Three cyclists killed, two others injured when hit by speeding car

Lite Beer

Thai news is reporting that the families of the deceased have declined 500K baht each in compensation in exchange for not pressing charges. They did receive a smaller insurance payout from the driver's Po Ro Bo coverage. Looks like they will be demanding justice and/or more substamtial compensation.

Hopefully the families will get justice. And hopefully this irresponsible girl who ruined many people's lives will rot in prison for the full 10 year term.

Agree 100% but we all know the process here. I guess the guy that ran over and killed the policeman in Bangkok is still in Hong Kong, that's how easy it is.

Passports should be cancelled immediately in cases like this and she should be put on the Immigration black list.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Threads like this are always great.. There's always the 'could happen anywhere' crowd... Why bother wearing a helmet, a condom, locking your doors, fastening your seatbelt, getting an education??

If you like riding your bike, and it is an absolute necessity, go for it. Is it as safe as riding on a bike trail in Cape Cod, no..

Just like you could go and have anal sex in Pattaya without a condom, guess what?? You probably won't get HIV.. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.. If you can't live without doing it though, go for it!

Thai news is reporting that the families of the deceased have declined 500K baht each in compensation in exchange for not pressing charges. They did receive a smaller insurance payout from the driver's Po Ro Bo coverage. Looks like they will be demanding justice and/or more substamtial compensation.

Hopefully the families will get justice. And hopefully this irresponsible girl who ruined many people's lives will rot in prison for the full 10 year term.

Agree 100% but we all know the process here. I guess the guy that ran over and killed the policeman in Bangkok is still in Hong Kong, that's how easy it is.

Passports should be cancelled immediately in cases like this and she should be put on the Immigration black list.

Right, and the girl that killed 5 (or more I think?) people in a van while sending an SMS is doing community service one day a month.

But this case has the attention of the Dear Leader and community leaders are putting pressure on him to do something - for what it's worth. Maybe the above has already been done? Maybe an example will be set? Who knows....

I really feel for the victims families in this case.

Threads like this are always great.. There's always the 'could happen anywhere' crowd... Why bother wearing a helmet, a condom, locking your doors, fastening your seatbelt, getting an education??

If you like riding your bike, and it is an absolute necessity, go for it. Is it as safe as riding on a bike trail in Cape Cod, no..

Just like you could go and have anal sex in Pattaya without a condom, guess what?? You probably won't get HIV.. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.. If you can't live without doing it though, go for it!

Not really sure where you are going with this but... cyclists have a right to ride and be safe. Why not do like they did in Los Angeles and give them dedicated bicycle lanes away from where the cars drive? Oh wait....TIT...it will never happen. Nice thought...

Drunk at 630am? Maybe she had a medical problem, like diabetes. This is tragic, but get the details before trying and executing her in the court of public opinion.

Yes. Suppose "medical problem" could be an answer. However, the Inspector Clouseau inside me leads me to suggest the possibility of drinking all night then departure from somewhere like Spicy or Lucky Bar at six in the morning being a slightly more likely scenario.

Theres a strange irony isnt there, that allegedly the reason Spicy and Lucky Bar are permitted to stay open all night is because they might be owned by police officers, and then when customers drive home after drinking all night, its probably more junior police officers who have to deal with the consequences!

Think about it !

All over the road like a drunken maniac at 6 in the morning because she might be a diabetic? The mind boggles. I do like your attitude of trying to see it from another angle but thats just borderline delusional.

10 years for each life lost is more closer to the mark. Even that's being lenient.

"Currently being treated in hospital for a broken arm" ?? The accident happened on Sunday and its now Thursday. A broken arm, leg, or wrist etc would generally be dealt with and back home same day !!......Police said theyre awaiting her recovery before she appears in court. So cant she appear with her arm in a plaster cast then?

Perhaps I have a suspicious mind, but the possible dragging of feet seems a bit fishy??

Did you watch the video that was posted here on first page ?

Yuu could clearly see the girl almost unconscious and with half of the car on top of her. I am surprised she escaped this with only a broken arm . She probably needs time to recover at the hospital . And then Im sure she will face a sever sentence, unless she has a very rich family to back her.

And then Im sure she will face a sever sentence, unless she has a very rich family to back her.

Therein lies the problem as we all know. Another poster said the families of the deceased have been offered big money to "not press charges". Surely with an incident of this gravity, the only way to send some kind of message to irresponsible thoughtless stupid drunken drivers in Thailand is for the police to prosecute regardless of insurance companies payouts, otherwise there is no effective policing and this kind of thing will continue to happen if people think they have a comfort zone of recourse to insurance money then everyone goes home happy......except the victims of course.

Editorial in the Bangkok paper, today we can't give link to, and a timely reminder if we think justice will be done in this horrible CM incident,it wont on past performances.

* 2013 :2 British Cyclists killed by pick up truck. Suspended 2 year sentence and a fine of 1,000 baht.

* February this year Chilean cyclist killed by pick up truck. Suspended 2 years jail sentence.

* 16 year old kills NINE people on a Bangkok expressway.Sentence 2 years in jail,suspended for 4 years,community service.

Life is cheap in Thailand.If you or your family has money you wont go to jail or you can exit the country like the Red Bull heir who killed a policeman.He only has to bide his time in Hong Kong or wherever the scum bag is now and he can return in time and face no charhges

"Currently being treated in hospital for a broken arm" ?? The accident happened on Sunday and its now Thursday. A broken arm, leg, or wrist etc would generally be dealt with and back home same day !!......Police said theyre awaiting her recovery before she appears in court. So cant she appear with her arm in a plaster cast then?

Perhaps I have a suspicious mind, but the possible dragging of feet seems a bit fishy??

Did you watch the video that was posted here on first page ?

Yuu could clearly see the girl almost unconscious and with half of the car on top of her. I am surprised she escaped this with only a broken arm . She probably needs time to recover at the hospital . And then Im sure she will face a sever sentence, unless she has a very rich family to back her.

As sparkles has just demonstrated with his post there are no severe punishments for road accidents even ones causing death. Its something you get fined for and not a big fine either. This girls punishment really will be any guilt she feels and shame. Fine will be paid by her parents. She might have to pack her bags and relocate to Bangkok or wherever and she may miss her hometown and friends.

As sparkles has just demonstrated with his post there are no severe punishments for road accidents even ones causing death. Its something you get fined for and not a big fine either. This girls punishment really will be any guilt she feels and shame. Fine will be paid by her parents. She might have to pack her bags and relocate to Bangkok or wherever and she may miss her hometown and friends.

Why???

Someone else said this too, she might have to move ...again, I ask why? I think, most people will just say everyone was "bad lucky" ...to be the driver, to be the victims, (or say they "deserved it ...it was their fate/karma") and not think much about it after that.

I think she won't go to jail either and there is no shame here in drunk driving, as far as I can tell. There does seem to be shame in admitting you can't drive, shouldn't dive, and asking for a ride, taking a taxi, doing something else. I saw a man carried to his car, by his friends, because he was too drunk to walk ...then he fell out of his car, crawled back on to the sidewalk, his friends went back and put him in again. All the time, I was asking people to not do that, get a taxi, someone else drive him ....you know, making sensible suggestions ...and a large group of Thais just made one excuse after another about how every alternative action might embarrass him. (I'm never sure if Thais are really so worried about that, or is just a great excuse to NEVER do anything ...however, it is the standard response.)

And I have seen things like above, many times here, I am not just making my opinion on one freak event.

• 2 weeks later...

But to insinuate that it's more dangerous just because these people were riding bicycles rather than motorcycles is ridiculous

Frenchman killed in South Pattaya Road Crash

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/825893-frenchman-killed-in-south-pattaya-road-crash/

I would guess that motorcycles are more dangerous, but they also go faster and serve more utility. My point is simply that some things are STATISTICALLY way more dangerous than others. Yet, the ThaiVisa crowd likes to imply that because technically speaking, bad things can happen anywhere, incidence rates don't matter.

Archived