The Scotland Thread

Jockstar

Now that Smith has gone back to Rangers, the SFA much search for his successor. There are some decent Scottish managers around like Sir Alex, Davie Moyes and Billy Davies is doing well at Derby. But none of them will be likely to take it.

The worrying thing is that Souness is still out of a job and knowing the SFA they like to promote from within so that would mean Tommy Burns getting the job. :o

In addition to that there is also Alex McLeish, Gary Mcallister and Kenny Dalglish out of work.

In all likeliness Tommy Burns will probably get the job but looking at the options I would rather that we went for McLeish or bring back King Kenny. :D

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Souness would be better suited to the national setup. There is certainly no doubting his passion and that was the big difference when Smith came in. McLeish would be another option but I just don't see that same fire (and I am a great admirer of his).

On another point I think it is totally disgraceful the way the SFA treated Walter Smith, I read yesterday that he said that he would not have given the Rangers offer any thought if he didn't have a contract that expired in November !

19 January 2007

SFA DIDN'T WANT ME

Burns quits over Scotland snub...

By Hugh Keevins

TOMMY BURNS walked away from the Scotland job yesterday because he didn't feel wanted by the SFA.

He also got out because he refused to be No.2 to a third different manager and was made to think Celtic wanted him more than the national team did.

Burns resigned in a morning phone call to Hampden but it was the total lack of communication with the SFA since Walter Smith's departure for Rangers last week that convinced him he was wasting his time.

The ex-international midfielder's five years of service behind the scenes with Smith and Berti Vogts was repaid with a wall o silence from SFA chief executive David Taylor and the board charged with the responsibility of appointing the new national team manager.

Burns had already made up his mind in the wake of Smith's move to Ibrox that he wouldn't work as an assistant to anybody else and that it was now or never for the Scotland job in his own right.

He said: "I found it a bit disappointing that no contact was made by the SFA after Walter Smith left the Scotland job.

Advertisement

"But Celtic's chief executive and Gordon Strachan spoke to me and told me how much they wanted me to stay with the club.

"I didn't want to be No.2 to a third Scotland manager and now I look forward to working with Celtic at our new training complex in Lennoxtown."

Last night Taylor issued a brief statement that said: " Tommy has made a substantial contribution to the success of the Scotland team.

"He is a popular and respected figure who offered encouragement and stability for the team at a difficult period.

"I would like to thank Tommy for the hard work he has put into the Scotland team since he came on board in 2002.

"Clearly there was always going to be disruption and change to the national team in the wake of Walter's departure and Tommy's decision is one aspect of that."

When Record Sport attempted to get a fuller response to Burns' departure from the chief executive, the SFA's chief press officer Andy Mitchell said: "Tommy wasn't an SFA employee. He was a Celtic employee who worked for the SFA on a game-by-game basis."

It was that lack of warmth which ultimately drove Burns from the back-up role he enjoyed with Scotland.

Talks with Celtic manager Strachan and the club's chief executive Peter Law well in recent days had convinced him they were keener to have him stay than the SFA were to get him on board on a permanent basis.

Burns decided to go now rather than face the possibility of being rejected after his SFA interview for the team manager's job.

If he has resigned in the wake of not getting the Scotland job, Burns suspected he'd be accused of sour grapes.

So he pre-empted embarrassment by getting out with his dignity intact.

Last night Burns preferred to dwell on how much his association with Scotland had meant to him rather than his disappointment at being overlooked for the big job.

He said: "I won eight caps for my country and every one of them was cherished.

"It was my misfortune to play in an era of so many talented players that I couldn't get any more international honours.

"My only regret is that I was overlooked for the squad that went to Spain for the World Cup finals in 1982 because I always felt I could have learned so much from that experience, both as a player and as a man.

"But I did get the thrill of playing for Scotland against England at Wembley and I'll be eternally grateful to Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown for letting me realise every schoolboy's dream.

"The experience only lasted 12 minutes but it will live with me forever."

• 1 month later...

Not really about the national team but i thought I'd put it in here.

ecord Sport FOOTBALL

8 March 2007

CLUBS SET TO WALK ON D-DAY FOR SPL II

By Chris Roberts

REBELLIOUS First Division clubs are poised to call for a vote of no confidence in the Scottish Football League today.

A meeting at Hampden to discuss the report, prepared by accountants Parnell Kerr Foster, that said the SFL is outdated and too costly will be used to press for an extraordinary general meeting to propose revolutionary change.

If the clubs intent on forming SPL2 don't get their way, Record Sport understands they will formally resign from the league this afternoon and go their own way.

A two-year notice period to quit the SFL is required under their constitution but the ringleaders for change believe a breakaway can't afford to wait that long.

Last night a First Division rebel said: "We will highlight the incompetence of the SFL as reasonable grounds for going now and if they don't like that then they can sue us."

A bloody legal battle could be avoided if the clubs are allowed to vote for SPL2 this afternoon at Hampden and two-thirds are in favour of averting what the First Division insider declared was: "an accident waiting to happen".

Advertisement

SPL chairman Lex Gold and chief executive Ian Blair will attend today's meeting at the National Stadium because they have a mandate from the 12 clubs in the Premier League to make SPL2 happen.

The insider said: "We're looking for the opportunity to change the shape of Scottish football. The SFL in its present state is a ticking bomb waiting to explode.

"We've already been in talks with the SPL and they've assured us that, even though it might be tight, SPL2 could be in place for the start of next season.

"The clubs pressing for change are always being accused of acting out of nothing other than self-interest but that's just nonsense.

"The SFL isn't working and the financial report prepared by Parnell Kerr Foster highlighted as much."

The SFL was said in the report to take twice as much money to run as England's Nationwide Conference, despite the fact the English set-up contains three times as many clubs.

The insider said: "What we're getting from the SFL is the 'circle the wagons' mentality'.

"But unless there is radical change we're heading for part time football throughout the First Division and what good will that do for the betterment of the game of football in Scotland as a whole?

"Absolutely nothing is happening to grow the business in the First Division.

"There is no sponsorship and no television coverage, only a siege mentality where ideas should be.

"The SFL simply isn't working and the time for burying heads in the sand has finally to come to an end."

That's why there could be revolution in the air at Hampden this afternoon.

From soccernet.

First Division to split from Scottish League?

First Division clubs could break from the Scottish Football League this summer, according to Scottish Premier League executive chairman Lex Gold.

Gold met about 14 SFL clubs earlier today to discuss proposals for an SPL2 and sensed an 'energy' to move the plans forward.

The SPL, who are involved with a dispute with the SFL over a financial settlement for the remaining clubs, had proposed the new-look structure to start in August 2008.

But Gold revealed some clubs hoped to have the new system - which would see the 12-team top flight and a 10-team SPL2 - in place by the start of next season.

Teams would be admitted on 'sporting merit', he added, with no suggestion any of the Second Division clubs involved in talks would be parachuted in to the expanded SPL.

The First Division clubs remained in discussion after Gold left his Hampden offices tonight.

Gold said he believed an August 2008 start was 'do-able' but added: 'There was a feeling in the room amongst some of them that they want to move quicker.

'Others had more modest aspirations. It would be difficult.'

The SPL are in dispute with the SFL over the financial settlement should the plan happen.

The SPL currently give £1.6million a season to the SFL clubs and wants to reduce that to just more than £1million.

Gold said; 'The next step for us is we're waiting for the SFA to arbitrate on our disagreement with the SFL.

'We have an element of frustration that the process in Scottish football always grinds exceedingly slow.

'We believe there is a need to improve the top level of our game.

'The gap between ourselves and the First Division will grow unless that is addressed.

'Some of the frustration we have had is we put forward our proposals on August 17.

'Just under eight months on there have been no substantive discussions about the proposals.'

But he stressed the ball was in the court of the clubs.

Gold added: 'It's a matter for them and not for us - we are not in the business of trying to shape things.'

• 3 weeks later...
Scotland were a bit fortunate to win against Georgia.

yip, it was one of those games spent yelling at the TV. some shocking scottish misses.

slightly out of character ending to the match - scotland are usually on the receiving end of a last-gasp winner :D . maybe we are meant to qualify after all...

bring on the azzuri!! :D:o

• 4 months later...

Only a friendly. But still always good to win. :o

Scotland 1-0 South Africa: Boyd saves blushes

Any lingering doubts over Kris Boyd's goalscoring ability were banished when the Scotland striker claimed the only goal of the game in tonight's friendly victory over South Africa at Pittodrie.

JulianFinney/GettyImages

Kris Boyd fires home the winning goal

A lacklustre start to the season by the Rangers forward was well-documented, before he ended his mini goal-famine during last week's 7-2 win over Falkirk in the Premier League.

That strike was not enough to force him into Alex McLeish's starting line-up tonight, but Boyd answered his critics yet again when he bounded off the bench to provide one of the few highlights of an otherwise drab match.

His 71st-minute goal earned the Scots their first friendly win on home soil since the 4-1 victory against Trinidad & Tobago at Easter Road in 2004 - and provides a confidence boost for next month's Euro 2008 qualifying double-header against Lithuania and France.

• McLeish hails 'super-sub' Boyd

McLeish's decision to rest experienced campaigners such as Barry Ferguson, Lee McCulloch, David Weir, Paul Hartley and Gary Naysmith allowed him the opportunity to experiment with his squad.

Derby's Jay McEveley earned his first cap at left-back, while Alan Hutton made his first start for Scotland on the other flank.

The visit of the South Africans also proved to be a worthwhile exercise for James McFadden, deprived of international football because of a broken foot since last October's visit to the Ukraine.

However, it was was Carlos Alberto Parreira's men - rated 7-1 by the bookies - who looked worthy of a punt early on.

Sibusiso Zuma forced Russell Anderson to surrender possession on the edge of the box, allowing the loose ball to be collected by Siyabonga Nkosi - only for the Arminia Bielefeld man to screw wide of the upright.

Anderson's return to Pittodrie was proving to be less than fruitful, and he was responsible for a crude challenge on Zuma minutes later - resulting in the player leaving the pitch on a stretcher.

The injury will no doubt be a concern for South Africa for next month's qualifier against Zambia in Cape Town, with a draw needed to book their place at the 2008 African Cup of Nations.

Despite the loss of one of their star men, Bafana Bafana were displaying far more fluidity than their hosts - and there were 26 minutes on the clock before Scotland had their first real opportunity. Even then, it was barely enough to raise the crowd from their seats.

Garry O'Connor directed a head-flick into the path of McFadden in acres of space in front of goal. But the Everton forward embarrassingly mis-kicked, swiping at fresh air instead.

Zuma was replaced by Siyabonga Nomvethe, a player offered to McLeish while at Rangers.

A well-placed cross from Bradley Carnell was floated on to Nomvethe, who bulleted a powerful header inches over the bar. Craig Gordon was then called into action to paw an angled drive from the forward to safety.

The Scots could have snatched the opener before the break. But McFadden's 25-yard free-kick did little to trouble Rowen Fernandez in the South Africa goal, fizzing well over the bar.

It was McFadden's last contribution to the match before being replaced by Stephen Pearson at half-time.

The second half also began in uninspiring fashion.

Scott Brown failed to deal with an Nkosi cross - allowing Delron Buckley a crack at goal - but Anderson was well-placed to block.

Then came Scotland's first effort on target. O'Connor punted into the path of Kenny Miller, who provided one of the few exciting moments of the evening with an ambitious overhead kick which was smothered by Fernandez.

A flurry of substitutions followed.

Dundee United captain Barry Robson made his debut, replacing Gary Caldwell. Miller and O'Connor then made way for Boyd and Craig Beattie to add some spice to the attack.

The plan worked, and Boyd grabbed the opener after just three minutes on the pitch. Stand-in captain Darren Fletcher put the ball over the top of the South Africa defence, and it was gratefully pounced upon by Boyd who rifled into the top corner with 71 minutes gone.

Robson then proved worthy of his first cap when a timely intervention on the line prevented Thembinkosi Fanteni's header from nestling in the back of the net.

• McLeish hails 'super-sub' Boyd

Scotland manager Alex McLeish watched Kris Boyd claim the only goal of the game in tonight's friendly against South Africa - then placed him in the same bracket as prolific strikers Ally McCoist and Tony Cottee.

McLeish - who brought Boyd to Rangers in January 2006 - is well aware the striker has suffered his fair share of criticism but insisted: 'We have seen similar strikers throughout history, players like Coisty and Tony Cottee.

'People were always looking for something more, something extra. But these guys will put the ball in the back of the net and players like that are few and far between.

'I had hoped the substitutes would make an impact and Boyd more than did that. It was a great goal.'

Boyd's goal tally for Scotland has been impressive and McLeish added: 'Six goals in 10 games is a great record and the competition is intensifying for front places.

'We said last year that we didn't have an out-and-out goalscorer but Kenny Miller has scored a few, Craig Beattie looked bright and Boyd came up trumps again.'

Derby's Jay McEveley and Dundee United skipper Barry Robson both made their international debuts, while Alan Hutton of Rangers earned his first start for Scotland.

McLeish said: 'Jay McEveley didn't do himself any harm and Barry Robson never looked fazed. I also thought Alan Hutton was excellent. I think we can take a lot from tonight's game.'

The one sour point of the evening was the sight of South Africa striker Sibusiso Zuma leaving the pitch on a stretcher following a crunching tackle from behind from Russell Anderson.

South Africa coach Carlos Alberto Parreira was unhappy with the challenge but McLeish defended the Sunderland defender.

He said: 'I asked Mr Parreira how Zuma was and he said he was okay. He didn't say anything to me about the tackle. It was a strong tackle but it happens in the game.

'I don't think Russell Anderson is a malicious player. He has been hard but fair throughout his career.'

But Parreira insisted: 'The game was mostly played in a very fair manner but a foul like that shouldn't happen in the game.

'We lost our best striker after 10 minutes and we missed him a lot. He has scored five goals in our last three or four games and we lost that power.

'We had many chances but could not finish them.'

However, Parreira - who led Brazil to World Cup glory as a coach in 1994 - backed the Scots to qualify for next summer's European Championships.

He said: 'They are doing well in a very tough group, which also includes France, Italy, Georgia and Ukraine.

'Scotland still have a possibility of qualifying but they have to go with their own style, which is a very direct game.'

hammer lithuania at hampden, teach the french a lesson in their own back yard, home win against ukraine and complete the double over georgia.....

thats it, we'll be through before the italy match.

:o

hi all. relatively new to the board and hoping to be in thailand around october/november. does anybody know if the scotland games will be televised and if so on what channel? thanks.

Sometimes they are on. Since we are playing big opposition then it may be on UBC. Not sure though. My mate has a pub in Sukhumvit soi 7 called The Winking Frog in Bangkok and he was saying he was getting SA sattelite tv so may even be on that. Sorry i cant be of anymore help mate. As i'm in Oz now.

• 2 weeks later...
Scotland 3 Lithuania 1

faddy and maloney saved the day. I personally would've had both on from the start - the side was looking far too sluggish before their introduction.

got the 3 points anyway.

france, italy & ukraine all drew.

it's gonna happen.... :o

I really hope so. A win or a draw for us against France will do us nicely. I'd prefer the win. COME ON!!!

MON SCOTLAND!

Has anyone worked out if the game is on anywhere, can't miss this one. As we can't even access the radio feeds outside the UK now, and my internet is broken at the moment anyway, my only hope is one of the UBC channels, or a kind Scottish landlord with a pub that's showing it on another sat platform who would have a lock in for the tartan army lads.

Cheers

MG

Just checked the True Visions website. Not on! :o England v Russia is on Star Sports instead. Can't believe it, Star showing such a dull match over what will be an awesome game between group leaders France and Scotland!!

Doubt its worth waiting up and checking the live scores on mobile device! But we'll see how I feel later.

Sad.

Archived