25 people charged Bt15,475 for sea foods – fair price?

Thaivisa News

Rayong:- A municipality mayor in Rayong’s Klaeng district checked a beach-front sea foods restaurant Wednesday after a group of patrons cried foul that they were overcharged.

Kachen Jaemsai, mayor of Tambon Sunthorn Phu Municipality, led officials and reporters to the check the shop after a patron posted its bill on Facebook and cried foul that the price was too expensive.

The shop is located on Mae Pim beach. The patrons dined at the shop during the long weekend.

The receipt showed 14 items of foods for Bt15,475. The items included three kilograms of Spotted Babylon snails, each kg for Bt1,000, 3 kgs of barbequed shrimps , each kg for Bt1,600, three steamed sea basses, each for Bt500, and three dishes of stir-fried crab with curry powder, each for Bt500.

The shop owner insisted with the mayor that he did not overcharge the patrons. He said the shop bought fresh sea foods from traders at high prices, prompting the shop to charge patrons higher.

The shop owner insisted that the waiter had informed the patrons of the prices before taking order.

He said the patrons also praised his shop for the delicious foods but when the waiter collected the money, a customer cried foul.

Kachen said he had instructed all sea foods shop on Mae Pim beach to charge fair prices. He said they must clearly show the prices on the menus.

Kachen said his municipality will dispatch officials to check the foods shops regularly. He said shops that charged customers higher than the prices stated in menus would be closed temporarily or their licenses would be terminated.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He said the patrons also praised his shop for the delicious foods but when the waiter collected the money, a customer cried foul.

seafood averaging 619 Baht per head seems quite fair!

seafood averaging 619 Baht per head seems quite fair!

Maybe the customer picking up the tab was not too good at maths?

Love the logic. First someone orders all the food, if prices were not displayed , one would think checking the price before ordering would be normal.

Anyhow, orders , eats up and then complains it was expansive.

Worst part is, complaint is taken seriously and more time wasted to "investigate"

May be I should complain go go bars overcharge in comparison to beer bars or Thai bars

1,600 Baht/Kg for prawns?..................that is definitely excessive and about 4X the price that our local quality restaurant charges.

I am sure your local also serves fresh ones, not the frozen and pays the same kind of rents as the sea side

1,600 Baht/Kg for prawns?..................that is definitely excessive and about 4X the price that our local quality restaurant charges.

one more fairy tale please! cheesy.gif

Thais not ask the price before.

It is not good behavior ask first, no have enough money to spend, loose face.

Mae Phim is my lunchbrake place allways we go to Koh Chang. They sheeting so mutch they ever can.

Last time we order tigerprawns 800gr, 8 pieces, 800b. (1600b/kg never!)

6 came to table, my and my wife asked, where is 2?

OOHMEEFOORGEETSOLLISOLLI.

From that day, no more thai

restaurangs. Only falang owned on the other side of the beachroad.

This article is nonsense. The reporter did a horrible job here.

The total for this meal given the prices in the article come to 10,800 baht, but there was no mention of their drinks and I refuse to believe these 25 people did not drink and drinks for 25 people would not be insignificant especially if they consumed alcohol. Drinks could have easily been 2500. If they left out drinks in their detailed explanation to this slow thinking reporter then what else did they leave out.

The restaurant should have provided them with an itemized bill, so bad on them for not doing that. If these people had asked for an itemized bill then they could have pointed to where they were overcharged and this would not have become a federal case.

Mae Phim is my lunchbrake place allways we go to Koh Chang. They sheeting so mutch they ever can.

"OOHMEEFOORGEETSOLLISOLLI."

Absurd childish Thai bashing

Since you want to mock the way you imagine Thais speak English, what exactly is a "loose face" or "lunchbrake place" or "sheeting so mutch?"

I bet he drove an expensive European brand car.

Pretending to be bigger then life and then going to complain to ... the mayor ?

You got to love the Thai logic

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

"You got to love the Thai logic "

Sort of like the logic of the big time farang who come to Thailand hoping to impress the girls with the size of their wallets (and little else that would be of interest to any woman) and then whine endlessly about the treacherous women with primary school educations who "outsmarted" them and left them penniless.

"OOHMEEFOORGEETSOLLISOLLI."

Absurd childish Thai bashing

Since you want to mock the way you imagine Thais speak English, what exactly is a "loose face" or "lunchbrake place" or "sheeting so mutch?"

one bad shrimp or mussel can make you "sheet too mutch loose motions"! laugh.png

Well, as I'm not in the business of spreading fairy tales, here's a challenge:-

Come to Sisaket and I will personally take you to this restaurant where you will be able to net as many live, large-size prawns as you can eat from the restaurant garden water feature and have them BBQ'd or presented in whatever sauce you desire and, yes, you will be charged 400 Baht/kg at current prices.

I'd really appreciate not having my gems of wisdom derided without any evidence.............................................many thanks guys, and happy eating!

Well, as I'm not in the business of spreading fairy tales, here's a challenge:-

Come to Sisaket and I will personally take you to this restaurant where you will be able to net as many live, large-size prawns as you can eat from the restaurant garden water feature and have them BBQ'd or presented in whatever sauce you desire and, yes, you will be charged 400 Baht/kg at current prices.

I'd really appreciate not having my gems of wisdom derided without any evidence.............................................many thanks guys, and happy eating!

you will be able to net as many live, large-size prawns as you can eat...

"all you can eat" = a clear indication that this is not an "every day offer".

I just spend 8,000 baht recently and had 10 people, I had Lobster,oyster, Tiger shrimp etc.. seems fair when you are talking 25 people with 3 kilos for some items. 16,000 baht / divided / by 25, is like 620 baht a person. I sure they had rice and beer with that too. What this a tour group?

Where I'm from there are two types of C.C., Cheap Charlie or Cheap Chinaman.

How childish you are.

"He said they must clearly show the prices on the menus."

We're dealing with Thai restaurants. Start at square one - a law that requires restaurants to actually have menus.

I've eaten in hundreds of restaurants all over Thailand and it's extremely rare to see a restaurant without a menu. You must eat in some very dodgy Thai restaurants.

Archived