Man loses job because of hatred speech against cyclists

Thaivisa News

Chiang Rai:- A Facebook user has lost his job over an unkind remark that suggested he had no regard for three bicyclists killed in a drunk-driving accident.

Chiangrai Sintanee Company has terminated its employment of Wissawapol (surname withheld) from May 4 onward in response to his inappropriate verbal expression.

Wissawapol started working for the firm a month ago and had not yet passed the probation when the firm received reports of his unkind remark, according to Naewna.

“We thank all you for reporting this incident,” the company says in a statement.

On May 3, a drunk driver's car ploughed into a group of bicyclists on a Chiang Mai road killing three victims and injuring two others. Just as the accident caused dismay and grief among cyclists, Wissawapol posted a comment on his Facebook. It read, “This is a road. It’s not a place for you to do workout. You should have ridden your bicycles in a school field. Don’t cause traffic jam…You take one full traffic lane. Is your dad the owner of the road? If I had first-class car insurance, I would bring all of you down…”

Wissawapol later posted an online comment to offer his apology to all people and particularly bicyclists.

“I was ignorant in posting that inappropriate remark. Now, I am deeply sorry and would like to ask for forgiveness,” he said via the post on Monday, "I repent".

OMG...all you posters on TF with jobs...your hate speech may cause you to lose your job...

Oh...I forgot...your job is to support the Thai economy...not likely to lose that job...never mind...

Totalitarian company that monitors employees online speech and fires him for saying something that has nothing to do with the company or his job? Really? The assault on individuals in Thai society is proceeding apace.

I agree, his outburst was completely unacceptable. What is also unacceptable is this part of the article.

"Chiangrai Sintanee Company has terminated its employment of Wissawapol (surname withheld) from May 4 onward in response to his inappropriate verbal expression."

How can writing on Facebook possibly be considered a verbal expression. Verbal expressions are spoken, hence the use of the word verbal.

Aren't there any editors in Thailand?

He was obviously a bit of a tool.... If he's dumb and insensitive enough to 'write-out' (on FB) against cyclists in the wake of the tragedy (manslaughter) in Chiang Mai then his company probably also knew he's a bit of a tool. Getting rid of someone who behaves like this is somewhat of a no-brainer especially as he was on probation.

One of the key issues with internet posting (and especially anonymous forums such as TV.com - Facebook isn't anonymous so this is slightly off topic) is that people post 'stuff' which they wouldn't be prepared to say in person.

Well he can say sorry now, but its too late, he cant take back what has already been said, good on the company I would have done the same thing if something like that was siad, just sick

I agree, his outburst was completely unacceptable. What is also unacceptable is this part of the article.

"Chiangrai Sintanee Company has terminated its employment of Wissawapol (surname withheld) from May 4 onward in response to his inappropriate verbal expression."

How can writing on Facebook possibly be considered a verbal expression. Verbal expressions are spoken, hence the use of the word verbal.

Aren't there any editors in Thailand?

Wrong.

Noun 1. verbal expression - the communication (in speech or writing) of your beliefs or opinions

http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/verbal%20expression

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/verbal+expression

I can keep going.

Totalitarian company that monitors employees online speech and fires him for saying something that has nothing to do with the company or his job? Really? The assault on individuals in Thai society is proceeding apace.

Here we go again. Yet another poster who opens mouth before engaging brain. If you took time to read the report properly before sounding off you would have noticed it said 'the firm received reports of his unkind remark.' No mention of the company monitoring anyone.'

My wife worries about me enough as it is and now after reading about this guy on Facebook she is concerned someone may intentionally be trying to kill me while I am out on my bike. I am not willing to give up riding just because of a few homicidal maniacs, however.

OMG...all you posters on TF with jobs...your hate speech may cause you to lose your job...

Oh...I forgot...your job is to support the Thai economy...not likely to lose that job...never mind...

You seem to be making the assumption that every person who posts here lives or works in Thailand. And are you really going to go to bat for someone who made insensitive remarks about innocent people losing their lives?

“This is a road. It’s not a place for you to do workout. You should have ridden your bicycles in a school field. Don’t cause traffic jam…You take one full traffic lane. Is your dad the owner of the road? If I had first-class car insurance, I would bring all of you down…”

Is this the mindset of many drivers in Thailand.....scary....really scary......I'm thinking on the pedestrians to!!

This happens all over the world where there are no special lanes for bikes, then again look when you see 50/100 cyclists riding on the road with no regard for motorists then people get upset, all over, just beginning here you take your life in your hanfs

Disgusting excuse for a Human Being he may be; however, many Thai's couldn't care a less about those who died. After all; some 300 odd people lost their lives over Songkran and likely a similar number are losing theirs over this current five day 'holiday'. The question is who in Thai society from top to bottom actually cares about this alarming loss of life ? If you added another 0 to the Songkran figure, or even two 0's, do you think it would make them care more ? If ten cyclists had died in that accident do you think the Thai's would care more ?

The horrid truth is that nobody in this country cares about how many people die on its roads. The only time they care is when it's a personal family member and then the begging bowl and accusing finger come into play, because 'somebody else' must have been at fault, and therefore 'somebody else' must pay for the funeral and give them big bucks compensation.

In a way it's hard to blame the ordinary folk for feeling this way as they know only too well that they only have themselves to rely on as Politicians and Police never have, and never will, do the right things for the people. Like my Thai wife is always quick to remind me..'' You have to take care yoursel in Thailan because nobody care you '' .

Playing Devil's Advocate here... That company would be up on charges of unfair dismissal in 1st world countries.

I just love the anarchy of developing and 3rd world countries. (Sometimes...)

blink.png

Playing Devil's Advocate here... That company would be up on charges of unfair dismissal in 1st world countries.

blink.png

Thailand is not a First World country....very far from it, and it will most likely never reach that status !

blink.png

He was in a probationary period. In other countries the same he could be dismissed without reason.

Other countries employers have been deemed legal in dismissing a person for posts where the person has been identified in the profile or other posts as working for a company....eg a photo in work uniform. The post does not have to relate to the job.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

alt=blink.png>

Thailand is not a First World country....very far from it, and it will most likely never reach that status !

No kidding?

trainman34014, on 05 May 2015 - 13:20, said:

"Playing Devil's Advocate here... That company would be up on charges of unfair dismissal in 1st world countries.

I just love the anarchy of developing and 3rd world countries. (Sometimes...)"

No, this tool was still on probation and could have been dismissed for no reason at all. Technically, Thailand is a "developing" country, not a 3rd world country, though what Thailand is developing INTO defies logic . . .

Archived