Man loses job because of hatred speech against cyclists

Thaivisa News

I feel relatively safe on the backroads of Chiang Rai but on a recent drive to Hua Hin we passed maybe 100 Thai riders along the way heading out of Bangkok. With the crazy traffic and people trying to pass, even though there was no way to escape the traffic jam, I was worried about the safety of those cyclists.

"Playing Devil's Advocate here... That company would be up on charges of unfair dismissal in 1st world countries.

I just love the anarchy of developing and 3rd world countries. (Sometimes...)"

No, this tool was still on probation and could have been dismissed for no reason at all. Technically, Thailand is a "developing" country, not a 3rd world country, though what Thailand is developing INTO defies logic . . .

1. I did not refer to Thailand as a 3rd world country. I referred to ALL developing AND 3rd world countries. (Thailand goes into the "developing" slot of course. I also love the anarchy in Cambodia...which goes into the "3rd world" slot))

2. Probation or not, the company would still be in "unfair dismissal" poo poo in 1st world countries. Point unchanged.

Totalitarian company that monitors employees online speech and fires him for saying something that has nothing to do with the company or his job? Really? The assault on individuals in Thai society is proceeding apace.

Always read well before commenting. The company is not checking or policing its workers. Some workers read his comments and reported to the company and the company took actions. Thank God he was still on probation. If he had a first class car insurance he will take them all down. Not just 3 as the drunk driver did but all. Thank God again he will never have a first class car insurance. He sounds like a kind of worker who will bring down all the workers if he has a problem with the company.So the company cannot keep him. Even if the cyclists were wrong, will someone in his right frame of mind say if he had a first class car insurance he will take them all down? He has the instincts of a killer. To hear that a drunk driver killed 3 people and speaks so badly of them and adding that if he had a first class car insurance he will bring them all down even when he is not drunk show the extend to which he is wicked.

Playing Devil's Advocate here... That company would be up on charges of unfair dismissal in 1st world countries.

I just love the anarchy of developing and 3rd world countries. (Sometimes...)

He was in a probationary period. In other countries the same he could be dismissed without reason.

Other countries employers have been deemed legal in dismissing a person for posts where the person has been identified in the profile or other posts as working for a company....eg a photo in work uniform. The post does not have to relate to the job.

Countries the same as Thailand? Well yes. You're probably right. However...in "civilised" (don't take it seriously!) countries ... the poo would hit the fan.

Playing Devil's Advocate here... That company would be up on charges of unfair dismissal in 1st world countries.

blink.png

That is just simply not true. Many companies in 1st world countries now make it a condition that you notify them of any social network accounts so that it can check the content of it; this in the application stage. Monitoring continues after employment.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Totalitarian company that monitors employees online speech and fires him for saying something that has nothing to do with the company or his job? Really? The assault on individuals in Thai society is proceeding apace.

Read again, it says clearly that employees brought his message to the attention of the company.

Not supporting his statement on facebook.

But for those who had been advocating free speech and freedom of expression especially those that had been writing against the cancellation of the licence of the the Peace TV.

Aren't you having double standard???

Not supporting his statement on facebook.

But for those who had been advocating free speech and freedom of expression especially those that had been writing against the cancellation of the licence of the the Peace TV.

Aren't you having double standard???

Free speach and expression of hatred are quite a distance apart...

Something like ...If they are female or black, let's beat them up...

Or ...If they are infidels, let's bomb them away....

This is a road. Its not a place for you to do workout. You should have ridden your bicycles in a school field. Dont cause traffic jamYou take one full traffic lane. Is your dad the owner of the road? If I had first-class car insurance, I would bring all of you down

Is this the mindset of many drivers in Thailand.....scary....really scary......I'm thinking on the pedestrians to!!

Who knows here but I would say public roads are a legitimate place for recreation but not for racing unless by special arrangement and that riding in single file is a valid rule for cyclists and motorcyclists for the protection of other road users and pedestrians too.

Actions. Consequences. Yayyyyy!

Now let's see what becomes of the girl who committed the real atrocity.

Much the same as the one who killed nine (yes, 9) on the toll way a few years ago, I'd imagine...

Not much and not a single day in detention.

CONGRATULATIONS to Chiang Rai SINTANEE ( or is it SINTHANEE ?) Company for showing compassion for the Cyclists.

I know that many cyclists can be a problem but they do not deserve to be mowed-down.

The company has taken the right action in getting rid of this guy, who with the attitude he exhibited, may have in the future brought the COMPANY some large problems.

Again, Congratulations for taking the appropriate action!

blink.png

I hardly think Thailand could be described as a "Third World Country."

Don't know where you come from but judging by your comment, you should hasten to return, because your "Village" is missing something that every good VILLAGE has, namely a "Village Id..t."

(I'm sure I don't need to spell it out for other readers, but YOU may need to get someone to explain it for you.)

Total respect for that company for sacking him, hence the probation period, and as far as his sorry groverling remarks, I would lock his arse up just for being dull, Facebook, you have to love the power of the internet

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Read again, it says clearly that employees brought his message to the attention of the company.

Doesn't matter how the posting came to the attention of the company. It's still monitoring. Whether the company received an automatically generated sms alert when an employee posts online or some other employee notifies them, doesn't make any difference. The company monitored his behavior outside of the workplace with no relevance to his job performance and terminated him. The company claims totalitarian control of their employees.

My wife worries about me enough as it is and now after reading about this guy on Facebook she is concerned someone may intentionally be trying to kill me while I am out on my bike. I am not willing to give up riding just because of a few homicidal maniacs, however.

You should stop. Thailand has twice the rate of highway fatalities as the US, for example. Cyclists are still relatively rare on the roads here. Many, many drivers must not have the skills to cohabit the roadways with bicycles.

Asserting your rights, however just, against the mass of Thai drivers by putting your life at risk seems foolish.

My wife worries about me enough as it is and now after reading about this guy on Facebook she is concerned someone may intentionally be trying to kill me while I am out on my bike. I am not willing to give up riding just because of a few homicidal maniacs, however.

You should stop. Thailand has twice the rate of highway fatalities as the US, for example. Cyclists are still relatively rare on the roads here. Many, many drivers must not have the skills to cohabit the roadways with bicycles.

Asserting your rights, however just, against the mass of Thai drivers by putting your life at risk seems foolish.

I think I’ll pit my 40 accident free years in Thailand against your scare mongering. But, thanks for your concern.

blink.png

That is just simply not true. Many companies in 1st world countries now make it a condition that you notify them of any social network accounts so that it can check the content of it; this in the application stage. Monitoring continues after employment.
Contributions on social media don't affect your rights to free speech and protected employment. Unless you are convicted of committing computer crimes like trolling. If you loose you job you should have a right to reply in courts of most western countries.

Saying that it's great this country does respect that idea In this situation.

Ah well, if only I could care, I just never learned it.

Still impressive how he can say all of that about cyclist but the motorbikes are just fine...the gap between those two can't even be measured on an insanity scale. The only life gamblers I've seen on a bicycle so far are them 60 years+ old folks that ride so slow and occasionally lose their balance and swing out quite a bit, added with thainess drivers...city area seems just that much more dangerous than riding on the emergency lane on ring roads and so forth.

Good thing I don't post anything from my brain on FB, I'd go to jail or put on deathrow within a day, losing my job would be the least of my worries lol, then again, scary enough just how many people lose their job due to social media...well, deserved I guess, social media is just about for that clientele of IQs anyhow.

But again, time rather spent going after a small guy instead of rallying the masses to change something big and significant. Priorities and so forth...

I'm with him on this. Cyclists are a bloody nuisance. Imagine if every cyclist who had verbally attacked motorists were to be sacked. Thousands would lose r their job. Unkind!? It was barbed wit, albeit cruel. Frankie Boyle would be executed!

In London my friends who work in the NHS love cyclists as they are the most common organ donors.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. This type of action is now being taken world wide against employees who bring a company's reputation into disrepute by making inappropriate and despicable remarks on social media. If his rant, and that what this was, is indicative of his lack of ability (especially mental ability) to do something, then I would not want such a person working for my company either. So let's say that hypothetically, he murdered someone outside of businesses hours, then is it your opinion that this too would have nothing to do with the company or his position and he should remain employed??

It may well be that the company has a code of conduct and/or a social media policy that makes it “highly inappropriate and disrespectful” for such comments to be made on social media. Even if they don't, then his diatribe, whilst on probation, is surely a breach of his employment contract and, for that alone, the company is totally within its rights to take action and terminate his employment. He's now sorry; is seeking forgiveness and repenting for the outburst. The only reason for being sorry and repenting is because he was found out, nothing more, nothing less.

A example of how people are being brought to task is the recent sacking, by SBS Television, Australia, of one of their sports reporters for making “highly inappropriate and disrespectful” comments via social media on Anzac Day in relation to our war dead.. He too deserved what he got and as far as I am aware, this moron hasn't had the decency to apologise for his derogatory comments and they both deserve what they brought upon themselves, Yes, there is free speech, and both a free to say what they like but in doing so, they must suffer the consequences if it is deemed to be an unacceptable verbal onslaught.

blink.png

Contributions on social media don't affect your rights to free speech and protected employment. Unless you are convicted of committing computer crimes like trolling. If you loose you job you should have a right to reply in courts of most western countries.

Saying that it's great this country does respect that idea In this situation.

You are so right. Free speech. Yes you are entitled to say what you like but if it breaches certain guidelines that you will suffer the consequences. Haven't heard of libel or slander? Protected employment? He was on probation and had only been employed by the company for one month. I'd have done the same thing, that's what probation is about.

To see if the person has acceptable behaviour and the right mindset to be a responsible employee and provide commitment and loyalty to a company. Not this boy, only thought about denigrating someone or something not what negative opinions could arise and harm the company's reputation. I say to them, well done. He can repent all he wants now, in his own time, as he will have plenty of it

Yes, there is free speech, and both a free to say what they like but in doing so, they must suffer the consequences if it is deemed to be an unacceptable verbal onslaught.

See, that's why we have so many laws for every kind of sheet there is, like a whole book with sub points, clarifications, exemptions and so forth. Going by that definition alone, a good 9/10 comedians would be jobless. Religion, rape, racist, mysogynist, murder and other sensitive topics are covered by alot of them, yes they are jokes, all of them intented to be taken as such, but, taking the recent Charlie Hebdo, not everyone feels that way apparantly. And that, to me, was even on the lowest possible level of "being able to get offended by that". Small difference between those reactions, huh?

Mind you human life is worth jack to me, but people's split personality comes out when driving...if everytime I yelled behind the wheel would've killed that person, the hair count on my head would pale in comparison. That goes for everyone who uses the road inappropriately that is or is void of common sense or a brush up on their driving skills. Not sure how many times I need to full stop behind someone taking a left turn here, be able to get out of the car, push it and still collide with the left turner. There is a difference between safe driving and scared driving.

So yea, comparing verbal venting with actual murder doesn't quite cut it. The company firing him is just for the company's sake itself, because humans are such brainless sheeps that suddenly the whole company is at fault for having some random employee saying stuff they are not in control of. It's already hard enough to manage to get through a day without telling someone being a complete effin idiot to the face, but now one even has to be worried about losing their job...let alone in this mai pen rai country...well maybe they are finally catching up to all the first world problems (double meaning intended tongue.png)

Just waiting for the time thoughts will get you fined, fired, killed, whatever....I'm ready, because why not.

blink.png

No the company would not have a problem in a first world country, he was on a 3 month probationary contract which is similar worldwide. No reason has to be given for dismissal during this period.

Imagine though, had the company not taken action then they could be harmed by their inaction from users of social media.

As other posters have pointed out, his response to the accident is typical of many roadusers,not only Thai, his crime was being stupid enough to voice his opinions on the internet

Archived