The Scotland Thread

Jockstar

Where's Wales , Northern Ireland & Rep. Ireland ? Or don't the rankings go that far up ?? :o

32 Republic of Ireland

36 Northern Ireland

53 Wales

Surprised me there to be honest, I thought they were out of sight.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet the frog players are loving this :o

France coach Raymond Domench has ordered his players to study James McFadden's long-range striking ability. Domenech wants his stars to start hitting shots from 30 yards or more instead of trying to walk the ball into the net. (Various)

Come on! We can do it. This from Chick Young.

Scottish football is purring like a contented cat. Is there no end to this?

Hopefully not, but the history of the game dictates that seldom, if ever, do club and international football go hand in hand toward glory in the highest.

You might argue that in 1967 - when Celtic were winning the European Cup, Rangers were in the Cup-Winners' Cup final, Kilmarnock were having a right good tilt at the Fairs Cup and Scotland were ripping the knitting out of World Champions England - that here was a case in point.

But the truth is that the Wembley wizardry was a flash in the toilet pan of a time for our international team, which would take a further seven years to qualify for the finals of a major competition.

Now, though, is the time to rewrite history. Clubs and country - we are all in this march to glory together.

Scotland and Celtic were on a high back in 1967

Scotland cannot fail now. They just can't do this to us.

Once we were hopeless and hapless; now we are hopeful and happy. Delirious with joy actually.

Our team cannot fail us now. They cannot take us to the brink, teasing us with the prospect of our first finals in a decade and then disappear into the night like some flirt who raised then dashed your fantasies.

A nation, ladies and gentlemen, is holding its collective breath as our destiny is sealed at Hampden and in Tbilisi.

The beating pulse of our game is thundering with power at the moment because we gave ourselves our game back.

A decade or so ago, Scottish talent was being strangled. We will always embrace in this country a glorious talent like Henrik Larsson or Brian Laudrup, but exotic foreign names don't necessarily bring big ability.

Dick Advocaat's Rangers' team - with the notable exception of Barry Ferguson - did little about nursing Scottish youth. Our leagues were peppered with workmanlike foreigners who were no better - and in many cases much worse - than Scottish kids desperate for a chance.

That's not racism, it's a fact. And if the international game is to continue at all then we must protect, encourage and sharpen our own young blood.

Chairmen of the day went for instant solutions with a ######-the-future attitude that was always going to demand its payday. The game in this country has been forced to learn a painful lesson.

Scotland must hope to beat Ukraine to maintain the momentum

Of course there was much more that was wrong and continues to be so. There is still, for example, the continuing pillaging of public parks for supermarket and building use. The kids cannot play if they have nowhere to play.

But some of the dues have been paid. Throughout the land - at least in the SPL - there are glorious shoots of recovery, players who are blossoming by the day.

Down the divisions, there is work to be done. I suspect the gap between the top 12 and the rest is worse than we think. There is an outbreak of hope, but it is not yet an epidemic.

For all that, we stand on the threshold of stirring times.

If Scotland complete this business of qualification for Euro 2008 over the next month - and I can yet see us agonisingly awaiting news from Kiev the Wednesday after our final fixture when Ukraine play France - then it will have been a football miracle.

I will have it called nothing less than the greatest achievement in a century and more of the international game in this country. Nothing comes close.

My heart is thumping, my stomach in knots at what we will have to endure in Mount Florida this weekend and in Georgia four days later.

I trust that the purring will metamorphose into a roar.

well its all over 3-1...................

We'll be coming............we'll be be coming.............we'll be coming down the road..............

when you here the noise of the tartan army boys.........

we'll be coming down the road..........

:o:D:D

Well done jocks , just dont blow it against Georgia :o .

Barry Ferguson is good , but not THAT good :D :

Just stars in his eyes

ONE-TIME Everton target Barry Ferguson will never suffer a crisis of confidence.

The Scotland skipper said this week: "People always say it’s a shame someone as talented as Ryan Giggs, or George Best before him, never played in a World Cup or European Championship. I don’t want my name to be added to that list."

Barry should rest easy.

His name will never feature in a list comprising Ryan Giggs and George Best.

another step closer. :o

I was crapping myself all the way up until last minute of stoppage time.

taken from dictionary.com:

ma·gi·cian /məˈdʒɪʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[muh-jish-uhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1. an entertainer who is skilled in producing illusion by sleight of hand, deceptive devices, etc.; conjurer.

2. a person who is skilled in magic; sorcerer.

3. 24scob.jpg

Magic McFadden fills Scots with confidence

Scotland striker James McFadden fired Alex McLeish's side closer to Euro 2008 and hailed the 'incredible' confidence among the players.

JoeGiddens/Empics

Alex McLeish barks out the orders as Scotland sweep to victory over Ukraine

McFadden scored the third goal in Scotland's 3-1 qualifying victory over Ukraine at Hampden, at a time the visitors were threatening an equaliser.

The Everton striker has now hit three goals in his past three internationals for the Group B leaders.

He said: 'Going into the game today, we thought it was probably the hardest game that we've had because of the expectation levels.

'Obviously we knew we could get the three points, but the whole country was expecting us to get the three points and sometimes it's hard to live up to the expectations.

'But we knew what we could do and we went about it the right way.

'If I get chances then obviously I'll get confidence that I'll score goals. But the confidence in the squad to win games is incredible.

'It showed today again. We just keep winning and long may it continue.'

McFadden felt he should have had a first-half penalty when he was tripped in the penalty area - and claimed referee Pieter Vink had owned up to his error. 'Absolutely, but the referee's admitted his mistake to me in the second half and that's all you can ask for,' McFadden said. 'Thankfully it wasn't a big mistake and we didn't need it.'

Scotland right-back Alan Hutton was named man of the match, and played his part in the clinching goal.

It was his pass from the right which found McFadden, who took the ball well before drilling it home in the 68th minute to restore Scotland's two-goal cushion.

Early goals from Kenny Miller and Lee McCulloch had put Scotland on top, but Andriy Shevchenko's close-range half-volley gave Ukraine hope and they dominated possession for long spells.

Hutton was relieved to get through another qualifier with three points safely secured.

'It's very important,' he said. 'We knew today we needed a performance. Three points were necessary and we got them, so all the boys in there are over the moon.'

The defensive effort from Scotland was at times desperate.

'It was very hard,' said Hutton.

'They've got some great players in their team. We defended well from the front. Great credit to all the boys.'

The Rangers full-back also had a good claim for a first-half penalty but the victory meant he was not too upset to be denied.

With Georgia next for Scotland, on Wednesday, a place in the finals is closer to becoming a reality. 'We're going to go over there and expect a really tough game,' Hutton said. 'It'd be a shame to go over there and not get three points after how well we've done here, so we're going over there to win.'

Scotland sweat on Brown injury outcome

Manager McLeish is waiting to learn the extent of the problem which forced Scott Brown off in the second half.

He must already cope without McCulloch, whose booking means he must serve a suspension against the Georgians on Wednesday, and to lose Brown would present McLeish with a real problem.

'It's touch and go,' said McLeish.

'He felt his hammy (hamstring) a little bit. We hope that it's maybe just fatigue and cramp, and if it is then we'd love to have Scott Brown against the Georgians.

'If we lose him it'll be a blow because of the way the lad's playing, his energy, and his commitment to the team.'

Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher has been out of action since being injured on Scotland duty in the 1-0 win over France last month.

But if Brown is ruled out, McLeish could ask United about Fletcher's availability.

'We need time to sit down again and regroup,' McLeish said.

'I don't know if Fletcher would be allowed, I'd need to speak to Sir Alex (Ferguson) about that because their physios have been on a programme with him and he's been out for three weeks.

'I'd have thought they would be the best judges of that.'

McLeish once again hailed the performance of a team who have surprised everyone by topping their group.

'They just keep climbing up mountains and every game reinforces their confidence,' said the former Scotland defender.

'Every performance like that, the work ethic, all the ingredients were there today for everybody to see.

'I don't know how the players will be 24 hours from now, there might be one or two walking wounded and (victory) may have been at a cost so I'll keep my fingers crossed.'

Reflecting on the game today, McLeish said: 'We got off to a fantastic flyer, there's no doubt about that, but we let them back into it.

'That was disappointing, but you knew the Ukrainians were going to come into it at some stage.

'The 2-0 lead gave us a really good platform. At 2-1 it really does become a bit twitchy.'

I didn't have the chance to watch the game and I had to make do with listening to the game on the internet with Radio Clyde. That's the first time I've listened to a live commentary for years. It's even more nerve wracking because you can't see what's going on.

Anyway, we got the right result and it sounds that players like Alan Hutton and Scott Brown are coming of age. Also if James McFadden keeps on scoring he could well become the new Kenny Dalglish?? :o

One Down ..two To Go

Eck: Games Are Cup Finals

By Mark Guidi

ALEX McLEISH watched his bravehearts take a step closer to Euro 2008 by crushing Ukraine then called on his patched-up troops to keep the dream alive.

Scotland stayed top of Group B with a memorable 3-1 victory at Hampden Park yesterday.

Goals from KennyMiller, Lee McCulloch and James McFadden kept Eck's troops flying high and the Scots boss reckons we now face two cup finals - against Georgia and World Cup winners Italy.

But the win came at a cost as McCulloch and Garry O'Connor picked up bans and six other stars are struggling with knocks ahead of Wednesday's game in Georgia.

Barry Ferguson, Scott Brown, Stephen McManus, Alan Hutton, Gary Naysmith and Miller are all nursing injuries.

So McLeish has been forced to get Sir Alex Ferguson's permission to bring Manchester United star Darren Fletcher back early from injury.

The Scots boss said: "This is a big step towards qualification. We now have two cup finals left.

"We're in a position that would have been beyond the wildest dreams of anyone. But the result may have come at a cost. "Lee and Garry are suspended.

Scott Brown has a hamstring injury and Stephen McManus was concussed in the first half and needed stitches.

"Barry Ferguson, Alan Hutton and Gary Naysmith have all taken knocks and have the ice-packs on. We will be like the walking wounded in Georgia.

"It's too early to say who's in or out but we will be wrapping the players in cotton wool.

"I will look at calling in players and have already decided to bring in Darren Fletcher. Sir Alex Ferguson has given us the green light for that.

"Darren has trained all week at United and is fit to play."

Scotland have now recorded six straight wins for the first time in 58 years.

And chuffed McLeish said: "Our finishing was phenomenal and some of our defending was great. We changed our tactics from the last two home games and I'm glad it worked.

"Ukraine had a spell of possession as we knew they would and it was important for us not to panic. Bringing on Christian Dailly was the turning point.

"Faddy then scored and it's great to have an ace in the pack.

"We also had some rugged defending. McManus was a stalwart with Davie Weir and it was another towering display from Hutton. But all the lads played their part."

Gutted Ukraine boss Oleg Blokhin admitted he wanted to quit after this defeat.

He said: "Scotland wanted to win more and deserved it.

"But I'm not sure if this result guarantees them qualification.

"We can't qualify now and I want to quit. But I'm not sure if my resignation will be accepted."

4 October 2007

Klaus: It's Best Side Since The '74 Stars

By Scott Mcdermott In Genoa

GEORGIA coach Klaus Toppmoller is adamant this present Scotland team are as good as the 1974 heroes.

The German has been a Scotland supporter since watching arguably our best ever side at the '74 World Cup in Germany when they went out despite not losing a game.

And after yesterday's triumph over Ukraine he insisted stars such as Barry Ferguson, James McFadden and Kenny Miller are emulating idols like Kenny Dalglish, Billy Bremner and Joe Jordan.

Toppmoller said: "I remember the Scots side at that World Cup drawing against Brazil in Frankfurt and you had a great team.

"The supporters were amazing and everyone enjoyed watching Scotland.

"They are back to the level they were at in '74.

"Nobody in in Germany could believe how poor Scotland had become under Berti Vogts.

"They were so low and no one could understand it, including me.

"But they now have excellent players like Ferguson, McFadden, Fletcher and the keeper Craig Gordon. Their midfield is so good and defensively they are strong."

The former Bayer Leverkusen boss would love to see us reach Euro 2008 even though he's plotting our downfall on Wednesday night.

Alex McLeish's side head to Tbilisi knowing a win will leave us needing just a point against Italy to join the big boys next summer.

Toppmoller said: "I want to see Scotland at the European Championships.

"It would be a big surprise but they have the best crowd and the people in Austria and Switzerland would want Scotland to be there - more so than Italy and France.

"The Scots have the best supporters. With their singing and drinking and good fun they'd be a credit to the Euro finals.

"However, we will be trying to spoil Scotland's hopes on Wednesday night.

"We need results too and our dream is to finish above Lithuania in the group.

"It's only fair we try to beat Scotland because we attempted to do them a favour by beating Italy last night.

"We played well in Glasgow six months ago and deserved more than a 2-1 defeat. That performance gives us hope."

Archived