Cooking For Oneself In Thailand?

mark__baum

Hello kind forum-ers. I am going to be moving to Thailand in about two months, teach English, hope to experience an exotic foreign culture for a year, etc., and I was wondering what kind of challenges I might face trying to rent a place that is also accompanied with kitchen facilities? The reason is that I have IBS, and while I tend to do good on rice and vegetables(a big reason why I chose Thailand over other countries) things will likely work out better for me if I am able to prepare a majority of my meals for myself. So is it difficult or expensive to rent a place with a kitchen? If anybody could help me out with their wisdom I would be much grateful!

presuming that you can find a place with a kitchen you will only be able to cook stove top unless you have a microwave...the usual western cooker with an oven is hard to find.

also...think about availability of ingredients...if you have access to a tescos, Carrefour, etc then maybe OK but I find that my local tescos (30 km away) only has poor quality western vegetables like cauli, broccoli, potatoes, etc...look like they been on the shelf for about a month...

if you want to use your local ethnic thai market be prepared to do your shopping at 5 am...most places finish and shut down by 8...you can still get fruit sold out of the back of pickup trucks later on in the day...

good luck...

The good news is, that in general, Thailand will have a greater variety of vegetables to choose from, than the western country you come from (whichever country that is). The bad news, as others have pointed out, is trying to find a place to prepare them.

When I first arrived in Chiangmai, I paid an extra 1000 Baht per month for a room (in a guest house) with a "kitchen". The kitchen turned out to be an area with a tile floor, a sink, and some cabinet type shelving. Oh, and a two-foot high refrigerator. No cooker, no microwave, no utensils, pots, pans, dishes, etc.

I can't speak for Bangkok, but a kitchen isn't really part of the Thai concept of a house, at least in the North. I looked at several houses to rent, before settling on the one I live in now. None had a kitchen.

I think you will have to be very determined (and have some liquid cash) to find an affordable apartment with a kitchen in Thailand. Let us know what your experience is, and Good Luck.

:o

Edited by niteowl