Visa B received from Vientiane embassy

Hello everybody, I’m a 24-year-old French student doing an internship in Bangkok for 6 month. As I found my internship in a rush I couldn’t manage the visa procedure in France before departure. After asking some expertise on ThaiVisa http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/820632-ed-visa-application-at-immigration-office-bangkok/#entry9347145, I went to Vientiane for visa application.

Arrival in Vientiane: I flew with Laos Airlines on the late Wednesday flight (as Friday 1st of May was holiday, I had to make the application on Thursday at last) and arrived in Wattay an hour after. The airport was empty so the visa on arrival was fast. Once you pay the $30 you can go through immigration.

I booked a cheap guest house while I was waiting for my plane in Bangkok, it turned out to be very well located. In anyway, the fee for a cab transfer to the city is $7. You can get a tuk tuk but I doubt that prices vary from taxi (although they are much more expensive than in Bangkok, and MUCH slower).

Visa application and collection: Arrived before 8.30 for the opening, as I read on the forum that the waiting line could be quite long. Turned out that we were 20ish people only. Once in the embassy and after filling the application form (which I recommend to print and fill up before) you get a ticket at the counter. My number was called, the immigration officer looked at my documents and stamped my application in 2-3 minutes. Then you can pay the 2000 Bath fee at another counter. Once paid you have the receipt to give back to get your passport on the next day (which was Monday for me), then you can be pretty sure you’ll get it.

On the collection day, the embassy is open at 1pm so make sure to be in front of the visa collection building on time as well (1.30pm) as everybody's running towards the entrance door once it opens.

Regarding the documents required, as I was applying for ED visa for a study internship and not language school, I followed the list from the Thai embassy in France. After all documents checked out, plus the correct visa application and WELL SIZED pictures, I finally have been granted a 90 days “B” visa.

It took me less than 30 minutes for both application and collection. I guess that once you hand in the correct documents and you pay, everything is supposed to go smoothly. After talking with few people there, obviously not on their first visa run, they confirmed me that Vientiane embassy is easy going towards ED and B visa delivery.

About Vientiane: really great place for sightseeing, a lot of places to go around the city. It’s much quitter, peaceful and cleaner than Bangkok and people there are really nice (not saying that Thai people aren't…). However if you’re planning to go out after 11pm, good luck finding a different bar/club each night. I found the cost of living higher than in Thailand, but still cheaper compared to Europe...

Laotian is quite similar to Thai so they will understand if you ask in Thai. However I strongly recommend to learn the basics if you're willing to negotiate or just to distinguish yourself from the typical farang.

And Beer Lao is crazy cheap.

Hope it will help, good luck to you all smile.png

• Like 2

Thanks for this information. Did you meet any blacks or black Africans applying for the Non B visa there? This information will really help me help some Africans in need of the Non B visa please. Thanks a bazillion fold.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks for this information. Did you meet any blacks or black Africans applying for the Non B visa there? This information will really help me help some Africans in need of the Non B visa please. Thanks a bazillion fold.

Anyone who is eligible can apply for a visa, although, those from some countries can only obtain a visa from an Embassy/Consulate in their country of origin

Edited by nzexpat

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Anyone who is eligible can apply for a visa, although, those from some countries can only obtain a visa from an Embassy/Consulate in their country of origin

You are right. It is very difficult for black Africans to get a Non B visa in the neighbouring countries of Thailand now. That is the reason why I was finding out if the OP met some black Africans in Vientiane with Non B visas issued them there. Many are really frustrated here because they can't get a Non B visa around.

You are right. It is very difficult for black Africans to get a Non B visa in the neighbouring countries of Thailand now. That is the reason why I was finding out if the OP met some black Africans in Vientiane with Non B visas issued them there. Many are really frustrated here because they can't get a Non B visa around.

A quick check will probably find that many of these "frustrated" people are banned from securing visas outside their home countries !

" Nationals of certain countries are required to apply for a visa only at the Royal Thai Embassy or the Royal Thai Consulate-General in the applicant’s country of residence, or at the Royal Thai Embassy which has jurisdiction over his or her country of residence. " *

* ref

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15405-General-information.html

The answer is simple smile.png

Edited by nzexpat

I don't remember seeing any black African either during application and collection, to be truth I haven't really paid attention to people's passports (like I said I didn't wait that much at the embassy). But according to neighboring embassies websites the only trouble you can have coming from sub saharan african countries is regarding the visa on arrival.

I'm not sure I can help you more about that...

I don't remember seeing any black African either during application and collection, to be truth I haven't really paid attention to people's passports (like I said I didn't wait that much at the embassy). But according to neighboring embassies websites the only trouble you can have coming from sub saharan african countries is regarding the visa on arrival.

I'm not sure I can help you more about that...

Thanks so much for your concern and reply. Generally they arrive here with tourist visas and want to change to a Non B. I did same but at the time we could so easily get the Non B from any neighbouring country issuing it. But now, it is very very difficult. I heard that Malaysia gives but it takes a month or so.