a country road.

So to day even though I stick to my I love only cats I hesitate to have one any more.

Archived