DMR: Public not to panic over tsunami rumours

Lite Beer

DMR: Public not to panic over tsunami rumours

BANGKOK, 9 May 2015 (NNT) – The Department of Mineral Resources has asked the public in the southern region not to panic over tsunami rumours, while urging the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation to help spread factual understanding among the public in 23 seaside provinces on the matter, says the DMR Director-General.

Department of Mineral Resources’ (DMR) Director-General Supot Jermsawatdipong addressed the public's fears after the recent quake incidents, in the southern provinces of Thailand. The quakes were recorded at 2-4.6 magnitude on the Richter scale and can be felt in the provinces of Krabi, Phang Nga, and Phuket.

He has said that these quakes are natural and originated from the Khlong Marui active faults that cuts across Surat Thani province and the edge of Phuket province. The seismic activity of this fault will not cause earthquakes measuring beyond 5 magnitude on the Richter scale.

The DMR are now studying the seismic activity of the two faults in the southern region, namely the Khlong Marui and the Ranong fault, as these two faults have exhibited frequent seismic movement recently, with the Khlong Marui fault having already caused 6 earthquakes this year.

The DMR Director-General has mentioned that the DMR is now coordinating with the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation offices in the 23 provinces at risk of earthquake from the Andaman sea and the Gulf of Thailand, to increase the public's preparedness on understanding the situation. Evacuation drills are to be executed in the case of an earthquake or tsunami incident in order to restrain public panic should the situation arise, especially after rumours of a coming tsunami disaster in the southern region.

He added citing date from studies, that tsunamis are possible after an initial quake in the Andaman sea, but it will take time before the tsunami reaches shore. Research shows that waves will take between 1 hour and 20 minutes and 2 hours to reach the seashore.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-09 footer_n.gif

Well... first get the story out, information... then what comes next by locals and the DMR will be interesting as far as culture and technology sharing concerns..whistling.gif

"He has said that these quakes are natural" - yeah I guess they are not man made ....thumbsup.gif

"Research shows that waves will take between 1 hour and 20 minutes and 2 hours to reach the seashore." - and how fast can the so called tsunami alert react and evacuate people ?

The tsunami from 2004 traveled with a speed from 500mph.

But that quake was a 9.3.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake_and_tsunami

It is still in the mind of people.

If there is a long period and no small quakes that is far more worrying than a series of small ones.

Small ones release pressure and ensure large amounts of energy are not stored up

awaiting an abrupt release like the 9.3 scale of 10 years ago. They are also regional settlings

of areas that had released most of their pressure, but are still equalizing a bit.

The small ones are energy release valves, if they are not happening for a long time, then worry.

Not a seismologist myself, but how do they know that it will never exceed 5 on the Richter scale?

Wouldn't like to have property in Phuket now. Just saying, that tsunami is still engraved in everyone's mind. Terrifying....

That's exactly right, seismologists can no more predict the size of the next quake than they can predict its timing. They can only say that this fault has never created a quake larger than X in our recorded history. But they can't predict what will or will not happen tomorrow.

Yes, people are still nervous since the 2004 tsunami, as well they should be. And they should remain somewhat nervous with heightened awareness. Evacuation drills are absolutely necessary, along with preparedness training, which is, I think, the best way to deal with rumors; by building confidence in the emergency alert system. But I don't think it really helps for officials to be downplaying nervousness by saying, "oh, don't worry, this fault never creates quakes over a magnitude of 5.0, and even if it did we'd have a couple of hours to escape." Instead, they should use these tremors and and accompanying rumors as an opportunity to remind people that, yes, you are in a seismically active zone and tsunamis can be deadly, so you and your family should be prepared and knowledgeable of the evacuation routes, procedures and warnings.

Then they (the government officials) should make damn sure that all the warnings and alarm technologies actually work!

Not a seismologist myself, but how do they know that it will never exceed 5 on the Richter scale?

Wouldn't like to have property in Phuket now. Just saying, that tsunami is still engraved in everyone's mind. Terrifying....

They look at the historical record. If a place has had quakes of 9+ Japan, California, Vancouver BC,

they can and in all likelihood have them again. If the biggest quake is a 5+ in the historical record

then it is unlikely to be larger.

Note when I say historical record I do not mean just human history but excavations, sediment studies

to see how far salt water travelled up coastal plains from tidal waves (tsunamis) etc

I'm a geologist and I certainly wouldn't say something like "seismic activity of this fault will not cause earthquakes measuring beyond 5 magnitude on the Richter scale", it's no doubt highly unlikely given its tectonic setting, but there must always remain an outside possibility that it could exceed magnitude 5. Director-General Supot Jermsawatdipong is unlikely to be proven wrong, but he's certainly made himself a hostage to fortune.

You can't stop people worrying when its all still fresh in everyone's mind. That and the Nepal diaster all over the news has got people worried. It was mostly just a matter of coincidence but along with a worried mother, my gf has already left phuket with all her things and motorbike on a bus back home.

Archived