Chiang Mai: Unique 150-km mountain trail run in North banned

webfact

I can't quite understand how trail runners running on existing trails could be considered a major environmental threat. These same trails are traveled by off road dirt bikes during the dry season, both by ex-pats and locals, on a fairly regular basis without any complaints. There are other issues at play here.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...In 2013 he decided it was time to seek a new personal challenge. He left his job and went to Thailand he had already visited two times before...

Let's get real here. Is he saying he quit to make more money than he needs exploiting another country under the guise of 'extreme or ultimate whatever'. Why not organize a run at night through a poor neighborhood in Paris or North Africa or how about Syria or somewhere else... How many more countries do people like him need to exploit? More Western selfish holier than thou insensitive arrogance. I hope it never gets approved.

Just like the beer manufacturers are exploiting you? I am unaware that you object to them. Or Central, who exploits you with products that you want to buy. Or gas stations that exploit you to drive your motorbike. Yes, I feel so exploited.....what I am to do? Oh, I am supposed to "get real here".

You don't get it do you? There is a bigger picture called environmental impact. But never mind keep pissing in your beer. hahhaha

The race capacity is actually 300 runners for the non-stop 150 km race and 100 runners for the 3-day stage race, with entry fees accordingly 255 and 495 USD, so that is one clear fact that is already grossly overlooked by the so called journalists who report on this. In terms of environmental risk, in all honesty it is quite the other way around really, this is not some run of the mill city marathon or some cheesy ultimate extreme whatever nonsense -- ultra mountain trail running is a serious sport and the kind of people that take part in these kind of unique events are actually serious nature lovers themselves and are all for preserving the wild and come equipped and prepared accordingly and it's very much about sports tourism and enjoying/discovering the nature/wild -- you can't take part in this race unless you have met the requirements, which basically mean you must have done this before succesfully and more than once -- these kind of races are arranged all over the world and just as well in Thailand also, but not quite on this big scale previously. Regarding making huge profit from this, it's quite laughable -- anyone who comes up with that statement doesn't clearly have a clue about what goes on in the world of ultra mountain trail running, it's usually people with a big passion towards the sport and the environment where the event is being held, it's far from some easy money making plan, absolutely ridiculous, there are by far more easier ways to make some efficient money if one wants. The way this has been reported for now is quite misshapen, hopefully they will start to get their facts straight and find eventually that both parties are actually on the same side. For example, this project has been very much about preserving and reopening old mountain trails in a sustainable way that have already partly disappeared and are/have been restored now, all in cooperation with the locals both for hikers/runners and the local hilltribes people themselves. Why? Because there are people who actually care and love covering long distances in the nature on foot, be it running or hiking, not much difference really, although runners tend to actually leave far less behind, if anything, in my experience. I've taken part in these kind of races in many places elsewhere in Asia as well as of course in Thailand. I've also ran the same 150 km route of this race in 3 days last November together with 20+ other runners from Asia and Europe, leaving behind nothing and disturbing noone, encountering the beautiful scenery and smiling locals. Also living and training in Chiang Mai I've covered these routes countless more times. Actually you are never too far from populated areas on this route to be honest, the only truely uninhabited area is perhaps the last 25 km or so, that is the Doi Luang trail at the end of the race. If you want to read some more facts, I suggest to take a look at the actual event website first at www.ultra-thai.com

The race capacity is actually 300 runners for the non-stop 150 km race and 100 runners for the 3-day stage race, with entry fees accordingly 255 and 495 USD, so that is one clear fact that is already grossly overlooked by the so called journalists who report on this. In terms of environmental risk, in all honesty it is quite the other way around really, this is not some run of the mill city marathon or some cheesy ultimate extreme whatever nonsense -- ultra mountain trail running is a serious sport and the kind of people that take part in these kind of unique events are actually serious nature lovers themselves and are all for preserving the wild and come equipped and prepared accordingly and it's very much about sports tourism and enjoying/discovering the nature/wild -- you can't take part in this race unless you have met the requirements, which basically mean you must have done this before succesfully and more than once -- these kind of races are arranged all over the world and just as well in Thailand also, but not quite on this big scale previously. Regarding making huge profit from this, it's quite laughable -- anyone who comes up with that statement doesn't clearly have a clue about what goes on in the world of ultra mountain trail running, it's usually people with a big passion towards the sport and the environment where the event is being held, it's far from some easy money making plan, absolutely ridiculous, there are by far more easier ways to make some efficient money if one wants. The way this has been reported for now is quite misshapen, hopefully they will start to get their facts straight and find eventually that both parties are actually on the same side. For example, this project has been very much about preserving and reopening old mountain trails in a sustainable way that have already partly disappeared and are/have been restored now, all in cooperation with the locals both for hikers/runners and the local hilltribes people themselves. Why? Because there are people who actually care and love covering long distances in the nature on foot, be it running or hiking, not much difference really, although runners tend to actually leave far less behind, if anything, in my experience. I've taken part in these kind of races in many places elsewhere in Asia as well as of course in Thailand. I've also ran the same 150 km route of this race in 3 days last November together with 20+ other runners from Asia and Europe, leaving behind nothing and disturbing noone, encountering the beautiful scenery and smiling locals. Also living and training in Chiang Mai I've covered these routes countless more times. Actually you are never too far from populated areas on this route to be honest, the only truely uninhabited area is perhaps the last 25 km or so, that is the Doi Luang trail at the end of the race. If you want to read some more facts, I suggest to take a look at the actual event website first at www.ultra-thai.com

Thank you for your thoughtful and informative posting that brings awareness of “ultra mountain trail running.”

I think it is you, not the people on this site … who have missed the point ... so please allow me to return the favor and lend some insights.

Thailand is a sovereign nation with its own customs and laws. Now, we may not all agree on those laws, and in some cases, not like certain customs … but it is what it is … as it is … everywhere on this planet.

Many of us on the Thai Visa site bicker, prod and poke each other. Because, like a disjointed family, those of us who live here year in, and year out … have a love / hate relationship with Thailand.

And our number one complaint revolves around the ability to work here. The Thai rational is that Foreigners take away Thai jobs, and therefore are prohibited or highly discouraged from working here. Because we love the Kingdom, many of us feel that our Expat talents could go far to raising the international competitive bar of Thailand and in so doing, improve the collective lives of a people we respect and love.

The prime example is teaching English. We all know that no one can compete with a native speaker. I did not say a few, I said no one. We have the native tongue and most subtle understanding of the language. Native speaking English Teachers are not “taking a job a Thai can do.”

Do you see how that is? An English teacher can “do good things” while having a good life in the Kingdom.

What does this have to do with you?

Please answer some questions.

Do you have a permit to open up a business in the Kingdom?

Do you have a work permit to work in the Kingdom?

Do you have the required ratio of Thai workers to Foreign workers in this event?

Do you have insurance to cover loss or damage to the property of the Kingdom?

Do you have arrangements with the National park service to use their land?

Do you have arrangements with the authorities of Thailand in case one of your participants is injured, lost in the jungle, or killed?

The reason we are up in your business … is because you think you can just show up, start a business, work in the Kingdom ... and double down on that insult by doing it in a National Park. What is lost on you is the daisy chain of laws you are breaking, and the arrogance of that purposeful naiveté. Don’t you think every Thai Visa member who actually has lived here for years .. would love to just start up a cool company doing extreme sports? We want to know, what the hell makes you so special?

I could take your bait and argue about your sport … and point out that revenue from these events comes not from the runners .. but from the sponsors, souvenir sales, image rights, commercial and movie rights. But that point is mute.

You can not just break into someone’s home, throw a party, leave them to clean up after, and couch it in “we are cool people, this is for the greater good.”

Let us now when you have a license to open a business, a work permit, the required Thai to Foreigner worker ratio. THEN we can discuss using a protected environmental zone for your race.

Thank you for your thoughtful and informative posting that brings awareness of “ultra mountain trail running.”

I think it is you, not the people on this site … who have missed the point ... so please allow me to return the favor and lend some insights.

Thailand is a sovereign nation with its own customs and laws. Now, we may not all agree on those laws, and in some cases, not like certain customs … but it is what it is … as it is … everywhere on this planet.

Many of us on the Thai Visa site bicker, prod and poke each other. Because, like a disjointed family, those of us who live here year in, and year out … have a love / hate relationship with Thailand.

And our number one complaint revolves around the ability to work here. The Thai rational is that Foreigners take away Thai jobs, and therefore are prohibited or highly discouraged from working here. Because we love the Kingdom, many of us feel that our Expat talents could go far to raising the international competitive bar of Thailand and in so doing, improve the collective lives of a people we respect and love.

The prime example is teaching English. We all know that no one can compete with a native speaker. I did not say a few, I said no one. We have the native tongue and most subtle understanding of the language. Native speaking English Teachers are not “taking a job a Thai can do.”

Do you see how that is? An English teacher can “do good things” while having a good life in the Kingdom.

What does this have to do with you?

Please answer some questions.

Do you have a permit to open up a business in the Kingdom?

Do you have a work permit to work in the Kingdom?

Do you have the required ratio of Thai workers to Foreign workers in this event?

Do you have insurance to cover loss or damage to the property of the Kingdom?

Do you have arrangements with the National park service to use their land?

Do you have arrangements with the authorities of Thailand in case one of your participants is injured, lost in the jungle, or killed?

The reason we are up in your business … is because you think you can just show up, start a business, work in the Kingdom ... and double down on that insult by doing it in a National Park. What is lost on you is the daisy chain of laws you are breaking, and the arrogance of that purposeful naiveté. Don’t you think every Thai Visa member who actually has lived here for years .. would love to just start up a cool company doing extreme sports? We want to know, what the hell makes you so special?

I could take your bait and argue about your sport … and point out that revenue from these events comes not from the runners .. but from the sponsors, souvenir sales, image rights, commercial and movie rights. But that point is mute.

You can not just break into someone’s home, throw a party, leave them to clean up after, and couch it in “we are cool people, this is for the greater good.”

Let us now when you have a license to open a business, a work permit, the required Thai to Foreigner worker ratio. THEN we can discuss using a protected environmental zone for your race.

The OP is about the environmental impact of the race, not work permits.

Start another topic on French nationals violating labor laws if you wanna debate that !

The actual idea is not so bad but Chiang Dao (actual mountain area) is a bad idea. Its an area known for distinct plant species etc and seems to be one they really do try and preserve. Seeing as the race doesn't have anything to do with conservation or research couldn't they just as easily choose another destination.

I think it's important to distinguish between the objections of local conservationists, some of whom have spent decades trying to protect and preserve Doi Luang, and the criticisms of TVF members here. The locals have made it clear that they are not against the event in principle, just the route and the planning process. They've said that they believe that the main organizer does not have bad intentions. They've told him, the government, and the press that they would like to help find alternatives. As far as I know, they haven't based their case on work permits, profits, taxes, etc.

Personally, I hope that they work out a new plan acceptable to all and go ahead. Northern Thailand has plenty of mountainous terrain that doesn't pass through sensitive and protected nature preserves. After all, why not?

I am not the organizer of this event. I am merely commenting as someone who lives and works here that actually knows about what this sport is.

As for me personally, though it is none of your business, yes I have all the legal necessary documents and my work is in a totally different area.

As for "would love to just start up a cool company doing extreme sports" and "what the hell makes you so special" -- well, just go ahead then, if you think it requires no skills, experience and expertise to do something like this.

As for "revenue from these events comes not from the runners .. but from the sponsors, souvenir sales, image rights, commercial and movie rights" -- pure speculation on your behalf and beside the point as well. By the way, for a sport/activity to have big revenue coming in from sponsors, etc it would have to be very popular on a large scale -- ultra trail running is very much a small niche sport when it comes to the bigger picutre. Anyhow, this is all beside the point and not the issue here at all.

And as for the last remark in your writing piece "You can not just break into someone’s home, throw a party, leave them to clean up after, and couch it in “we are cool people, this is for the greater good.”" -- so what exactly did you base this weird assumption on? This is nothing but slander now, you're just being rude at this point.

SO you are opening and restoring old trails that have been reverting to the jungle state. Those trails never belonged there in the first place and restoring them is risking the redeveloping environment. That is just the act of clearing them let alone using them.

I am not the organizer of this event. I am merely commenting as someone who lives and works here that actually knows about what this sport is.

As for me personally, though it is none of your business, yes I have all the legal necessary documents and my work is in a totally different area.

As for "would love to just start up a cool company doing extreme sports" and "what the hell makes you so special" -- well, just go ahead then, if you think it requires no skills, experience and expertise to do something like this.

As for "revenue from these events comes not from the runners .. but from the sponsors, souvenir sales, image rights, commercial and movie rights" -- pure speculation on your behalf and beside the point as well. By the way, for a sport/activity to have big revenue coming in from sponsors, etc it would have to be very popular on a large scale -- ultra trail running is very much a small niche sport when it comes to the bigger picutre. Anyhow, this is all beside the point and not the issue here at all.

And as for the last remark in your writing piece "You can not just break into someone’s home, throw a party, leave them to clean up after, and couch it in “we are cool people, this is for the greater good.”" -- so what exactly did you base this weird assumption on? This is nothing but slander now, you're just being rude at this point.

Once again, your replies are so well thought out and well written, it is a pleasure to talk about this with you.

All I am saying is that this event is presumptuous ... and that presumption is that 400 people wanting to have a foot race has some noble feature that overrides the law, the impact on the environment, and in terms of personal safety ... common sense.

It matters not at what level there is income or profit .. as long as it generates any. Once it does that, it is a business, and falls under the same umbrella you and I live under.

As to the environment, another person has pointed out that these trails are reverting to their natural state .. that is the beating heart of environmentalism. As to the hill tribes .. if they required these paths, they would, via use ... exist! The fact that they are being returned to nature suggests that whatever utility they provided the hill tribes has now passed.

The reason I am being so difficult here is this notion that we ... foreigners visiting the Kingdom .. have some special privilege to treat this place like our own Disney Land. It is not, and you know it .. and frankly, by your tone, respect and love being here.

Why the group doers not gracefully accept that they have stepped out of bounds, make a few concessions, devise a more favorable route .. etc .. is beyond me.

Once again .. please give me an example of another country ... where 400 people can show up, and in direct violation of the law and environmental common sense that generated them ... just thumb their noses, say "We are uber athletes, the rules do not apply to us."

Where is that place? THAT is where this group need to go.

The mod on their facebook page threw a rant on how Thais burn trash etc and don't care about the environment, why are they against his trail run. He also went on saying how he knows more of the local tribes people there since he has been there for 2 years, so people complaining have no idea what they are talking about, how he knows more etc etc. Sounds kind of stuck up.

Trying to make money by using "tourism and money" to get permission from the local tribes is just shady as hell. Perhaps a Khao Yai run that takes place on the main road is better. I know its not exactly what he wants to do as he wants to run through "nature".

The mod on their facebook page threw a rant on how Thais burn trash etc and don't care about the environment, why are they against his trail run. He also went on saying how he knows more of the local tribes people there since he has been there for 2 years, so people complaining have no idea what they are talking about, how he knows more etc etc. Sounds kind of stuck up.

Trying to make money by using "tourism and money" to get permission from the local tribes is just shady as hell. Perhaps a Khao Yai run that takes place on the main road is better. I know its not exactly what he wants to do as he wants to run through "nature".

There are plenty of places that aren't protected where they could run.

So why did they not pick one of those first?

Answer: Because they don't give a monkeys.

So why be surprised that no-one gives a monkeys about their irrelevant little fun run?

I looked for the rant but couldn't find it. Could you link or screenshot or something? Or maybe he took it down already?

The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation says it will not allow the holding of the 150 kilometres long ultra trail run from Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai to Doi Luang Chiang Dao because the trail run passes its wildlife sanctuaries where there are many species of protected wildlife, and rare plants.

What else is up there? Drug trails, human trafficking runs ... maybe the wildlife is not all they want to protect.

Total and absolute crapola.

The organiser of this event is not out for fun and adventure, but for profits at the expense of the environment, including as he discretely hinted, it`s every man for himself, each responsible for their own welfare and safety. Many who maybe not fit enough, have medical conditions or never had any experiences in participating in such extreme events could be placing their health or even their lives at risk while the organiser just sits backs and cashes in.

The authorities and environmentalists should be congratulated for banning this event.

The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation says it will not allow the holding of the 150 kilometres long ultra trail run from Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai to Doi Luang Chiang Dao because the trail run passes its wildlife sanctuaries where there are many species of protected wildlife, and rare plants.

What else is up there? Drug trails, human trafficking runs ... maybe the wildlife is not all they want to protect.

The organiser of this event is not out for fun and adventure, but for profits at the expense of the environment, including as he discretely hinted, it`s every man for himself, each responsible for their own welfare and safety. Many who maybe not fit enough, have medical conditions or never had any experiences in participating in such extreme events could be placing their health or even their lives at risk while the organiser just sits backs and cashes in.

The authorities and environmentalists should be congratulated for banning this event.

People who are not fit, have medical conditions or no experience do not take part in a 150km Ultra.. Stick to commenting on subjects you have at least a tiny bit of knowledge about..

People who are not fit, have medical conditions or no experience do not take part in a 150km Ultra.. Stick to commenting on subjects you have at least a tiny bit of knowledge about..

Again I am calling total crapola on this one.

Are you saying that all participants are required to go for a medical and produce a medical certificate certifying that they are fit enough to take part in the trek and need to prove their experience?

15000 baht ahead, expected to be 400, thats = 6 million baht. Do you sincerely believe that the organiser will turn away 15000 baht. He has more or less explained that each participant pays their money and then it`s up to them. Unless explained to the contrary somewhere else then I suggest you read the OP again.

If anyone is interested, I am arranging a walk that covers a 30 kilometre area around my way and for a fee of 1000 baht ahead, I will send you the route. Please prior notify family or friends of your whereabouts, just in case you drop dead on route.

Again, stick to what you know or do some research before posting. Yes, participants do have to sign a medical declaration form, it's not a trek and yes they do normally need to prove that they have run races of that calibre before.

These events are not about money my friend, they are about experiences and meeting new people. Negative whiners are generally not suited to such things..

Again, stick to what you know or do some research before posting. Yes, participants do have to sign a medical declaration form, it's not a trek and yes they do normally need to prove that they have run races of that calibre before.

These events are not about money my friend, they are about experiences and meeting new people. Negative whiners are generally not suited to such things..

An event can yield in 6 million baht. ($180000 US) Not exactly a non profit making event, is it?

Not worth the effort responding to the rest of your post.

An event can yield in 6 million baht. ($180000 US) Not exactly a non profit making event, is it?

I was really hoping you wouldn't be responding at all... You have no idea about this sport or the people involved in it but thats TVF for ya :)

I was really hoping you wouldn't be responding at all... You have no idea about this sport or the people involved in it but thats TVF for ya smile.png

I have no doubts about that, considering that many consider my issues regarding FACTS are bad for business and also considering that it was you who instigated making an issue out of my comments.

Ok, I'll respond... Just because you are making me smile :)

I do like the way you highlight one sentance each time that you think you can counter and ignore the rest of a post, classic TV barstool tactics...

Here were my facts that you missed, which is why I had to call you out 1st time.

It's a 150km trail race (running), not a trek around the park.

Medical declarations must be signed by entrants.

Inexperienced runners are not permitted to enter.

Ultra Marathons when run on established trails leave little impact on the area, due to the mentality of the runners.

Entry fees are not pure profit for the organisers and generally just about cover costs involved, unless they obtain big sponsorship.

You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts :)

• 6 months later...

Looks like this clown (the organizer) is still intent on holding the race which has been "banned". Basically, this is a for-profit event run by an "organization" of which there is no evidence it is registered in Thailand, has any Thai people involved in it, has a license for holding such an event, or cares in the least about the protected environment that hundreds of people will "run" through, including the summit of Doi Luang Chiang Dao.

He's just run the same event with about 5 people (which is sustainable), and is adding events for 10 people, which are AFTER the big race which has hundreds signed up and paid.

- https://www.facebook.com/SportNatureThailand/ Still has all the posts and no signs of cancellation on Facebook

- http://ultra-thai.com/packages.php More tour packages, is this a real Thai registered tourism company?

- http://ultra-thai.com/thailand-mountain-trail.php Organization is made up of two foreigners

- https://scontent-kul1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/q84/s2048x2048/11080637_442576435905740_6715390590387610591_o.jpg The actual path, through a large number of protected areas.

- Yet another recent article extolling the greatness, pictures of a single runner, pristine views (and trails) and a few ethnic faces. Yet the reality is 400 actual people. http://www.toughasia.com/blog/ultra-thai-chiang-mai-04-06-12-2015/

And yet another French organization is doing a similar trail, for 30 people over 140km.

- http://thai-ultrarace.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=94&Itemid=105〈=en

- https://www.facebook.com/THA%C3%8F-ULTRA-RACE-214597332061525/

What is it about French runners wanting to drag dozens if not hundreds of runners over protected and fragile trails? The joy of discovery combined with the horror of destruction? Is this really even consciously possible?

This has been clearly opposed and no permission was ever sought (and the route is on some private /protected land that requires permission). http://www.bangkokpost.com/print/551435

Looks like this clown (the organizer) is still intent on holding the race which has been "banned". Basically, this is a for-profit event run by an "organization" of which there is no evidence it is registered in Thailand, has any Thai people involved in it, has a license for holding such an event, or cares in the least about the protected environment that hundreds of people will "run" through, including the summit of Doi Luang Chiang Dao.

He's just run the same event with about 5 people (which is sustainable), and is adding events for 10 people, which are AFTER the big race which has hundreds signed up and paid.

- https://www.facebook.com/SportNatureThailand/ Still has all the posts and no signs of cancellation on Facebook

- http://ultra-thai.com/packages.php More tour packages, is this a real Thai registered tourism company?

- http://ultra-thai.com/thailand-mountain-trail.php Organization is made up of two foreigners

- https://scontent-kul1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/q84/s2048x2048/11080637_442576435905740_6715390590387610591_o.jpg The actual path, through a large number of protected areas.

- Yet another recent article extolling the greatness, pictures of a single runner, pristine views (and trails) and a few ethnic faces. Yet the reality is 400 actual people. http://www.toughasia.com/blog/ultra-thai-chiang-mai-04-06-12-2015/

And yet another French organization is doing a similar trail, for 30 people over 140km.

- http://thai-ultrarace.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=94&Itemid=105〈=en

- https://www.facebook.com/THA%C3%8F-ULTRA-RACE-214597332061525/

What is it about French runners wanting to drag dozens if not hundreds of runners over protected and fragile trails? The joy of discovery combined with the horror of destruction? Is this really even consciously possible?

This has been clearly opposed and no permission was ever sought (and the route is on some private /protected land that requires permission). http://www.bangkokpost.com/print/551435

Have you seen the state of the campsite below the summit of Doi Chiang Dao? A hundred runners wont have much impact there wink.png

Archived