Electrolyte Beverage. Dosage?

williewolf

I buy NEO-LYTE electrolyte beverage powder sachets from 7-11, mix them in a large glass of water and I find them most refreshing during the hot season. I drink one a day. My brother who lived in Thailand says this is far too much and I should be taking only one a week. Tried the net but it just seems to be regarded as a sportsmans drink the same as energy drinks.

So what is the safe amount to drink?

Unless you have kidney problems or are on a sodium restricted diet, there is no problem with taking daily as long as you are properly diluting it. (Over-dilution is harmless, but under-dilution will cause nausea and stomach irritation)

How much you need, depends on how much fluid you are losing through sweat etc.

Thank you. 350ml per sachet. No kidney problems or with sodium. I never add salt to any of my food and any food that I buy if it is too salty I cannot eat it. I do sweat a lot in the hot season so happy with what I am doing

Unless you have kidney problems or are on a sodium restricted diet, there is no problem with taking daily as long as you are properly diluting it. (Over-dilution is harmless, but under-dilution will cause nausea and stomach irritation)

Spot on. Nothing more to add.

I take one in the morning and one in the afternoon and I still live! Dilute one into 500mil of water and sip through the day. What your body doesn't need it will pass in your urine

Just common sense, how it tastes and what is recommended on the package.

I am using electrolyte tablets on the bicycle, if I dissolve the recommended amount in the water I can't drink it. Half of it tastes very good.

Yup, love the stuff. Take one a day too. While in the gym I mix it with my 1.5 liter of water but sometimes at home pour it in a glass of 300ml water. (works refreshing for hangovers as well;)

I don't know the particular brand mentioned here, but I can tell you that Gatorade and other sports drinks are too much of a good thing. They are formulated for very high demands, far above your normal workout, and can be expected to have an effect that is opposite the intended effect. For reasons that would take too much typing to explain, they can and do cause rebound dehydration at full strength. But when diluted, they are good for sweaty days - heat or excercise. The trick is to drink water along with them at a rate of 2 water to one sports drink, or if using powder, add it to about 3x the reccomended amount of water. The way to know how your product compares is to look at the label. You want about 120 mg sodium and potassium 30 mg potassium per liter of water. A little more is okay, but not a lot more. Often this means the directions on the package suggest mixing with 250 ml water, but mixing with 750-1000 ml water is much better. Really, you only need full strength after a day of diarrhea, or while running a marathon, or playing a full football game in August heat. So, weak solutions help you, strong solutions hydrate you momentarily, then dehydrate you.

My favorite electrolyte source is fresh coconut water which I buy on the street in Thailand and also prepare in my kitchen. Coconut water is isotonic and thus has the same osmotic balance as blood and body fluids. This is why it was used as a plasma substitute in the Pacific Islands during WW ll to save the lives of thousands of American and Japanese soldiers.

Coconut water one a day is fine plus 2or 3 L of H2o.........Gatorade is horrible google it.....rule of thumb for me...take a leak drink a half litre of H2o.........dont just drink water if your thirsty...drink it for health.......

electrolytic beverages tend to contain refined sugar and refined salt. If you are excersising to control your weight, it is not a very good idea to ingest the same calories while excersising as you are trying to work away. Plain water is sufficient for normal excercise even in tropical environments. Only as an elite or occasional athlete during competition do you need to use electrolytic beverage, I usually make up my own stuff, involving unrefined ingredients.

electrolytic beverages tend to contain refined sugar and refined salt. If you are excersising to control your weight, it is not a very good idea to ingest the same calories while excersising as you are trying to work away. Plain water is sufficient for normal excercise even in tropical environments. Only as an elite or occasional athlete during competition do you need to use electrolytic beverage, I usually make up my own stuff, involving unrefined ingredients.

The sugar might not be good, but the salt is exactly the reason why you want to use it.

If you exercise more than 45 min in the tropical heat it helps to have the minerals replaced. Of course plain water will do but electrolytes are better

A few years ago I went to see a doctor. I had no symptoms of any illness but was tired all day. He got me started to drink Dechamp and I felt much better since.

It could be just placebo effect but works for me. I walk about 5 km almost everyday, from Pattaya Tai to Pattaya Nua and back along the beach.

If you don't exercise and don't sweat too much, you don't need it.

In Malaysia 100PLUS, a form of isotonic drink is also very popular as soft drink, I am beginning to see it in Thailand.

My favorite electrolyte source is fresh coconut water which I buy on the street in Thailand and also prepare in my kitchen. Coconut water is isotonic and thus has the same osmotic balance as blood and body fluids. This is why it was used as a plasma substitute in the Pacific Islands during WW ll to save the lives of thousands of American and Japanese soldiers.

today I drank 4 liter in 2.5 hours on the bicycle and that wasn't enough. I can't imagine drinking 4 liter Coconut water.

I am using electrolyte tablets on the bicycle, if I dissolve the recommended amount in the water I can't drink it. Half of it tastes very good.

h90, what electrolyte tablets are you using? Would they be the camelbak brand?

Zero Hight5 and www.highfive.co.uk is written on the packing.

Latest mix is 75ml Apple juice, fill up to 750ml with water, 1/4 tablet (recommended is 1-2 tablets) and an equal small amount of an electrolyte for bodybuilder (contains some branch chained amino acids and other things but obviously just small amounts in my mix.

I also carry a 0.5 liter water bottle with me. When I eat a banana I prefer plain water.

Currently the heat in the south is extreme + moisture. I am all the time complete wet at 30km/h...just crazy

Latest mix is 75ml Apple juice, fill up to 750ml with water, 1/4 tablet (recommended is 1-2 tablets) and an equal small amount of an electrolyte for bodybuilder (contains some branch chained amino acids and other things but obviously just small amounts in my mix.

I also carry a 0.5 liter water bottle with me. When I eat a banana I prefer plain water.

Currently the heat in the south is extreme + moisture. I am all the time complete wet at 30km/h...just crazy

That sounds good. I should have asked, do you buy it in Thailand. If so, where do you buy it?

That sounds good. I should have asked, do you buy it in Thailand. If so, where do you buy it?

no at chainreactions in UK, Postage for 80 tablets was 10 Pound.

wiggles, chainreaction and evanscycle send without problems to Thailand. I prefer them over local shops as I get what I want and they are cheap as well.

That XCell with Aminoacids I bought from Phukethealthshop (they send all over Thailand). But that I would only use as small add not as main electrolyte.

If you need the exact webpages PM me, I am not sure if I can post them here....

• 4 weeks later...

Why not drink good old Gatorade? I (vaguely) remember Caitlin (Bruce) Jenner endorsed it years ago thumbsup.gif

24 X half-liter bottles for ~500 baht @ Makro...

PS '100PLUS'...eeewww! Gag me with a spoon bah.gif

Why not drink good old Gatorade? I (vaguely) remember Caitlin (Bruce) Jenner endorsed it years ago thumbsup.gif

24 X half-liter bottles for ~500 baht @ Makro...

PS '100PLUS'...eeewww! Gag me with a spoon bah.gif

42 Baht/liter blink.png

Archived