Chiang Mai: Unique 150-km mountain trail run in North banned

webfact

I gather from the FB threads among Thai conservationists that when they approached the organizer to discuss the event and try to work out an alternate route, he first lied about having permission, then blew them off by promising to rework the route then not changing anything. They obtained a letter from the head of the Suthep-Pui Park stating that no permission had been given, or even sought, and the department wouldn't sanction the event.

His apparent deception pissed off the conservationists to no end, because from their point of view, they were at first trying to help the organizer, not defeat him. All the good will evaporated.

I've known some of these folks for over a decade, and their commitment to protecting and defending the environment in general, and Doi Luang in particular, is unimpeachable. The organizer claims moral high ground because he is coordinating with hilltribe villages along the route. He tries to paint the Thais as lowland obstructionists who don't know the mountain people, but nothing could be farther from the truth. They've worked together closely for many years.

It will be interesting to see what happens next.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No run there, no problem. I have run 2 international hash challenges in Malaysia that were only 42km mountain/jungle runs, but the Malaysian authorities had no issues with us using Genting Highlands and Fraser Hill areas for both of those events. I'm sure where there is a will, there is a way, just not in that part of Thailand. I'm sure he can find another venue and wish him well. These kind of events make for life long memories for the people fortunate and fit enough to attend them. The only thing these people should leave behind are footprints. That goes with the territory.

Tell me who will pay if 1 or more runners require rescue operations up there?

The event, if planned right. can pay for check points with basic medical facilities, the Hash Challenge could afford it, this will be no different. 1 or 2 ambulances and a doctor or 2 on duty with the ability to move. You can not eliminate all of the risk, but minimize it. This would not be the first time this has been done. The Hash Challenge requires teams of 4, you must pass each check station together, so it is self regulated in that way. And the Hash Challenge organizers will refuse or stop a team from moving past a check point if they are unfit to do so.

This is not to be planned by or attended by the inexperienced. If it is communicated to the regional Hash House Harrier clubs, they will assist to make it work and provide a good number of the attendees and volunteers to make it work.

Everyone attending signs an agreement that they are ultimately responsible for themselves also. This kind of event is not for the weak!

This kind of event is not for the weak!

Nor the conscientious, apparently. That's a cheap shot, sorry. The complaints are not aimed at this "kind" of event in general, but at this particular one. And there's no argument that one needs to be fit and experienced to give it a go.

• 2 weeks later...

This kind of event is not for the weak!

Nor the conscientious, apparently. That's a cheap shot, sorry. The complaints are not aimed at this "kind" of event in general, but at this particular one. And there's no argument that one needs to be fit and experienced to give it a go.

Move it then. The unfit would not get very far on one of these. Though there is no test to attend a hash challenge, most train for it beyond just running weekly hash runs, and still a lot don't complete it.

Good for them.

Go and organise your stupid moneymaking fun run somewhere else.

You are right. Why would anyone want to build up Thailand's tourist market, where there are better places that respect foreign investment ?

As if the organiser gives a flying ---- about Thailand's tourist market.

All he's interested in is $$$$$$$s and he doesn't care what the environmental cost is.

He's not investing in Thailand, he's taking money off people.

Good for them.

You are right. Why would anyone want to build up Thailand's tourist market, where there are better places that respect foreign investment ?

All he's interested in is $$$$$$$s and he doesn't care what the environmental cost is.

Better ban travel agents selling tours, & close all the businesses those tours visit thumbsup.gif

Good for them.

Better ban travel agents selling tours, & close all the businesses those tours visit thumbsup.gif

Do they organise pointless moneymaking tramples through sensitive ecosystems?

I wonder why this would not follow the road ? Something is messed up with this trail plan America runs Marathons all the time but they use the roads. I thought this would be a bicycle race but running ? I think that is about 93 miles are they freaking crazy. People will die trying to do this.

He really just forgot to pay his Tea money before announcing the event.

There are numerous ultra distance trail runs in America.

Not everything needs to be compared to what they do in America .

Good for them.

You really have no clue what you are talking about. Have you ever ever participated in or even witness any event of this kind?

For a start, those trail runners needs places to stay, food to eat and transportation to get there ... who do you think benefits from this? ... if not the local economy.

As for the environmental impact, if you actual participate in this kind of event, you would know the importance of leaving the place as clean as you found it.

Littering is not an option, will get you disqualify from the race and is frown upon by the community.

What you may not know is that this sport is picking up in Thailand and there is more and more events like this, and a competition from organisers, even between Thais.

I let you imagine how some might view the competition from abroad ... and then the decision to ban this event can be viewed from a very different angle.

Who gives a toss it's banned, he can go and trash some other country instead.

Perhaps you missed the post where I ressurected the thread.. Where the ministry for sports and tourism is trying to encourage adventure tourism for Thailand.

I personally dont see the animosity to this event.. How much damage do you think a few 100 runners do when running a trail ??? Almost none..

I think adventure sports can be cool, and among them trail running is less intrusive, in principle, than many others. But I can't fathom the mentality of this pack of organizers.

Looks like their new strategies are

1) not to publish a map of the route

2) handle logistics under an organization in France

3) list the Chiang Mai Provincial Social Development and Human Security Office as a partner

4) organize the rescheduled event surreptitiously so that it would be too late to oppose it on race day

I wonder if they've made any effort to revise the route away from the sensitive habitats that were cause for concern the first time around. There are a couple of rare and endangered mammal species on Doi Luang that are easily disturbed by human activity. This is one reason why visitors during the season are limited to 250 per day and must be accompanied by local guides. These rules weren't handed down by the government, but were created through a consensus-building process among local people over many years. Similarly, the people of Chiang Dao successfully opposed a cable-car project once pushed by the government, for reasons both ecological and cultural. Basically, don't f××k with Doi Luang, which for kon muang is one of four sacred mountains.

It seems that, instead of listening to local environmental concerns, respecting regulations, seeking a compromise solution, they appear to be willing to risk having armed park rangers stop the race in its tracks, which can definitely happen.

I think adventure sports can be cool, and among them trail running is less intrusive, in principle, than many others. But I can't fathom the mentality of this pack of organizers.

Looks like their new strategies are

1) not to publish a map of the route

2) handle logistics under an organization in France

3) list the Chiang Mai Provincial Social Development and Human Security Office as a partner

4) organize the rescheduled event surreptitiously so that it would be too late to oppose it on race day

I wonder if they've made any effort to revise the route away from the sensitive habitats that were cause for concern the first time around. There are a couple of rare and endangered mammal species on Doi Luang that are easily disturbed by human activity. This is one reason why visitors during the season are limited to 250 per day and must be accompanied by local guides. These rules weren't handed down by the government, but were created through a consensus-building process among local people over many years. Similarly, the people of Chiang Dao successfully opposed a cable-car project once pushed by the government, for reasons both ecological and cultural. Basically, don't f××k with Doi Luang, which for kon muang is one of four sacred mountains.

It seems that, instead of listening to local environmental concerns, respecting regulations, seeking a compromise solution, they appear to be willing to risk having armed park rangers stop the race in its tracks, which can definitely happen.

He wants his money. That's all he cares about.

It would be interesting if the organisers got arrested for working without a workpermit and probably not the relevent visa so ended up in IDC.

And the runners had their visas checked to see if they had stated they were competing in a sporting event not tourism and had the same treatment.

It would be interesting if the organisers got arrested for working without a workpermit and probably not the relevent visa so ended up in IDC.

And the runners had their visas checked to see if they had stated they were competing in a sporting event not tourism and had the same treatment.

What ? Are you not allowed to run if you are on a tourist visa :)

• 1 month later...

Looks like this clown (the organizer) is still intent on holding the race which has been "banned". Basically, this is a for-profit event run by an "organization" of which there is no evidence it is registered in Thailand, has any Thai people involved in it, has a license for holding such an event, or cares in the least about the protected environment that hundreds of people will "run" through, including the summit of Doi Luang Chiang Dao.

He's just run the same event with about 5 people (which is sustainable), and is adding events for 10 people, which are AFTER the big race which has hundreds signed up and paid.

- https://www.facebook.com/SportNatureThailand/ Still has all the posts and no signs of cancellation on Facebook

- http://ultra-thai.com/packages.php More tour packages, is this a real Thai registered tourism company?

- http://ultra-thai.com/thailand-mountain-trail.php Organization is made up of two foreigners

- https://scontent-kul1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/q84/s2048x2048/11080637_442576435905740_6715390590387610591_o.jpg The actual path, through a large number of protected areas.

- Yet another recent article extolling the greatness, pictures of a single runner, pristine views (and trails) and a few ethnic faces. Yet the reality is 400 actual people. http://www.toughasia.com/blog/ultra-thai-chiang-mai-04-06-12-2015/

And yet another French organization is doing a similar trail, for 30 people over 140km.

- http://thai-ultrarace.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=94&Itemid=105〈=en

- https://www.facebook.com/THA%C3%8F-ULTRA-RACE-214597332061525/

What is it about French runners wanting to drag dozens if not hundreds of runners over protected and fragile trails? The joy of discovery combined with the horror of destruction? Is this really even consciously possible?

This has been clearly opposed and no permission was ever sought (and the route is on some private /protected land that requires permission). http://www.bangkokpost.com/print/551435

The organiser of this event is also very dishonest. I was commissioned to develop the first version of the website for the Ultra Thai Chiang Mai race and was never paid despite promises and assurances (at one point a bank transfer slip was produced, but no money appeared). Just to note, at the time I was working on this site (a year ago), I wasn't aware of the fact it was traipsing though protected wildlife areas.

Archived