"cool vests". The water filled ( not wife beaters type)

I see from both Panda Riders,BKK and Triumph official site that they sell a waistcoat type of garment that is soaked in water, (then dry to touch)that can keep you cool for up to 6 hours (so they say).

Anyone own/tried one of these as I wonder how effective they are here in LOS or are they just another gimmick???????

the cool vest works by evaporation, best in low humidity areas, (deserts) in tropical areas with high humidity less evap less cooling, the vest will warm to the ambient temp (30) then you have a 30 temp wet coat on. I have personally experience this.

I have a safari vest from FieldShere. I wore it many times, but not recently. Non of the issues with it are show-stoppers, but they add up to why I rarely do now

I smelled funny after half a day, packing it when you don't need it riding ( it will impart its dankness to everything it touches), getting the wetness right...

Does mine work? Yes, positively cool on many a hot day.

Perfect for day rides when you don't care about the dankness and smell for a day, but sub-optimal for multi day rides... I might be getting lazy in my middle age, but I am unlikely to think of using it again until the end of the rainy season.

I have a safari vest from FieldShere. I wore it many times, but not recently. Non of the issues with it are show-stoppers, but they add up to why I rarely do now

I smelled funny after half a day, packing it when you don't need it riding ( it will impart its dankness to everything it touches), getting the wetness right...

Perfect for day rides when you don't care about the dankness and smell for a day, but sub-optimal for multi day rides... I might be getting lazy in my middle age, but I am unlikely to think of using it again until the end of the rainy season.

I had one in the US and used it riding in the southwestern deserts (8 month motorcycle trip). At first, I would religiously soak it every morning in the motel bathtub. It did it's duty. And if you want to pack it away and not use it, it must be dry or you are going to get the problems listed above. You can always bungee it to the outside of your gear.

But eventually, the shine wore off and I just stopped using it. When I ride, I just accept the heat, the rain, whatever gets thrown at me (though I run for cover with reports of incoming hail). What I really hate is when the rain puts out my cigar.

this is getting away from the ethos of riding

In the same way as ABS/Traction control/cruise control/ armoured jackets/Kevlar/titanium ???

Same thing...Too each their own... Riding is personal, so be it...Do we really need to see somebody going balls out on one wheel down freeway......ala Go pro riders...look at me..

The days of riding without a helmet, wind in your hair... rule in Thailand...

...just saying...old school riders....do it in the dirt..

Cheers Mate

post-7852-0-69316400-1431222594_thumb.jp

I developed a liking for riding in the rain in Singapore... No point in wearing a safari vest in the rainy season though...

I had one in the US and used it riding in the southwestern deserts (8 month motorcycle trip). At first, I would religiously soak it every morning in the motel bathtub. It did it's duty. And if you want to pack it away and not use it, it must be dry or you are going to get the problems listed above. You can always bungee it to the outside of your gear.

But eventually, the shine wore off and I just stopped using it. When I ride, I just accept the heat, the rain, whatever gets thrown at me (though I run for cover with reports of incoming hail). What I really hate is when the rain puts out my cigar.

Archived