Three cyclists killed, two others injured when hit by speeding car

Lite Beer

Just seen the aftermath of this via Youlike on Facebook, its got 164,000 views and over 4000 shares. Thai people are well aware of the dangers of drinking and driving but they just dont give a shit....there's even 20,000 " Likes "

What i found disturbing was the amount of traffic driving "through" the scene of the crash minute's after it happened. Cars's and trucks literally swerving around bodies on the side of the road and the car on it's roof in the middle of the road with the driver lay on her back screaming...these people are most likely witness's to what happened but it seems they don't want to get involved...almost like they too don't give a shit and feel it's best to just let other's sort it out.

Without education and harsh penalties being properly enforced this sort of thing will continue to happen on regular basis...i think we all know that's not gonna happen any time soon.......R.I.P to those that lost there live's

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There seems to be this total lack of accountability in Thailand which gives the go ahead for irresponsible behaviour. Will the drunk driver even feel any remorse for her actions, or will she put the blame on the cyclists?

Couldn't agree more with this statement.... There really is such a lack of accountability that for the most part people are free to do what they want without care for others, its only when something bad happens that a few stop and realise how crazy and screwed up this lack of accountability is. Many (Thai and Western) will just accept fate and accept that this is Thailand....

It really is such a shame that a country of so many wonderful people is also so openly careless when it comes to such matters which readily lead to tragedy.

The question on the agenda is how connected is he or he's a nobody, make a hell of a different

to the remaining of his life right now...

It's a her isn't it

"The car driver was identified as Patchuada Jairuean, 23. Police said she appeared drunk."

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I hope they string her up on the gallows for this.

Just terrible news indeed.

Read that her blood alcohol level was 67.

That's not even over the limit in many countries including Malaysia, Singapore and the USA.

It's not like she was completely wasted.

Just that Thailand has a relatively strict limit, combined with really lax enforcement.

Through her reckless driving several people are dead.

What difference does it make whether 67 is over / not over the limit in any country?

This really saddens me as a fellow Chiang Mai cyclist. Here's the YouTube vid, not for the squeamish https://youtu.be/BFhIQZd0raU

Jeezuz @@fin christ that was horrible. I think we saw all 3 of the dead. Also, was that the murdering student trapped under the roof/window of the car? If so... Good. She can also feel some of the pain that she inflicted on the dead and injured and their families.

Drunk or sober, makes no difference to the cyclists those dead and those alive. Bad driving , so bad was her driving that not only did she hit cyclists but got trapped by her upturned car, I hope her tather has no influence on the outcome.

The true figure for road deaths, is not known. Because only people who die at the scene are included. The figure is somewhere about 25,000. Thailand could be leading the world as No1 road deaths. They have good to be good at something!

I hope they string her up on the gallows for this.

Just terrible news indeed.

Read that her blood alcohol level was 67.

That's not even over the limit in many countries including Malaysia, Singapore and the USA.

It's not like she was completely wasted.

Just that Thailand has a relatively strict limit, combined with really lax enforcement.

That doesn't make it any better. Pissed or not what was she doing driving like that?

Here is the alcohol level and the respective levels of difference between driving on zero...... .03 to .12 Feeling of increased confidence, sense of daring. Look flushed or red in face. Trouble with fine actions, such writing.

.09 to .25 Trouble seeing or focusing, slow reactions, sleepy, stumble often or lose balance easily.

I tried that riding against the flow of traffic i was run off the road by a motorbike come deep fat fryer going in the same direction. We all have too be honest here the roads are dangerous. If anyone has been on a Thai round about they know there's no right of way.

Extremely sad.. I am also an avid cyclist, have been for over 30 years. Most of that time I was on road bikes but I did get into off road mountain bike riding for awhile. I have lived in Thailand for about 9 years now, the last 4 in East Pattaya near Lake Mapbhrachan and Siam Country Club which is a great area for Cycling and before that in Bkk which is horrible place for cycling.. I ride loops of between 30 to 50Km and I will sometimes ride very late at night and so far not any problems but of course something like this accident can happen at anytime.. My biggest fear I suppose but for the most part I find Thai drivers treat me with the same leeway they give scooters. In the last few years I have seen sport cycling getting very popular Thailand. I hope this tragic event and others that have preceded it will make drivers be more cautious towards cyclist.. As others have said I try and pay attention, I never wear a headset and can often hear a speeding car approaching from the rear and then I slow down move as far to the left as possible and prepare to propel myself out of harms way.. fortunately I have not had to try and propel myself yet.. and hope I never have to..

Drunk at 630am? Maybe she had a medical problem, like diabetes. This is tragic, but get the details before trying and executing her in the court of public opinion.

Remember the under age driver with no licsense in Bangkok, killed nine people. Just a slap on the wrist

Ahhh, the wonders of the patronage system. If you know the right people, you can get away with just about anything.

I think just about all of the TVF community realize that not only is the prevailing 'lack of social responsibility with regard to driving here' seriously dangerous and probably the greatest threat to our sustained/continued life in Thailand. However, how do we do anything other than leave? There is much more concern for how to get lottery pricing right than for enacting a fix for this issue.

Drunk at 630am? Maybe she had a medical problem, like diabetes. This is tragic, but get the details before trying and executing her in the court of public opinion.

She was tested and had an alcohol level of 67.

Suriyan said the black Toyota car was found capsized on its roof at the scene. The 23-year-old alleged driver and student, Patchuda Jairuean, had a broken arm. Police claimed she was drunk when her car crashed into the bicycle rally. They also suspect she may have fallen asleep while driving.

They said blood/alcohol tests showed Patchuda had 67 milligrams per cent of alcohol in her bloodstream - beyond the legal limit of 50mg.

Nationmultimedia

Sad that someone had to die, maybe now some common sense will be absorbed.Sorry, these groups of cyclists, usually riding in pairs, cause serious traffic blockage whichever country they are in. This is Thailand. The driving standards are low (an understatement), drivers patience is low. A group this large is an accident waiting to happen. Why can't they cycle single file on the hard shoulder? Far less risk. I often encounter a small group of fully kitted out sport cyclists in the Sattahip/Pattaya area. They cycle in pairs, about 30 kph ish. Sometimes actually on the highway. If the traffic is heavy, as it is a lot of the time, they cause considerable inconvenience and frustration to normal road users. They are Farang. They are an accident waiting to happen. If I seem non PC about this, tough shit. I hated them in the UK , I detest them here in Thailand. Ride single file, don't irritate the bigger , quicker, denizens of the highways. I don't own the road, but I at least pay to use it, and I get very frustrated when my journeys are impeded by gaggles of cyclists. I expect a lot of flack from this comment. Boll*cks. When I encounter 'real' cyclists travelling from A to B for a purpose I treat them with caution. Groups of cyclists I avoid, but I get a little frustrated when they impede my progress.

Archived