25 people charged Bt15,475 for sea foods – fair price?

Thaivisa News

He said the patrons also praised his shop for the delicious foods but when the waiter collected the money, a customer cried foul.

seafood averaging 619 Baht per head seems quite fair!

When you were working Naam, how much did you make on a good day. Ok, multiply that amount x2. Would you be happy to spend that amount on your share of a seafood lunch back in your country of origin?

619THB is two days wages here. That is why someone spat the dummy out when the bill arrived.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This article is nonsense. The reporter did a horrible job here.

The total for this meal given the prices in the article come to 10,800 baht, but there was no mention of their drinks and I refuse to believe these 25 people did not drink and drinks for 25 people would not be insignificant especially if they consumed alcohol. Drinks could have easily been 2500. If they left out drinks in their detailed explanation to this slow thinking reporter then what else did they leave out.

The restaurant should have provided them with an itemized bill, so bad on them for not doing that. If these people had asked for an itemized bill then they could have pointed to where they were overcharged and this would not have become a federal case.

How do you know the waiter didn't give them an itemized bill? The reporter obviously saw one.

1,600 Baht/Kg for prawns?..................that is definitely excessive and about 4X the price that our local quality restaurant charges.

one more fairy tale please! cheesy.gif

Well, as I'm not in the business of spreading fairy tales, here's a challenge:-

Come to Sisaket and I will personally take you to this restaurant where you will be able to net as many live, large-size prawns as you can eat from the restaurant garden water feature and have them BBQ'd or presented in whatever sauce you desire and, yes, you will be charged 400 Baht/kg at current prices.

I'd really appreciate not having my gems of wisdom derided without any evidence.............................................many thanks guys, and happy eating!

Since you put out the invitation that means you're picking up the check, right?

1,600 Baht/Kg for prawns?..................that is definitely excessive and about 4X the price that our local quality restaurant charges.

Come to Sisaket and I will personally take you to this restaurant where you will be able to net as many live, large-size prawns as you can eat from the restaurant garden water feature and have them BBQ'd or presented in whatever sauce you desire and, yes, you will be charged 400 Baht/kg at current prices.

I'd really appreciate not having my gems of wisdom derided without any evidence.............................................many thanks guys, and happy eating!

lol @ comparing prices of shrimp you had to catch yourself out in the back waters of no-where to those served at a sea side eatery !!

He said the patrons also praised his shop for the delicious foods but when the waiter collected the money, a customer cried foul.

I'm assuming that the new service posted this article to show just how stupid the patrons are. For seafood at a decent restaurant in the US, I'd expect a tab averaging around 20 to 30 bucks per head and (haven't been back for quite a few years so it's probably considerably more). So, what's the issue here? This is non-news. Must be a slow day at the news desk.

And like a number of poster commented, this is 600 THB and change per person. I drop that much every time I take the family to Sizzler. I don't paste the bill on Facebook and expect some news service to pick up on the story that restaurants actually function to make profits. This is ludicrous.

This isn't like one farang going into a karaoke bar in Chiang Mai and getting a group beat-down by the establishment's employees because he couldn't pay 20,000 baht for a couple of beers.

When you were working Naam, how much did you make on a good day. Ok, multiply that amount x2. Would you be happy to spend that amount on your share of a seafood lunch back in your country of origin?

619THB is two days wages here. That is why someone spat the dummy out when the bill arrived.

you seem to forget that the average Somchai who earns 300 Baht/day does not frequent a seafood restaurant eating shrimps. fact is that he can't even afford a cheap fish dish in a proper restaurant. besides... he wouldn't order a noodle soup without asking the price first.

Let me guess ....the patrons were thais...if they were farangs or indians or chinese or other tourists, the thai media would have had a filed day!!!!!!!!!!! Buit its good since the Governmenta nd TAT were promoting local tourism among thais by giving more holidays...hence they are getting " quality tourists!"

Haha Mae Pim beach....I know this restaurant. 100%. Chinese owned. We were 3 Person and paid more then 3000THB. But the prices were declared. So we know it will be expensive. But anyway you don't expect this high price if you see this restaurant from the outside. Just a a standard thai style seafood restaurant. Uncomfortable seats, cheapest dishes and un-educated waiters who forgot at least 1 order. Fortunately next day found out that just 5-10 minutes drive from the beach are many better restaurants which sell the same quality food but for half of the price and more friendly staff and ambient.

3 Kg of Babylon snails. the air freight alone from Syria would possibly quadruple the bill so me thinks they were grossly undercharged. Next time they should order Hat Yai snails, its closer

There is definitely no restaurant in Mae Pim which sells Babylon Snails....

you have any idea what they put in the water to keep those prawns alive?

thanks, but no thanks. not even if you offered to pay, which i note you very clearly did not.

3 Kg of Babylon snails. the air freight alone from Syria would possibly quadruple the bill so me thinks they were grossly undercharged. Next time they should order Hat Yai snails, its closer

Maybe they served the ones that are farmed here..........

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well besides the fact that it might be Tony Bourdain cooking or Bobbie Flay , it should be nobody's business but the Restaurant's owner to Charge whatever he sees fit , one reason rent at your place may be 4x cheaper or more then your place pays in a year they pay a month or spent monies on decor ! The Governor should only see if the Prices were posted or they inform you as you order , as I remember it. Besides those reasons , if they are told as a New Orleans Restaurant does tell people asking for the Menu with Prices " I'm sorry Sir or Madam , but if you have to ask to see a menu for our prices , you cannot afford to Dine here ! " Hell , they have Napoleon Brandy that costs about 150 a snifter with a good shot, but that was 40 years ago , afraid to think what it is now. ! There's a difference in being a good restaurant that's worth the Money and a Place you go to show off , that you have the money ! Rents are what really kills the Restaurant business and drives food prices up in many good joints around the World .

Haha Mae Pim beach....I know this restaurant. 100%. Chinese owned. We were 3 Person and paid more then 3000THB. But the prices were declared. So we know it will be expensive. But anyway you don't expect this high price if you see this restaurant from the outside. Just a a standard thai style seafood restaurant. Uncomfortable seats, cheapest dishes and un-educated waiters who forgot at least 1 order. Fortunately next day found out that just 5-10 minutes drive from the beach are many better restaurants which sell the same quality food but for half of the price and more friendly staff and ambient.

+1

Mae Pim beach is a joke. We once passed through and thought to support the local restaurateurs... after a glance over the menu from the place we picked, we walked out in hysterical laughter (I was the only farang).

Right, 600+฿ for a seafood feast can be a bargain, but not at Mae Pim...

Many seafood restaurants sell at market price plus, so no price is listed on the menu.

You have to ask or risk sticker (bill) shock. blink.png That said the bill while high is by no

means outrageous. coffee1.gif

Thais not ask the price before.

It is not good behavior ask first, no have enough money to spend, loose face.

Mae Phim is my lunchbrake place allways we go to Koh Chang. They sheeting so mutch they ever can.

Last time we order tigerprawns 800gr, 8 pieces, 800b. (1600b/kg never!)

6 came to table, my and my wife asked, where is 2?

OOHMEEFOORGEETSOLLISOLLI.

From that day, no more thai

restaurangs. Only falang owned on the other side of the beachroad.

"OOHMEEFOORGEETSOLLISOLLI."

Absurd childish Thai bashing

Since you want to mock the way you imagine Thais speak English, what exactly is a "loose face" or "lunchbrake place" or "sheeting so mutch?"

Well I'm pretty sure "sheeting so mutch" happens when you go to the wrong "lunchbrake place".

you seem to forget that the average Somchai who earns 300 Baht/day does not frequent a seafood restaurant eating shrimps. fact is that he can't even afford a cheap fish dish in a proper restaurant. besides... he wouldn't order a noodle soup without asking the price first.

Seems to me kind Sir you are out of touch with the workaday Thai. The local goong gattat is packed with locals and they always make a b-line for the prawns. Define proper restaurant for me...

You compare sisaket with seaside place?

Try New York and Penn

Paris and nice

London and ... ...

You compare sisaket with seaside place?

Try New York and Penn

Paris and nice

London and ... ...

Maybe the customer picking up the tab was not too good at maths?

Quite so. I was over 800 baht for a deep fried sea bass in Si Ratcha. One of the problems is that they price fish at so much per 100 gm so it is a bit of a guesstimate. I think in our case they picked the heaviest in the tank.

It is a well known (Thai) restaurant scam that in case you do not check the menu, you can get charged virtually anything. Happened to me too often here in Thailand so I always make sure they show me a menu with prices to avoid this scam.

This article is nonsense. The reporter did a horrible job here.

The total for this meal given the prices in the article come to 10,800 baht, but there was no mention of their drinks and I refuse to believe these 25 people did not drink and drinks for 25 people would not be insignificant especially if they consumed alcohol. Drinks could have easily been 2500. If they left out drinks in their detailed explanation to this slow thinking reporter then what else did they leave ou

The restaurant should have provided them with an itemized bill, so bad on them for not doing that. If these people had asked for an itemized bill then they could have pointed to where they were overcharged and this would not have become a federal case

The group was the local temperance society,again TV posters jumping to concusions.

Where does it say its a federal case ?

No, it's not, it's just over 2 days minimum wage, not every Thai is paid the basic minimum wage.

Archived