Inquest reveals details of Brits killed in Samui horror crash

webfact

2 year suspended sentence cheesy.gif Was the judge on drugs ?

How can any human brain believe this is a fair judgement ?

No he is Thai and the driver was Thai, and the victims were not Thais - nuff said?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIP, Derek and Mike.

I'm disgusted with the sentence their killer got.

We may not like the different attitudes in Thailand, but this is the standard sentence where there are no drugs/alcohol involved.

I doubt if this is true for a farlung driver and Thai victims

They will need to come up with million or two to compensate the families to avoid some serious time

I can assure you that you are wrong. I was in the court room when the case was heard. Farang driver in a car - two Thais on a bike.

The fine was zero but compensation was 300,000 baht! I'll say it again for those that do not read all of the posts - the foreigner received a two year suspended sentence. It is the standard here unless there are other circumstances.

And to those posters that 'guarantee' otherwise - how are you going to do that?

Id like to know the circumstances of the accident such as "fault" etc insurance for bike etc etc

The 33-year-old driver was later charged with negligence and given a two-year suspended jail sentence with one year’s probation.

He was also ordered to pay a fine of 50,000 Baht, approximately £950

That right there tells you all you need to know about Thailand. In most civilized countries, this jerk would be facing two counts of vehicular manslaughter, and a very long jail stretch.

I love this country, but at times it really is disgustingly sickening.

Really?? Here are a few comparable examples from the glorious, infallible west:

British driver fined GBP1000:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1079178/Olympic-hopeful-lost-control-car-killed-teenage-girl-cleared-death-dangerous-driving-fined-1-000.html

Irish driver fined IP750:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/driver-fined-disqualified-over-deaths-1.926437

American driver fined US$1000

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/maryland/baltimore-county/man-fined-in-baltimore-county-crash-that-killed-5yearold-boy/21871400

Doesn't seem all that 'disgustingly' different, does it?

If I remember correctly they had just bought some food, I think pizza and were walking back from the hotel . Their mistake was to walk on the left side of the road where they had no chance to avoid a speeding car hitting them from behind. If you must walk on a busy road in Thailand, always walk against the traffic , at least it gives you a chance to escape the situation.

They did not make a mistake, the Thai government made a mistake with the sentence they gave the Thai person. you would have got a more severe sentence if you was caught with a single spliff.

RIP, Derek and Mike.

We may not like the different attitudes in Thailand, but this is the standard sentence where there are no drugs/alcohol involved.

I can absolutely guarantee that if it was a farang that killed 2 Thais in a similar accident, then the sentence and fine would be significantly larger.

You can guarantee nothing , I know a guy who had a deadly accident with a Thai and got off with a fine and he had to give some money to the family of the victim....I forgot how much but it was a few tens of thousands....

I'm sure you could be a little less vague,and more factual,as it stands your post says nothing!

RIP, Derek and Mike.

And there are NO police patrolling the roads on Koh Samui !

certainly not a deterant for other drivers is it, the punishment does not fit the crime at all

Deterrent is everything. Only when the punishments start to impact on people's lives in a major way will this country

get some civilised order on their roads. The current situation is pathetic and ridiculous and it is time that appeals were

lodged against these sentences. Then the judges would also get the message.

I think Thaivisa should get an appeals forum and donation box to lodge the appeals. This subject gets almost totally

unambiguous disgust from all Thaivisa members. Its something we all seem to agree about.

What about it people?

RIP to these 2 fellas and their families and friends.

Thailand is not a first world country, and it does not have the same

laws as one. This is understood by all who live there. No surprise.

Any deaths to people who are enjoying their holidays is just tragic, and

I do hope that I can enjoy a lot more trips to Thailand and other exotic

and tropical countries before I am gone.

This is a very sad story!

Archived