Three cyclists killed, two others injured when hit by speeding car

Lite Beer

Bikes are legal vehicles that have every right to be on the road. Drivers of large vehicles should pass them cautiously, Almost all the bike riders I have seen are more professional than automobile drivers here. They have proper bikes,wear safety gear and keep to the left.

It was the automobile industry that took away pedestrian rights. Seems like you cannot even walk anywhere, safely. Even crossing the road is a hazard. Cars actually speed up or judge their distance to prevent you from even attempting to cross. Lack of empathy is the main diagnosis. Years ago, bicycles were common transportation here..now people look at them as non entities....or sitting ducks waiting to get hit. Not the case.

I think most automobile drivers here should have their licenses revoked...and be made to ride bicycles. Driving is a privilege...not a right.

" their licences revoked" sorry what licenses.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the enforcement being a bit tighter now, I've had friends stay over. The fine is 10,000 baht for having over 50 in a breathalyzer test. People, at least the more responsible ones, in Chiang Mai are getting worried about being fined. BTW- 3 times and the license is pulled plus jail time.

In theory only.......

More often it's Bt 2000 to the copper.....and go....no reciepts

Drunk at 630am? Maybe she had a medical problem, like diabetes. This is tragic, but get the details before trying and executing her in the court of public opinion.

Yes. Suppose "medical problem" could be an answer. However, the Inspector Clouseau inside me leads me to suggest the possibility of drinking all night then departure from somewhere like Spicy or Lucky Bar at six in the morning being a slightly more likely scenario.

Theres a strange irony isnt there, that allegedly the reason Spicy and Lucky Bar are permitted to stay open all night is because they might be owned by police officers, and then when customers drive home after drinking all night, its probably more junior police officers who have to deal with the consequences!

Think about it !

Sad that someone had to die, maybe now some common sense will be absorbed.Sorry, these groups of cyclists, usually riding in pairs, cause serious traffic blockage whichever country they are in. This is Thailand. The driving standards are low (an understatement), drivers patience is low. A group this large is an accident waiting to happen. Why can't they cycle single file on the hard shoulder? Far less risk. I often encounter a small group of fully kitted out sport cyclists in the Sattahip/Pattaya area. They cycle in pairs, about 30 kph ish. Sometimes actually on the highway. If the traffic is heavy, as it is a lot of the time, they cause considerable inconvenience and frustration to normal road users. They are Farang. They are an accident waiting to happen. If I seem non PC about this, tough shit. I hated them in the UK , I detest them here in Thailand. Ride single file, don't irritate the bigger , quicker, denizens of the highways. I don't own the road, but I at least pay to use it, and I get very frustrated when my journeys are impeded by gaggles of cyclists. I expect a lot of flack from this comment. Boll*cks. When I encounter 'real' cyclists travelling from A to B for a purpose I treat them with caution. Groups of cyclists I avoid, but I get a little frustrated when they impede my progress.

It is sad indeed and I truly hope this brings light to the masses here. I am not optimistic.

It seems you are King of the road. I have nothing but bad things to say to you regarding your idiotic comment as I am certain every other cyclist does.

I ask you, what if it was a small group of women pushing baby carriages? Would this 1 minute delay in your so busy life frustrate you?

Ok, I really need to stop spending any more time on you... you are wasting precious time in my life I shall never get back.

With the enforcement being a bit tighter now, I've had friends stay over. The fine is 10,000 baht for having over 50 in a breathalyzer test. People, at least the more responsible ones, in Chiang Mai are getting worried about being fined. BTW- 3 times and the license is pulled plus jail time.

Since when has not having a license bothered the Thais?

That will be a 3000 bhat fine Miss. Now be on your merry way...

I hope you're not being serious.

Okay if the police don't prosecute they way they should, then surely the families of the deceased can sue the pants off this girl's family?

Two were in their 60s and one was 40 so I'm sure their families would have the financial means to take on her her on financially and sue her (and her father or mother is that's possible for raising such a dimwit ) for the maximum amount of compensation. Maybe the bike club should consider a class action suit.

Interested to know why you think HER family are responsible for HER actions, she is 23!

Would you want to pay if your son or daughter at 23 had done this?

It is totally wrong and she deserves to pay, but her family?

Sad that someone had to die, maybe now some common sense will be absorbed.Sorry, these groups of cyclists, usually riding in pairs, cause serious traffic blockage whichever country they are in. This is Thailand. The driving standards are low (an understatement), drivers patience is low. A group this large is an accident waiting to happen. Why can't they cycle single file on the hard shoulder? Far less risk. I often encounter a small group of fully kitted out sport cyclists in the Sattahip/Pattaya area. They cycle in pairs, about 30 kph ish. Sometimes actually on the highway. If the traffic is heavy, as it is a lot of the time, they cause considerable inconvenience and frustration to normal road users. They are Farang. They are an accident waiting to happen. If I seem non PC about this, tough shit. I hated them in the UK , I detest them here in Thailand. Ride single file, don't irritate the bigger , quicker, denizens of the highways. I don't own the road, but I at least pay to use it, and I get very frustrated when my journeys are impeded by gaggles of cyclists. I expect a lot of flack from this comment. Boll*cks. When I encounter 'real' cyclists travelling from A to B for a purpose I treat them with caution. Groups of cyclists I avoid, but I get a little frustrated when they impede my progress.

Ahh the angry western motorist, "hate them" "pay for it" hey? Take your western crushed and agro mindset elsewhere.

What about the myriad of sidecar motocys? they are everywhere, go slow and are wide, do you threaten them with your car aswell?

To me , I would have to say, your post is somewhat interesting and telling. It could read that you , as king of the world, are to dictate to all others, all those menials , and that is everyone by your standards, what they should do, and say. It might be nice to show some concern and consideration for others. I know, I know,,,,, thought never crossed your mind.....well that is your opinion and I do sincerely believe you are entitled to it.... and I respect your right to have it....

Now my opinion which I also ask you to respect..... Stuff It ! !

My thought and prayers go out to those who are suffering the long lasting pain from this sorrowful incident.

Ahh the angry western motorist, "hate them" "pay for it" hey? Take your western crushed and agro mindset elsewhere.

What about the myriad of sidecar motocys? they are everywhere, go slow and are wide, do you threaten them with your car aswell?

You don't think those riders own cars as well? Usually this type of rider does own cars, therefore they pay to use the roads, just as you do, and when using their bikes they don't pollute, but you do, they don't take up much space, but you do, and they don't ride aggressively, whereas you obviously do drive aggressively.

Groups of cyclists are easily seen - they wear colourful clothing to ensure that . Too hard for you to wait a bit? Too hard for you to put your foot on the brake?

Get real mate, your comments are a disgrace. Think through your attitude before you make a fool of yourself again!

I ride a push bike and own two registered vehicles. Don't tell me I'm not paying for it!!

The unlicensed, uninsured, teenage female student driving an untaxed car who took me out (3 operations, about a million baht of costs)... Was fined 500b by the police.

The unlicensed, uninsured, teenage female student driving an untaxed car who took me out (3 operations, about a million baht of costs)... Was fined 500b by the police.

Shicking but Didnt you or the insurance co sue her?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i have just seen a terrible video of this tragic accident.with lorrries and cars weaving round the sad bodies, totally no repect,yes i think we all know the outcome of this event without going into details, we see these various accidents but never get to see the outcome of the guilty parties, so in my eyes . i like to see justice being done, too much to ask methinks in the Land of Smiles

Whilst I agree with some previous comments about some cyclists who seem to take up a large amount of space on the road, as a fellow road user you always have to be aware or your surroundings and react accordingly. Yes I too get very frustrated when cyclists are 2, 3 or more abreast. Making a driver of a 4 wheel vehicle frustrated is probably not the wisest thing to do when you are on a 2 wheel bicycle... Hence when I'm on my MTB and going for a cycle with my GF. I insist that we always stay in single file.

I find it extremely ironic that when a car hits a cyclist, that sometimes the driver says they didn't see the cyclist. And yet should a small animal like a mother duck be crossing a road with a family of ducklings, every driver sees them and avoids them at all cost, not wanting to hurt the animals. Sometimes that too results in nasty vehicular accidents.

Accidents are never good, especially when there is loss of life and or serious injury. And that is amplified when it is all avoidable due to some selfish action of one person. This is one of those occasions. RIP to the deceased and condolences to the relatives

I find it extremely ironic that when a car hits a cyclist, that sometimes the driver says they didn't see the cyclist. And yet should a small animal like a mother duck be crossing a road with a family of ducklings, every driver sees them and avoids them at all cost, not wanting to hurt the animals. Sometimes that too results in nasty vehicular accidents.

Drivers who constantly road rage seem to especially have a bug up their butt about cyclists but this accident does not appear to be an example of that.

so much for riding a bike general this woman should be severely dealt with a car is classed as a lethal weapon and in this case it was and this drunken woman should be charged with causing death by dangerous driving. a life for a life or a life behind bars.

Can't think of a more appropriate reason for a death penalty if found guilty.

But that won't happen of course, it's not premeditated murder, it's causing death whilst driving under the influence.

I'd like her to die in prison though (if found guilty).

Just seen the aftermath of this via Youlike on Facebook, its got 164,000 views and over 4000 shares. Thai people are well aware of the dangers of drinking and driving but they just dont give a shit....there's even 20,000 " Likes "

What i found disturbing was the amount of traffic driving "through" the scene of the crash minute's after it happened. Cars's and trucks literally swerving around bodies on the side of the road and the car on it's roof in the middle of the road with the driver lay on her back screaming...these people are most likely witness's to what happened but it seems they don't want to get involved...almost like they too don't give a shit and feel it's best to just let other's sort it out.

Without education and harsh penalties being properly enforced this sort of thing will continue to happen on regular basis...i think we all know that's not gonna happen any time soon.......R.I.P to those that lost there live's

I thought the same thing about the traffic driving through and not stopping to offer any assistance, obviously they had more important things to do.How could you do that ?

We travel the Samoeng loop road quite often, a favourite route for cyclists, and often see motorists busting their necks to get past a group of cyclists who are riding correctly in single file.

You nailed it with the lack of education, the greatest source of most of Thailand's problems in all areas.

When will a witness come forward I wonder,that saw the event from the start

There already have based on reports in other media sources.

Media reports,has an independent witness stated what they observed from the start of the crash.?.

When will a witness come forward I wonder,that saw the event from the start

There already have based on reports in other media sources.

Media reports,has an independent witness stated what they observed from the start of the crash.?.

Yes, but it is in the BP. Probably other media reports, especially Thai media, but I don't have time to search them all out.

Many posts in this and the other thread that was closed down referred to the probability this driver will escape harsh punishment. Why should this be so? Surely this is different in that it has severely impacted the lives of 5 families?

After a proper investigation has been concluded to establish the facts and determine the extent to which she was at fault, is it likely the family’s of the five deceased will vent their anger to those responsible for prosecution to the fullest extent? (i.e. the police and/or the public prosecutor). Is this likely to happen here and if not why not?

In many places I can think of this would definitely happen if they thought someone was going to escape the consequences of their actions. If this doesn't happen in Thailand is it because of culture or what?

I hope you're not being serious.

Okay if the police don't prosecute they way they should, then surely the families of the deceased can sue the pants off this girl's family?

Two were in their 60s and one was 40 so I'm sure their families would have the financial means to take on her her on financially and sue her (and her father or mother is that's possible for raising such a dimwit ) for the maximum amount of compensation. Maybe the bike club should consider a class action suit.

Interested to know why you think HER family are responsible for HER actions, she is 23!

Would you want to pay if your son or daughter at 23 had done this?

It is totally wrong and she deserves to pay, but her family?

Simply because she is only 23 is very unlikely she would have any meaningful resources of her own. So what happens then?

In lieu of payment of whatever compensation was deemed appropriate to the 5 families it was determined she should serve jail time that's when I could see her family stepping in to bail her out.

Extremely sad.. I am also an avid cyclist, have been for over 30 years. Most of that time I was on road bikes but I did get into off road mountain bike riding for awhile. I have lived in Thailand for about 9 years now, the last 4 in East Pattaya near Lake Mapbhrachan and Siam Country Club which is a great area for Cycling and before that in Bkk which is horrible place for cycling.. I ride loops of between 30 to 50Km and I will sometimes ride very late at night and so far not any problems but of course something like this accident can happen at anytime.. My biggest fear I suppose but for the most part I find Thai drivers treat me with the same leeway they give scooters. In the last few years I have seen sport cycling getting very popular Thailand. I hope this tragic event and others that have preceded it will make drivers be more cautious towards cyclist.. As others have said I try and pay attention, I never wear a headset and can often hear a speeding car approaching from the rear and then I slow down move as far to the left as possible and prepare to propel myself out of harms way.. fortunately I have not had to try and propel myself yet.. and hope I never have to..

" and can often hear a speeding car approaching from the rear "

Do you have bicycle mirrors? And if not why not?

Archived