Chiang Mai: Unique 150-km mountain trail run in North banned

webfact

Unique 150-km mountain trail run in North banned

6-5-2558-13-16-09-wpcf_728x406.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation says it will not allow the holding of the 150 kilometres long ultra trail run from Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai to Doi Luang Chiang Dao because the trail run passes its wildlife sanctuaries where there are many species of protected wildlife, and rare plants.

Ban from the department came as Facebook of Thailand Mountain Trail and website of Ultra Thai Chiang Mai carry advertisement of the 150-km long “Ultra Trail Chiang Mai” run to be organised from December 4-6, 2015.

The advertisement says the trail run is an extreme race which takes place in open country, in mountainous terrain, far from networks (roads, telecommunications…) with tropical conditions.

But organiser of the run, the French trail runner Sebastien Bertrand warned also that “Security is everybody’s affair. We as organisers must keep you informed and give you the tools which will help to ensure your safety. Even the best runners are not sheltered from injury which may immobilise them during the night, with high humidity or rain in the midst of the mountains. Here are some advice to make your race a success; the first objective of UTCM is to be finisher first.”

Registration for the trail run opens April 15.

Expenditure for the run is about 15,000 baht per runner. It is expected to attract more than 400 runners from the world to take part.

But the trail run advertisement drew strong protest from environmentalists and conservationists who voiced opposition to the trail run into wildlife sanctuaries in the North.

One environmentalist Dr Rangsarit Kanchanavanit posted on his Facebook of the trail run and received various opposition views.

Doi Luang Chiang Dao is 2,200 metres above mean sea level and is the country’s highest limestone peak, and the third highest mountain after Doi Inthanon and Doi Pahompok.

At present, the department’s allows only 250 visitors per day to the peak. It is the only place where alpine plants still could be seen.

The change.org website also gathered various views against the trail run. Most voiced with concern that the route of trail run is inappropriate and could threaten environments in the sanctuaries that might not be able to revived.

Dr Rangsarit also wrote on his Facebook saying he received message from the department that the organiser of the trail run has not yet been permitted to hold the event ruining through its wildlife sanctuaries and national park.

Sebastien Bertrand is a trail-runner and triathlete from the French Alps. He has worked for 10 years in Europe as marketing and product manager for international outdoor brands.

In 2013 he decided it was time to seek a new personal challenge. He left his job and went to Thailand he had already visited two times before.

Attracted to the country and the ambiance in the mountains; he wanted to develop trail running in the North.

To investigate mountain trails, Sebastien went directly to ask local hill tribes to help him. After one year scaling and running the most remote mountain paths he decided to launch Thailand Mountain Trail and initiate the first ultra trail “Ultra Trail Chiang Mai” run.

The French runner also said on his website . It will be the wildest trail in Asia, and one of the most demanding too.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/unique-150-km-mountain-trail-run-in-north-banned

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-06

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation says it will not allow the holding of the 150 kilometres long ultra trail run from Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai to Doi Luang Chiang Dao because the trail run passes its wildlife sanctuaries where there are many species of protected wildlife, and rare plants.

What else is up there? Drug trails, human trafficking runs ... maybe the wildlife is not all they want to protect.

We are quick to condemn thailand for its lack of environmental awaremess (rightly so) but it seems that when they do try to protect the environment we also condemn that. blink.png

No run there, no problem. I have run 2 international hash challenges in Malaysia that were only 42km mountain/jungle runs, but the Malaysian authorities had no issues with us using Genting Highlands and Fraser Hill areas for both of those events. I'm sure where there is a will, there is a way, just not in that part of Thailand. I'm sure he can find another venue and wish him well. These kind of events make for life long memories for the people fortunate and fit enough to attend them. The only thing these people should leave behind are footprints. That goes with the territory.

We are quick to condemn thailand for its lack of environmental awaremess (rightly so) but it seems that when they do try to protect the environment we also condemn that. blink.png

+1....The environment wins this time.

No run there, no problem. I have run 2 international hash challenges in Malaysia that were only 42km mountain/jungle runs, but the Malaysian authorities had no issues with us using Genting Highlands and Fraser Hill areas for both of those events. I'm sure where there is a will, there is a way, just not in that part of Thailand. I'm sure he can find another venue and wish him well. These kind of events make for life long memories for the people fortunate and fit enough to attend them. The only thing these people should leave behind are footprints. That goes with the territory.

Tell me who will pay if 1 or more runners require rescue operations up there?

The persons who have objected to the event have been sharing information and providing updates in a transparent, reasonable, constructive, professional manner. This may contradict the popular complaints that "Thais don't care about the environment," and always have a "hidden agenda," etc., but that's just ignorance and prejudice talking.

You can see for yourself on the Facebook page of Rungsrit Kanjanavanit.

I wonder why this would not follow the road ? Something is messed up with this trail plan America runs Marathons all the time but they use the roads. I thought this would be a bicycle race but running ? I think that is about 93 miles are they freaking crazy. People will die trying to do this.

He really just forgot to pay his Tea money before announcing the event.

I understand Hash House Harriers in Chiang Mai do this all the time at much lower cost and leaving footprints only. If that was the idea but a longer run then maybe he took some wrong trails or talked to wrong authorities. And no in November, December and most of January: nice clear brisk weather. Maybe looking into people burning after those months would seriously help the environment.

...In 2013 he decided it was time to seek a new personal challenge. He left his job and went to Thailand he had already visited two times before...

Let's get real here. Is he saying he quit to make more money than he needs exploiting another country under the guise of 'extreme or ultimate whatever'. Why not organize a run at night through a poor neighborhood in Paris or North Africa or how about Syria or somewhere else... How many more countries do people like him need to exploit? More Western selfish holier than thou insensitive arrogance. I hope it never gets approved.

I wonder why this would not follow the road ? Something is messed up with this trail plan America runs Marathons all the time but they use the roads. I thought this would be a bicycle race but running ? I think that is about 93 miles are they freaking crazy. People will die trying to do this.

He really just forgot to pay his Tea money before announcing the event.

There are numerous ultra distance trail runs in America.

...In 2013 he decided it was time to seek a new personal challenge. He left his job and went to Thailand he had already visited two times before...

Let's get real here. Is he saying he quit to make more money than he needs exploiting another country under the guise of 'extreme or ultimate whatever'. Why not organize a run at night through a poor neighborhood in Paris or North Africa or how about Syria or somewhere else... How many more countries do people like him need to exploit? More Western selfish holier than thou insensitive arrogance. I hope it never gets approved.

Just like the beer manufacturers are exploiting you? I am unaware that you object to them. Or Central, who exploits you with products that you want to buy. Or gas stations that exploit you to drive your motorbike. Yes, I feel so exploited.....what I am to do? Oh, I am supposed to "get real here".

Who is this arrogant fool?

Hey Thailand, came to your country and really dig it man. Totally awesome dude!

Hey, so here is update (check my Facebook for details)

I do not have a work permit, hell .. I do not have any kind of permit .. and I am going to charge runners from all over the world an entrance fee to run straight through your wildlife sanctuary. yea, that one ,, the one you severely limit visitors to. I will keep all the profits, and if one of my guys get knotted up out there, Thailand can mount and pay for a search and rescue ...

Now wait for the punchline ... if you do NOT mount a search and rescue that is successful, we will turn on you like cobras and broadcast to the world how unsafe and dangerous Thailand is.

Meet me at the finish line ... you can't miss me .. I will be the Frog laughing all the way to the bank!

To the Thai Visa Bash and Crash Department. Can you imagine if SomeThai showed up in your homeland and announced he was running a for profit event through one of your protected environmental national treasures?

Is the NOTHING you guys can not bash Thailand for? They stand up for the environment, the LAW, and common sense, and you piss down their necks.

Amazing Farang. Really.

Not "we all" ... only the usual thaivisa.com cynics.

I ran the Thailand Ultra Marathon last year up near Mae Hong Son. It was a pay to enter event but the organisers actually lost money due to the high costs involved in putting on something like this. They also worked with local hill tribes on route advice and did a lot of good charity work with the villages involved. It was an amazing race and everyone that took part, including all the villagers, had an amazing few days. Sure if someone gets injured it can be a strain on local emergency services but races take place all over the world and they cope. Any event that puts Thailand on an international sporting pedestal, should be supported by the locals and competitors 100%.

People who do these races are normally very environmentally aware. People who sit in the pub and slate them, well you decide.....

Film rights, TShirt money

If the farang organizer were to donate half the proceeds to DNP for park management they'd be silly to turn it down. sadly if it were the local 4WD club requesting access for a rally it would have a greater chance of approval

Archived