Canned Baby Clams

niteowl

can you use fresh Short-neck clam instead? :D (maybe it's easier for finding) and they are same species ..scientific name: Paphia Undulata :o:D

ask em .. "hoy lai"

go to local markets as talat warorot , talat ton payorm

maybe u can find it at Tesco or Central Gard Suan Geaw

PS...some books said , baby clam was Meretrix meretrix(หอยตลับ /hoy ta lub /Oriental hard clam) hard to find fresh one in northern part

foto :-

http://www.siamcanadian.com/pop/08_Miscell...cellaneous1.htm

upper left = Hoy TaLab/Meretrix meretrix/Oriental hard clam

upper right = Hoy Lai /Paphia Undulata /Short-neck clam

Edited by BambinA

Ok, thanks, Bambina.

Actually, I'm not certain if I can use those or not. In America, you can buy clams in small cans (like tuna fish), or in slightly larger cans, like mackeral.

But, if I can find the fresh variety, I'm willing to experiment.

Thanks again.

:o

You sure do know your stuff, Bambina.

Looking at the picture, my girlfriend said the scallop-looking ones are called "shell" .... what would you call them?

the scallop in the foto (Chlamys Nobilis)

..it looks alike "hoy shell/" but actually it's not (i dont know how to call it in thai)

(Hoy shell /RADIATED SCALLOP) Mud scallops Amusium pleuronectes

molluscs_products4.jpg

Went to Rim Ping market in Chiangmai today, and bought some "Asian Baby Clams in Garlic Butter". Hopefully, these will do (I'll keep everyone posted). I noticed on the side panel, though, that these have "Soy Bean Oil" added. Hopefully, they're not talking about Soy Sauce.

Thanks again for the posts (and links), Bambina! :o

Went to Rim Ping market in Chiangmai today, and bought some "Asian Baby Clams in Garlic Butter". Hopefully, these will do (I'll keep everyone posted). I noticed on the side panel, though, that these have "Soy Bean Oil" added. Hopefully, they're not talking about Soy Sauce.

Thanks again for the posts (and links), Bambina! :o

Ohh. white clam sauce, what time is dinner?? :D

I've used live, as well as canned, clams and as long as the live clams are small, you should not find much difference in taste. I've also chopped up larger clams and that was fine.

The biggest problem is if your recipe uses the sauce from the canned clams. If it is simply water/ clam juice, no problem, but if you are relying on the sauce (garlic, oil, butter etc) you will have to recreate that, or find a different recipe.

Good luck, excellent stuff!