Any troubles riding a bicycle down south?

Rhys

Who on earth would want to ride a bicycle anywhere in Thailand, let alone down South, it's bad enough walking in this heat

Actually I find a bicycle easier than walking. It's generally flat where we live, the bike was dirt cheap from Big C, only one gear, I would like more for assaulting the small bridges but other than that it's great.

The only time I would get on a bicycle in LOS would be if it is for excercise in a gym or at home. I've witnessed enough carnage from the relative safety of my pick-up to convince me riding a bicycle anywhere on Thai roads would be like signing my own death warrant!

I am at Ubon and only ride 530 am - 6 also wear white and keep small plastic bag on string off back of bike.I converted old jap mtb to recumbent built for 2 not low seat.

I am at Ubon and only ride 530 am - 6 also wear white and keep small plastic bag on string off back of bike.I converted old jap mtb to recumbent built for 2 not low seat.

Old Jap Motor Torpedo Boat? Now that's what I call affirmative action!

My goodness, I am surprised some of you ever managed to even get here; what with all the potential dangers of flying, seagoing, overland travel. Why don't you just stay in bed and pray the natural and unnatural diasters stay away?

Yet, I am amazed at the Thai cycling clubs.. The guys in full pace line on the far left at all hours.. early AM 6ish.. pms 5pm.... Never an issue.. The area up here is great and I do see more hardcore cyclists riding to the local university for workouts.

today I saw groups of riders, not a care in the world, holding up traffic as the cruised on down the line...

Awareness.... do you see my bike, do you see the brand name, and my designer helmet...

Then you see some really cool groups.. pace leaders, tearing it up.. and tail end Charlie doing his job...and a wife in the chase car...van, SUV...

However, alarming is the family all out in bright bikes...not paying attention to the rules of the road...

more accidents to follow sadly...

going in Khanom (nakhon si thammerat). People drive mostly slowly and carefully.

But if you go the main street that connects to Surat or to the peer you have the mini bus, bus, truck, pickup who max out their engine. But most of the time there are alternative streets with almost no traffic and this traffic is very slow.

I have a lot of experience biking in Phuket and in Songkhla.

Where I live in Songkhla (Ranode Town) it is as flat as a pancake and there is never any traffic; they even have dedicated bicycle lanes,

though they are poorly planned and nobody really uses them they way they were meant to be.

I always find it easier to cycle than walk, even if there are hills involved.

Cycling is huge in the south, including the Deep South, and I never recall any insurgent-related incidents that involved cyclists.

What I find so strange is that I am usually very relaxed when riding a bicycle, even on busy streets.

When I get on a motorbike the frustration level goes up a notch.

Put me behind the wheel of a car in a place like Phuket or the University Strip in Songkhla Town and I am stressed to the max: beeping and muttering expletives constantly.

Anyway, to answer the OP: I would not say I have ever had anyone intentionally try to run me off the road, but there have been close encounters due to the pervading recklessness that seems to pervade here.

I make a special point of giving salaeng (motorbike with illegal sidecar attached) a wide berth.

One last observation: since driving in mostly 'muscle memory' I think it is easy to get into danger if you ride a motorcycle with a car mindset.

I think the same applies to bicycles; if you are on one you are low man on the tranportotem pole (except for pedestrians) and you should exercise due caution.

Well: "Cycling is huge in the South".

On the last 1000 km I didn't saw a single biker. At 5 PM there are some, big belly biker who go 5km on the road/small sois with the MTB in colorful clothes.

But no real bikers neither Farangs nor Thais

On the last 1000 km I didn't saw a single biker. At 5 PM there are some, big belly biker who go 5km on the road/small sois with the MTB in colorful clothes.

I think you must be cruising with your eyes shut... We see several groups a day come past our place, on the main Surat to NST highway.

I think you must be cruising with your eyes shut... We see several groups a day come past our place, on the main Surat to NST highway.

Well I try to avoid going on the highway, so I can't comment on it.

On all other streets in a 30 km area in every direction from Nakhon I didn't see one single.

I did see two (not a very large number) sitting in the car it might has been the Surat-NST highway. (but gone there only 3-4 times).

I'm the same, avoid the highway as much as possible but as we live on it, I run the gaunlet just to get to the small roads smile.png

My problem is, from the small streets I never know which have asphalt and which not.....

Going from the Don Sak to the East and than down....there are some very beautiful beaches. Worth to visit. I already considered to go swimming there between. But I worry what the salt will do between my legs when ridding. Sand in the shoes....

(And of course changing clothes is difficult in Thailand....If Thais see me, the women would leave their husbands...the men would turn gay.....(I am used from Europe to just rip off my clothes on the beach and put on some swimming clothes without someone care))

• 2 weeks later...

Cycling is certainly a hugely popular pasttime in The South, there are regular road races and off-road races throughout the year and teams from every province train for these races daily. Some of the bigger events like NST, Surat and Phang-nga attract around 2,000+ competitors from all over the country.

I used to prefer training early mornings because of the cooler temperature, lower chance of rain and there's hardly any traffic. Late afternoons are good too but I would often feel tired having worked all day.

Archived